Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#5851 Old 13th Dec 2020 at 1:11 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 13th Dec 2020 at 1:24 AM.
^ Oh h*ck yeah... I think those people haven't discovered there's such a thing as "remove doubles" (at least in Blender, but most 3D programs have something similar), and they think UVmapping is as easy as clicking "map this model" and forgetting all about it, which maps the model as if it's a 30000-piece puzzle (often tends to be high-poly, too). How they make the texture look good is a mystery, although I think they texture most of it by drawing directly on the model in the 3D program and use some sort of shadow overlay like ambient occlusion paired with colors to hide all the bad bits (because there's no way they can get a good result otherwise). Usually when you look at the texture you realize it too looks kinda horrible, and it only looks passable when it's on the mesh.

maybe I just wanted to make a conversion or some recolors, but realize the whole mesh needs some fixing first. Some de-polifiying, perhaps (game is probably going to hate yet another mesh with 30000 polys), definitely remapping and retexturing, and... *sigh* realizing it's yet another addition on the long "it just needs some fixing and it'll be passable" list, and ends up in the "maybe later" area that's covered in dust and cobwebs.

Annoys me even more when I see these kinds of items as pay content, especially when I know there are so many great Sims creators who make much higher quality content (with so much better UVmapping, meshing and textures) for free...
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#5852 Old 13th Dec 2020 at 1:20 PM
ooh painting directly onto the model must be very convenient... I didn't know it was a thing. I don't know how to use Blender, for now I stick to Wings3D because it suits my needs and is not overwhelming. The "remove double" equivalent would be "cleanup" I guess? As far as I know there is no option for the program to chose where seams should be automatically, so I do the mapping manually and that's why these high poly confetti maps, well, puzzled me (sorry for the bad pun). I'd rather spend some time on the mapping to save me trouble later because texturing is not my forte...
On the other end of the spectrum I've also seen maps that were obviously made by projecting the mesh in each direction and leaving it like that with pieces on top of each other. Which makes it impossible to recolor with non-solid textures (it's ususally old CC from the 2000s though, graphic quality standards and modelling tools were not the same)
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
maybe I just wanted to make a conversion or some recolors, but realize the whole mesh needs some fixing first. Some de-polifiying, perhaps (game is probably going to hate yet another mesh with 30000 polys), definitely remapping and retexturing, and... *sigh* realizing it's yet another addition on the long "it just needs some fixing and it'll be passable" list, and ends up in the "maybe later" area that's covered in dust and cobwebs.

haha I can relate to that... Sometimes I give up on edits and it inspires me to start a new project of my own. That's what happened when I wanted to recolor a chair from the ATS brasserie set and ended up making some new chairs and a table from scratch
Mad Poster
#5853 Old 13th Dec 2020 at 4:19 PM
"Remove doubles" is a thing in Blender where selected overlapping vertices are merged (but not in a messy way like Milkshape and a few other programs do - Blender can do it neatly without breaking the UVmap), and it's one if the ways to clean up lines after normals where they're not supposed to be. Best used before UVmapping, though. In Blender you can paint directly onto the model, and then render out a texture map. Pretty useful if you get the hang of it. I haven't played around a lot with it (I guess I'm too used to using an UVmap and an image editor).

Projecting UV-maps *shudders* Especially those that are mirrored in the back *the horrors!* I mean - there's nothing wrong with using the projecting UV-map as a base, but then you have to do it right and fix up the mess it leaves (sides, top and bottom). And project the front and back separately, of course.
Mad Poster
#5854 Old 18th Dec 2020 at 12:23 AM
That the K&B stuff pack (or any other SP, K&B just seems like the most obvious one) didn't also include built-ins to make a few different versions of a walk-in closet. I always want to make elaborate walk-ins for my penthouses and mansions, and yet I'm still stuck with the cheap clothing racks that look like the bargain-basement sales racks. Where's my cedar paneling and mahogany trim? Where's my sleek chrome and ironwood?

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Mad Poster
#5855 Old 18th Dec 2020 at 4:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
That the K&B stuff pack (or any other SP, K&B just seems like the most obvious one) didn't also include built-ins to make a few different versions of a walk-in closet. I always want to make elaborate walk-ins for my penthouses and mansions, and yet I'm still stuck with the cheap clothing racks that look like the bargain-basement sales racks. Where's my cedar paneling and mahogany trim? Where's my sleek chrome and ironwood?

===
AND where's the nice hanging clothes, for men and women? And the shelves with shoes, purses, sweaters, hats?

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Alchemist
#5856 Old 18th Dec 2020 at 7:09 AM
I think that would've fit better in IKEA or H&M. With the addons and separates for those SPs, I think you can build a decent walk-in. Wish there was a MALM vanity, though. Don't think I've seen that one. More vanities in general would have been nice, tbh, and yeah, could've went in K&B. It always irked me that we didn't get a modern vanity, other than the TSS one, which is a little girly.

Anyway, this is actually the reason why I finally got defaults for the clothing rack! I started to do more walkins and realized that it was finally time to ditch the terrible textures. I do have some 3t2 racks (or maybe 4t2, I don't remember which), but at least I can occasionally use the Maxis ones now.

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Mad Poster
#5857 Old 18th Dec 2020 at 10:16 PM
GRRRR why couldn't there be a smaller beach lot. I just need a small lot nothing big.
Scholar
#5858 Old 21st Dec 2020 at 12:41 AM
When the nanny makes cookies in the middle of the night, then goes home with them still in the oven, so the fire alarm wakes up everyone just so they can run out and dance around the flames instead of leaving the house, as would be the sensible thing to do.

And when someone puts a toaster pastry in the oven, then goes to woohoo with his wife, and the inevitable fire alarm that results.

And when my son complains about having chicken again for dinner and I tell him that we bought the chicken so we have to eat it and meal planning is not fun. Oh wait, that's not the Sims! (He wouldn't enjoy living in the Sims' world anyway because all he wants to eat is tacos.)
Mad Poster
#5859 Old 21st Dec 2020 at 4:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sturlington
When the nanny makes cookies in the middle of the night, then goes home with them still in the oven, so the fire alarm wakes up everyone just so they can run out and dance around the flames instead of leaving the house, as would be the sensible thing to do.

And when someone puts a toaster pastry in the oven, then goes to woohoo with his wife, and the inevitable fire alarm that results.

And when my son complains about having chicken again for dinner and I tell him that we bought the chicken so we have to eat it and meal planning is not fun. Oh wait, that's not the Sims! (He wouldn't enjoy living in the Sims' world anyway because all he wants to eat is tacos.)

http://www.insimenator.org/index.php/topic,25818.0.html
Though, it doesn't help when carpool comes and other things what cancel sim actions like a fire.
Forum Resident
#5860 Old 21st Dec 2020 at 5:51 AM
When your trying to take pictures for an upload, and the camera moves everyway but where you need it
Mad Poster
#5861 Old 21st Dec 2020 at 8:37 PM Last edited by grammapat : 22nd Dec 2020 at 2:49 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Debby1957
GRRRR why couldn't there be a smaller beach lot. I just need a small lot nothing big.

I had some, maybe from MTS? Don't really remember, thought they were by someone well known...
these?https://modthesims.info/d/195469/lo...ntial-lots.html
EDIT:
...I found a bunch of small lots that contained THREE mods: beach waves, portal car, portal pedestrian, they were here at MTS.

Field Researcher
#5862 Old 23rd Dec 2020 at 4:30 PM
Can I be a little positive and say something I love, instead of a "pet peeve"? I love the fact that when my sims play the video-console game, they stop immediately if their carpool or school bus comes, even if their fun bar isn't full yet. I haven't counted how many times I had sims miss their carpool or school bus because they were playing computer games/watching tv/reading or doing anything else and I wasn't watching them. (It's Christmas time, let's be positive )
Mad Poster
#5863 Old 24th Dec 2020 at 12:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by natbsim75
Can I be a little positive and say something I love, instead of a "pet peeve"? I love the fact that when my sims play the video-console game, they stop immediately if their carpool or school bus comes, even if their fun bar isn't full yet. I haven't counted how many times I had sims miss their carpool or school bus because they were playing computer games/watching tv/reading or doing anything else and I wasn't watching them. (It's Christmas time, let's be positive )

======
OK: I love that Sims really are "color" blind, also "ugly" blind. Of course they still make terrible choices; they will fall in love with a lazy, unfaithful Sim, but they won't reject another sim just because they are ugly.

Forum Resident
#5864 Old 24th Dec 2020 at 5:06 AM
My sims are "color" and "ugly" blind and they don't care either, Just like me. My sims will get along with anyone as long as they have a nice personality. My sims only judge by the person's character. A valuable life lesson for anybody when you can spot it in a life sim. That's why I love sims 2. Your sim could be Smeagol from lord of the rings and his GF could be an insanely beautiful woman. If they turn out to be mean, my sims want nothing to do with them, but if they're nice and get along, great things can happen.
Mad Poster
#5865 Old 24th Dec 2020 at 5:37 AM
My sims are also "age" blind. I need to make efforts to not let elder women flirt with young adults. Especially if he came over for date with her daughter .
Mad Poster
#5866 Old 24th Dec 2020 at 5:43 PM
I don't see my sims choosing the wrong types for relationships too often though there might be big age gaps because a town's popultion isn't very big yet and there's little choice without marrying a related sim.I've been careful to watch my sims closely to make sure they're behaving themselves after a few times things got out of control on me and that's espcially true with stoves as I will restrict them to only sims with three cooling skill points or more.Anyboy with lower skills will prepare sandwiches or cereal if they don't go with salads.
Scholar
#5867 Old 24th Dec 2020 at 10:39 PM
"Sim missed work today, and that doesn't impress the higher-ups too much. You'd better not make a habit of this, or it might be Sim's job next time."

Fair enough on those rare occasions when Sim really did miss work, but nine times out of ten Sim either went to work, got a promotion, and was given the rest of the day off, or Sim didn't get the job until after the shift had started. If I'd told Sim to walk (back) to work, it would have been, "Sim was late for work today. Everybody makes mistakes, but don't make a habit of this or it might be Sim's job next time."

Listen to me, you stupid higher-ups: if you want a Sim to work a partial shift the day they get the job, send a car for them! If you want a Sim to stay on for the rest of the day after getting a promotion, don't send them home!

Grrrr!
Mad Poster
#5868 Old 27th Dec 2020 at 12:00 AM
The bar is empty, and my outing of two sims, teen boy and child girl, siblings and bffs, asks to be seated at the bar. So they're seated five seats apart. No! They should sit side by side: the bar is empty, no one else in any seat. It's not like one doesn't want to be seen out with the other: he's taking her out as her treat for good grades. They like each other. They should be able to throw food at each other while eating. And they're kids. Why would they want to sit in a booth? (I remember being that age and thinking sitting at the bar, way up high, was just the coolest thing ever.)

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Mad Poster
#5869 Old 29th Dec 2020 at 8:07 PM
That the decorated pine tree / christmas tree is the only in-lot tree I've noticed to NOT correctly show snowfall on it from neighborhood view. Like really, if there was ONE TREE to get right, it'd be the christmas tree, wouldn't you think?

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Forum Resident
#5870 Old 29th Dec 2020 at 11:45 PM
Funny how the maxis trees are pixelated in lot and hood view and custom trees are not
Mad Poster
#5871 Old 30th Dec 2020 at 7:10 AM
It's when your chosen terrain template loads up and there's a huge spam of unwanted vegetation all over the place on the map and this used to be the worst on my old computer before my game got hacked out.It;s much easier to work with the terarrains and fox them now that I've got a camera hack and found out that with the town decor tab opened I could hold down ESC and the left mouse button and drag my cursor all over the screen and wipe out that mess.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#5872 Old 30th Dec 2020 at 9:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TadOlson
It's when your chosen terrain template loads up and there's a huge spam of unwanted vegetation all over the place on the map and this used to be the worst on my old computer before my game got hacked out.It;s much easier to work with the terarrains and fox them now that I've got a camera hack and found out that with the town decor tab opened I could hold down ESC and the left mouse button and drag my cursor all over the screen and wipe out that mess.
It's still far easier to download some expertly-made, top quality treeless terrains like THESE ( ), because then you don't have to have a camera mod.

Mad Poster
#5873 Old 30th Dec 2020 at 5:08 PM
I would go with both options and will do fixed versions of the glitchy terrains with all of the vegetation cleaned out as a clean template to put in the neighborhoods folder and it's ready to go except that you still have to put lots down and place your community builds and homes and place new vegetation before playing.I though those terrains would only help with challenges like my BACC when I start adding the neighborhoods to the town.
@Simsample -I will be using the terrrains along with all of the others I've been downloading and will keel the camera Mod because it's too useful to remove and because I still want to make cleaned up hood of the EA templates with the vegetation issues for others who don't want to go to that work or can't.
Mad Poster
#5874 Old 31st Dec 2020 at 12:27 AM
Peeve: when you bin something as earrings, the thumbnail shows a close-up of the ear. When you bin something as a necklace, the thumbnail is a close-up of the neck (although admittedly that's not so helpful when it's a long necklace). Bracelet? Rings? Close-up of the hands.

But when you bin something as a nose-ring, lip ring or eyebrow ring? Full face icon. And no tooltips or custom icons on the jewellery purchasing menu. All I can say is thank goodness I knew how to edit the Gussy Up plugin to make jewellery free so I can buy everything I can't see. At least the next screen shows me custom icons and tooltips!!
Lab Assistant
#5875 Old 31st Dec 2020 at 1:06 AM Last edited by Burnziie : 31st Dec 2020 at 1:39 AM.
Some OFB customers. Had one of those problem ones that would lose stars because they don't want to buy anything cheap, then proceed to refuse any and all types of sells from a gold badger. Had to get that sim to leave ASAP.
Page 235 of 275