Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#26 Old 22nd May 2021 at 8:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
I think the error was that a SimPE plugin file was in the game downloads folder, so causing the problem.

Actually it was the whole SimPE program, which was living in my Tools folder, which had somehow gotten into the game folder (not the Downloads folder, just under the (tm) folder).

So I moved the Tools folder out from under (it could probably have been put anywhere else, as long as the game couldn't see it).
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#27 Old 22nd May 2021 at 10:54 PM
The split thing I don't know about. But I would immediately suspect my antivirus if that ever happened. Make sure all Sims 2 files are whitelisted.

It should only make an additional Barista if a lot has an additional coffee stand that needs filling but this game is known for hiccupping. I would not worry about 1 additional NPC but if you, kill them and add them to a cemetery.

I've used VC for years and most people do. But we all have our own cocktail of mods so I can't say that everything else you have won't conflict with it.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#28 Old 24th May 2021 at 4:05 AM
It all seems to be sorted out now. No more split characters.
Mad Poster
#29 Old 24th May 2021 at 5:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sims2Maven
Getting to the bottom of the bottom of it, my Tools folder (where SimPE and other useful programs live) somehow got inside my games folder, where it had no business being. So the game was detecting something it shouldn't have been able to see, and was messing up in consequence.
I very much doubt if you ever put it there deliberately! It's almost certainly been done accidentally due to "drag and drop", which is a "feature" introduced in Windows 95. The idea is that you click on the file or folder you want to move, you hold the mouse down, and drag it to where you want it to go, and then release the mouse button to put the file or folder down. The trouble is that it's all too easy to drag and drop folders and files without meaning to. You only mean to select a folder or file, but you move the mouse slightly as you land on it, and you've moved it without meaning to. You can do it without even realising that you've done it. It is IMAO the stupidest "feature" Microsoft ever added to Windows, but, as far as I know there isn't a way to disable it. It is especially easy to do when working on someone else's computer, as I had to do when I was providing support.

When intentionally moving files, I always use Cut and Paste -- never Drag and Drop. It's much safer. I wish there was a way to disable moving files by Drag and Drop. Or a dialogue box where you would have to confirm that you really meant to move the files.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Page 2 of 2