Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Jan 2022 at 3:29 PM
If you own any content on Steam, PLEASE leave an honest review to help others out
One thing I really bothers me about the Sims 4 on Steam is that there are hardly any reviews for The DLC, leaving most of them looking like they are awful and terrible which is not the case at all.

Examples:

Discover University - Steam: 52% with 42 reviews

Sims 4 Eco Living - Steam: 66% with 30 reviews

Sims 4 Island Living - Steam: 82% with 35 reviews

Sims 4 Get Together - Steam: 86% with 30 reviews

Sims 4 Journey to Batuu - Steam: 52% with 69 reviews

Sims 4 Realm of Magic - Steam: 68% with 54 reviews

Sims 4 Strangerville - Steam: 77% with 18 reviews

This is just a small subset of all of the DLC available on Steam, but as you can see from the above, there are hardly any reviews, and some of the DLC is heavily negative or positive, making it extremely unreliable to players who might consider purchasing the DLC. There are a great number of those DLC that I don't own myself, and as a result, have not been able to leave a review on. Since I don't have enough information about these DLC to make an informed decision, there are a great number I haven't purchased because I simply don't know if they are good or not...

So my ask is this: If you own any of the above DLC on steam and have not yet written an HONEST review, PLEASE DO SO! This will help out the entire community in understanding which DLC is worth purchasing, and help gamers make an informed decision.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 8th Jan 2022 at 4:10 PM
I try to do that with all the games I have on Steam - I'm one of those people who ALWAYS looks at reviews myself. I do agree that a lot of the sims content on there isn't properly 'ranked' imo. There are packs that have high ratings when they really, really, shouldn't. Especially when it comes to Sims 4.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 8th Jan 2022 at 4:35 PM
There is tons of information about the Sims products so reviews on Steam should not be needed to decide about these items. Reviews are good if people want to do, but also all is extremely subjective, so one person may love something and someone else hate it. IMO research and then judge on your own more?
Field Researcher
#4 Old 8th Jan 2022 at 8:33 PM
Yeah there is no shortage of reviews out there.
But people seem to find it hard to use a search engine, they just go to the nearest forum and post a "should I get it" and then wait for opinions.
Which they have to sort through and judge by their own preferences anyway...
Mad Poster
#5 Old 8th Jan 2022 at 11:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Eehna
But people seem to find it hard to use a search engine, they just go to the nearest forum and post a "should I get it" and then wait for opinions.

I should not say, and I am not suggesting this applies to the original poster, but I have really noticed this a lot the last few years. Folks seem to just want to have things handed to them, many who clearly did not even bother to try to find anything on their own. And I will admit that this irritates me a lot. It is not hard to Google and find things. When I ask questions I have at least tried to find the answer on my own before I do.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 9th Jan 2022 at 8:10 AM
Honestly, go and watch people play/review the individual packs on Youtube. That way you see some of what you get, you see some of the functions playtested, you may see a few of the bugs or annoyances, and you can also make up your own mind regardless of whether the reviewer is positive/negative. At least you can see what they're reviewing instead of watching a number that doesn't tell you a thing.

I watch Carl's sims guides and Lazy Game Reviews for the "lolz" and honest bug reports and critique, and a few others for the "WOWZ LUUVE" (mostly because those love to show off the various features), but there's also several who have more toned down reviews and playthroughs. Usually you get the "love" reviews first after a new pack is released, and then the "bug reports" come in a bit later with all the issues and annoyances.

Extra packs are personal preference, and often based on your playstyle. Some packs will be enjoyed by a lot of people, others not so much, but some people will still recommend the ones you're going to end up not liking, and some people absolutely hate the ones you'll end up loving.
Inventor
#7 Old 9th Jan 2022 at 7:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by verdict0224
leaving most of them looking like they are awful and terrible which is not the case at all.

Where are the lies though? Sims 4 DLCs is lackluster at best, but mostly pretty mediocre. A 60% of positive reviews is GENEROUS. Journey to Batuu 52% is insane. It should be 20%.
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 9th Jan 2022 at 10:33 PM
Amazon reviews ... yeah, I don't trust those much in general. (The book reviews are gamed to an amazing extent.)
Mad Poster
#9 Old 11th Jan 2022 at 3:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
There is tons of information about the Sims products so reviews on Steam should not be needed to decide about these items. Reviews are good if people want to do, but also all is extremely subjective, so one person may love something and someone else hate it. IMO research and then judge on your own more?

Agreed, Youtube is actually better in terms of pack reviews because a significant portion of the active community is there.

The Sim community does not have as much overlap with Steam, IMO.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 12th Jan 2022 at 5:12 AM
During the last sale I thought, I might get something now. So I watched Clint's reviews of Eco and Snowy Escape. I have always liked his reviews, and I like that they showcase a lot. After seeing more again I decided and got SE on half off. And I have been enjoying it. He provided info. I decided. I then picked what I wanted.