Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
#24526 Old 9th Aug 2020 at 4:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
Even though I have a script to clear the cache files every time I start the game, I find that loading TS2 for the second or third time in the day always loads faster than the first time. Any ideas why this may be?

If you aren't powering off between plays, then my suspicion is that your computer still has some of the things loaded in memory so it doesn't have to load them again. You've probably seen how people can recover "deleted" files from hard disks because they aren't truly deleted? Well, memory works similarly. When you quit an application (like TS2), the application doesn't flush everything out of memory. The computer leaves it there until something else has to use that memory. So if nothing else caused that memory to paged out, swapped out or rewritten, then some of your Sims stuff may not have to be reloaded subsequent times you fire it up. That's my theory anyway.

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations

My most recently shared items (with pictures) may also be found here:
HobbesED's Dreamwidth

Advertisement
Mad Poster
#24527 Old 9th Aug 2020 at 4:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
Even though I have a script to clear the cache files every time I start the game, I find that loading TS2 for the second or third time in the day always loads faster than the first time. Any ideas why this may be?

It's because your operating system has a series of caches specifically designed to make it faster to access recently accessed data, independently of whatever TS2 is doing to speed that up.
Alchemist
#24528 Old 9th Aug 2020 at 9:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sugoisama
...bunk beds ... sims would just start throwing errors on the lot with the beds. It's not always, but when it happens, it just keeps going on for basically forever. I looked at the logs it generates, and I think it's because they're all trying to autonomously get into the top bunk, but can't and it just bugs them out. Weird thing is, the top bunks are perfectly usable manually, it's just that sometimes they make sims on the lot bug out like that. Does anyone know how I could fix this? I don't want to remove the bunk beds, so I want to save that for like, a last last resort.

I had a similar issue with the bunkbeds that have ladder animations. It was the same no matter which ones I tried, which was a shame as I really liked having animations. I couldn't find any way to prevent it, except by manually sending sims to bed before they got into the glitch cycle.
These days I am using various bunkbeds which don't have ladder anims - the sim gets in at the bottom and then teleports to the top bunk. Haven't had any of those errors since. Sorry, not the answer you wanted, but at least you know it isn't just you!

If you do find a way to fix it, that would be great info to share with the creators. Maybe there's some problem with the autonomy setup?

My new downloads are on my Pillowfort
Forum Resident
#24529 Old 9th Aug 2020 at 12:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aelflaed
These days I am using various bunkbeds which don't have ladder anims - the sim gets in at the bottom and then teleports to the top bunk.

Wig. I legit can only find animated bunk beds, but those would probably be better, I don't really care for the animations (since the animated ones aren't a whole lot better either), and I wouldn't have to shove 'em in someone's inventory during the day, do you know who makes them?
Mad Poster
#24530 Old 9th Aug 2020 at 4:40 PM
Wig. I legit can only find animated bunk beds, but those would probably be better, I don't really care for the animations (since the animated ones aren't a whole lot better either), and I wouldn't have to shove 'em in someone's inventory during the day, do you know who makes them?

On Simlogical, the bunkbeds that Inge's controllers can call for prisons and boarding schools are like that. They don't require the rest of the set to use as just bunkbeds. They're your bare bones metal frame beds, and they're low comfort and energy, but there are hacks to change all beds energy and comfort, and I'm sure you could clone 'em (or that someone has) and make pretty and high stats bunks.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Alchemist
#24531 Old 9th Aug 2020 at 5:02 PM
...So I started using bunk beds from here, and ever since I started using them sometimes sims would just start throwing errors on the lot with the beds. It's not always, but when it happens, it just keeps going on for basically forever. I looked at the logs it generates, and I think it's because they're all trying to autonomously get into the top bunk, but can't and it just bugs them out. Weird thing is, the top bunks are perfectly usable manually, ...

I don't care for these myself so not sure, but as a stop gap measure, could you turn off autonomy on getting in the beds while you look for a more elegant solution?

Quote: Originally posted by Primavera
My game does that too, but I don't clear my caches every time I open my game. I have empty Groups and Cigen packages, only one that refuses to remain empty is my Accessory cache and I never figured out why ...

I don't clear my caches at all since I don't have enough CC to need to, but I read up on this and, I think, Chris? mentioned using backups of the basic/default caches instead of empty ones, which made a lot more sense to me. The game uses the caches for faster load, so if it has access to the basic/default caches that load all the stuff it expects to see, that should be faster than it having empty ones, right? Just a thought.
Inventor
#24532 Old 9th Aug 2020 at 6:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
I don't clear my caches at all since I don't have enough CC to need to, but I read up on this and, I think, Chris? mentioned using backups of the basic/default caches instead of empty ones, which made a lot more sense to me. The game uses the caches for faster load, so if it has access to the basic/default caches that load all the stuff it expects to see, that should be faster than it having empty ones, right? Just a thought.

I have about 4.30GB~ worth of CC right now, and my Accessory cache bulks up every time I open the game. Only had to delete it once when I ran into a pink flashing disaster, it was well over 100kb. But I never had problems with my emptied Groups and Cigen caches, I'll just have to monitor my Accessory cache from now on.

what_makes_you_haha.mp3
SFS uploads
Lab Assistant
#24533 Old 9th Aug 2020 at 7:57 PM
It is safe to make playable sims into townies using the sim blender?
Forum Resident
#24534 Old 9th Aug 2020 at 8:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Shadow214
It is safe to make playable sims into townies using the sim blender?

It is, lots of people do that to make townies for their game.
Forum Resident
#24535 Old 9th Aug 2020 at 10:22 PM
Hmm I just use the teleporter shrub to make townies with or whatever it's called. I didn't think the sim blender had a townie making option. Time to investigate.
Mad Poster
#24536 Old 9th Aug 2020 at 11:15 PM
Soooo... is $6,227 too much to pay for rent on a really nice 5 bedroom townhouse?
With a garage? (It's the garage that costs so much actually.) *silly sims*

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Mad Poster
#24537 Old 9th Aug 2020 at 11:25 PM
With the amount you have to pay for a dedicated parking space in an apartment in my IRL city, I'm really not surprised.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#24538 Old 9th Aug 2020 at 11:38 PM

Oh, don't place beds in inventry, that makes them buggy.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#24539 Old 10th Aug 2020 at 3:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CatherineTCJD
Soooo... is $6,227 too much to pay for rent on a really nice 5 bedroom townhouse?
With a garage? (It's the garage that costs so much actually.) *silly sims*

Can you make the garage outside the apartment? I did that for some of the EA apartments and placed cars before I switched the lot zoning to apartments. Now my sims have access to cars and don't have to pay an exorbitant amount of rent on the otherwise useless garage space.

Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
With the amount you have to pay for a dedicated parking space in an apartment in my IRL city, I'm really not surprised.

I was househunting online and saw a $80,000 studio listed in an amazing area downtown. It was actually a parking space for sale.
Mad Poster
#24540 Old 10th Aug 2020 at 3:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by inspiredzone
Can you make the garage outside the apartment? I did that for some of the EA apartments and placed cars before I switched the lot zoning to apartments. Now my sims have access to cars and don't have to pay an exorbitant amount of rent on the otherwise useless garage space.

It's especially nice when you do that because every sim in every apartment now has access to the car for free, since it's in the common area. Only downside is that they will keep rolling wants to buy a car because they can tell that there's a driveway but there isn't a car that actually belongs to them personally so they think they can buy one. I actually made a hack to stop that want in that particular circumstance a long time ago.
Mad Poster
#24541 Old 10th Aug 2020 at 4:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by inspiredzone
Can you make the garage outside the apartment? ...

That's how I usually do it. I am doing it different this time - I just didn't think it would up the cost by soooo much! LOL!
But - They are really nice (and big) apartments. So... I guess it's OK.
I tested everything today and everything works/functions nicely - it should be up for downloading in a few weeks.

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Field Researcher
#24542 Old 10th Aug 2020 at 4:11 AM
Does anyone have both Cyjon's Slower LTA Gain and kestrellyn's no LTA Permaplat mods?

I am really happy that I can now unset permaplat as with my wants-based style, way too many sims were too happy too soon in life (I plan to turn it back on for them later in life).

I'd love to use both, but Kestrellyn warns that other LTA mods might not play nice, so I'm wondering if anyone has already tested this.
Mad Poster
#24543 Old 10th Aug 2020 at 4:33 AM
Yeah, those aren't going to work together. I could probably make a version of no LTA permaplat that would work with Cyjon's mod, though.
Forum Resident
#24544 Old 10th Aug 2020 at 12:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Oh, don't place beds in inventry, that makes them buggy.

...is there anything in this game that doesn't make it buggy
Field Researcher
#24545 Old 10th Aug 2020 at 1:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
Yeah, those aren't going to work together. I could probably make a version of no LTA permaplat that would work with Cyjon's mod, though.

It would be awesome if you did! If you have time; if it's not too much trouble.

I love your mod and it comes first, but with twice the lifespan on normal Sims, I reach that permaplat way too young for my born-in-game Sims.
Mad Poster
#24546 Old 10th Aug 2020 at 2:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Oh, don't place beds in inventory, that makes them buggy.

Cars too, if I remember right. Anything that can have its ownership set to a specific sim should not be put in inventory.

Also if I remember correctly - when a sim dies, their inventory gets erased. If Grandpa is likely to meet the hula dancers this evening, be sure and pick his pockets before they come for him.
Mad Poster
#24547 Old 10th Aug 2020 at 3:52 PM
Or load Grandpa up with those super valuable redundant date gifts that you don't want to sell to make your poor family wealthy, but who the heck needs that many expensive fountains and dj booths anyway!

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Alchemist
#24548 Old 10th Aug 2020 at 9:59 PM
I don't have a problem with cars in inventory--though I haven't tried putting an assigned car in inventory. But beds are definitely bad--even new beds, fresh from buy mode, which have never been slept in or touched by anyone, will cause jump bugs once put in inventory. Cars, on the other hand, don't do that, at least in my experience.

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Forum Resident
#24549 Old 11th Aug 2020 at 12:09 AM
That's weird, it was putting the bed in the inventory that actually stopped the jump bug for me
Theorist
#24550 Old 11th Aug 2020 at 4:14 AM
anyone know if there is a fix for the nanny to put the babies back in Inge's reseverable cribs? she keeps layin them on the floor :/
Page 982 of 1346