Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
#26 Old 8th Aug 2010 at 7:20 PM
When you're importing your new dds IMG files I think you're going to need to do each one separately. If you've already changed the FNV hash on them you don't need to change anything during the import step into s3pe.

Renumber in S3OC means you open your package using S3OC and click "clone or fix" on the bottom right panel and then make sure the renumber box is checked in the left panel. Then click the start button. This will internally renumber your files and also make it so that the thumbnails should show up correctly in-game. It also means that if you want to change any of the files you will have to re-export them using S3PE or rename the old ones to match the new ones.

Hmm...ETA: I tried importing multiple image files and it seemed to work ok. The dialogue box that popped up for that didn't have the Use Resource Name box checked off although I don't know if that should matter.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 9th Aug 2010 at 6:53 AM
Hi, I have a question. The custom object I cloned already comes with multiple images (6 to be exact), and what I'm trying to do is to add another image to make it 7. Does this mean that in step 3, I should add another Material?

I followed the steps more or less exactly but th 7th image didn't show up ingame.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#28 Old 9th Aug 2010 at 1:34 PM
You would need to click the Copy button, which adds a copy of the selected material. Then change the Unknown 3 by +1 and proceed to step 4.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Test Subject
#29 Old 5th Sep 2010 at 11:33 PM
First of all, this tutorial is awesome. Thank you for it! I successfully got one working with two images, and then decided to add two more images, which also worked, so I added some more... and now I have an odd problem. The picture has a total of 10 images, and 1-5 work exactly right. However, 6-10 have the same thumbnail as 5. When you click them, the rotating preview shows the right picture, and the painting that appears at your cursor is correct... until you try to move it. Then the image on the painting changes to the same as #5.

I can't figure out why this happens. I've changed the Unknown 3 numbers so they increment (from 0x00000001 through 0x0000000A), and they all have the right images attached, and yet...

Thanks for any help.
Alchemist
#30 Old 6th Sep 2010 at 1:26 PM
Have you tried running the painting through S3OC to "fix" it? I've had issues like this if I add new images to a painting I've already saved once before but running it through S3OC to renumber it has always solved the problem.
Test Subject
#31 Old 6th Sep 2010 at 4:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by orangemittens
Have you tried running the painting through S3OC to "fix" it? I've had issues like this if I add new images to a painting I've already saved once before but running it through S3OC to renumber it has always solved the problem.
I have, but I think I must be doing it wrong. I open the package, click "Clone or Fix...", tell it 'Start', and...

...and this time it worked. >_> Ha! One sec, let's see if that did it.

...yes! Success! Thank you.

Previously, every time I told it to start, it told me something about an unhandled exception because that key was already used. I couldn't find any information on that error anywhere. Hm. Oh well, it works now! Thanks again.
Field Researcher
#32 Old 9th Nov 2010 at 5:34 AM
Default I've done something wrong?

In CAST, the thumbnails match the actual posters.

However in Buy Mode, when it's being selected - it shows just the first image each time. I thought it might be because I haven't deleted the cache, so I did.

But then I realised - that the frames are different on each thumbnail, so it's generated the thumbnail with the different frames.

I have run the package through S3OC, but I'm thinking there was a box I should have ticked or something?

Simthing for everyone

"No Boom Today. Boom Tomorrow. Always Boom Tomorrow" - Ivanova (B5)
Having trouble with the Graphics card and Sims2? Feel free to pm me here, or in this forum at Leefish Sims 2 Graphic Cards
Alchemist
#33 Old 9th Nov 2010 at 12:26 PM
When you run it through S3OC you want to have the renumber/rename box checked. This is the default so I'm guessing that you probably did have that one checked. By that I mean that you want a checkmark in the box to select that option.

Which caches did you delete? There are 4 major ones: CASPartCache.package, compositorCache.package, scriptCache.package, simCompositorCache.package. Also there are the World caches which could be the issue although I can't remember ever having them be the root of this kind of problem.

In looking at the picture you've posted I'm having a tough time figuring out what the posters are supposed to look like and how they work. Are these frames recolorable in CAS or are they a part of the overlay IMG that has the painting image on it also? Are the painting images you've shown when the painting is hanging in-game solid color like that because they are tests?

In making the paintings you followed the directions of this tutorial and the painting recoloring tutorial I wrote right?...that is...you didn't do anything to the thum resource in your package and you didn't attempt in any other way to alter the thumbnails? There were no other tutorials involved?
Field Researcher
#34 Old 10th Nov 2010 at 10:43 AM
That was it!! The renumber/rename box wasn't checked! I don't know why - I haven't unchecked it. I'm not that familiar with S3OC so it wasn't something I noticed. I will from now on though!

Nope - the only tutorials I've followed were yours and this one.
The frames in the picture were recasted - the pictures I did just as a testing thing were block colours apart from the first one. I thought it would make it easier to work out what it was doing.
The Cache that I deleted were the 4 major ones. I didn't touch the thumbnail ones.

Thanks again for your help OM! ((hug))

Simthing for everyone

"No Boom Today. Boom Tomorrow. Always Boom Tomorrow" - Ivanova (B5)
Having trouble with the Graphics card and Sims2? Feel free to pm me here, or in this forum at Leefish Sims 2 Graphic Cards
Alchemist
#35 Old 10th Nov 2010 at 11:44 AM
I'm glad it was that since it's easy to fix. The runumber/rename gives your items unique instance numbers. If you create an obect that hasn't been renumbered it will basically act as a default replacement.
Scholar
#36 Old 1st Dec 2010 at 4:10 PM
Is there a list of the EA paintings with multiple matierals available?
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#37 Old 1st Dec 2010 at 4:14 PM
Not that I know of, but you could always check the paintings in-game.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 16th Dec 2010 at 10:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Plum

And copying the material, changing the Unknown 3 by +1 and adding the rest of the instance numbers gave my painting the nine variations I desired.

This is an extremely important step. Why isn't this mentioned in the actual tutorial?
Test Subject
#39 Old 19th Feb 2011 at 10:08 AM
Did your tutorial and tried to take it to the next "level". I tried to make a painting to be many movie posters. 37 movie posters to be exact.

As you can see I am mostly successful. But 22 images in, the game doesn't make thumbnails anymore for the posters. The Star Wars and James Bond posters are 2 without thumbnails. So the images are linked properly it would seem.

Any suggestions?

Edit: Yes, I just noticed I misspelled "Stood".
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#40 Old 23rd Feb 2011 at 9:50 PM
SHOWER_SCREAM: Because in the tutorial I only used the existing presets, I didn't add to them.

Doczot: Maybe there's a limit? I've never made that many.

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Test Subject
#41 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 6:19 AM
It took me a while to get it right, but eventually the additional painting options worked. Thank you for a great tutorial

However, I seem to have an issue with the painting/photo quality. Far away it looks decent, but up close it's kinda crunchy looking. Is there a way to improve them? The original images are considerably cleaner.
Alchemist
#42 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 10:50 PM
If you changed the IMG size from the original you might get some improvement by changing the mask width and height. Another way of getting your painting to look better is to give the actual painting image you're sticking onto the IMG more room on the map. I usually sharpen my images somewhat also even if they already look sharp enough.
Test Subject
#43 Old 10th Mar 2011 at 9:56 PM
Yes it may be a limit. It just seems that 22 is an odd number for a limit. I could easily understand limits like 7, 8, 15, 16, 31, 32... Anything based on the binary/hexadecimal/decimal system. 22 is just... odd.

These movie posters and others, coming soon in a package near you. ;-)
Test Subject
#44 Old 29th Mar 2011 at 2:49 AM
Can I request an update to the tutorial? I'm lost at step 2.
Alchemist
#45 Old 29th Mar 2011 at 3:10 AM
In step 2 what you're doing is:

1. editing the original overlay IMG so that it looks how you would like your new painting image to look in-game.

and

2. renaming that IMG so that you can later make the new painting image show up in-game.

I'm guessing your question refers to the renaming part. To do this you need to generate a 16 digit unique number (aka a new instance number). The easiest way to do this is to use s3pe's FNV hash generator.

To do this open S3PE and 1. choose Tools in the top bar then 2. from the dropdown choose FNV Hash.

after you do this you will get a popup box. Fill a name into the Text to Hash line in that box. Use something that is long like "mynamepaintingnameofpaintingimagenumberhash" and then click the Calculate button. Copy the number that shows up in the FNV64 box.

Once you have that number you will use this number to replace the overlay IMG's number as shown in the tutorial pic.

I hope this makes sense. If this wasn't the question please post again
Test Subject
#46 Old 29th Mar 2011 at 3:28 AM
Yes I was able to edit the painting in Paint.NET. Added a layer and pasted the picture I wanted. Merged the two layers and saved with new 16digit hash. The part that confuses me is adding more. When I reopen the original file to add another painting and save, it asks me to overwrite the existing file. So that part has me confused.
Alchemist
#47 Old 29th Mar 2011 at 3:39 AM
If you're adding more than one new edited IMG you will need to generate a new hash number for each new edit. Edit the second one, rename it with a second hash number and save.
Test Subject
#48 Old 29th Mar 2011 at 3:44 AM
Ah, that's where I'm wrong. I understood step two to mean use the same hash number for each as it didn't specify. So, only in the end do I give them the same number as the original? Did I understand that correctly?
Alchemist
#49 Old 29th Mar 2011 at 3:50 AM
You don't want to ever give the new edited IMG's the same number as the original. This number is what's telling the game which IMG to use. So you're 1. renumbering your edited IMG to a new number and then 2. going into the TGI Editor box to tell the game to look at your new IMG by changing the original number to your new one.

If you were to use the original number it would simply point back to EA's painting which isn't what you're wanting.
Test Subject
#50 Old 29th Mar 2011 at 3:58 AM
Thank you for clearing that up. I just started doing this a few days ago so I apologize for my ignorance. It should be easy enough now. You've been a great help.
Page 2 of 4