4 people viewing
Replies: 10791 (Who?), Viewed: 502285 times.
Page 432 of 432
Mad Poster
#10776 Old Yesterday at 4:13 PM
Does anybody know why there is speculation being made over ugly pig decor? Look at it. It is the saddest looking pig due to wonky-ass textures or whatever they did to it.

Has the game gotten so bad or boring that anything and everything is now considered a form of speculation? And where does it end? Will it come to a point that if a sim farts at a certain time of day, that too will mean something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBv63DBZZtM
Screenshots
Instructor
#10777 Old Yesterday at 5:08 PM
^ That's nothing. People were going nuts on Romeo's twitter over some wall decor (I looked and I don't even see it) that was perceived to be hinting at fairies being in Cottage Living.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10778 Old Yesterday at 9:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jathom95
^ That's nothing. People were going nuts on Romeo's twitter over some wall decor (I looked and I don't even see it) that was perceived to be hinting at fairies being in Cottage Living.

Speculation is more fun than the game, tbh.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Lab Assistant
#10779 Old Yesterday at 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeservedCriticism
It's funny that they've gotten so political that the moment they refrain from any commentary, we assume something must be wrong. Totally possible it just didn't occur to them, but if not....?

Realistically though, if we assume they would definitely definitely definitely spout their political opinions, getting vaccines/wearing masks is not that popular in the USA. USA was waaaaaay ahead of the world at vaccinating back in March, but now is on the verge of becoming a distant 7th place for most people vaccinated. There's even an irony in USA helping India, as USA still had more despite India's spike that it went through. USA seems to have a lot of doubters, as well as people that don't vaccinate out of fear it'll have a high cost or something. Pushing a mask or vaccine narrative onto them might be unwise as according to at least one poll last year, 23% of the country doesn't want the vaccine, with another claiming the number of anti-vaxxers tends to land between 20-30%. Losing 1 in 3 consumers because you couldn't shutup about your political opinion would definitely hurt. There are no numbers on mask support, but I think a company would play is safe and assume it correlates with vaccination numbers.

Meanwhile, a recent poll suggests 70% of the country supports gay marriage. Similar, no? So why would they be loud about their support of LGBT+? Well, probably because most of the 30% there isn't a part of their target demographic. Support for LGBT is far higher amongst younger generations, which is exactly their target demographic, not to mention it's clear they have fans that will buy packs based on that alone.

For a final comparison, the topic of disabled rights isn't mainstream at all. It's not even something that gets asked or polled because it's so off the radar. Lo and behold, it's the one progressive issue about a minority group that the Sims Team doesn't actively scream about all day.

tl;dr just remember companies are always after profit. One of those political issues is profitable for them, the other isn't. That's why they're loud about one and not about the other.

I can’t say I agree about the team not adding disabilities to the game because it’s not “mainstream”. It’s more than likely because it would take a shit ton of resources (way more than the gender options and clothing unlocks did) to add to the game.

Especially when it comes to the disabilities I see brought up the most often. The biggest one being disabled sims who need wheelchairs. There would need to be a major overhaul of the routing system and the ways in which sims interact with just about every object in the game to get this right. Hell, it might even require digging in to the core of the game, which is already shaky as it is. EA isn’t likely to allow for those kinds of changes this far in. Another one I see a lot is amputee sims, which would require a lot of new animations. Then there’s the question of prosthetics or other assistive devices...

It’s complicated. But their lack of inclusion in the Sims 4 doesn’t mean that the team is writing off disabled people wanting representation because it’s not “popular” or “trendy” to talk about disability rights.
Test Subject
#10780 Old Yesterday at 11:42 PM
Disabilities would be very hard to animate. From a team that is clearly incapable of making animations efficiently. Plus there’s a nearly endless range of disabilities, and there would absolutely need to be a lot of study and involvement with organizations to make sure they do it in a sensitive and “correct” way.
The options in game for sex are literally simple mesh changes. It’s not like they have an in-game system for sims to get in-depth sex changes.
It always reads strangely to me when something existing is met with “if this exists, then this should’ve already existed before it”. We shouldn’t put down progress to promote other progress. We can have both, we probably should have both, but this is a lazy game from a lazy company. Sex/gender options didn’t take them much effort at all to code, and that’s why we have it.
It’s just weird to me that having sex options in the game is such a big deal for some people. Like, this is the second time I’ve seen it’s being discussed in some way like EA is some major evil corporation for including people, and you’d rather those people be excluded because… well I’m not quite sure why.
Mad Poster
#10781 Old Today at 1:15 AM
Well I seen a mld that used a bike object as a wheelchair. Of couese doesn't simulate fully, but if devs were smart and compotent...

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Instructor
#10782 Old Today at 6:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alunn
I can’t say I agree about the team not adding disabilities to the game because it’s not “mainstream”. It’s more than likely because it would take a shit ton of resources (way more than the gender options and clothing unlocks did) to add to the game.

Especially when it comes to the disabilities I see brought up the most often. The biggest one being disabled sims who need wheelchairs. There would need to be a major overhaul of the routing system and the ways in which sims interact with just about every object in the game to get this right. Hell, it might even require digging in to the core of the game, which is already shaky as it is. EA isn’t likely to allow for those kinds of changes this far in. Another one I see a lot is amputee sims, which would require a lot of new animations. Then there’s the question of prosthetics or other assistive devices...

It’s complicated. But their lack of inclusion in the Sims 4 doesn’t mean that the team is writing off disabled people wanting representation because it’s not “popular” or “trendy” to talk about disability rights.

Was merely an example, I'm aware there#s other reasons not to add it.

Beyond the game though, they're sure as hell not loud about the topic and, on the contrary, have had a questionable past with the topic, outright banning users for bringing it up.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
DELETED POST
Today at 10:24 AM
This message has been deleted by Inge Jones. Reason: Off topic
Scholar
#10783 Old Today at 2:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle Cat
Does anybody know why there is speculation being made over ugly pig decor? Look at it. It is the saddest looking pig due to wonky-ass textures or whatever they did to it.

Has the game gotten so bad or boring that anything and everything is now considered a form of speculation? And where does it end? Will it come to a point that if a sim farts at a certain time of day, that too will mean something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBv63DBZZtM

Still not as bad as the Super Smash Bros community thinking that there was some significance in the color of chairs in the background of a conference.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Mad Poster
#10784 Old Today at 3:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassoon_crazy
Still not as bad as the Super Smash Bros community thinking that there was some significance in the color of chairs in the background of a conference.

EA Live is coming in July. I'm sure people will spot all kinds of things to speculate about. Maybe Android Wilson will show up in a werewolf costume or something. I'm kidding, kind of.
Instructor
#10785 Old Today at 3:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassoon_crazy

Wasn't there something similar early on with TS4 where on Twitter there was like this pic of some fountain jets of different colors or something and everyone lost their shit because some of them matched the pack colors (GTW - Orange, GT - Purple, etc). Then everyone was speculating the rest must be upcoming packs, nevermind that it would've been impossible to tell what they were even going to be at the time even if that had been the case.

Top Secret Researcher
#10786 Old Today at 3:13 PM
Quote:
Wasn't there something similar early on with TS4 where on Twitter there was like this pic of some fountain jets of different colors or something and everyone lost their shit because some of them matched the pack colors (GTW - Orange, GT - Purple, etc). Then everyone was speculating the rest must be upcoming packs, nevermind that it would've been impossible to tell what they were even going to be at the time even if that had been the case.

Yeah humans always want to see patterns in everything, our brains are tuned for it. And sometimes this leads to "theories" like that

There's people in the Game of Thrones/Song of Ice and Fire fandom who count the number of times of how often certain characters walk up and down the stairs in the novels and are completely convinced that it is some hidden code with clues to the ending of the story.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Instructor
#10787 Old Today at 3:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphalesion
Yeah humans always want to see patterns in everything, our brains are tuned for it. And sometimes this leads to "theories" like that

Yeah, but there's a difference between obvious hinting and "looking for clues where there are none".

Throughout the entirety of TS4, EA has never provided speculation for anything they didn't want people to know ahead of time. When something is "leaked", it's so in your face that it's pretty much impossible not to guess what it's going to be at that point.

Any other time, the devs consistently point out that just because something is there doesn't mean it's speculation for anything. All the endless speculation serves to do is get peoples hopes up. Look at the speculation for a farming pack vs what they're actually giving people with Cottage Living. Not what most had in mind, is it? Lol.

Mad Poster
#10788 Old Today at 6:42 PM
Yeah, speculation in the sims community is like stretching. Personally I don't see the point or fun speculating on things based on thrown memos in items and etc.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Top Secret Researcher
#10789 Old Today at 7:04 PM
Quote:
Yeah, but there's a difference between obvious hinting and "looking for clues where there are none".

Throughout the entirety of TS4, EA has never provided speculation for anything they didn't want people to know ahead of time. When something is "leaked", it's so in your face that it's pretty much impossible not to guess what it's going to be at that point.

Any other time, the devs consistently point out that just because something is there doesn't mean it's speculation for anything. All the endless speculation serves to do is get peoples hopes up. Look at the speculation for a farming pack vs what they're actually giving people with Cottage Living. Not what most had in mind, is it? Lol.

But that's what I meant, people see patterns and clues even when there's absolutely nothing there, especially if they want something specific to happen, and that happens in every popular fandom.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Instructor
#10790 Old Today at 7:24 PM
Quote:
But that's what I meant, people see patterns and clues even when there's absolutely nothing there, especially if they want something specific to happen, and that happens in every popular fandom.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, the Sims community in particular can often lend itself to "wishful thinking". I get that people can get excited about getting their favorite things in game, but with EA I personally like to keep my expectations as low as possible.

Top Secret Researcher
#10791 Old Today at 7:51 PM
Humans have a need for narrative, and we don't always need much raw material for it.
Mad Poster
#10792 Old Today at 9:11 PM
Quote:

Yeah, with the Sims, it’s almost like a TV series and we’re just waiting for the next episode. Admittedly the latest reboot isn’t very good (let alone the last season), but people have already invested too much time into watching it to give it up.
Page 432 of 432