Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Dec 2019 at 10:12 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Body Shop won't open
So, my body shop won't open. At first I loaded it up and it loaded fine, but it crashed mid-way. So I try again and then it freezes up and I leave it to think all night, I wake up in the morning and it's still frozen. I close it, restart my computer, then try again. It then says it can't open because something else sim related is open. NOTHING else sim related was open, I even checked task manager and I had freshly restarted my computer. I deleted all the cache, the cigen, and moved my projects from bodyshop to another folder. Still nothing, I'm using the bodyshop that belongs to the latest EP I have. I'm not sure what's going on..
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 5th Dec 2019 at 10:23 PM
Are you using the AL or M&G Bodyshop? (M&G is considered the last EP by the game, and is the one you should use if you have M&G)

Have you tried deleting cache files? Bodyshop can and will throw a tantrum if these files get corrupted (which they frequently do). Accessory.cache + cigen.package + Groups.cache + Contentregistry. TS2Exception files can occasionally cause issues too (the ones popping up in the same folder when Bodyshop crashes).
(I usually have to delete cache files every time I open Bodyshop, and especially if I've made any sims or projects, or if Bodyshop or TS2 has crashed)

Did you by any chance click to open Bodyshop twice? That could cause the second one to throw errors. Other than that, Bodyshop will usually react like this to SimPE, Homecrafter and TS2.

If you have a lot of CC, have you tried running Bodyshop with less? Could be an item that causes crashes.

The crashes (if not directly related to borked CC) could be due to a RAM issue, since Bodyshop is 32bit and can only use 2GB by default.
(I've done the 4GB fix on my EXE file, which seems to make it run better. Could be worth a try.)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Dec 2019 at 10:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Are you using the AL or M&G Bodyshop? (M&G is considered the last EP by the game, and is the one you should use if you have M&G)

Have you tried deleting cache files? Bodyshop can and will throw a tantrum if these files get corrupted (which they frequently do). Accessory.cache + cigen.package + Groups.cache + Contentregistry.
(I usually have to delete cache files every time I open Bodyshop, and especially if I've made any sims or projects, or if Bodyshop or TS2 has crashed)

Did you by any chance click to open Bodyshop twice? That could cause the second one to throw errors. Other than that, Bodyshop will usually react like this to SimPE, Homecrafter and TS2.

If you have a lot of CC, have you tried running Bodyshop with less? Could be an item that causes crashes.

The crashes (if not directly related to borked CC) could be due to a RAM issue, since Bodyshop is 32bit and can only use 2GB by default.
(I've done the 4GB fix on my EXE file, which seems to make it run better. Could be worth a try.)

As I said in my original post, yes I deleted all the cache files and the cigen. I'm using the Mansion and Garden stuff bodyshop too. I deleted a bunch of CC from my game and my game itself is running fine but bodyshop is a different story.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 6th Dec 2019 at 1:06 AM

Have you tried deleting cache files? Bodyshop can and will throw a tantrum if these files get corrupted (which they frequently do). Accessory.cache + cigen.package + Groups.cache + Contentregistry. TS2Exception files can occasionally cause issues too (the ones popping up in the same folder when Bodyshop crashes).

I've done the 4G patch to no avail, i only clicked once, no TS2 Homecrafter or SimPE open, I mean it could be CC but I just deleted some from my game and the game itself runs fine
Forum Resident
#5 Old 6th Dec 2019 at 3:50 AM
Do you have a lot of Sims in your Saved Sims file? My BodyShop gets a bit finicky and will crash whenever I scroll through a few screens of custom Sims.

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations

My most recently shared items (with pictures) may also be found here:
HobbesED's Dreamwidth

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 6th Dec 2019 at 4:03 AM
Try making a new sims 2 folder by renaming the current one and loading the game. Then exit and try and load Body Shop.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 6th Dec 2019 at 5:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HobbesED
Do you have a lot of Sims in your Saved Sims file? My BodyShop gets a bit finicky and will crash whenever I scroll through a few screens of custom Sims.

I have 471 files in my savedsims folder, but it's all of projects I've completed on bodyshop, or so it looks like. I don't have very many savedsims in the game itself.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 6th Dec 2019 at 3:35 PM
Try moving those files over to your Downloads folder. The SavedSims folder can be finnicky with other files too.
Alchemist
#9 Old 6th Dec 2019 at 7:57 PM
task manager; sometimes processes seemingly not related to this game also run while game/program runs.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 7th Dec 2019 at 12:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mdsb759
task manager; sometimes processes seemingly not related to this game also run while game/program runs.

I check task manager all the time. No other programs open. The background processes (58) all seem to be things that are "needed" running in the background.

ALPS pointing Device Driver

Anti-malware Service Executable

APMsgFwd

Application Frame Host

Bluetooth Radio Management

COM surrogate

Cortana

Google Crash Handler

HidMonitorSvc Application

Microsoft Edge

and other Microsoft related things.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 7th Dec 2019 at 12:41 AM
^ I've turned off Cortana (I think? Windows keeps doing weird things, and I'm still not used to the new task manager) on my laptop. There's a lot of data collecting going on behind the scenes in Win10, so you may want to turn some of it off. It's mostly straightforward in the settings, just buttons you can click off. I've turned off at least 50% (possibly more) of all these, basically anything that collects data or lowers performance (like any kind of see-through Aero outlay - looks cool but is a big hog on resources) and lowering the resolution could also help a bit (unless you absolutely need 4K or some other ultra high resolution for a huge screen, around 1920x1080 is perfectly fine for a 15-17'' laptop, maybe more for a standard slightly bigger desktop screen). Win10 straight out of the box is a big resource hog in general. I did notice a slight performance boost after I'd done these changes.

Which antivirus/malware program are you using? A few are worse than others. I've had tons of issues with (an older version of) Norton, for instance. It made my TAB camera ingame go all bonkers if it started scans in the background. One program kept quarantining the older versions of Bodyshop (can't remember which).

Basically, the fewer programs running, and the fewer resources they're using, the more is freed up for the programs you're opening and/or actively using.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 8th Dec 2019 at 2:07 AM
^ I've turned off Cortana (I think? Windows keeps doing weird things, and I'm still not used to the new task manager) on my laptop. There's a lot of data collecting going on behind the scenes in Win10, so you may want to turn some of it off. It's mostly straightforward in the settings, just buttons you can click off. I've turned off at least 50% (possibly more) of all these, basically anything that collects data or lowers performance (like any kind of see-through Aero outlay - looks cool but is a big hog on resources) and lowering the resolution could also help a bit (unless you absolutely need 4K or some other ultra high resolution for a huge screen, around 1920x1080 is perfectly fine for a 15-17'' laptop, maybe more for a standard slightly bigger desktop screen). Win10 straight out of the box is a big resource hog in general. I did notice a slight performance boost after I'd done these changes.

Which antivirus/malware program are you using? A few are worse than others. I've had tons of issues with (an older version of) Norton, for instance. It made my TAB camera ingame go all bonkers if it started scans in the background. One program kept quarantining the older versions of Bodyshop (can't remember which).

Basically, the fewer programs running, and the fewer resources they're using, the more is freed up for the programs you're opening and/or actively using.

My current anti-malware program is Norton 360 or something like that. I haven't experienced my tab mode going crazy yet tho.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 8th Dec 2019 at 2:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Try making a new sims 2 folder by renaming the current one and loading the game. Then exit and try and load Body Shop.

I did that, and body shop still won't open and is still giving me the same error message. Of can't open cause other sim related programs are open. Am I supposed to delete the old folder?
Mad Poster
#14 Old 8th Dec 2019 at 2:19 AM
It was an older version (back in 2009/10 I think), and just an example of bizarre things antivirus programs can sometimes do.
If there's a quarantine option in your AV program, make sure it hasn't randomly put any sims-related things in there.

Did you delete the caches (2-4 files) and crash dump files (if there were any) between the crash and restarting Bodyshop? I know you said you usually delete the cache files, but it's easy to forget this step even if you regularly delete caches. I've found Bodyshop is particularly sensitive, especially if you have a lot of CC.

The times you've managed to open Bodyshop, does it crash in random spots or in the same category/area every time? Could be useful for you to know in regards to borked CC. Sometimes you need to click on the items for them to cause crashes, while other times they'll cause crashes while the program tries to load them up.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 8th Dec 2019 at 2:22 AM
It was an older version (back in 2009/10 I think), and just an example of bizarre things antivirus programs can sometimes do.
If there's a quarantine option in your AV program, make sure it hasn't randomly put any sims-related things in there.

Did you delete the caches and crash dump files between the crash and restarting Bodyshop?

The times you've managed to open Bodyshop, does it crash in random spots or in the same category/area every time? Could be useful in regards to borked CC. Sometimes you need to click on the items for them to cause crashes, while other times they'll cause crashes while the program tries to load them up.

It's not even crashing anymore, it just refuses to open. It'll do nothing. And sometimes it'll say "Make sure no other sim related tools are open before starting bodyshop" I delete the caches before i start up bodyshop every time.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 8th Dec 2019 at 2:23 AM
Even after a complete computer shutdown and restart? If so, that's strange. A complete shutdown should quit all processes. Unless Bodyshop has somehow been tampered with by for instance an AV program.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 8th Dec 2019 at 2:28 AM
Even after a complete computer restart? If so, that's strange. A complete shutdown should quit all processes.

Even after a restart... Not sure what else to do. I tried turning wifi off. I'll have to check the Anti-virus section, but even after creating a new folder like the other person suggested body shop just refuses to open..
Mad Poster
#18 Old 8th Dec 2019 at 2:30 AM
If you go to the "C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Mansion & Garden\CSBin" folder (or in the SP9/CSBin folder if you have the UC), is Bodyshop still there, and does it have a time stamp either for 2008 or for 2014/15 (or whatever the correct UC stamp is, I can't check atm), or has anything in the M&G or SP9 "\TSData\Res\CSConfig" folder been changed after the problem started happening? If anything has a 2019 time stamp something could have happened (they should all say either 2008 or around 2014/15, as long as you haven't been doing any GraphicRules/VideoCards editing lately).

In "Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Logs" (or the UC version), are there any recent files? If there are any very recent "Sims2Exception" files, try to move them out of your game and see if Bodyshop runs. I'm not sure if it's possible to figure out the problem by reading through them, but could be worth a try. There's usually two files for each crash - one should be a readable text file, the other a ".mdmp" file.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 8th Dec 2019 at 2:50 AM
If you go to the "C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Mansion & Garden\CSBin" folder (or in the SP9/CSBin folder if you have the UC), is Bodyshop still there, and does it have a time stamp either for 2008 or for 2014/15 (or whatever the correct UC stamp is, I can't check atm), or has anything in the M&G or SP9 "\TSData\Res\CSConfig" folder been changed after the problem started happening? If anything has a 2019 time stamp something could have happened (they should all say either 2008 or around 2014/15, as long as you haven't been doing any GraphicRules/VideoCards editing lately).

In "Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Logs" (or the UC version), are there any recent files? If there are any very recent "Sims2Exception" files, try to move them out of your game and see if Bodyshop runs. I'm not sure if it's possible to figure out the problem by reading through them, but could be worth a try. There's usually two files for each crash - one should be a readable text file, the other a ".mdmp" file.

The body shop timestamp is December 5th, 2019. I have done some graphics editing to change the screen resolution, and to try and fix CAS mode crashing so much.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 8th Dec 2019 at 3:09 AM
Unless you've done anything (like the 4GB fix) to the Bodyshop file 3 days ago, there's a chance it may somehow have gotten corrupted when it crashed. If so, it should be fixable by replacing it with the original file. Do you have the UC or CD version of TS2?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#21 Old 8th Dec 2019 at 9:03 PM
Unless you've done anything (like the 4GB fix) to the Bodyshop file 3 days ago, there's a chance it may somehow have gotten corrupted when it crashed. If so, it should be fixable by replacing it with the original file. Do you have the UC or CD version of TS2?

Yes I believe so. I just have to figure out, how exactly do you replace it?
Mad Poster
#22 Old 8th Dec 2019 at 9:15 PM
Do you have the UC or the CD version?

For the UC I'd probably say fix on Origin if I didn't know how many issues that can create, but if you can avoid it that's best.
For the CDs, you may be able to copy the file off the CD and replace that way.

I'm not sure if there is a difference between the versions (if the default files have the same date stamp they're probably the same, but if the date stamp is different, I suspect there may be a few small changes between them).
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#23 Old 8th Dec 2019 at 11:15 PM

For the UC I'd probably say fix on Origin if I didn't know how many issues that can create, but if you can avoid it that's best.

I'm not sure if there is a difference between the versions (if the default files have the same date stamp they're probably the same, but if the date stamp is different, I suspect there may be a few small changes between them).

I have the CD version
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#24 Old 9th Dec 2019 at 9:44 PM

I think I finally fixed it! It booted up and I was able to make creations without the thing crashing. Thank you so much for your help!
Scholar
#25 Old 12th Dec 2019 at 1:39 AM
Bluetooth Radio Management - are you use Bloetooth devices? if not: disable

Cortana - disable *like now*

Google Crash Handler - disable, not needed, neither useful

Microsoft Edge - really? Use Chrome if you like to work for free for Google, or some Gecko (Firefox etc.) derivatives, Even MS gave up on Edge

and other Microsoft related things.

disable things which you're not really using (e.g. printer service, numerous update "absolutely needed" services from Adobe, and others);

in general: disable everything which you do not actively use (for safety reason set as not "disabled" but "on demand"). Leave MS services until you know what they are doing, except these obvious (like Cortana).

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"