Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Dec 2020 at 4:40 AM Last edited by Simzak : 24th Dec 2020 at 4:55 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default stdMatEmissiveCoef not glowing problem
Hi all! I'm sorry if this has been answered already, but I've been scouring the internet for awhile and have yet to find any solutions. I'm having some trouble with accessories, skins and hair not glowing when they are supposed to in Sims 2.
For example, these genetics: https://modthesims.info/d/152951/gl...m-genetics.html
As well as some content from SynapticSim's lair (skintone here , accessories here, or another skintone from here. Here is a bodyshop image of the glowing Captain Marvel skintone versus the equivalent non-glowing one (yes, they look the same), as well as sims using both Bink13y's and the Majesdanian skintones.

They all have their stdMatEmissiveCoef value at somewhere above 0 to 1... But none of them are glowing at all, which I'm kind of bummed about and want to fix.

Additional information: I used to play on Mac, but I (relatively) recently switched to Windows with BootCamp. I've got everything to Mansion and Garden now. Specs:
3.3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5
Memory: 16 GB
Graphics: Intel Iris Plus 650 1536 mb.
64-bit operating system
Windows:
Windows 10 Home

I have tons of CC installed, but no other problems I haven't solved (been playing since 2006, so I'm very used to troubleshooting even if it's from CC)

What I have tried so far:
-Played around and tried various settings for resolutions, lighting, texture, resolutions, shadows etc.
-4GB patch installed
-Weird blue shoreline and water fixed
-Gunmod's Radiant Mod installed and uninstalled with Scriptorium. I tested both. (Maybe I need to uninstall manually?)
-Graphic Rules program used, various different settings chosen and played around with

I think that maybe I'll have to change another setting in graphic rules, but am unsure which... Or maybe this is a Bootcamp problem? I'm really at a loss, but would appreciate any input that anybody has. I hope my post was complete enough.
This is the only current issue with my game (other than maybe speed, but the GBs of CC explain that lol).

Thank you for any insight you might have!
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 24th Dec 2020 at 6:17 PM
Mad Poster
#3 Old 24th Dec 2020 at 8:35 PM
Do you have UseShaders enabled?
The graphics you have look like a chip, so could be it struggles with shaders. You might want to check if other shaders are showing properly, like pool water, fishes in aquariums, bump maps, etc.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 25th Dec 2020 at 12:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Do you have UseShaders enabled?
The graphics you have look like a chip, so could be it struggles with shaders. You might want to check if other shaders are showing properly, like pool water, fishes in aquariums, bump maps, etc.

This worked, thank you so much!

Now I have a new problem... Whenever I change this specific value "stdMatEmissiveCoef", it reverts when I open Body Shop and does not display correctly. What I changed before this fix would save properly, so I'm not sure what's going on this time. I'm confirming every edit I do with SimPE and saving the doc. I'm able to open the .package file and see that the values saved properly... Except when I open Body Shop. After I open Body Shop and return to the .package file, it has reset to 0. I've tried this with a hair and some clothing now, so I'm not sure what the issue is.

Thanks again! I really appreciate it.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 25th Dec 2020 at 1:24 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 25th Dec 2020 at 1:42 AM.
Not entirely sure if Bodyshop is able to show all the various shaders perfectly. Bumpmaps - yes. Anything else - it varies.

It shouldn't change settings on anything unless you make new files with it, though. Make sure you don't have double sets of the files anywhere. If you've changed your GraphicRules, you may want to copy it over from the Config to the CSConfig folder (but take a backup of the original from there just in case), as that's where Bodyshop gets its settings.

---------

If you're making recolors in Bodyshop, make sure you're using the proper files.

The package files you want to use are found in SavedSims. When you click "import to game" Bodyshop saves the proper files in SavedSims - these files have an 8 digit number in front of the name you used for the project, something like "5f431a01_projectname.package". The edits for these files should stick.

The files found in the Projects folder are templates and should NOT be used for gameplay - they're only good for Bodyshop projects (don't touch these, and there's no point in editing them in SimPE because the edits don't seem to stick, and sometimes editing them makes the project unusable). These files also won't show up in yours or anyone else's game, so it's pointless to upload them or put them in your Downloads folder. Projects are reusable (hence the "template files") so if you want to make ten recolors of the same item you don't have to make ten projects, but can instead use the same project and rename the files from SavedSims later.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 26th Dec 2020 at 5:52 PM
Ah, thank you so much! That was it. Everything is working now! Have a great day, and I appreciate all of your help.