Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Apr 2021 at 4:03 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Clean Installer freezing/crashing computer
I recently downloaded a bunch of walls and floors, most in Sims2packs. I am using Clean Installer to install the package files into the correct directory (Downloads/Creator/Series), and renaming each gibberish file to something meaningful as I go. After 7-12 files, the Clean Installer freezes. It will not let me select the path. It is “not responding” according to Windows 10. It freezes the computer so I can’t do anything else, either. I *think* it is related to One Drive and how many operations it can queue up, but I am no Windows expert after spending the previous 15 years on a Mac. Any insight into what is going on? I have hundreds of files to go, and this isn’t helping.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 5th Apr 2021 at 11:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rhiamom
I recently downloaded a bunch of walls and floors, most in Sims2packs. I am using Clean Installer to install the package files into the correct directory (Downloads/Creator/Series), and renaming each gibberish file to something meaningful as I go. After 7-12 files, the Clean Installer freezes. It will not let me select the path. It is “not responding” according to Windows 10. It freezes the computer so I can’t do anything else, either. I *think* it is related to One Drive and how many operations it can queue up, but I am no Windows expert after spending the previous 15 years on a Mac. Any insight into what is going on? I have hundreds of files to go, and this isn’t helping.

Sounds like a One Drive issue rather than a Clean Installer issue. One Drive has had other bad effects on sims games and other programs, it deleted some important Word documents on my PC. I would diable/uninstall/get rid of it.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#3 Old 5th Apr 2021 at 11:35 PM
^ Most likely. The OneDrive issue is one a lot of people have had problems with, so deactivate or uninstall it if you don't use it for anything.

Also check the Task Manager to see if the main Disc is stuck at around 50% or seems to be at "100% active time", because it's not supposed to do that especially when idling. It can cause Windows to freeze up if you throw too many tasks at it (especially repetitive ones - it's been crashing my browser and File Explorer, for no reason whatsoever ). I've had my laptop freeze up several times recently because of it (I do have a few temporary fixes that sort of work). It seems to be a bug that's not been fixed yet, and it's really annoying.
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 6th Apr 2021 at 8:20 PM
Thanks for the input. We seem to agree that One Drive is the culprit, not Clean Installer. I am currently doing a complete backup, preparatory to installing Windows 7. I have turned off and deleted One Drive before, but every time Windows does an upgrade/patch it reinstalls One Drive and defaults it to on. I liked how Apple's Time Machine did things. Too bad Microsoft didn't do something like that, too, instead of just copying Apple's iCloud. I can still use One Drive manually for backup, in addition to my external drive.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 6th Apr 2021 at 9:05 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 6th Apr 2021 at 9:30 PM.
Have you tried to set it to not run at startup? That seems to help a bit. Had to do this for Edge and a bunch of other programs, too. Win10 starts up everything in the background...

And did you check the disc issue? A lot of Windows users have had that problem with Win10 lately (I found people having issues with this from at least 4-5 months ago all the way until last time I checked, maybe 2-3 weeks or so ago, so it seems to be an unpatched issue). It can freeze up Explorer (and all the other programs) seemingly at random, and it is quite annoying. I found a few comments saying that making a new power plan could help, and weirdly enough it did. I've had fewer issues with random freezeups since, and the disc went down to less than 10% when idling (except when updating). Most random solution ever, but I'm for whatever works...

At least my laptop isn't slowing to a crawl any longer when I have one window in Firefox alongside one window in File Explorer, and then trying to open another window - It's supposed to tackle games, even my ancient 2006 XP baked-potato could handle more than that the final time I managed to turn it on .
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 14th Apr 2021 at 4:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
And did you check the disc issue? A lot of Windows users have had that problem with Win10 lately (I found people having issues with this from at least 4-5 months ago all the way until last time I checked, maybe 2-3 weeks or so ago, so it seems to be an unpatched issue). It can freeze up Explorer (and all the other programs) seemingly at random, and it is quite annoying. I found a few comments saying that making a new power plan could help, and weirdly enough it did. I've had fewer issues with random freezeups since, and the disc went down to less than 10% when idling (except when updating). Most random solution ever, but I'm for whatever works...

What disc issue?
I turned off One Drive again, and uninstalled it again, and my computer is no longer misbehaving. Much better!
Edit: Yes, I see the post about the disc issue. Will check it out tomorrow.