Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Mar 2021 at 12:00 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Am I missing something? Starting Sims 2 again
I haven't played in years. I do have the Ultimate collection on Origin. I've looked through stuff and I did get the game running. I can't seem to make it run without Origin in the background but that's not a big deal. I ran the dxdiag thing and it says it is running my graphics card. I have a windows 10 Nvidia Geforce 1650 and 8GB of Ram. I'm not sure the texture memory and OS is right? From stuff i've seen I'm just not sure. I haven't done much in the game, just went into a household (still need to take out the EA hoods and put in clean hoods and mods and all that jazz but I want to make sure I got everything else right first) and played a minute. Fixed the black box under the sims feet. That's about it. Took forever for me to figure out the resolution and i'm worried I messed something up but I guess it's ok....it was stuck in 800 x 600 for awhile and then it got huge but still didn't have anymore options, eventually I got the resolution correct. Anyway here's the dxdiag. Like I said I haven't played in years and stuff in my real life has gotten incredibly stressful, so I figured why not try. It doesn't look like i'll ever get another computer and I know people do play it on Windows 10. If there's anything I may have forgotten or if I should start over...I got nothing but time. Thank you.

dxdiag

My Simblr
He/They
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 11th Mar 2021 at 2:13 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 11th Mar 2021 at 2:27 AM.
Have you done either the 4GB patch or fixed this with the CFF Explorer? If you did, both the "Memory" and "Free Memory" should say "4096". If they say something else, the patch/fix may not have been applied properly.

You may want to either do a manual fix of the GraphicRules file, or an auto fix with the GraphicRulesMaker. It sounds like several of your issues stem from problems that can be solved there, including the issue with stuck 800x600 or missing other resolutions. The "Texture memory" might also need a fix, which can be done here.

I think the OS says that for everyone after Vista. It basically lists the version, not the actual name (I think XP or Vista was the latest OS Sims2 ever listed by name - I don't have any of my old Vista log files atm, but I'm pretty sure Windows 7 said NT, too)
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Mar 2021 at 2:37 AM
The 4GB patch appears to have been applied right. I did that. I did eventually get the resolution fixed, i'm just worried I might have messed something up because I got confused with the csconfig and config folders in the program files, with multiple graphic rules documents. It took me awhile to get the resolution to work but eventually I did and used the GraphicRulesMaker. It's just been so long and my brain is fried.

Ah, ok. So the OS might just say that for everyone then. The only thing then I think is wondering why the texture memory says 32MB. I saw somewhere that means something is wrong...even though I thought I did something that was supposed to fix that.

My Simblr
He/They
Mad Poster
#4 Old 11th Mar 2021 at 2:54 AM
There's a fix for the texture memory issue in the GraphicRulesMaker. It has more to do with virtual memory, I think. 32 MB is very low, and if you run your game for a while, there is a chance you could be running into pink-flashing if it's set that low, especially if you use CC.

I think there's a guide somewhere for which settings to put where in the GraphicRulesMaker - I'll post it if I can find it.

If you don't want to mess about with that again, here's another way to fix it:
https://celebkiriedhel.tumblr.com/p...aphics-help-diy
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th Mar 2021 at 3:01 AM
So after "seti cpuLevelUnsupported 0" I put the following? In all the graphic rules files

# Kiri - manually setting texture memory
seti textureMemory 4096MB

My Simblr
He/They
Mad Poster
#6 Old 11th Mar 2021 at 3:12 AM
Read step 2 first and make sure you're putting in the correct number.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 11th Mar 2021 at 3:14 AM
Well the game worked yesterday but I hadn't tried it today before doing that. Now I get this, i'll have to see if I can fix it later. I got this before, it's why I quit trying on windows 10 because it happened after I had played quite a bit before, years ago whenever it was.

My Simblr
He/They
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 11th Mar 2021 at 3:19 AM
Sorry, my bad. I have a little less, tried changing it though and still doesn't work. I'll try to figure it out when I can (it's late), no hurry.

My Simblr
He/They
Mad Poster
#9 Old 11th Mar 2021 at 3:20 AM
With the Nvidia cards, it helps playing windowed when you increase the resolution. They don't seem to be too happy with fullscreen.

I think you'll want "3962" for the texture memory (display memory).

seti textureMemory 3962

(skip the "MB" or it won't work)
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 11th Mar 2021 at 3:28 AM
yea I got it in windowed mode. Maybe I put it in wrong? I tried without a line space and with a line space after seti cpuLevelUnsupported 0 on all the graphic rules files

My Simblr
He/They
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 11th Mar 2021 at 3:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
With the Nvidia cards, it helps playing windowed when you increase the resolution. They don't seem to be too happy with fullscreen.

I think you'll want "3962" for the texture memory (display memory).

seti textureMemory 3962

(skip the "MB" or it won't work)

Thank you!! I took out the MB and it worked and now that log file says the right texture memory! ^_^ Thank you so much

Edit: Sorry i'm not always the brightest...

My Simblr
He/They