Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Mar 2021 at 9:49 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Deleted Mailbox File
Hello.
I was having issues with my apartment mailboxes turning into residential mailboxes & made a big mistake. I had a buyable mailbox in my misc. category & I figured maybe that was what was bugging it out. I deleted it straight from the buymode (like you would delete any other custom content in the catalog) & I guess that was the actual mailbox used on all lots.
Well, now all my houses and apartments have no mailbox when I load them up.
Does anyone know if/where a buyable mailbox is up for download? Will that even work if I did download a custom one, now that the OG is gone?
I'm really hoping I don't have to reinstall my game so if anyone can send me some advice or links I would greatly appreciate it. tysm
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 20th Mar 2021 at 10:18 AM
Oh dear. From what you've described, it sounds like you've deleted a default replacement - default replacements share their GUID (or 'identification number') with the object they replace, but when you use the in-game delete button to delete them, the game goes and deletes the original object also. For this reason, you should never use the in-game delete button unless you're certain it's safe.

A reinstall might be avoidable, but it sounds like your objects.package may have gotten corrupted because of this - could you go see your (wherever your game is installed)/(your most recent expansion pack)/TSData/Res/Objects and check if the objects.package has a modified date that is later than 2008? This would confirm what your next step would be
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Mar 2021 at 10:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BartekStu
Oh dear. From what you've described, it sounds like you've deleted a default replacement - default replacements share their GUID (or 'identification number') with the object they replace, but when you use the in-game delete button to delete them, the game goes and deletes the original object also. For this reason, you should never use the in-game delete button unless you're certain it's safe.

A reinstall might be avoidable, but it sounds like your objects.package may have gotten corrupted because of this - could you go see your (wherever your game is installed)/(your most recent expansion pack)/TSData/Res/Objects and check if the objects.package has a modified date that is later than 2008? This would confirm what your next step would be

Thanks for your reply!
Just checked and my objects.package says it was last modified 1/14/2015. I do have the ultimate collection if that matters at all.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 20th Mar 2021 at 10:38 AM
No bother at all!

Would that be Apartment Life or Mansion and Gardens that you're checking?

Would you also happen to have a link to that cc mailbox?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 20th Mar 2021 at 10:45 AM
No bother at all!

Apartment life!
no i don’t. It came with a lot I previously had downloaded & no longer have.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 20th Mar 2021 at 10:49 AM
No bother at all!

I did find this, though.
https://modthesims.info/download.php?t=413573
I want to try it but fear I'll just corrupt my game more than it might already be.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 20th Mar 2021 at 11:05 AM
That's alright, I would've just checked out the GUIDs to triple check if that's the issue.

It does sound like when the default replacement got deleted, it damaged your objects.package - it should be dated to some time around 2008.

If you have Mansion & Gardens installed, do also let me know what the modified date on that is, as that should say it was modified more recently. That would have been the objects.package your game was using. It's unusual that the Apartment Life package differs, which might imply that it is also slightly damaged? For a quick reference, the objects.package's modified date should align with the expansion/stuff pack's release date.

About fixing the problem - reinstalling it will fix it, but it's the final solution. If you have access to any Sims 2 discs, you should follow the instructions at https://simswiki.info/wiki.php?titl...Objects.package and replace the objects.packages that have a different date than their disc version as per the instructions on that page.

If you are using the Origin version, "Repair Game" might also work. If you have no access to Sims 2 discs, I could share my own objects.package to hotfix yours.

Note, that you will have to replace the mailbox on any lot that's been loaded while the mailbox has been deleted from the game - returning the mailbox to the game won't bring back the ones 'already deleted' from your lots. There are buyable mailboxes you can find, or I could throw one together quickly for you. Apartment lots could be beyond repair. You could also have a backup to jump back to if you don't feel like replacing the mailboxes.
Forum Resident
#8 Old 20th Mar 2021 at 3:05 PM
Since you have the UC, you should be checking the objects.package here (if you installed in the default location).
C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSData\Res\Objects
That is the latest one in use. Mine is dated December 2, 2010.

Once you get this sorted out, a good practice is to make that file "Read Only" so that you don't accidentally change it in the future.

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations

My most recently shared items (with pictures) may also be found here:
HobbesED's Dreamwidth

Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#9 Old 20th Mar 2021 at 4:47 PM
The one you found by sophie david will not corrupt your game, provided you follow the instructions for installation.  The file goes into program files, not downlaods.  My UC files are dated from 2010 as well.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 20th Mar 2021 at 6:33 PM
That's alright, I would've just checked out the GUIDs to triple check if that's the issue.

It does sound like when the default replacement got deleted, it damaged your objects.package - it should be dated to some time around 2008.

If you have Mansion & Gardens installed, do also let me know what the modified date on that is, as that should say it was modified more recently. That would have been the objects.package your game was using. It's unusual that the Apartment Life package differs, which might imply that it is also slightly damaged? For a quick reference, the objects.package's modified date should align with the expansion/stuff pack's release date.

About fixing the problem - reinstalling it will fix it, but it's the final solution. If you have access to any Sims 2 discs, you should follow the instructions at https://simswiki.info/wiki.php?titl...Objects.package and replace the objects.packages that have a different date than their disc version as per the instructions on that page.

If you are using the Origin version, "Repair Game" might also work. If you have no access to Sims 2 discs, I could share my own objects.package to hotfix yours.

Note, that you will have to replace the mailbox on any lot that's been loaded while the mailbox has been deleted from the game - returning the mailbox to the game won't bring back the ones 'already deleted' from your lots. There are buyable mailboxes you can find, or I could throw one together quickly for you. Apartment lots could be beyond repair. You could also have a backup to jump back to if you don't feel like replacing the mailboxes.

So, I don’t have a M&G folder. Only folders for expansions since I have UC. I did check fun with pets like someone else suggested. It was also 1/14/2015. I’m just now repairing on origin like you suggested. Then I’ll load up and test it out. I’ll report back if it is or isn’t working! Thanks for all your help!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 20th Mar 2021 at 6:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HobbesED
Since you have the UC, you should be checking the objects.package here (if you installed in the default location).
C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSData\Res\Objects
That is the latest one in use. Mine is dated December 2, 2010.

Once you get this sorted out, a good practice is to make that file "Read Only" so that you don't accidentally change it in the future.

Thank you!
The file in FWP was also 1/14/15
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 20th Mar 2021 at 6:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
The one you found by sophie david will not corrupt your game, provided you follow the instructions for installation.  The file goes into program files, not downlaods.  My UC files are dated from 2010 as well.

Thank you! Im hoping if nothing else works this will fix the problem.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 20th Mar 2021 at 6:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SerenaSims
I deleted it straight from the buymode (like you would delete any other custom content in the catalog)

That's actually a really bad way to delete CC. I mean - if you're 100% sure it's not a default replacement or modded item linked to an ingame GUID or repo'd item or any of that, you could take the risk, but the absolutely safest way to locate the item ingame and then delete it from your Downloads folder. You can't always trust the trash bin icon to not appear when it's not supposed to, especially with modded items and default replacement objects.

---
M&G is in the SP9 folder in Fun With Pets. Might want to look for other files that's been modified, too (anything other than the 14.January 15), perhals also look in the basegame/Double Deluxe folder.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 20th Mar 2021 at 7:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
That's actually a really bad way to delete CC. I mean - if you're 100% sure it's not a default replacement or modded item linked to an ingame GUID or repo'd item or any of that, you could take the risk, but the safest way to delete CC is from your Downloads folder. You can't always trust the trash bin icon to not appear when it's not supposed to.

---
M&G is in the SP9 folder in Fun With Pets. Might want to look for other files that's been modified, too (anything other than the 14.January 15)

I really don’t know what the heck I was thinking. I should have known it was default replacements.

& thank you! That’s the folder I was checking. Didn’t know that was the stuff packs!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 20th Mar 2021 at 7:19 PM

Your advice worked! Repairing the game via origin gave me my mailboxes back and they’re working just fine! Still having the apartment mailbox issues but that’s a whole other topic.
Thanks so much. I’m so glad I don’t need to reinstall. I have now learned my lesson.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 20th Mar 2021 at 7:27 PM
For the mailbox problem:

If you've downloaded any residential or apartment lots that included CC, go through the CC from them. A lot of residential lots come with buyable mailbox/trashcan files (these will "hitch a ride" with the lot file if the lot creator has them in their game, whether used or not) plus a whole heap of recolor files of these (these go viral from game to game - personally I get rid of them ASAP). Some creators clean their lot files, others don't.

You want to make sure you get rid of all these mailbox/trashcan files, because they create a lot of problems. You probably have some outdated files in your game that's messing with your apartment mailboxes (there are several variations of them, I know of at least three different sets, and if you need any you want to make sure you have the proper ones with the right compatibility, and not some random ones from a lot download where you can't be sure they aren't updated to AL/M&G).

If you already have downloaded a set of buyable mailboxes/trashcans, make sure you have the proper version. You need a set that's updated for AL/M&G.

If you want to keep the mail/trash recolors, put them in a separate folder and take this folder out if you ever plan to pack and/or upload a lot. Trust me - it's going to save you (and/or other people) a lot of work. Those files are a pain to sort out...
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#17 Old 20th Mar 2021 at 11:14 PM
Make a backup and repair your game in origin should repair the missing files.

Sophie-Davids mailbox is safe. Good idea to have.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~