Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 6:49 AM
Default Building woes
Share your building frustrations, or see if you can help people out with some of theirs.

I'm taking a crack at building a nice house here in TS3....

I've noticed some of the building cheats put out for TS3 don't work (snapobjectstogrid is an unknown command, for example) and the old constrainfloorelevation + terrain leveling tool is gimped, because the terrain leveling tool is only registering on the first floor. I've managed to find it mysteriously on the second floor here and there, but one move on another floor and it's stuck again no matter how much I mash PgUp and PgDn.

I'm trying to attach a garage to my foundationized house, so to put the garage door on I was trying to make that half of the first floor regular height while the rest of the first floor was foundation-height, then use the second floor to level it all out, but it just won't go. -.-;;

Sigh. Patiently waiting for some lovely quality hacks like we had for TS2.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 7:13 AM
'snapobjectstogrid [true/false]' is now replaced by 'disablesnappingtoslotsonalt [on/off]'. When set to 'on', you can pick up an object with the hand tool and then hold down the Alt key, which will enable you to bypass the grid. You are also able to rotate an object 360 degrees by holding down the Alt key, fyi.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 7:20 AM
Very useful tip, freelancergal, thanks

moveobjects cheat is the same, which makes me happy as I used that one the most in TS2.

The only major woe I have so far is the sound made when trying to place doors, windows, or stairs. I swear its amplyfied more than all the other sounds. Quite annoying. I miss the pool shape varieties as well. Back to the standard rectangle, boring. And no diving board...what the heck?

Love the plants though, oh my gosh....gorgeous.

/// My Studio /// My Twitter ///
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 6:29 PM
disablesnappingtoslotsonalt wasn't working for me, either. It registered as a known command, but when I tried to pick up a window and scooch it just a hair to the right (I wanted a 2-tile window in the center of a 3-tile wall) it wouldn't stop snapping.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 9:23 PM
AyaJulia, I don't think that cheat will work on anything that's placed on walls (windows, paintings, etc.) The grid it refers to is the floor/ground grid, as far as I know.

NicMcD, I miss the diving boards too. And the piano!
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 9:30 PM
Yea I am with freelance, I couldnt make disableSnapping work on the blinds which don't fit the windows. But it does seem to work on most other things.

I haven't tried to make an attached garage yet - Eep if you can't smooth down like you used to be able to. I am amazed we STILL can't make an 8 click stair landing for L stairs.
Test Subject
#7 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 10:15 PM
Default sethighestallowedlevel
Is there a replacement for the setHighestAllowedLevel cheat? I miss my towers!!
Test Subject
#8 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 10:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AyaJulia
Share your building frustrations, or see if you can help people out with some of theirs.

I'm taking a crack at building a nice house here in TS3....

I've noticed some of the building cheats put out for TS3 don't work (snapobjectstogrid is an unknown command, for example) and the old constrainfloorelevation + terrain leveling tool is gimped, because the terrain leveling tool is only registering on the first floor. I've managed to find it mysteriously on the second floor here and there, but one move on another floor and it's stuck again no matter how much I mash PgUp and PgDn.

I'm trying to attach a garage to my foundationized house, so to put the garage door on I was trying to make that half of the first floor regular height while the rest of the first floor was foundation-height, then use the second floor to level it all out, but it just won't go. -.-;;

Sigh. Patiently waiting for some lovely quality hacks like we had for TS2.

Using floor tiles works that same as using the terrain leveling tool.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 10:56 PM
Roofs. My god, the roofs. I don't understand why they haven't improved that feature. And it's still not possible to make a lucarne (I think is the word) without physically putting walls through the roof.

And there needs to be a bigger variety of windows.

Alternatively, as I've suggested before, they need to let us build windowframes and roofframes.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 11:10 PM
Arcadus: I agree! So hard to make a house look just the way you want it when you have a picture in your mind and have to make those scant few options fit the picture.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 11:11 PM
Arcadus- I think you mean dormers.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 12:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Arcadus
Roofs. My god, the roofs. I don't understand why they haven't improved that feature. And it's still not possible to make a lucarne (I think is the word) without physically putting walls through the roof.

And there needs to be a bigger variety of windows.

Alternatively, as I've suggested before, they need to let us build windowframes and roofframes.

Was a little surprised that they removed dormers as well. Kind of a PITA.

On the subject of roofing, has anyone been able to set different roof heights for individual roof sections? This is beginning to annoy me quite a bit.

My present building woe:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...d=1#post2590958

The one response I got so far seems to indicate that I should be able to set the heights individually per section, but I can't seem to figure out how to get just a single section selected.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 12:28 AM
I'm looking forward to when they put back things like half walls and separate roof degree angles. But for now as it is a base game, I think it is wonderfully put together and certainly has more options to it than the base TS2 game had.

I would venture to say what with all the capabilities added to have a seamless neighborhood, it probably makes some of those extra goodies they gave us before a bit more difficult to interject into this game. Hopefully they will be able to upgrade these features with the expansion packs, like before. But until then, I'm enjoying the game as it is for now.