Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

GunMod's Radiance Light System 2.1

by GunMod Posted 5th Nov 2005 at 3:32 AM - Updated 16th May 2009 at 10:18 AM by Numenor : Updated info and links

715 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 708 Feedback Posts, 6 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 3 of 29
is going to be a cat when she grows up.
retired moderator
#51 Old 5th Nov 2005 at 6:09 PM
My problem is that this mod seems to be obliterating one of my houses!

It's the largest lot, and without any real rhyme or reason, while panning around, the house vanishes and I'm left with a big blue square. If I roll the camera around for a while longer, the house reappears again, but then vanishes at some other point. Never happened before this mod and sadly, doesn't happen in any other house. Grr. And I can't update the drivers, because Nvidia's 81.85 makes the monitor shut down and makes the pillows blink and all kinds of really bad stuff.

*sighs* I liked this mod too...made my screenshots look really fab. Oh well. I'm glad everyone is enjoying it.
Field Researcher
#52 Old 5th Nov 2005 at 6:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by spladoum
My problem is that this mod seems to be obliterating one of my houses!

It's the largest lot, and without any real rhyme or reason, while panning around, the house vanishes and I'm left with a big blue square. If I roll the camera around for a while longer, the house reappears again, but then vanishes at some other point. Never happened before this mod and sadly, doesn't happen in any other house. Grr. And I can't update the drivers, because Nvidia's 81.85 makes the monitor shut down and makes the pillows blink and all kinds of really bad stuff.

*sighs* I liked this mod too...made my screenshots look really fab. Oh well. I'm glad everyone is enjoying it.

That has nothing to do with this mod. That is your neighborhood view settings.

Change the FADE setting to small.
Lab Assistant
#53 Old 5th Nov 2005 at 6:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Braveheart
Must I use the smartlights2 hack with this? Every time I have tried to use the smartlights2 hack, my lots won't load at all. I know dizzy's first smartlights had a problem with corrupting pool lights, but I have since redone my neighborhood. All loads fine with just your radiance lighting2 mod, it seems the smartlights2 is causing the problem. What difference does smartlights make to the game with your mod? Thanks
P.S. I will post in the smartlights2 thread at VS, I think it may be a conflict with another hack. Anyone else having problems?

No you do not have to, it's just suggested so the lights turn on when you need them (makes it possible to actually see what you're doing during the dawn and dusk times). Normally the lights will automatically turn on after 7pm, but you'll be left in the dark before then.
Test Subject
#54 Old 5th Nov 2005 at 6:36 PM Last edited by psob2 : 5th Nov 2005 at 7:29 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Braveheart
Must I use the smartlights2 hack with this? Every time I have tried to use the smartlights2 hack, my lots won't load at all. ..... Anyone else having problems?

Radiance mod works fine on its own for me and looks great. thank you GunMod for your time and effort.

am having a similar problem with the smartlights2 file.
if i add the smartlights2 file small lots will load, but large lots (4x5 and 5x5) won't load for me.
Lab Assistant
#55 Old 5th Nov 2005 at 6:44 PM
There is only one problem with Dizzy2's light mod, and that is the pool lights. The lot will not load if there are any pool lights on the lot from before the mod was installed, all of those need to be replaced.

This has nothing to do with this lighting mod.
Test Subject
#56 Old 5th Nov 2005 at 7:02 PM
This is simply amazing. the best mod ive seen so far.
i do have a question that i didnt see in the read me...or maybe i missed something...during the day with the lights out, my house is too dark. i have lots..(and lots) of windows but none of the light seems to come in, have i missed a step or was this a problem for anyone in the past?
thanks.

Pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name.
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#57 Old 5th Nov 2005 at 8:07 PM
Looks good. Can't wait for the uni and nl ones and the manual install. Ailias, eqqueen_05, that only happens when this mod is installed into an ep's directory instead of the base game's.
Test Subject
#58 Old 5th Nov 2005 at 11:11 PM
I seem to be having a problem with this mod - my Sims don't appear to be properly reflecting the light in a room, whether it's artificial light from a lamp or sunlight through a window.

I've attatched an example of what I'm talking about, and while this is one of the more dramatic examples, I'm experiencing this in all of my houses to some extent.

As you can see in the picture, there's light entering the bedroom from the window and lighting the area, but the Sims themselves have no light falling on them at all. I realize the Sim's back is to the window and it would account for some darkening, but not to the degree I'm experiencing. You can tell it's not a perspective issue anyway, as there's no light hitting his partner's head either, and she's directly under the window.

I have all of my settings turned up to high so I'm not sure what could be causing this. Any ideas?
Screenshots
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#59 Old 5th Nov 2005 at 11:35 PM
The only reason I suggested Smart Lights 2 was because some people were having issues with lights not being on when it was still evening or morning.
I have since fixed this and Auto Lights "shouldn't" be needed for this.
I'll be uploading 2.1 within the hour and like I said, I found a way for the game
to automatically sense when a room is dark. If auto lights is set and you go into a dark room, even during the day, it "should" kick a light on anyway.

- GunMod
Freelance Game/Software Designer
GunMod's Forums

Tip to Never Get Lost: Remember, No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#60 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 12:06 AM
Okra Dokra folks!
2.1 is up.

Let me know if the auto lights work without Smart Lights 2.

- GunMod
GunMod's Forums

Test Subject
#61 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 12:08 AM
Hi! I installed it, but my house took too much time to load...
Then I tried to unninstall using the BACKUP.zip, overwrited the files, but it still takes a long time to load...
Can you help me please?
Test Subject
#62 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 12:21 AM
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#63 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 12:49 AM
holophoner, do you have all related graphic settigns up?
Lab Assistant
#64 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 1:00 AM
Hey GunMod, is this line supposed to be commented out like this (from the daytime lighting section of the files)?

Code:
   #light fill1    (1, 1, -1)     (1,0.8,.9)    .5

It wasn't in the previous version (2.0), just wondering, because the lighting during the day suddenly looks weird to me.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#65 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 2:06 AM
Smacks forehead!

Made a boo boo guys.. Let me fix this real quick.
I'll post a quickfix to 2.1 to fix what Patches is talking about and one other thing.

Scurries off.

- GunMod
GunMod's Forums

Test Subject
#66 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 2:36 AM
Hi! My problem with loading the house is gone...
But during the day, the house stays too dark (please see my attached pic)... When I turn on the TV, it lights up a little bit, but not too much...
What can I do?
Screenshots
Instructor
#67 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 3:16 AM
My god. I've been waiting for this ever since the game came out..
You may not remember.. but.. in the official sims2 site.. they had screenshots of the game before it came out..and it was of a lovely three-story wooden house with night lighting, and when i got the game, I decided that I was going to make one like that. Lighting and ambiance is something I really enjoy for some reason. *shrugs* Anyway, I was really annoyed when I realized that the lighting wasn't as cozy looking as in the screenshots..

I just........ I love you, man!
Sorry to scare you. I'm sane, I promise.

~Hi, I don't do Sims much anymore, sorry! I will respond to messages when able :)~
is going to be a cat when she grows up.
retired moderator
#68 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 3:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by JadeEliott
That has nothing to do with this mod. That is your neighborhood view settings.

Change the FADE setting to small.

Urrgh! Hasn't helped. I turned the fade off altogether and I still get it.
Test Subject
#69 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 3:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jaxad0127
holophoner, do you have all related graphic settigns up?

Yes. Shadows, lighting, graphic effects, sim/object detail, and texture detail are all on the highest setting.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#70 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 3:49 AM
Sorry guys, I will have to get back to work on 2.2 tomorrow.
Burned out just a bit as I had everything perfect and I had changed one or two things right before I uploaded the file and it screwed things up.
I don't mean the file is unsafe or anything, I just mean it messed up some of the lighting effects and I'll have to dig back in tomorrow. I just don't have the enthusiam to finish working on it tonight. What you see now is not the final look I wanted.
I tried to rush the NL addon out and made some mistakes and for that I apologize.
Damn you Patches, why'd you have to show me that line? (just joking bro).
When I'm not happy with something, I don't expect you to be happy with it either.
Never fear, tomorrow is a new day and I'll keep plugging at it.
I appreciate everyone bearing with these different versions and pointing problems out to me. Also I want to say Thank You to JadeElliot for his help as well, I didn't mean to leave you out of the Thank You's. Sorry Buddy.
I'm not done yet, but I promise you, when I say I'm totally done, then you'll know
that I'm happy with it. If your tired of trying out new versions, just wait until I say its finished. I jumped the gun on calling 2.0 Final and should have curbed my enthusiam and made sure everything was right. Man I'm bummed.
Be back tomorrow.

- GunMod
GunMod's Forums

Lab Assistant
#71 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 3:57 AM
Do you need any help testing? (It's not like I'm doing anything this week anyway, it's against school policy to assign homework; alternative high schools rock!)

and by the way, I kind of liked the overly blue window light at night, it made everything more "dramatic"... the revision seemed a little to subtle. Maybe just bump it up a little?
Lab Assistant
#72 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 3:58 AM
Hey, its not perfect but it is SO Much better than what i had before. i still love this mod, and i cant wait to get the next one. This one blew my mind away, and im excited about the true finished product...And dont be bummed ... your doing a great job!!! The small details always take Alot of time to work out i bet (not that i would really know, i have no idea how to code, mod, or even recolor but i can guess). Anyway ... Good Job so far, cant wait for 2.2!! ~

"The way to be safe is never to be secure." -Benjamin Franklin
Forum Resident
#73 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 5:10 AM
Thank you for finding a way around the Smartlight 2 requirement. However folks might still have problems with pool lights being wonky. This is a Maxis glich not the fault of your or Dizzy's Mods. To people are having problems with lots loading: Do the lots have pools that are lit? Or are the lots using the broken difused light that Gunmod pointed out in the first post?
I had a single lot that wouldn't load that I'd built. Once I removed the smartlight2 mod and reloaded the lot, took out the faulty lights, and put the mod back, the lot loaded fine. I'm going to advise that the lights in question be searched for and replaced. Hopefully then lots will load.

I'll check out 2.1 now and eagerly wait for 2.2.
thanks bunches. Gunmod.

Like Pitch Black and CoR?
Visit GM_Andy's. My Home on the Web! My Sims2 stuff and files I'm caretaker of can be found here

Need a way to open that .rar file? Use the Sims2 File Maid.
Test Subject
#74 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 9:21 AM
Thank you so much !!! that's nice... But during the day there's not enough light in the houses !

I don't manage to uninstall this... Could you help me please... I don't find the files !!!

Thank you
Lab Assistant
#75 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 9:52 AM
Thanks for the 2.1! I was waiting all last night! :D

MTS2 rocks my socks!

<Inge> is the truth always "cool"?
<Inge> a thing isn't true just cos it's interesting
<tracyshayne> Hi, Inge...you talking to yourself over there?
A quote from the MTS2 chat!
Page 3 of 29