Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#26 Old 22nd Jan 2007 at 7:26 PM
hey! thanks alot for this tutorial it is very helpful!! .. however i was wondering how you can get a lower neckline instead of a higher one? i tried to experiement and it sort of worked but you could still see the original neckline shape above it! i got very confused and wondered if you could give come input?! thnks again i rele appreciated such an easy step by step tutorial well done :D! ! xxx
Advertisement
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#27 Old 23rd Jan 2007 at 9:03 AM
angel_hugz -- if it's the dress in _this_ tutorial, it shouldn't have a 3d neckline that would cause that problem. Does it have a bumpmap? If you change the neckline or outfit on the texture, the bumpmap needs to match. (or be colored all one solid medium gray)

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Test Subject
#28 Old 23rd Jan 2007 at 1:54 PM
oh ok so if the piece of clothing has a 3d neckline (such as a shirt) you cannot change it? xx
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#29 Old 23rd Jan 2007 at 2:37 PM
Yes, when you recolor an outfit you are only changing the _coloration_ on the outfit. The shape doesn't change. If the outfit has skintight/bare sleeves or a skintight neckline or smooth legs, then you can alter the looks by simply changing the texture (alpha and the normalmap texture to match) You can't generally raise or lower a hemline or change the length of wide pant legs or wide sleeves.

Now this is the case for... most of the Maxis body meshes. SOME Maxis meshes, like the hula girl, and some user-made meshes are built in two parts - the 'body' shape, which will show skin wherever the alpha is black, and an alpha section which will go 'invisible' instead of turning skin color. Those project folders will have 2 sets of graphics in them - if you look at the hula outfit, you can see that there's recolors that look like a fabric wrap, and other than looks like a grass skirt with a jagged edge. Both use the _same mesh_ (shape). But the alpha graphics (texture and alpha and normals) are different, and thus cut up the skirt shape differently. Kind of how hair has different parts (Faylen's hair tutorial at one point colors each part a different color so that one can figure out which is which) These meshes with a special second part (some have 3) we call 'alpha' meshes, because they have an _extra_ set of graphics that are much more alpha editable than the typical body.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Test Subject
#30 Old 9th Apr 2007 at 12:36 PM
Thanks!
I can't wait for your next tutorial. BTW, do you know how to make meshes?
Again, THANKS!
Test Subject
#31 Old 10th Apr 2007 at 4:21 PM
Great tutorial! Really helpful can't wait for the next one... I was having trouble with shading. Also, will you be doing one on making an outfit from a picture? If you were, I've been trying to figure it out but keep having trouble... anyways thanks for the tut :D

Kate is cool... My Blog.
Test Subject
#32 Old 17th Apr 2007 at 11:46 AM
Thanks Vashti. Great Tutorial.. I've been through a few other tutorials online but none of them seemed to make as much sense as these three did. I am new to the computer world and it was nice to see an "Idiots guide" as it were. I can't wait till I can play with all the tools you have given me. Thanks again
Test Subject
#33 Old 24th Apr 2007 at 12:02 AM
Default Question...
I love the tutorial, it helped me out so freaking much!!! =D but I have a question. I've downloaded clothes meshes from internet sites, and I wanted to make clothes off that mesh, how do I do that? I tried to open a mesh and it said "Yada yada yada this this file has failed to open: Unknown File " Why? and how can i get around it?

Thanks So Much!!
Toni
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#34 Old 24th Apr 2007 at 4:20 AM
Uhm, you need to have a recolor of a mesh, so that it shows up in your game. Then you go make a recolor of the recolor -- but if it is an original outfit, you must plan on replacing the _entire_ graphic with graphics of your own creation -- artists are fussy about not having their textures used unless they give permission. The Maxis stuff, use all you want You might find that you can try various maxis textures on the mesh you downloaded to get some basic graphics to use.

Test Subject
#35 Old 24th Apr 2007 at 10:49 PM
Oh, I see! Thanks a lot Tigg! Hah I'm such a retard! Thanks for all the help! And thanks, Vashti, For the tutorial again!!

Thanks!
Toni
Test Subject
#36 Old 24th Apr 2007 at 11:48 PM
Wait, i get the whole recolor part, but what would i have to do if i just downloaded the mesh file, like this one :http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=127591, it said i can download the mesh only, so if i did that, would i be able to recolor the mesh file?

Let me know!
Thanks
Toni
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#37 Old 25th Apr 2007 at 12:36 AM
You MUST have a working recolor to access the mesh. Downloading the mesh without any recolors does you no good. She included the mesh only because there are _many_ recolors available of that mesh (look on the left column) and perhaps you downloaded someone else's recolors.

Test Subject
#38 Old 25th Apr 2007 at 1:01 AM
Oooh... Okay i get it now! So you would...Yeah!! Ok thanks so much, again! lol ( hope I didn't sound like a loser :P

Thanks A LOT!
Toni
Test Subject
#39 Old 6th May 2007 at 5:22 AM
Nice tute.... now i can start making recolours and meshes of clothes.... Thanks!!!!!!!
Test Subject
#40 Old 21st May 2007 at 6:45 PM Last edited by Teary : 21st May 2007 at 6:59 PM. Reason: some spelling errors that i didnt see before posting
Hello, i would first off really like to thank you for sure lovely tutorials, really makes things easy to someone that doesnt know her way around a computer that well.

Second off, in the recoloring one, it shows how to make an outfit a basic color, but what if the outfit you are recoloring different colors? err, i understand the 2 colors, ie boots and light purple dress we made, but i was thinking of going harder, as in the cute raver wear, I added a picture that i found of it. I would love to make that outfit, black white and grey, but im simply lost as in how to do so with so many different colors, and with keeping the designs on the front of the shirt, and back of the shorts. When i do try, i keep the black at 90% in dialogs, but i can still tell there is a hint of color, plus that doesnt add white or grey on anything, just fully colors it black. I can change the color of the leg mufflers (thats easy it has a seperate mesh) and the leg warmers, i guess i am more concerned with leaving the patterens on the shirt and the strips on the shorts so that they remain a different color.

if it is too much to describe here, maybe make an advanced tutorial to help me, and people like me :lovestruc

thank you again,
Teary
PS. if this is your image, sorry, its the only one i found with this outift on it

Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#41 Old 22nd May 2007 at 1:15 AM
you could try look at some of the things done in the photoshop tutorials on site, that might help with your questions some, assuming you did all 3 gimp tutorials. The programs have many similar features, it's just a matter of being able to kind of follow along.

For clothing in general ideally you'd find a light solid colored garment and then desaturate it (turn it grayscale) and use that as your base. You could then layer colors/textures over it with different layers and try layer settings like 'multiply' or different opacity/transparency settings.

You might also find yourself increasing the contrast on the grayscale layer to make the wrinkles/folds/etc show more on your final version.

If the clothing in question has too many colors or patterns to it, you can either look for another garment and try it's texture on your mesh - and if it looks good, steal that part of the texture to use as your base... Or make a new layer for highlights and try drawing them on with white or a lighter version of your final color. Use some blur and/or smudge, and then bring the tranparency of the layer way down, to like 10-30%. Make another layer for the dark parts, and do the same thing.

Then test your texture in game lighting - and see if your highlights and wrinkles show up well, or if they are too much or too faint. You can go adjust them (remember you put them on separate layers) in gimp and then try again

Test Subject
#42 Old 22nd May 2007 at 11:53 AM
thank you, i will try

again thank you for the tutorials, ive recolored so much already!
Test Subject
#43 Old 9th Jun 2007 at 8:40 PM
I don't understand it sry.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#44 Old 10th Jun 2007 at 3:01 AM
no_respond
Start with tutorial #1, and you are expected to know how to use the graphics editor - some tips are given but you also must go hit the web for tutorials if the tutorials on site are not enough for you to master how to use Gimp. The focus here is on the *sim specific* aspects of the task, not so much on learning everything about the editing program.

Here are a couple gimp links - the book is free to download or read online:
http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/
http://gimpology.com/browse/category/Getting+Started
http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/

Gimpology has a lot of other tutorials once you get past getting started, just click on 'browse' at the top of the page.

Test Subject
#45 Old 16th Jul 2007 at 8:01 AM
I don't get how to 'cut out'. I know that this question has already been asked but I looked (and I've done) the first tute in the series and couldn't find out. Could somebody please help?
Test Subject
#46 Old 16th Jul 2007 at 6:00 PM
Firstly, I would like to say 'Thank you' for these wonderful tutorials. They are so clearly laid out and within a few hours, I had learnt everything!

I am only having one problem which I hope you can help me with.

Whenever I add sleeves or raise the neckline in the Alpha stage, the colour of the alterations is different to the base garment. I have made sure that I have done certain things (like putting the opacity level back to 100) but with no joy. Any advice would be greatly received!

Thank you.

Vicki
Test Subject
#47 Old 16th Jul 2007 at 6:00 PM
Hi i'm new to this sort of thing and i don't get the bit about the sleeves (you know taking them off or cutting them shorter
Test Subject
#48 Old 6th Aug 2007 at 9:15 PM
Where to find GIMP clothing tutorial #4(shading and details)
I successfully read and completed all the available tutorial but now I am looking for GIMP clothing tutorial #4(shading and details). I have searched http://www.sublimesims.net/ but I didn't find anything. I know it is clearly written that it will come in the future but i have waited long enough. Please send a link.
Test Subject
#49 Old 12th Sep 2007 at 6:34 AM
wow! These are so great! Easy to fallow, and read. You're a great teacher, and I appreciate the help you've given us...however one must wonder if you are going to post a tutorial on how to add images too you're shirts and things like that. If you already have, could you point me to where?
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#50 Old 12th Sep 2007 at 2:42 PM
ameenshake - #4 never got written. Vashti eventually took a long break from the game.

TheOtherWoman - if you've made it through all 3 gimp tutorials - then that's it in terms of gimp specific stuff -- but putting images on t-shirts is NOT that hard. Start with a fairly plain t-shirt from the game (or perhaps one of fanseelamb's textures, she shares) - and then get your t-shirt graphic. Delete the shirt from around it, scale it (on a separate layer) and get everything to fit, etc.

You can also look at the photoshop series (now that you've completed these). Faylen did slightly different projects - and you might be able to follow along with the general techniques using gimp.

Also, if you are new to gimp, do consider doing some assorted gimp tutorials from on the web - just to learn more editing techiques and to get further with your skills. Over time you'll want to add your own details and the more you know about how to use the graphics program, the more you'll be able to do. (I still sometimes learn something new about photoshop, and I've been using it for years!)

Page 2 of 4