Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

User Interface mod: UK English corrections (up to Pets only)

by jordi Posted 6th Sep 2006 at 5:45 PM - Updated 10th Aug 2007 at 1:16 PM by jordi

51 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 49 Feedback Posts, 1 Thanks Posts
Thanks are currently OFF: Show Thanks Posts for this thread
Page 1 of 3
Field Researcher
#2 Old 6th Sep 2006 at 6:22 PM
This is a very original idea. Good job
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 6th Sep 2006 at 6:25 PM
BRILLIANT! hehehe so different but so cool for us brits hey?!

I love buffaloes.... They're like bad ass cows!
Mad Poster
#4 Old 6th Sep 2006 at 6:33 PM
With english you are lucky !...
If you had to do it in french... I can give you more than a hundred of language errors !
It is sometimes a riddle, I wonder sometimes if I will not reinstall the game in original version.
Good job... for UK !

You know a site allowing re-upload of free build/buy stuff in lots ? Help us to update the list !

* Plus j'échoue plus je m'approche de la réussite
* The more I fail the more I approach the success

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 6th Sep 2006 at 6:35 PM
I know what you mean… same reason I don't play TS2 in my native dutch.
But these silly mistakes in UK English bug me. If you're providing a UK English locale, at least do some effort for it ^.^
Instructor
#6 Old 6th Sep 2006 at 6:44 PM
The Swedish version was okay, mostly, but I prefer the English version
Very clever idea!-Brit spell rules ;D

Hey, wanna get rid of the PaySites once and for all?

Wanna join the Animal Army?
Give me credit and you can include/default/whatever my stuff - No Paysites!
- I always use skins from Enayla
Field Researcher
#7 Old 6th Sep 2006 at 7:23 PM
That's clever!
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 6th Sep 2006 at 7:48 PM
I like it, very cool idea! But i don't mind the way Americans spell things so i'll leave it, fantastic idea though!

Call me a witch again, and i'll wack you with my broomstick and stuff you in my cauldron!
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 6th Sep 2006 at 8:31 PM
Awesome idea! I'm an American though, so I'll just keep the "u"less version.

Hey fellow simmers, I'm not here at the moment. I've left the simming community for other hobbies in life. Eventually I will be back. Until then, don't expect any of your questions to be answered. Until I come back....

Happy simming!
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 6th Sep 2006 at 8:38 PM
Great idea for us brits who get annoyed by the spelling errors in game. For me not so much. I don't mind the odd spelling mistake (or americanism).we're only human right, even those who code the games.
Very original idea -kirsty

My sim stories
(()) Pass the ribbon around if you know someone
//\\ that has survived, died, or is living with cancer.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 6th Sep 2006 at 8:46 PM
Lol, thank you! Wish you could do the same for MsWord!!!
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 6th Sep 2006 at 9:16 PM
Well, I'm glad the German version has been translated nearly perfect.

@crocobaura: Can't you choose in MSWord? I can choose between US- and UK-English (I chose German, though :D)...
Mad Poster
#13 Old 6th Sep 2006 at 9:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mikikitty
Well, I'm glad the German version has been translated nearly perfect.

@crocobaura: Can't you choose in MSWord? I can choose between US- and UK-English (I chose German, though :D)...

Apparently not, 'cause at the end of a well spelled text in UK english I get lots of spelling errors notices because of the american english.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 6th Sep 2006 at 10:49 PM
Try OpenOffice then.

Oh and as for the mod: "What would we do without 'u'!"

*Member most in need of spellcheck, period.
Zspace - An Animorphs Forum
Instructor
#15 Old 7th Sep 2006 at 8:39 AM
I have found a good link about this...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelling_differences
It is quite interesting to read.
All the best,
ZenFrog

www.crystalgecko.co.uk

Never wake a sleeping Dragon...for you are small and crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 7th Sep 2006 at 9:47 AM
Wow! This is a great idea!
The Finnish version is OK, but I play in English, as the school system is so different I'd feel weird playing in Finnish and having the kids go to expensive private school. (Almost all kids in Finland go to public schools as the public school system and teachers are excellent here.)
Scholar
#17 Old 7th Sep 2006 at 10:13 AM
Woo thanks for this! I dont have a problem with american spellings but when you select for the language to be english UK it bugs me when you end up with neighborhood! lol
Instructor
#18 Old 8th Sep 2006 at 5:16 PM
Yay for England! Thankyou!!
Mad Poster
#19 Old 9th Sep 2006 at 2:47 AM Last edited by VerDeTerre : 9th Sep 2006 at 2:53 AM.
This is an interesting idea and I can appreciate the desire to see things spelled consistently with one's culture/language, but I take exception to it being called a "correction" of American English.

Quote: Originally posted by Sherbrooke
Great. Thank you from the English speaking world!! (What the Americans speak is not English . It sometimes sounds a little bit like English but most of the time they seem to try so hard to change the pronunciation that they trip over themselves just to say it. - Like ant"eye"biotic. Ant "ee" biotic is much easier to say!) Sorry just getting carried away on my favourite hobby horse. Thanks for the mod!!

Sherbrooke - be careful about riding that "hobby horse" - I would call it a soap box and perhaps even a line in the sand. American English is different - not wrong and it is most definitely English. Consider for an instant that most vowels are pronounced openly and fully - not chopped as you hear in most modern British. American English departs from British English at the time of colonization and it's said that the Maine accent is as close as you can get to the original Shakespearean pronunciation. Again, consider how "Mainiacs" carefully pronounce their vowels. The spelling changes that occured under President FDR, such as dropping so many "u"s, were an attempt to simplify the language. I have no idea why he picked on "u" when he left so many other spelling irregularities resulting mostly from the French influence on English. I would have preferred to keep the original spelling, but do consider: Does anyone really pronounce that "u"? (For that matter, why is "sugar" pronounced "shurgar", or is that just an American pronunciation?)

In any case, would you please try to NOT insult an entire nation, its language (and hence its culture) when you are trying to compliment a mod?

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Test Subject
#20 Old 10th Sep 2006 at 1:14 PM
Keep your trousers on VerDeTerre...it is a correction - of what's supposed to be British English in the game, but patently isn't. And I've never heard anyone in the UK call it 'shurgar'...unless they were drunk and slurring.

Interesting mod - though I'm so used to seeing everything spelt 'wrong' I probably won't use it.
Test Subject
#21 Old 11th Sep 2006 at 3:17 PM
X- Ha! Good Work! - X
What a great idea, much appreciated!
Fed up with all the american spelling, we invented the language
Another extra thanks!
Emma, x x x
Test Subject
#22 Old 12th Sep 2006 at 7:25 AM
Actually you didn't, but ANYWAYS cool somebody made this :-p
Deviant Savant
retired moderator
#23 Old 12th Sep 2006 at 7:29 AM
Ok, ladies and gentlemen (and I use that term loosely).. Please refrain from insults and derogatory remarks. Comments should be limited to usage, not cultural rants. Remember there are people from all over the world on this site.

"I guess I should warn you: If I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I said" - Alan Greenspan
Instructor
Original Poster
#24 Old 12th Sep 2006 at 10:12 AM
Wording of initial post changed to hopefully make its purpose a little more clear.

I did /not/ do this mod to get into a debate about the merits and disadvantages of one form of English over another: I just wanted a more consistent interface. I chose ‘UK English’ for a reason when installing after all.

In reply to some questions I got over PM: there are several reasons I don't see myself doing the job for objects as well.
Reason #1 is that it would take a lot of time,
#2 is that it would require a different version for each XP or SP, and
#3 is that it /will/ potentially lead to problems since the only way to do it is by editing the object descriptions. Any other object mod would conflict with it.
Changing the GUI is far less likely to conflict, as as far as I know I'm the only one who did a mod like this!
Test Subject
#25 Old 21st Sep 2006 at 10:36 AM
colour or color lolz, woo and yay! nice mod here
Page 1 of 3