Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
#26 Old 24th Nov 2006 at 9:43 AM
As I said, my suggestions aren't required - you thought about this tool box, too and I think I go off and continue my *agreeing with Niol about the same topic though we don't notice*-trials...

Yes, I am serious though I'm not serious at all. I'm serious about this!
Even the joker can be deadly serious...
Wichtig ist, was hinten raus kommt!
Entscheidend daran ist, wie?
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#27 Old 24th Nov 2006 at 10:50 AM
You did a great job Delphy, i like this first layout !

So if i get this right the edit button can be used by as so we can add tutorials or?

As i said i'd like to add more finds from around the community but i dont know how to do it lol

I like Patuls idea also about having the building cheats only somewhere as reference.

You will find my older and newest creations here
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#28 Old 24th Nov 2006 at 10:57 AM
corvi,

Yes, once you register an account on the wiki you can go in and edit or change pages, and add new ones.

Essentially all tutorials go into the Tutorials: section. So, for example, if you wanted to create a page of Build Mode Cheats, you'd go to the url http://www.sims2wiki.info/Tutorials:Build Mode Cheats

The wiki will then recognise it doesn't exist yet and give you the option of creating it

Once the page is created (make sure to add it to a category!), you'd then need to add it to any relevant other pages through a link like: [[Tutorials:Build Mode Cheats]]

You can edit or view any of the existing pages to see how they are setup and laid out and then just copy the source code to your own page.

Khabit,

I have to admit I'm confused - what is this Content Manager you are talking of?

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Top Secret Researcher
#29 Old 24th Nov 2006 at 11:01 AM
Ok i realised i have t create an account so i did one , i will "experiment" around with it so i can get familiar with how to edit pages and then start doing some work little by little lol

One question does the "What you will need" title stand for expansions required therefore cheats required?

Maybe it should be changed to "Expansions/cheats required"

world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#30 Old 24th Nov 2006 at 11:14 AM
There is a link to Editing Help in the navbar on the left that will explain just... basic Sims2Wiki ettiquite, and if you click on "Wikiformatting" on there, there's links to two different places that have some good examples and help on editing if you want to do something specific but don't know how.

Also, we do have a list of build cheats (that I need to edit the text of a bit) on MTS2, with icons for the EPs they came from: http://www.modthesims2.com/article.php?p=1090788

Feel free to steal and edit for the wiki - I'd actually prefer to use whatever text you guys have as explanation for the build cheats for the MTS2 FAQ anyway if you guys end up doing a page like that... I did try to explore the cheats as I put them on there, especially the older ones, but I can't build to save my life.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Instructor
#31 Old 24th Nov 2006 at 11:18 AM
Now I realised what Niol confused *doh!* - I meant the Content List (caused by my "thinking mode: German" because Manager (yepp, German) makes more sense to me than calling it Liste - the content listed in there has to be managed, manages easy access etc. pp. - in German it is absolutely logical to talk about a Content Manager instead of a "List" (=fraud)) so sorry for the confusion this caused. Mea culpa

Top Secret Researcher
#32 Old 24th Nov 2006 at 4:47 PM
Ok i admit i'm really confused...wikiformatting seems too complicated at this moment, i've just added this but i dont know if i did it correctly , i'm also confused about what should be done with community tutorials (non mts2 ones that is).Are we addign them to were it says community tutorials or we can add them as related links as well? cause that's what i did.

Pls looks here and tell me if it's ok , i want to know before i continue
http://www.sims2wiki.info/Tutorials...iveway_Tutorial

Mad Poster
#33 Old 24th Nov 2006 at 5:42 PM Last edited by niol : 24th Nov 2006 at 6:25 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by niol
Khaibit,
The slug finally sees why the term "Content Manager"...
from post 11...

Khaibit,
Your explanation is what I meant. We do share quite amount of similar thoughts...

corvidophile2,

That's what I was confused 2 days ago.
According to what Delphy has shown on the formats there, doing the linkage first is the first step?
Lol, I've tried your link there. Just 2 extra hyphens "-" following the link, andnow it's fixed.

Delphy,
Honestly, I really thought you knew "content manager" = "content list" when you told me where the "content lists" are on post 7. If it was a co-incidence , then it's a nice one I've got the chance to realise what Khaibit meant. :P

added after patul's post:
Patul, your modified page is cool, I feel I've to catch up the pace. :D
Mad Poster
#34 Old 24th Nov 2006 at 6:08 PM
corvi !

I made one http://www.sims2wiki.info/Tutorials...Stairs#Tutorial

I upload the basegame and Eps logos
what do you think ?

You know a site allowing re-upload of free build/buy stuff in lots ? Help us to update the list !

* Plus j'échoue plus je m'approche de la réussite
* The more I fail the more I approach the success

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#35 Old 24th Nov 2006 at 9:18 PM
corvi,

Basically the idea at the moment is to simply have a Build Tutorial Content List, similar to HPs main Sims 2 Content Lists.

In this way, what needs to happen to the http://www.sims2wiki.info/Tutorials...iveway_Tutorial is this:

- First, create a new page for the other sloped driveway tutorial - call it Sloped Driveway Tutorial 2, or something
- Second, alter the text in "Related Links" to point to the other Sloped Driveway Tutorial.

Thinking about it a bit more though, if this method is gone forward then it means a lot of redundant and repetitive links - for example when you add another tutorial you would have to go back and change every other page that has that tutorial type (ie sloped driveways)

Thus, I propose that instead of linking individual pages in the "Related Links" section, that it instead links to categories of pages.

We could create a Sloped Driveway category, then add a link to it in the Related Links section of each individual Sloped Driveway Tutorial. It's repetitive from the additional category at the bottom, yes, but easier to use.

I also suggest link to any cheat pages or overall "styling" tutorials from the Related Links too - that way it's kind of a "Okay if you are interested in this tutorial you might like...." section rather than specific links to individual other ones.

Sorry if it's confusing...

patul,

Looks good but on my screen the icon knocks out the alignment of the following category, so perhaps a different approach - maybe similar to the "Infobox" type right hand navigation found on the "People" pages - http://www.sims2wiki.info/Delphy

If we had one of those boxes for each tutorial it would organise the EPs required, cheats list, and author details much easier I think.

Instructor
#36 Old 24th Nov 2006 at 9:29 PM Last edited by Khaibit : 24th Nov 2006 at 10:47 PM.
Niol, that's a perfect teamwork, don't ya think? After we realised another time that we agree even when calling stuff differently or are too lazy to repeat the already agreed stuff again we do understand each other... so it's time for another hug (I don't care that you took a bit too much perfume *puts a clothespin onto her nose* :D) I really didn't think about the confusing naming I did by accident *doh*! *goes on laughing about herself*

Patul,
looks perfect for me, cool! Links are working etc. - but I dunno if there's something missing, don't think so.

Corvidophile2/others,
just a question: do you want to sign the sites by the one who edited them? Mean: it's ok when it's done like this on every site or never = an equal look when just links are added but nothing is written by yourself immediately on that site would look 'smoother'- was I this time understandable?

@all who already add links (and those who want to get started): you're doing a great job

So far off topic: I don't know if/when Delphy wants to add language support but if so - and when it's time -may I suggest in this case that people ask in their native speaking foren for help for a link collection in one thread (1. = offers the news to a widespread audience, 2. = makes it easier to add good/ the best explaining tutorials for various topics in this language, it's easy to miss stuff on the one or another site and who knows all important links?)

Edit:
Delphy, that does makes sense! But one question: when offering quite a lot of several tutorials for the same topic (there shouldn't be a difference in Level or else) would the user have to click one after the other to try and find a nice one or could a kind of hint/rating/whatever system be added to give a hint to find easily the better explaing ones? Something to find something between the X tutorials listed in there? (Understandable what I mean?)

Edit to Niol's Edit below:
*dresses the biohazard protective clothing to survive hugging you* (you know I'm kidding too, nichwa?)

I don't think so, Tim Didn't do anything helpful.

Mad Poster
#37 Old 24th Nov 2006 at 9:29 PM Last edited by niol : 24th Nov 2006 at 9:48 PM.
Delphy,

I back your format to link back to the upstream page... that'll save a lot of work for updates to an ever growing number of tutorial info threads...
N, that's a killer, and surely I've learnt that well from the linkage updates.

Khaibit,
Unfortunately, niol just broke the wind when someone got close to him!
Nein, just kidding...
You also did a great job...
Mad Poster
#38 Old 25th Nov 2006 at 9:57 AM Last edited by patul : 25th Nov 2006 at 1:47 PM. Reason: Add explanations
I add an infobox for the tutorial :

Infobox Tutorial help
name = of the tuto/or of the generic domain
logo1st = logo image 1st ep working (they are uploaded on the gallery)
caption = title ep
author =
operating_EP = restrictions/all/followings
notes = if needed
website = why not ?

You can have a look with the "stealph stairs introduction" (link in my previous post)
I wait your comments

You know a site allowing re-upload of free build/buy stuff in lots ? Help us to update the list !

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#39 Old 25th Nov 2006 at 12:45 PM
patul,

Excellent work Well done on the infobox - it certainly gets all the relevant information across in an easy to understand format

Top Secret Researcher
#40 Old 25th Nov 2006 at 9:42 PM
Ok...i admit...i'm still confused...i think i will never get the hang of it,.. if that's ok i will be adding tutorials to related links little by little and if i do something wrong please correct it.All these formatting is just too mathematic for me lol

I hope i will get to it eventually but i doubt it.Wherever there is order i see chaos.

Instructor
#41 Old 26th Nov 2006 at 5:50 AM Last edited by Khaibit : 26th Nov 2006 at 6:00 AM.
Corvi, I added Patul's infobox to http://www.sims2wiki.info/Tutorials..._Roof_Tutorials (required infos are missing!) and as both links are not working I added several links from the new Reflexsims forum - take a look to check which is the right one, please.

Anyway, you can use this code ( [url*space*name of url] ) for further sites like adding the links with appearing title instead of a URL, take a look, and I'm sure Patul can help you if you still struggle with his info box (which is great BTW )
I don't know what belongs into which part so my changes are just additions, the site isn't finished yet - but it should help you a bit with your coding-troubles

BTW, stupid question, don't get me wrong please, but why do you sign those sites?

Test Subject
#42 Old 26th Nov 2006 at 8:59 AM Last edited by Bebeto : 26th Nov 2006 at 9:07 AM.
excused I have a problem I do not succeed to find null in order to demolish the walls and fencings created within the game, I have watched all forums, in the old game was the option you demolish wall in sims 2 not is.
tnx all bye
Mad Poster
#43 Old 26th Nov 2006 at 9:57 AM
hi, Bebeto
First i answer your question : to demolish a wall, in build mode, select the wall tool, hold <control> key and drag the tool along the wall you want to demolish, idem for fences, tiles, etc... I think it is in the sims2 booklet.

Second you have a "new thread" button to ask a new question.

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#44 Old 26th Nov 2006 at 11:10 AM
corvi,

Basically the idea, as I've said, with the related links, is to link to a category of tutorials. Adding individual tutorials one by one to specific pages isn't the right way to go ahead I think.

Essentially, you'd add a link (say from the bottom of http://www.sims2wiki.info/Tutorials..._Roof_Tutorials) to the Sloping Walls category (or the general walls one if that doesn't exist) and then add the page to that category seperately.

Instructor
#45 Old 26th Nov 2006 at 12:31 PM
Delphy,

maybe I get this wrong but I think you mean my changes at http://www.sims2wiki.info/Tutorials..._Roof_Tutorials

I added several links because Corvi's links were out of order/ invalid (just found right now the mistake in the 2nd and corrected it) so I didn't know which kind of "Roofing" tutos Corvi means. As Reflexsims forum moved and Corvi's old link was just listed by url (not helpful for finding the one which is meant ) I copied all roofing tuts I found in there to give Corvi "the right one" to choose from. This side is 'under construct', Corvi has to choose the correct link :D

Top Secret Researcher
#46 Old 26th Nov 2006 at 2:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
corvi,

Basically the idea, as I've said, with the related links, is to link to a category of tutorials. Adding individual tutorials one by one to specific pages isn't the right way to go ahead I think.

Essentially, you'd add a link (say from the bottom of http://www.sims2wiki.info/Tutorials..._Roof_Tutorials) to the Sloping Walls category (or the general walls one if that doesn't exist) and then add the page to that category seperately.

Ok i think i get it now Delphy, sorry lol

Patul can you tell me please how can i use your box? do i just copy and paste? I'm sorry but this is all new to me and i have at least 100 tutorials of what i consider helpful tutorials in my bookmarks that were useful to me in the beginning and later on around the community and i want to add them !

Khaibit i thought time and name signature was needed in order to be able to watch the additions .I dont see why you are obsessed with it and had to ask 3 times.

Anyway ....

Mad Poster
#47 Old 26th Nov 2006 at 3:18 PM
Corvi,
In the post #38 I explain how you can use the infobox tutorial
For the logos they are saved in this format :basegame.gif,UNI-ep1.gif, NL-ep2,OFB-ep3, Pets-ep4.
At this page http://www.sims2wiki.info/Template:Infobox_Tutorial you have the infobox in wiki syntax - to be copied and pasted in the overwiew section- and an other help.

Dont mind for a signature, you have an history tab where you have the successive versions and authors.
Hope it will OK for you

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Instructor
#48 Old 26th Nov 2006 at 3:23 PM
I am not "obsessed" about the signature. The point is that it's strange when one signs pages edited by this person while all the others just edit without leaving their signature. There are other possibilities to find out who did what and you just can click "watch" if you want to watch the site for changes.
In discussions signing makes sense to keep seperated who typed what but on these pages...

Anyway, I won't intervene anymore... sorry that I mixed *your* editing space up, hopefully you get along with my changes.

Mad Poster
#49 Old 27th Nov 2006 at 9:24 AM
Corvi,
all tutos have a default infobox now, the default title is the one of the tuto you can change it with the name= option (to have a group idea if you want).
So copy and paste the infobox only for the new tutos.
I will make some pages this evening
Bon courage !

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Top Secret Researcher
#50 Old 28th Nov 2006 at 8:31 AM
Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

how do i make a page like this so i can then add it to tutorials listing?

http://www.sims2wiki.info/Tutorials...colored_Flowers

I'm still having problem understanding, i tried using the infobox tutorial but i cant do it right.

I tried to make a page for a tutorial but i failed.At least i learned how to make the *

Locked thread | Locked by: ThreadMover Reason: Outdated / No Replies
Page 2 of 6