Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

More standard Pet names

by jordi Posted 2nd Dec 2006 at 4:54 PM - Updated 10th Aug 2007 at 1:38 PM by jordi

42 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 39 Feedback Posts, 2 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 2
Test Subject
#2 Old 2nd Dec 2006 at 5:01 PM
Great, I was hoping you would do one like this for pets because I just love the townie names one. Thanks alot!
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 2nd Dec 2006 at 5:20 PM
These are in English I assume? Bwehhh... me want Finnish... lol. Oh well, awesome work!

"Practice, practice, practice until you eventually get numb on rejections."
~Brian Klemmer
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 2nd Dec 2006 at 6:27 PM
I dont get it

Anything not made by Nintendo is Inferior!
Visit my site , www.-lil-cherri-berri-.piczo.com
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Dec 2006 at 7:15 PM
cyber_mouse: sorry, can't fix /that/ with a mod :p

This hack changes the name lists for Pets the game uses. So any new Pets will get names from my list, not EA Games'.
I made it because I already have duplicate names and really hate those: I have three Balins in my 'hood for example.
Since this mod has a lot more names the chance of duplicate names is far less likely.
Plus the names in the mod are all actual pet names.
Test Subject
#6 Old 2nd Dec 2006 at 8:24 PM
Could you tell us the names?
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 2nd Dec 2006 at 8:33 PM
Post over 3000 names here? No. If you open the package in SimPE you can see them.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 2nd Dec 2006 at 9:31 PM
This is really clever. Thank you for giving us something we didn't even know we needed!

"Don't harsh my melon." -- Alexis Denisof
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 2nd Dec 2006 at 9:51 PM
@ kizzmon: are you Finnish? cool! It's my favourite country!! I love the music and I'm not talking international celebrities: I know Yölintu as well, and some others too

by the way: what is this new names thing?? I don't get it!

http://www.freewebs.com/barneythegoldfish My monthly webcomic about a Goldfish and his adventures in a fishbowl..
http://www.freewebs.com/raikasims2/ my own SIMS 2 site, where some stuff is already up, but cooler stuff will be available soon ..Mesher(s) wanted, but not needed..
Instructor
Original Poster
#10 Old 2nd Dec 2006 at 10:13 PM Last edited by jordi : 2nd Dec 2006 at 10:22 PM.
Okay I'll try to explain again.
Whenever the game creates Pets, it uses a list for the names. This list has relatively few entries (88 female, 89 male names). So after a while as it adds more Pets, it begins reusing the same names.
This mod actually contains these lists, but I have changed the names in them, and added a few hundred more. So the game will use my list instead for Pet names, and since this list is a lot longer, the chance of duplicate names is far less.
Test Subject
#11 Old 3rd Dec 2006 at 2:36 AM
jordi, I'm a big fan of your original live.package and to have a new list for pets as well is just great.

Out of curiousity, does the game draw names from lists are specifically for cats or dogs? Or are all pet names drawn from the same list?
Instructor
Original Poster
#12 Old 3rd Dec 2006 at 9:08 AM
All Pet names are drawn from the same lists unfortunately. The games does have different lists for males and females.
Interestingly enough there are also lists for Pet last names (both male and female), but these appear to be not used.
Scholar
#13 Old 3rd Dec 2006 at 3:28 PM
Thank you so much. I'm sick of having multiple Baxters and Balins.

"Even the computer industry failed to see the importance of the Internet, but that's not saying much. Let's face it, the computer industry failed to see that the century would end." - Douglas Adams
Test Subject
#14 Old 5th Dec 2006 at 1:22 AM
Thank you! I'm tired of Maxx, Maxx 2, Maxx 3... you get the idea!

Want to see more of my creations? Click Here!
Field Researcher
#15 Old 5th Dec 2006 at 10:02 AM
Does this list include the original within it? I kinda like some of the names, but would like to be able to have some variety at the same time...

"Are you mad?"
"Possibly."
Instructor
Original Poster
#16 Old 5th Dec 2006 at 11:03 AM
Nyara: not the entire list. There is some overlap because names appeared in both lists, but some names like Balin are not included. I don't like most of the default Pet names.

If you're adept with SimPE you can add the names you like to the lists yourself (they're in alphabetical order, and labelled).
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#17 Old 5th Dec 2006 at 11:38 AM
Finally - I worked out what that Live.package was in my hacks folder and Lo! it's been updated for Pets. Excellent.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 5th Dec 2006 at 1:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jordi
Nyara: not the entire list. There is some overlap because names appeared in both lists, but some names like Balin are not included. I don't like most of the default Pet names.

If you're adept with SimPE you can add the names you like to the lists yourself (they're in alphabetical order, and labelled).

Oh ok - I may play as-is for the time being then, and see what names I get. But this is still a nice mod, and one I shall definitely investigate again in future.

"Are you mad?"
"Possibly."
Instructor
Original Poster
#19 Old 10th Dec 2006 at 1:08 PM Last edited by jordi : 11th Dec 2006 at 10:33 AM.
moonluck @ MATY reported a problem with this mod,where the "about" text somehow ended up in the aspiration text field.
I can't see how this happened, but have changed the mod so this should now become even more impossible (about text has been removed).

Even if you did not encounter this problem yet, please redownload it just in case.
Test Subject
#20 Old 17th Dec 2006 at 2:37 AM
Thank you! Just today I was getting annoyed by all the "Pepper"s and "Baxter"s that keep showing up. And then I find this. I loved your townie one and now I'll be lovin' this. ^_^
Forum Resident
#21 Old 30th Dec 2006 at 2:34 AM
Very useful!, I'm currently adopting Wolves and it was all very confusing - thanks for sharing!...

To all, of the very talented MTS-2 creative types - my sincere thanks for taking the time to create/upload/share...
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 9th Jan 2007 at 3:36 PM
I've been using your original live.package for some time now and was really pleased to have duplicate names pretty much eliminated. Now that I finally have Pets, I'm really happy that I can avoid the duplicate name problem with animals from the start.
Test Subject
#23 Old 21st Mar 2007 at 12:19 PM
Thank God! I was getting so bored with the same stupid pets all the time!
Field Researcher
#24 Old 21st Mar 2007 at 5:03 PM
This may be a retarded question (but please, consider the source. Heh!), can I use this if I don't have Pets? Or should I download something else?

is it can be sims tiem now plees?
Instructor
Original Poster
#25 Old 21st Mar 2007 at 5:15 PM
It is safe to use if you do have Seasons but don't have Pets installed — the game should just ignore the Pets name lists. You will still get the new townie/NPC name lists.

If you have Pets nor Seasons, you could get the old version to be safe. The newer version (in this thread) should be safe, but I haven't tested it. Then again it is extremely unlikely to conflict.
Page 1 of 2