Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Invisible Window

by rebecah Posted 27th Jul 2007 at 12:13 AM - Updated 9th Oct 2008 at 3:27 PM by rebecah : Updated diagonal frosted window

43 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 39 Feedback Posts, 3 Thanks Posts
Thanks are currently OFF: Show Thanks Posts for this thread
Page 1 of 2
Forum Resident
#2 Old 27th Jul 2007 at 1:21 AM
I remember these in Sims 1, I've wanted them for Sims 2. They are very useful. Thanks for making them.
Test Subject
#3 Old 27th Jul 2007 at 5:54 AM
perfect jus wut i need! i hate the lights on in the morning.
Not actually evil.
#4 Old 27th Jul 2007 at 6:08 AM
Neat idea. If you remove the corner windows, does it get rid of the highlights on the wall? Or do the corners then become too dark? I should check this in game...
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 27th Jul 2007 at 6:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CatOfEvilGenius
Neat idea. If you remove the corner windows, does it get rid of the highlights on the wall? Or do the corners then become too dark? I should check this in game...

It may be my video card too. I have a Nvidia and get a lot of light spots that others don't get. I even installed the beta drives and they didn't help much.
Alchemist
#6 Old 27th Jul 2007 at 6:57 AM
Really interesting, I'll try (when downloading will be easier, just a bit of patience). Thank you rebecah, you're giving us a lot of useful stuff. Ciao!
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 27th Jul 2007 at 10:16 AM
this is really a good idea! rooms are often too dark when they have just one or two windows. but so i can bring more light in the rooms. thanx, rebecah!
Scholar
#8 Old 27th Jul 2007 at 10:27 AM
I think Numenor's seamless wall window set contains some invisible windows and doors.

Edit: Oh, and a quick question: do these windows take up the wall slot like normal windows, or can you hang pictures on the same space without cheats? Just wondering.

"Even the computer industry failed to see the importance of the Internet, but that's not saying much. Let's face it, the computer industry failed to see that the century would end." - Douglas Adams
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 27th Jul 2007 at 10:28 AM
Brilliant! It's perfect for my vampire's warehouse lot Thank you!
Scholar
Original Poster
#10 Old 27th Jul 2007 at 10:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gwillewyn
I think Numenor's seamless wall window set contains some invisible windows and doors.

Edit: Oh, and a quick question: do these windows take up the wall slot like normal windows, or can you hang pictures on the same space without cheats? Just wondering.

I does take up the slot and you would need to use the moveobjects on to place another item on the windows.
Test Subject
#11 Old 27th Jul 2007 at 5:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gwillewyn

To put an object on a wall with a window, just hold down the [Ctrl] and [Alt] keys. This has the effect of a 'temporary' [moveobjects on] cheat- as soon as you let go of the keys, it goes away.

Ugly is Learned
Scholar
Original Poster
#12 Old 27th Jul 2007 at 6:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BobbyDread
To put an object on a wall with a window, just hold down the [Ctrl] and [Alt] keys. This has the effect of a 'temporary' [moveobjects on] cheat- as soon as you let go of the keys, it goes away.

Wow thanks so much for this info. I didn't know this myself. Thanks BobbyDread!
Scholar
Original Poster
#13 Old 28th Jul 2007 at 6:02 PM Last edited by whiterider : 29th Jul 2007 at 10:09 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Baby Phat
Post deleted by staff

I updated my work on a daily basis. I try to fix any problems found. You've never told me about any problems. If I don't know what the problems are I can't fix them. If you dislike my work why even look at it? If you have 2 other peoples invisible windows why would you need mine?

I certainly hope you don't discourage other creators like this.
Test Subject
#14 Old 28th Jul 2007 at 7:30 PM
Thanks so much for this, I've wanted an invisible window for some time but have not found one until now. I have some of your other items and really like them and have not noticed any problems with them. Keep up the good work!!

Melly_Sim
Scholar
Original Poster
#15 Old 28th Jul 2007 at 8:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Melly_Sim
Thanks so much for this, I've wanted an invisible window for some time but have not found one until now. I have some of your other items and really like them and have not noticed any problems with them. Keep up the good work!!

Melly_Sim

Thanks you!
Slacker of Immense Slackness
retired moderator
#16 Old 31st Jul 2007 at 8:35 AM
Great idea thanks Rebecah =) I use Numenors set invis windows (they are the only ones I have seen and I have a download folder now split into four parts hehe) but this one is perfect to drop into every download folder and use all the time =) I hate the fact I have to use so many bloody windows in a lot to get it to be nicely lit so invisi windows are essential!

<:3))~~ Loverat
"In some cultures what I do is considered normal"

www.loverat.net Check it out for other recolours & lot uploads =D
Inventor
#17 Old 31st Jul 2007 at 11:36 AM
Thank you for these invisible windows, I used them in my african and native huts and it looks great.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 13th Aug 2007 at 2:04 PM
Rebekah, I can't seem to get them into my game-I only have the base game, and while the file says it is compatible, is there anything else that I should do to get them to work?

I've downloaded them at least twice, and still no luck. They don't show up in the catalog under windows..sigh. I was hoping to use them!
I do have CEP, too.

Thanks for any reply.
Test Subject
#19 Old 16th Aug 2007 at 1:37 AM
I love you.
Scholar
Original Poster
#20 Old 17th Aug 2007 at 2:53 AM Last edited by rebecah : 17th Aug 2007 at 3:10 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
Rebekah, I can't seem to get them into my game-I only have the base game, and while the file says it is compatible, is there anything else that I should do to get them to work?

I've downloaded them at least twice, and still no luck. They don't show up in the catalog under windows..sigh. I was hoping to use them!
I do have CEP, too.

Thanks for any reply.

They may take one of the EP's but I did have my setting set to base game only.

Does anyone anyone else with out ep's not able to use these? I have no way to actually test this. I will check to see it they work with Life Stories.

It works fine in Life Stories so it should work for base game also.

Did you unzip the file into your ...\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads?
Theorist
#21 Old 3rd Sep 2007 at 9:11 PM
I also had invisible windows in the Sims 1, and was missing them in the Sims 2. The Dark Project was a little too optically dark for me, and I wanted some invisible windows to put under the beautiful fake "wallpaper windows" that were included in some of the buildings. I was just paging through all the windows here at MTS2, thinking I might have to make my own invisible window because I hadn't come across one before. I was delighted to find this one, because I have no shortage of projects! Thanks very much Rebecah!

I have lately found Numenor's BaseGameStarter Pro to be immensely useful during the development cycle, not only for checking base game or particular EP compatibility, but for dramatically speeding up loading times compared to my normal gaming environment. I will check this window out in base game mode when I get home.

In my recent clone of the base game mirror, I was quite surprised that although I had all the SimPE EP filters enabled, I still managed to create an object that was not base game compatible. It appears I needed to exit SimPE and then restart it, because evidently the EP functions were already loaded. I had the same symptom as this one, that the object just wouldn't show up in the catalogue. In any event I will check for compatibility later today.
Scholar
Original Poster
#22 Old 4th Sep 2007 at 1:20 AM
In my recent clone of the base game mirror, I was quite surprised that although I had all the SimPE EP filters enabled, I still managed to create an object that was not base game compatible. It appears I needed to exit SimPE and then restart it, because evidently the EP functions were already loaded. I had the same symptom as this one, that the object just wouldn't show up in the catalogue. In any event I will check for compatibility later today.[/QUOTE]

You can also click the reload button at the top box when you change preferences. I ususally just restart SimPE myself though. I think the reload button only works if you haven't used the object workshop prior to doing the reload.
Theorist
#23 Old 4th Sep 2007 at 1:21 AM
I can confirm that while the invisible window works wonderfully in my normal gaming environment, it does not show up in a base game only installation.

Sorry, our two posts crossed, we posted at almost the same time! Yes, I think I will continue to exit and reload SimPE when changing to base game only, it just seems safer that way. I really disliked having to redo everything!
Scholar
Original Poster
#24 Old 4th Sep 2007 at 3:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sophie-David
I can confirm that while the invisible window works wonderfully in my normal gaming environment, it does not show up in a base game only installation.

Sorry, our two posts crossed, we posted at almost the same time! Yes, I think I will continue to exit and reload SimPE when changing to base game only, it just seems safer that way. I really disliked having to redo everything!

Thanks for your report! I don't understand why it would work with Life Stories and not the base game.

Does anyone have just the base game installed to test this for me?
Theorist
#25 Old 4th Sep 2007 at 5:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rebecah
Thanks for your report! I don't understand why it would work with Life Stories and not the base game.

Does anyone have just the base game installed to test this for me?
Well I did just test it with the base game. Numenor's system really is the base game and not a simulation - it uses file copying to make all your expansions and stuff packs invisible. You even have to use your original Sims 2 disk - it's the real deal. Its also very easy to set up and use - give it a try!
Page 1 of 2