Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Realistic Ages Global Mod

by SomeSimmer Posted 23rd Nov 2007 at 8:48 PM - Updated 31st Dec 2012 at 9:58 PM by Phaenoh

152 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 145 Feedback Posts, 6 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 7
Field Researcher
#2 Old 23rd Nov 2007 at 8:57 PM
will this shorten the life span at all?

my personal life can be supported by veiwing this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n2z-Q6x6eU and others on my youtube page. I believe there's a few building tutorials there aswell. I create rather sporadically, so excuse me if I'm gone from this website for months or years at a time.
Scholar
#3 Old 23rd Nov 2007 at 9:08 PM
can u tell us how many days each like stage is now?
Forum Resident
#4 Old 23rd Nov 2007 at 9:18 PM
Nice job, but "45+ Elder"? It's funny, I think "65+ Elder" would be better .

"I will gather my wounds forge the end of tragic comedy"
AM
Field Researcher
#5 Old 23rd Nov 2007 at 9:29 PM
I guess I'm just kind of seconding some remarks already made. First, I must say that as a *ahem* over 40 (barely) person myself, I think "Elder" is not a term I'd use to describe me. So yes, maybe starting that category at the age of 60 or 65 would be a great idea. The other comment is that we don't really know how long you've changed their life spans to. So, if you could let us know that it would help us decide if this is gonna be something we want to try. On the whole though, it seems like a very good idea and I'm glad you thought of it!
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 23rd Nov 2007 at 9:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by btrfly0666
I guess I'm just kind of seconding some remarks already made. First, I must say that as a *ahem* over 40 (barely) person myself, I think "Elder" is not a term I'd use to describe me. So yes, maybe starting that category at the age of 60 or 65 would be a great idea. The other comment is that we don't really know how long you've changed their life spans to. So, if you could let us know that it would help us decide if this is gonna be something we want to try. On the whole though, it seems like a very good idea and I'm glad you thought of it!

I'd have to agree. I'm going on 40 and I feel elder starts around 60. It's too bad Maxis didn't put a middle-aged age in there to round it out like they did with young adult. Once you hit 40 you are assumed to be in this category (ie. Not too old, not young enough).
So, how does this effect the lifespans? Specifically the young adults for Uni.
Test Subject
#7 Old 23rd Nov 2007 at 9:59 PM
so... this does.... ??

An eager horse walks in front of you. A lazy horse walks behind you. But a patient horse walk beside you and sees you as an equal.
Scholar
#8 Old 23rd Nov 2007 at 9:59 PM
There really needs to be another age cagegory. The 'adults' as pictured in the Sims are 20-30-somethings. The 'elders' all moan and groan, walk around hunched over and really correspond to 75+ somethings. (I know some 75+ who would be insulted!). There is a class of human being (really) between 40 and 70 who are, perhaps, no longer young things but don't have a foot in the grave either. Let's call them mature adults - they're the ones putting the YA through college! You can play with the age bands all you want but the real problem is the missing age category of mature adults. Maxis and EA take notice!

Imagine a world without hypothetical situations
Test Subject
#9 Old 23rd Nov 2007 at 10:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by clareabell
so... this does.... ??

This alters the age when a sim grows up

Skins in a bottle - send me a link to the skin and IF the creator ok's me using his/her skin I'll make a SCV for it
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#10 Old 23rd Nov 2007 at 10:39 PM
I'm more interested in how you did this. I downloaded it to see if I could change it to the way I wanted it for my game, but I can't make heads or tails of it. Would you be willing to explain which lines are for each age, or is this a secret you will take with you to your grave? (I completely understand if thats the case, I have a few of my own of those!)

At very least, I would like to know how many days per age your version makes everybody. I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in that.
Test Subject
#11 Old 23rd Nov 2007 at 11:27 PM
I don't really get what this mod does.
'it alters the age when a sim grows up'
Huh? D:
Test Subject
#12 Old 23rd Nov 2007 at 11:34 PM
well, this calls for a resounding...

eh?
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 23rd Nov 2007 at 11:42 PM
I'd also think that 19 would still be a teenager.. lol.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 23rd Nov 2007 at 11:51 PM
Hi SomeSimmer. Thanks so much for your fantastic job. like everyone I`d like to know, if I may , some things: What about the Young Adults? I consider they should be between 17-23 (the age people are at university) don`t you think so? AndI agree elders should be up to 65/75... . And I also would like to know the sims`days eah age will take...
Thanks so, so, so much for sharing your fantastic job with all of you!!!

Please, pay attention to my creator`s policy.
(\_/)
(o.O)
(> <)
This is Jack, the little rabbit; add him to your signature and help him to take over the world!!!
Field Researcher
#15 Old 23rd Nov 2007 at 11:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Phaenoh
I'm more interested in how you did this. I downloaded it to see if I could change it to the way I wanted it for my game, but I can't make heads or tails of it. Would you be willing to explain which lines are for each age, or is this a secret you will take with you to your grave? (I completely understand if thats the case, I have a few of my own of those!)

At very least, I would like to know how many days per age your version makes everybody. I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in that.

I'd like to second this, please. I've been dying for a hack that would simply double or even triple sim lifespans for ages now (well, double everything except babies).
Forum Resident
#16 Old 23rd Nov 2007 at 11:54 PM
I have to agree here, I am 47 and I am not elderly !!! Elderly starts around 60.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 24th Nov 2007 at 12:09 AM
well, i would prefer elders to start at a higher age, maybe even 55 if it screws things up too much to start at 60. as far as the young adult question, i don't think that's relevant. if you remember your game, a person can go to college the day after they become a teen. as soon as they leave college, they are an adult. it's up to the player as to how/when this takes place, if at all. I think it's a great idea. For those of you who don't understand what this does... how can we make it simpler? well, you know how each life stage lasts a certain number of days? toddlers last 4 days, children 8, etc.? yeah? well, this changes the number of days each stage lasts. toddlers last 6 days, children 12 (if i'm calculating correctly), etc.
Test Subject
#18 Old 24th Nov 2007 at 12:09 AM
I would have to agree with every one too, elderly is definatly not 45. That would make my uncle and elder and he's definatly not. You also need to tell us how much the life span is changed.

"Why are entire years strewn
On the cutting room floor of memory
When single frames from one magic night
Forever flicker in close-up
On the 3-D Imax on my mind"

~RENT
Test Subject
#19 Old 24th Nov 2007 at 12:17 AM
I agree that 45 is way too young to be an elder. Not many people have white hair and are in a position to retire at that age. Most people don't retire until they're at least 60, so it makes sense for the transition to take place then.
Field Researcher
#20 Old 24th Nov 2007 at 12:33 AM
The game already has elders aged as 59 days old right after their birthday. Did you just tell the game to make them an elder at 45 instead? That kind of sucks, since it shortens their lifespan. I think your first three stages are fine, but nineTEEN is still teen and you maybe could have added a middle age instead of chopping off some days/years. Maybe right where you've called them elders?
I don't have Uni, so I know nothing about having young adults.

I basically just like to play uglacies.
Test Subject
#21 Old 24th Nov 2007 at 1:03 AM
I do have a problem when 'elder' starts - if you want to be realistic - adulthood is the longest life span in real life and realistically 'elder' starts sometime after late retirement - and at the earliest at perhaps 65+. Many people are still 'adults' and not elders when they become grandparents - often living to see grandchildren grown up. This would be mor realistic for the sims.
As for teens - the term comes from the 'teen' ending on numbers starting at 13 and ending at 20 when early adulthood is 'considered' to start. Children do not becomes teens at 12 - they are still considered children or pre-teens at 12, not teenagers.
Toddlers are considered to end after the 4th year, as many children start school (kindergarden) at the age of 5.

As for young adults - they only exists while in college and so how long they are 'young adults' depends on how long you play with them at college and don't let them graduate. I don'y think there is anyway to actually extend that time other thenwith game play

Its great to see someone working on more realistic ages groups, but until groups get more realistic about adulthood its pretty much the same as just adding a couple of days to the maxis adult group and no real difference in the game play
Test Subject
#22 Old 24th Nov 2007 at 1:27 AM
I love the concept (I think the life spans in game are WAY too long... I get bored easily) but I'd like to know if this is compatible with inTeen.
Test Subject
#23 Old 24th Nov 2007 at 1:28 AM
Well if nothing else, you have given us quite a debate! I say thanks for sharing and age is relative.

[COLOR=DimGray]I'M TOO OLD TO LIVE THIS LONG AND KNOW SO LITTLE[/COLOR]
Instructor
#24 Old 24th Nov 2007 at 1:51 AM
...I don't have a problem when elder starts! :OOOO
I just kill them off anyways (just like 90% of the community as it is).
Please, don't complain about the ages at all...SS (SomeSimmer) even explained it, would you rather have adults be tons and tons of days while elder gets a scrawny little cut off, so please, these comments of 'I have a complaint about the ages' need to stop; as there is no point.

I like this mod, as the babies only have about 4 days and there's not really a point to them, this helps out with that, also, this mod seems to be the only of its kind if I'm not mistaken, so thanks for delving into the world of modding.

This idea is great, and so is this upload so thank you.

[/people complaining about elders. >;O]
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 24th Nov 2007 at 1:57 AM
Hmm, I have to admit it sounds easier than careful use of the aging on/off cheat, maybe some poking one way or the other with the elixer of life, and, if things get really desperate, the Tombstone of Life and Death (only for the use of aging annoying babies, of course... *looks innocent*)

I would have to agree that "Elder" as the game depicts them definitely isn't until someone is way, WAY over 45, though... That's roughly how old my parents were when they met, I think!

Outside of numerical decisions, I think 18 IS the better choice for Teens to grow up, though - 18 is when you go on to uni, or else leave school, as well as being the age when practically everything becomes legal, so that's when society decides you're an adult.

... Apart from in America, where the drinking age is 21, of course...

In relation to this download though, I think I'll be sticking with the Maxis ages, though, just 'cause I'm used to them, and I'm also easily confused... I would take forever to get used to some new system!
Page 1 of 7