Replies: 4 (Who?), Viewed: 1980 times.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Jan 2008 at 4:41 PM
Default Animating in Milkshape
HP posted about this briefly, but I couldn't quite follow it. http://modthesims2.com/showpost.php...941&postcount=2

How do you select "joint" mode?

Or "animate" mode? How do you choose what mode at all?

Totally confused.

Thanks very much.

Stephanie
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 24th Jan 2008 at 6:16 PM
Model Tab - Select Mode (the Select button) - Joint button down below.

The "Anim" button comes up on the Keyframer. Window Menu - Show Keyframer, far right at the bottom is the square Anim button.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Jan 2008 at 10:05 PM
Default Thanks very much
Quote:
Originally Posted by HystericalParoxysm
Model Tab - Select Mode (the Select button) - Joint button down below.

The "Anim" button comes up on the Keyframer. Window Menu - Show Keyframer, far right at the bottom is the square Anim button.

I can't believe I didn't know where the joint button was. Yikes! Ok, I think only one more duh-duh question. Now that I have the joint selected, how do I rotate it?
Alchemist
#4 Old 24th Jan 2008 at 10:57 PM
The joints panel has a list of the joint names. Double click on the one you want to rotate to select it, you can tell it is selected when the name is on the text box.

Then you go to the main panel (leftmost tab) and press in the button that says rotate.

Now you can press the big ANIM button and start moving stuff.

Now, in your four views you can control the rotation by mouse (click-drag) in the three ordinary orthogonal (flat, not 3D) projections. Usually this is left, front and top. You can move any two of the three directions in a single move, but which two depends on which window. By example, in the front view you can rotate a leg on the Y axis (like an ankle twist) or the Z axis, like a side kick, but you cannot make the leg move forward like a kick (X axis), you have to use the left or right views for that.

You can lock the rotate function for any axis. Those are the little X Y Z buttons that appear when you select rotate. For starter purposes, deselect two of the three and try clicking and dragging on a window to see if you get the movement you want. If not, use undo, try a different button or a different window until you get used to how the movements operate.

It's not really hard to do, but the sequence of steps needed (bone selection by double-click, rotate button pressed, ANIM pressed, click-drag in view) is not intuitive.

<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 7th Feb 2008 at 10:46 PM
I see. Thank you very very very much!