Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Intrepid Class Furniture

by jasonduskey Posted 27th Jan 2008 at 3:30 AM - Updated 18th Sep 2008 at 12:28 AM by jasonduskey

29 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 26 Feedback Posts, 2 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 2
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 27th Jan 2008 at 7:59 PM
Sweet, your creations just get better and better.

Honor, Loyalty, and Sacrifice
Gone Fishin'
retired moderator
#3 Old 27th Jan 2008 at 9:39 PM
Absolutely brilliantly brilliant as always. This is just the energy infusion my cold-addled brain needed today!
Field Researcher
#4 Old 27th Jan 2008 at 10:59 PM
Really well done. I don't need Star Trek furniture but I thought I would let you know I appreciate your work. :*)

~JJ~
Looking for a forum to host your creations? Let's talk. PM me or email me from my site below.

Check out Lucentsims :*) And our forums.
Test Subject
#5 Old 27th Jan 2008 at 11:34 PM
Fantastic work! You really are talented.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#6 Old 27th Jan 2008 at 11:55 PM
lucentgem: Thank you. It means a lot when other creators take time out of their own projects to post feedback.
Mr. Happy: I'm just a jerk who knows a thing or 2 about Blender
Thanks, all, for the positive feedback

I'm no longer active here. My latest creations can be found here:

https://blueheavensims.wordpress.com
Test Subject
#7 Old 28th Jan 2008 at 1:14 AM
I'm not really sure what I'm going to do with it- I haven't gotten around to doing any ST themed stuff with my sims yet- but its awesome, and I LOVE Voyager, so I'm taking it :-)

Now if I could just find a good Chakotay sim....
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#8 Old 28th Jan 2008 at 4:24 AM
There's a decent Chakotay here: http://www.modthesims2.com/creator/...ad.php?t=161916
Most of the sims in that set are pretty good. It's an old one, I had to do a search for star trek and go back to the very first page. If you're not happy with the uniforms, try nixnivis's Voyager uniforms here: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=246232

Theorist
#9 Old 28th Jan 2008 at 12:13 PM
Wow - very impressive!
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 28th Jan 2008 at 1:06 PM
I'm going to repeat myself over and over again... but I love your work! My Star Trek neiberhood keeps growing and I'm trying to make enough sims for a whole fleet. Keep up the great work and thanks a million times!

My medieval legacy: Rowena's Sims
Alchemist
#11 Old 28th Jan 2008 at 2:27 PM
Hi Jason, thank you for giving so many objects and houses to those with a predominant sci-fi gene! I hope you'll join the upcoming sci-fi contest here, it will be great. Thanks once more and ciao :D
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#12 Old 28th Jan 2008 at 7:10 PM
Warning- Incoming rant
lamammaforever: I don't do contests, sister. If it was possible to vote for any submission entered I would participate. As it is, there are usually 40 or 50 good entries, and our dear moderators handpick 5 of the "highest quality" (translation- moderator's pet) entries. A lot of good artists are getting snubbed. Unless or until the contests follow the "people's choice" format and not the "electoral college" format, I for one won't participate.
I will, however, be making a couple of custom meshes for Steph's entry

Forum Resident
#13 Old 30th Jan 2008 at 11:53 AM
Warning - Incoming rant (:D)
I totally agree with you there, but not participating is, in my opinion, a silly thing to do, specially in your case... because you'd deserve to win, I don't like sci fi, but I tell you that I'm tempted to download all this stuff and Steph's just to take a closer look at it. And in the case you didn't win, well, we all know the reason

Keep up the hard work, your creations are AMAZING, and you know it :D
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 30th Jan 2008 at 2:02 PM
I'm afraid you ladies are beating a dead horse! To each his own! Besides, I'm sure most of the "entries" will be filled with Jason's great objects! How's that for poetic justice?

Hi Jay! Thanks for creating the meshes bro'! I'm psyched about my little "secret" project now!

BTW - These are great. I have plans for a few of your objects myself!

Creativity is giving the soul permission to leap beyond the boundaries of the ordinary!
~*~Stephanie~*~
Alchemist
#15 Old 30th Jan 2008 at 4:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jasonduskey
Warning- Incoming rant
lamammaforever: I don't do contests, sister. If it was possible to vote for any submission entered I would participate. As it is, there are usually 40 or 50 good entries, and our dear moderators handpick 5 of the "highest quality" (translation- moderator's pet) entries. A lot of good artists are getting snubbed. Unless or until the contests follow the "people's choice" format and not the "electoral college" format, I for one won't participate.
I will, however, be making a couple of custom meshes for Steph's entry

I understand what you mean Jason, and partially agree.
As you said, I know very well many talented creators ignored despite of their stunning objects, meshes, recolors or buildings and I'm sad when I see that.
Luckily for me and for many others here stars, golden cups or the number of downloads are not so important. We like creating and sharing and that's it, as well as you I guess. Please don't stop because your creations are really good and original (however, don't mind if I still hope you'll join the contest ).
Kiss and ciao
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#16 Old 31st Jan 2008 at 3:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lauralaima
Warning - Incoming rant (:D)
I totally agree with you there, but not participating is, in my opinion, a silly thing to do, specially in your case...

Quote: Originally posted by lamammaforever
As you said, I know very well many talented creators ignored despite of their stunning objects, meshes, recolors or buildings and I'm sad when I see that.

So then, wouldn't participating be enabling (forgive any similarities to Fred Phelps) the moderator-fabricated paradigm of unoriginalness? If I enter, I want to win or lose based on my skill as a modder and not on how I rub off on the moderators. I'm not really concerned with popularity or being featured, I create because I enjoy creating and I upload so that other folks can enjoy my creations too. (Although when a creation gets 1600+ DLs in its first 24 hours of life, not to mention 60-some thanks, and doesn't get picked, what does that tell us about the system?) I don't intend to stop anytime soon, but I won't give the powers-that-be more fuel to continue their upload snobbery.

Scholar
#17 Old 31st Jan 2008 at 4:42 PM
I just have to tell you Science Fiction is really not my things at all, but I want they just because they are so well done. I loved Star Trek when I was much younger. You creations here are absolutely fantastic and so realistic. To me these items say OMG...WOW...drop mouth open..Superb!

I also completely understand what you are saying about posting and agree with you 100%. I also create and post for the many users that enjoy my work. I could and would say a lot more about this issure but I guess it is best to let sleeping dogs lay.

Great job please keep it up. Thanks so very much for sharing your very hard work with us.

Now I'm off to look for other items you've created..because this is certainly exceptional.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#18 Old 31st Jan 2008 at 10:40 PM
Now I feel embarrased. Sister, it is a pleasure and an honor for you to give this insignifigant little worm your attention. It really means a lot when not just typical downloaders, but creators (and animators!) deign to post. Thank you very much.

Theorist
#19 Old 1st Feb 2008 at 12:53 AM
I have been agreeing with much of what you have been saying further above. But in your last post my impression is that you are trading one form of elitism for another. Regardless, your creations are first class!
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 2nd Feb 2008 at 9:46 PM
Wonderful set!!! Does somebody know where my jaw is?

Please, pay attention to my creator`s policy.
(\_/)
(o.O)
(> <)
This is Jack, the little rabbit; add him to your signature and help him to take over the world!!!
Scholar
#21 Old 3rd Feb 2008 at 3:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jasonduskey
Now I feel embarrased. Sister, it is a pleasure and an honor for you to give this insignifigant little worm your attention. It really means a lot when not just typical downloaders, but creators (and animators!) deign to post. Thank you very much.

Oh no don't ever feel insignificant...you're creations are very significant, and you have a ton of talent. Look at all the downloads over 500 each...that significant.

I took forward to seeing what you come up with next. I'm adding you as one of my favorite creators to be sure I don't miss anything as I don't spend a lot of time looking for new things...I try to spend my free time creating. I'm that impressed with you.
Scholar
#22 Old 19th Feb 2008 at 8:48 AM
These are very amazing. I did not really know how much of the Star Trek universe had been recreated for sims by modders until I saw some of the buildings that had been made.

I was wondering how it works out to have these items in the game. I mean, the Sims are not very easy to make do anything other than water balloon fights and pillow fights. That is pretty much all that happens when I try to have several adults in the same lot, with free will on. I find it incredibly difficult to even coordinate some semblance of a normal gathering for photo taking purposes. One idiot will run off to pet a skunk, two others start chasing each other around the lot like three year olds.

I would hate to have a beautiful starship in my game with these amazing items only to have the Sims act their normal moronic selves, hitting each other with pillows. Are you able to create a life for the sims that lets them use these items in a way that can mimic a scene from star trek? Or are these items basically props for photo-shoots for stories? I guess what I'm asking is if it is possible to make the Sims act in a way that would do justice to the beautiful starship settings? Do you have to hack the heck out of the game?

I'm sorry for expressing myself poorly. Getting over the flu. Anyway, I'm breathless not from the flu but from finding this amazing furniture set. I grew up with Trek. I was born around the time the original first aired! We kids played Star Trek at recess a lot. It knocks me out I could have Trek as part of Sims. :D

What if one little pop could open a world of wonder
So sensory, so satisfying. It's the magic Friskies makes happen every day in so many ways
Friskies, feed the senses. Cat sez eff that, gimme cheezburgers.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#23 Old 19th Feb 2008 at 2:44 PM
Well. This brings up several good points. My game is seriously modified for sci-fi gameplay, and includes plenty of tweaks. Among them are the "no autonomous..." hacks. This tends to keep adult sims from acting like kids.

I try to make my stuffz functional as well as good-looking. Of course there are a few items that are designed more with movie-making in mind. (the functional standing consoles come to mind) But most of my objects are designed for day-in day-out use by sci-fi sims. Example: The tricorder set was created specifically so that the sims could build certain skills nesecary for a Starfleet career.

As far as storytelling/moviemaking, you're on your own. The sims have minds of their own and there's not a lot you can do to alter that. If you use some funtional standing consoles and invisible computer-equipped sitting consoles, you can get some pretty decent shots of the bridge.

Theorist
#24 Old 19th Feb 2008 at 6:33 PM
Yes, that is an interesting question, summersong! In my own case I don't use "no autonomous" hacks and also leave the autonomous switch turned on in the game. But my playing style is such that I almost always have instructions queued up for all my playable Sims, so that they rarely have to fall back on their own silly behaviours. Generally when they do drop out of the queue it is to go the bathroom or some other necessity, and their fun needs have usually been taken care of. This micro-managing style of play is too tedious if you have a large crew, so small ships and small crews work better in this case.

It also depends on which personality types you have mixed in with your crew. The Federation probably doesn't have many openings available for pleasure Sims, for example.

To keep it interesting and have something to work towards, I make sure that the Sims advance through the custom space oriented careers to achieve their appropriate ranks within the ship's personnel structure. And these space lots, although often utopian, are generally expensive, so I make sure that the crew will eventually pay off the loan that pays for the ship. I do this by taking a loan out using Monique's computer, so there is generally no "free money" in my games, except for testing purposes.

Game interest also comes from having a rather disreputable collection of planetary or alien ship inhabitants in the neighbourhood for those straight-laced Federation types to tangle with. This is where the pleasure seekers, money grubbers, and romantic sirens can throw interesting curves into the predictability of Federation careers. Will Riker give it all up to run away with a Twi'lek? (And yes, its fun to mix and match the science fiction mythologies).

Another key thing for me is to have no roving animals in space! So I use one of the No Pets signs that are available from several sources so that there are no visiting skunks or strays showing up from nowhere.

I've diverted a bit off track from Jason's work here, but masterpieces like these are vital for playing out a space story in a way that the imagination forgets about the typical four-wall suburbia that the game tends to impose.

One thing that I would like to see, that I'm sure will develop as the custom game environment matures further, is a convincingly spacey neighbourhood for Sims to go on vacation to. The three defaults provided in Bon Voyage are way too earth oriented for my tastes. Lets rip up the trees and dispense with all that glorious water as a start! They'll never want to go back on duty otherwise.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#25 Old 20th Feb 2008 at 4:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sophie-David
It also depends on which personality types you have mixed in with your crew. The Federation probably doesn't have many openings available for pleasure Sims, for example.

Riker and Paris were motivated by what, exactly?

Again, these are very good points. I've been trying to do a lot more cruisers and destroyers recently, so that the downloader has more mid- to small-sized lots available, but I guess that depends on your play style. My personal style is to assemble larger crews of little electronic people with vastly different personalities and watch them drive each other crazy. This play style is better suited to battlecruisers and explorers.

On the subject of careers, I wish there were more. Careers are one of the most difficult things to make and they require a lot of imagination and writing skills. Sadly, sci-fi based careers are limited to Starfleet, Sith, Jedi, Galactic Navy, time traveller, and one or two I might have missed. If I had the skill and imagination, I would write a few myself.

The cool thing about sims is that there's no set objective, they live out their little electronic lives and try to fulfil their aspirations as best they can. So there are really no set rules and the proportions and parameters of their world are set by the individual player. This has been my objective since my first upload: to add elements of sci-fi to a lame-assed, tame-assed base game.

I tend to mix mythologies, too. There's just too much good content here to limit yourself to one theme/genre. Lately I've been doing so much creating I hardly have time to play, but before my other 'puter bit the dust I had neighborhoods full of Starfleet officers, klingons, Jedi, Sith, bounty hunters, space marines, etc.

I don't know if it's even possible to create custom BV themes, but it would be nice to be able to create little hideaway planets for your captains and first officers to take shore leave.

Page 1 of 2