Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

DSS - A more realistic romance system (and more)

by CtfG Posted 16th May 2008 at 8:19 AM - Updated 18th May 2008 at 11:54 AM by CtfG

125 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 116 Feedback Posts, 8 Thanks Posts
Thanks are currently OFF: Show Thanks Posts for this thread
Page 1 of 6
Not actually evil.
#2 Old 17th May 2008 at 3:03 AM
Thanks for this, romance is entirely too easy. Would you be at all willing, if its easy to do, to provide a version without the teen/adult romance? I don't want random adult sims, especially elders, hitting on my jailbait teen sims and vice versa, eeeew. Or just make it so that it can only happen if player initiated?

Please spay or neuter your pets. --- Cat Music Video! --- my meshes
Test Subject
#3 Old 17th May 2008 at 3:45 AM
This sounds like quite the project. Will part 1 work on its own? and am I correct in reading that it doesn't conflict with inteen (but part 2 does)?
The Anti-Social Extrovert
#4 Old 17th May 2008 at 4:01 AM
Wow...this is intense! I will definitely be trying this out! >^.^< Enjoy your break...from that read I know you are in need of one :D

...· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:-
-:¦:- (( °º ° ..° "(¨`v´¨)::" °..··..*.. ·· ..° *..·|<aTa?+|cA| |<@
°-:¦:- `v´* *-:¦:- °·..* * °..·· ..*.. ·· ..° * -:¦:- * °.. ·· ..*.. ·· .:.° * -:¦:-
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 17th May 2008 at 5:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CatOfEvilGenius
Thanks for this, romance is entirely too easy. Would you be at all willing, if its easy to do, to provide a version without the teen/adult romance? I don't want random adult sims, especially elders, hitting on my jailbait teen sims and vice versa, eeeew. Or just make it so that it can only happen if player initiated?

Two separate versions were my initial idea, especially since I included elders in this romance system. But when I found out that both the age checks amd the relation checks for flirting & kissing use almost always the same functions, I did it all in one. But it will be splitted later on, yes. I tried everything to set DSS up as a "modular" system, and as soon as part 1 and 2 are working, the teen-adult relation will be transferred to its own module, leaving the choice to include it in the game to the players.

Quote: Originally posted by moonracer1313
This sounds like quite the project. Will part 1 work on its own? and am I correct in reading that it doesn't conflict with inteen (but part 2 does)?

The way DSS is set up right now, the package includes both part 1 and 2, and both parts conflict with InTeen. For instance: two sims are sitting on a sofa and want to cuddle. First, the original TS2 checks if the relations are high enough to do this, and if yes, DSS checks in addition, if the attraction is high enough to do this. These checkings will conflict with InTeen, since (as described in the reply to CatOfEvilGenius above) both InTeen and DSS use the same original functions, but modify them in different ways. It was this conflict that made me to program the teen pregnancy; otherwise I would have saved me this work But I couldn't offer teen woohoo without teen pregnancy. That wouldn't have matched the idea behind DSS.

Let Teens Live Alone With TeenStar PC
Let Teens Adopt A Baby/Toddler/Child
>>> Check my profile page for further hacks <<<
Not actually evil.
#6 Old 17th May 2008 at 6:27 AM
Thanks for answering my question, I await the modular version. No rush though, we're all busy and I wouldn't want this to become a chore for you rather than fun.

Please spay or neuter your pets. --- Cat Music Video! --- my meshes
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 17th May 2008 at 6:37 AM Last edited by SIMale : 17th May 2008 at 6:51 AM.
This is a great addition to my game.

I like the idea of babies being able to die, not that I'm morbid (I like realism), but will they become ghosts? Will part 3 have the option to not allow any ghosts. I play some hoods ultra realistic and have to delete ghosts manually. I also have a question of aliens, vampires, zombies, werewolves, plantsims and bigfoots, will they too be able to in some way be blocked from appearing with this?

SIMale the Simlish linguist. Simlish made easy: Version 1 & 2 and Version 3 & Comic (Now only available at IS)
Field Researcher
#8 Old 17th May 2008 at 7:33 AM
Tired, so I'm not sure how much sense I will make. I would be interested in some of these fuctions, but I share the game with my sister who may not. Is there a way to isolate them to specific neighborhoods?
Also, we generally pick spouses based on our own weird criteria rather than actual chemistry, but I like the idea of making things harder for the romance sims (though we only have a few) and protecting the family sims (there have been a couple of cases where sims "accidentally" flirted due to a player not knowing what she was doing.
The idea of stuff breaking and food in the fridge going bad is interesting. I don't much care for the baby dying part, but I am curious, if a baby dies does the social worker come for the rest of the kids?
The idea of teens marrying is interesting to me along with all that goes with it, though I do agree with CatOfEvilGenius that I would rather such a function be user directed, so as such things don't happen on accident. (Yes, I know that's that exactly what CatOfEvilGenuis said).
I will check back in, because I am interested, just not sure how much I am interested in yet.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 17th May 2008 at 9:41 AM
Is it compatible with Pescado hacks from MATY, like harderjobs, and romancemod?
Because they do almost exactly what you have described, like waiting for job opening, one Mayor in town, harder relationtips and so.
I really liked breaking and spoiling in part 3, I would love to test it separately.
Test Subject
#10 Old 17th May 2008 at 4:08 PM
It's super interesting! I really love the real way!
Field Researcher
#11 Old 17th May 2008 at 7:34 PM
This sounds really good and more realistic because I have always a hated how Sims can fall in love so quick,Thank you so much for sharing.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 17th May 2008 at 8:31 PM
This sounds like a massive project and I think it's fantastic, with one exception.

Teens not having a pregnant belly IS NOT realistic at all. This is the ONLY thing I can find so far that I don't like about your project. If it's just not possible to code in I understand, but it just isn't realistic.

I quite like the breaking of items in your part 3 & look forward to seeing that. It always bothered me that the dishwasher or trash compactor could break but the refrigerator & stove NEVER do. And I never understood why EAxis gave us lightening with thunderstorms but the power never goes out. It would be so much more real if that happened once in a while.

My not liking the pregnant teen, "no preggie belly" part is in no way to be taken as a put down about you or your work. It's meant to be constructive criticism and that's all.

Oh, what does "DSS" stand for?

Not having a sig IS my sig. Oh wait, this is a sig, isn't it? Nevermind...
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 18th May 2008 at 4:57 AM
This sounds really great! As soon as an InTeen compatible version comes out I'll be all over it
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 18th May 2008 at 5:10 AM
@CatOfEvilGenius: Though I didn't want to program on the weekend, I did a test yesterday and put in a configuration switch which lets you determine if you want teen-teen-woohoo, teen-adult relations and teen-elder relations. Each can be set individually, and with the few interactions I re-wrote, it seemed to work. Would that do for you?

@SIMale: I'm not sure about ghosts yet, but I'll most probably will not let babies, toddlers and children become ghosts. Would be too much for the parents About the other "special" NPCs: Some of them will appear more often, and I don't intend to block them or prevent them from appearing.

@Faerieimp: Since this is a global mod, it is not possible to restrict it to a certain neighborhood. But following CatOfEvilGenius' suggestion, I might put in a major switch that turns DSS on or off. Let me think about that, okay?

@BlackCat007: From last christmas on to April, I worked my way through CtfG's hacks and updated them. From February on, I started to design DSS. So I have not the faintest idea what other hacks are out there, except from what I read here and there. Since the majority of hacks I saw just make things easier, I don't have any hack in the game and cannot confirm whether DSS conflicts with a specific hack (except for InTeenimater, since CtfG asked me to keep his hacks InTeen-compatible). But I would almost bet that DSS conflicts with everything that modifies jobs, school, visitors, relations, sickness, death, crafting, owned shops etc., because DSS touches (or will touch) all of these functions. The published Alpha version already contains some job modifications: on promotions, a sims will get the new salary plus a 10% bonus, but no longer the new salary x3, and on quitting the job, any PTO will be paid out. To be on the safe side, I would say: Yes, DSS conflicts with everything else. That's why I planned it as a whole package of functions, not just one hack for one certain situation.

@Mimi52861: Teens not having the belly disturbs me a bit too, but this is exactly the part which brings me to stealing codes from others. Jase's Inteenimater is the only hack that offers this option (AFAIK), and I faintly remember to have read that he fought a hard battle to get it done. I don't want to copy his idea, not to speak of the coding itself, so I have to live with this. But I thought of making the teen fat on the last day of pregnancy. "DSS" stands for "Dark Side of Sims 2", which will show up later in part 3, when all the mean and sloppy sims populate a community lot and meet those nice and neat sims. The "constructive criticism" finally: I understood your post in exactly that way

@JeffreyC: There seems to be some misunderstanding. DSS will never be InTeen-compatible. As I wrote in the Download Details: "Though I programmed in a different way, I (naturally) had to modify the same resources that InTeenimater uses, and to separate DSS from InTeen got finally impossible." Or, in other words: DSS and InTeen will conflict most heavily.

Field Researcher
#15 Old 18th May 2008 at 5:10 AM
This sounds very interesting. I won't download just yet, as I already have a teen pregnancy mod (no it's not the Inteen), but look forward to the separate versions. I too hate that sims fall in love too easily, and despite having lost a baby myself, the babies being able to die definitely adds that extra touch of realism and unpredictability to the game. In fact I have an idea; make infant death and miscarriage come under the same module. There are loads of people out there who want risky pregnancy in the game, but not all the other features that come with the inteen - which in itself is so big it can cause all manner of problems. To have the choice of a separate version would be awesome

Ooh, one big question though. How nicely (or not) would it play with ACR?

Please don't PM/IM me with requests
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#16 Old 18th May 2008 at 5:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sadie79
(...) Ooh, one big question though. How nicely (or not) would it play with ACR?

Sorry, but what is ACR? Never heard of that, as I have to admit.

Instructor
#17 Old 18th May 2008 at 6:13 AM
ACR - http://www.simbology.com/smf/index.php/topic,19.0.html

The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to heterosexuals. That doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals. It's just that they need more supervision. - L. Lavner
Field Researcher
#18 Old 18th May 2008 at 7:23 AM
Interesting. Yeah, I enjoy ACR as well- I like not having to specifically prompt my coupled/ married Sims to be intimate. I like the idea behind Part 1, not so much Part 2, so I'll test as soon as they're separate as well.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#19 Old 18th May 2008 at 12:06 PM
I re-wrote the "Download Details" because I noticed terribly bad formulated phrases on my side which lead to misunderstandings about DSS. In short: There are no separate "modules", just three separate components in one single package, of which two are almost complete and wait for "mass testing". The only "modules" are the separate AddOn's for the several Expansion Packs.

My apologies for that and for all resulting confusions.

As for ACR: From what I read, DSS will conflict with ACR. Please re-read the "Download Details" to get a better idea of the whole package. I hope I expressed the basic idea behind DSS better this time: three interacting components, of which one component controls the romantic interactions via attraction value, the second component is responsible for teen romance interactions among teens and to adults and elders, and the third component will add the "Dark Side" to the game. As I hopefully explained better this time, these components cannot be separated due to the many possible combinations and the resulting amount of duplicate resources.

Lab Assistant
#20 Old 18th May 2008 at 1:38 PM Last edited by SIMale : 18th May 2008 at 1:45 PM.
Is it possible not to block these other creatures, but to have it as an option for the player to block them through a menu of different settings?

SIMale the Simlish linguist. Simlish made easy: Version 1 & 2 and Version 3 & Comic (Now only available at IS)
Field Researcher
#21 Old 18th May 2008 at 2:23 PM Last edited by Mimi52861 : 18th May 2008 at 2:54 PM.
Thank you Vironin for responding to my post, and for re-writing the detailed description of this project. It is easier to understand now. I can only imagine the work you've put into this and the work you have yet to be done. I commend you for taking on such a challenge!

The entire thing interests me, but I'm most interested in the part 3, "Dark Side". While romance & relationships can always use tweaking for more realism, I really like your ideas on the darker, harder issues you've described.

As you've informed us of the many different kinds of hacks/mods that this project will conflict with, I'm holding off a bit in downloading & trying this out in my game. I have many such mods already & will have to weed through them & pull out/disable any that will conflict with this before I try it out. I think I'll wait until you have all 3 parts done & included, but I am going to try it out! Promise! :D

Not having a sig IS my sig. Oh wait, this is a sig, isn't it? Nevermind...
Test Subject
#22 Old 18th May 2008 at 4:21 PM
So far, everything is fine for me, and I have just one complaint:

Instead of making the energy bar continually decrease, can you make it so the children just stay in bed until dawn?

Other then that small annoyance, I'm loving it! ^o^ I started this with a whole new Gen. so far I'm midway through childhood and I will keep you updated if anything goes wrong.
Test Subject
#23 Old 19th May 2008 at 2:24 AM
So I've downloaded your alpha test version and started playin with it a bit last night. Overall I like it but I have had a couple of problems and I'll try to explain as thoroughly as possible my exact situation. I started a new family in a new neighborhood with a husband and wife (made spouses before moving in) and a cat. I have all of the expansion packs. I have gotten the already spouse couple to 100/100 relationship-wise and they have one lightning bolt of chemistry and are both family aspirations. Now, the first problem is that I have no option of trying for baby in the bed though we've been doing a lot of woohooing. Now my question here is is there supposed to be an option, try for baby or do the sims just get pregnant sometimes when woohooing the regular way (more realistic)? Another problem is when I get into a car I have the option of trying for baby, however when they finish instead of staying in the car they dissappear and reappear out in the middle of the street in front of the house. I guess this would just be a glitch report more than a question. and the last one is similar, in the hot tub it seems that anytime I try to get them to interact they spawn immediately back outside the hot tub. just a few things, thanks in advance for the response, and it's an amazing program and a great idea behind it.
Test Subject
#24 Old 19th May 2008 at 4:52 PM
This seems like a great idea, and have decided to help you in your testing, but before I even got to start playing, I realised something and I'm not sure if this is to do with DSS or if it's to do with Content Manager. But I downloaded DSS and placed it in my downloads folder, I then attempted to go to Content Manager to disable all my Hacks (i.s INTeen), but Content Manager kept saying error, I had to take DSS out of my downloads, for Content Manager to work.

As I say I'm not sure if that's a DSS problem or it just prooves what you've highlighted in you thread saying DSS is not compatable with other hacks.

Thanks
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#25 Old 20th May 2008 at 6:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TrojanManWnkr
(...) I have all of the expansion packs. I have gotten the already spouse couple to 100/100 relationship-wise and they have one lightning bolt of chemistry and are both family aspirations. Now, the first problem is that I have no option of trying for baby in the bed though we've been doing a lot of woohooing. Now my question here is is there supposed to be an option, try for baby or do the sims just get pregnant sometimes when woohooing the regular way (more realistic)? Another problem is when I get into a car I have the option of trying for baby, however when they finish instead of staying in the car they dissappear and reappear out in the middle of the street in front of the house. (...) and the last one is similar, in the hot tub (...)

The 100/100 relationship doesn't matter for DSS. Important is the attraction value which you can find out with DSS-Spy. Click on the other sim, select "DSS-Spy.../Show Data for <sim-name>" and look at the displayed attraction value. To "Try for Baby", this value must be of at least 105, while for "Woohoo", 90 is sufficient. The car and the hot tub though are bugs, yes, and I'll take care of that.

Quote: Originally posted by nazzyjayne
(...) I then attempted to go to Content Manager to disable all my Hacks (i.s INTeen), but Content Manager kept saying error, I had to take DSS out of my downloads, for Content Manager to work. (...)

What exactly was the error message? And which other hacks were reporting conflicts with DSS?

Quote: Originally posted by Sesshroku
(...) Instead of making the energy bar continually decrease, can you make it so the children just stay in bed until dawn? (...)

One of my colleagues (a woman in her mid-fifties) is a Sims2-addict, and she "uses" all the sims kids to clean up the house, to tend the garden, and to paint for money. The poor little ones have to work day and night. When she told me about this, I immediately thought of a way to prevent this, and I found only this solution: to force the kids to sleep. Other than that, I could just disable them for selection, but this lead to other problems. I'll think about it again, though.

Quote: Originally posted by Mimi52861
(...) As you've informed us of the many different kinds of hacks/mods that this project will conflict with, I'm holding off a bit in downloading & trying this out in my game. I have many such mods already (...)

I surfed the net a lot yesterday, especially MATY and TwoJeff's new site, to check what kind of hacks already exist. What I found made me really think about this whole project, since it's a tremendous amount. This "discovery" pushed away my enthusiasm and made me wonder if I shall keep up working on DSS. Because, as explained, DSS modifies nearly everything which already exists as a hack. I neither want to compete with other modders, nor do I want to "throw them out", literally spoken. Yesterday evening, I started SimPE, checked some of these other hacks and found that I cannot make DSS compatible to other hacks. There is simply no way. Even if I would skip the already written components of modified relation and teen woohoo, the component of DSS would still have to modify a lot which other modders have already used and altered. Right now, I don't know what to do. I'll think about that, too.

Page 1 of 6