Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

No free food with refrigerator *UPDATED to v1.1*

by dickhurt Posted 11th Jun 2008 at 3:20 AM - Updated 13th Oct 2008 at 6:23 PM by dickhurt : update version

17 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 15 Feedback Posts, 1 Thanks Posts
Thanks are currently OFF: Show Thanks Posts for this thread
Not actually evil.
#2 Old 16th Jun 2008 at 10:06 PM
Thanks, I've been waiting for this mod. Anything that makes the game less ridiculously easy is great!

Please spay or neuter your pets. --- Cat Music Video! --- my meshes
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 23rd Jun 2008 at 2:43 AM
i love you. I was just thinking that it would be wonderful if someone would make this, then I found out you already have! *big hug*
Test Subject
#4 Old 25th Jun 2008 at 11:24 PM
Thanks for this mod, it's been great.
One thing I noticed, is that fish don't seem to stock it at all, only crops + ordering over the phone + computer. Normal? Or am I just crazy?
Test Subject
#5 Old 27th Jun 2008 at 3:08 PM
I love you! Bout time my Sims had to work for things instead of getting free food.
Test Subject
#6 Old 27th Jun 2008 at 8:16 PM
there's one little issue i found; this hack kills leftovers. i kinda need that for my ever-broke/preggie sims
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 19th Jul 2008 at 7:53 PM
I just now tested the hack with only the base game and Seasons. Leftovers worked perfect. Both storing them and getting them back out. It worked for fridges already on the lot before the hack was installed. It also worked for the brand new fridges I bought which come with 0 food points thanks to the hack. I also tried it with all expansions and stuff packs installed up to FT + K&B. It worked find on that too.

So I can only guess it is a problem with your game, that one lot, or another hack you downloaded is causing the issue.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 30th Jul 2008 at 4:20 AM
What exactly is the problem with stocking fish? Does the STOCK option not show up on the refrigerator? Does the Sim attempt to stock the fish but nothing happens? Because I just tried stocking a fish and it worked fine. I was even able to cook fish dishes when no fish were in my Sim's inventory. So it was definitely taking the fish from the frig.

Can you stock fish after you remove my hack? Do you need to buy a new fridge after removing the hack to get the stock option back?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 31st Jul 2008 at 5:54 AM
I am just glad that the hack is not the problem.

What you described is exactly what happens without a hack. Stocking fish never gave any food points. All they did was allow you to cook fish dishes. It would be neat to do a hack where stocking fish will increase the food points too. I didn't know that stocking veggies increase the food points though.

But the main reason for the hack was for the sake of realism, so that a fridge doesn't come with any food to start with, just like in real life. You still need buy groceries though.
Test Subject
#10 Old 6th Sep 2008 at 1:34 AM
I like it but, you have to think of logic, when you get stuff from the buy catalog, the sims technically buy it. Therefore, they will buy food to stock it. But, I like making the game more real. I just wish more of the expansion packs worked with Vista.

Check out Sims 3 Coming out 2009. Now, your Sims can walk outside their house and walk right down the street. No more load screens. All Sims will look and act differently. Plus, all expansion packs will be added to the game (a rumor). http://www.thesims3.com Check it out!
Mad Poster
#11 Old 21st Sep 2008 at 2:42 AM
I am very interested in this hack. I think it would add a lot of realisim to the game and help make it harder when I wanted it harder. If I don't want to use it for a given family, I can just move it out of the DL folder and then move it back when I do want it, right?

One question, does anyone know if npcs such as the Nanny and Butler will be able to use the fridge if all that's in it is fish?

And you can make Lobster Thermador out of tomatos? I never knew that...
Mad Poster
#12 Old 21st Sep 2008 at 3:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Cubhicbu
I like it but, you have to think of logic, when you get stuff from the buy catalog, the sims technically buy it. Therefore, they will buy food to stock it.

If you think of the logic, when you buy a fridge in real life, it costs a heck of a lot of money and comes EMPTY. You then have to spend *more* money to stock it with food. This just makes the game more like real life. Some people like that, because it is so very easy to get money in the game (which is not like real life at all! )
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 21st Sep 2008 at 10:37 PM
Updated to v1.1, so get it while it's hot!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 21st Sep 2008 at 10:48 PM
hi Rosawyn,

Yes you can remove the file from Downloads temporarily to play families where you don't want the hack to take effect. But it will not auto re-stock the old fridges you already bought while the hack was installed though, if that is what you're asking. You still need to buy groceries to stock any old fridges.

But I think you need to buy food (stock the fridge with groceries) to be able to cook anything, including fish. So the NPC will probably not be able to make meals for the family if the fridge has 0 food points in it, even it is overflowing with fish. That happens even without the hack.

The hack isn't really meant to allow you to feed your family by just harvesting crops and catching fishes in Seasons. Cooking any meal still requires some store groceries.

The hack is not a way to get rid of having to buy groceries. It just makes a new fridge empty when you first buy it, for the sake of realism.

Hope I understood your question. If not, I'm sure you will write back.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 26th Sep 2008 at 12:38 AM
Ah, ok. Thanks for replying. I guess I was just confused by some of the other posts in this thread. Downloading now. ^_^
Test Subject
#16 Old 13th Jan 2009 at 11:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Cubhicbu
I like it but, you have to think of logic, when you get stuff from the buy catalog, the sims technically buy it. Therefore, they will buy food to stock it. But, I like making the game more real. I just wish more of the expansion packs worked with Vista.

Check out Sims 3 Coming out 2009. Now, your Sims can walk outside their house and walk right down the street. No more load screens. All Sims will look and act differently. Plus, all expansion packs will be added to the game (a rumor). http://www.thesims3.com Check it out!

I feel the same way, this is a great mod though. I think making sims pay for taxis seem more real, because in the real world we have to pay for taxis. We
make a credit card for sims. I wonder if there is already one made? If there isn't, i will attempt to make one! Everyone would love me! lol.
Forum Resident
#17 Old 29th Jun 2009 at 3:56 AM
Thanks so much. Anything to make my Sims lives a little harder is very much welcome. Thank you.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#18 Old 5th Mar 2016 at 7:35 AM
thank you