Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

*Working* Magazine Rack [UPD 29 jan 2009]

by Numenor Posted 25th Jun 2008 at 11:47 PM - Updated 14th Mar 2009 at 8:49 PM by Numenor : Restored missing attachment

257 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 245 Feedback Posts, 11 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 11
Test Subject
#2 Old 26th Jun 2008 at 12:59 AM
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I wanted someone to make a magazine rack because I had way too many unread magazines. This is very helpful and will make my home look cleaner! Thanks, Numenor!
Field Researcher
#3 Old 26th Jun 2008 at 1:00 AM
oh my gosh! this is so awesome. and the 'view centerfold' thing is HILARIOUS. i love this. thank you so much!
Test Subject
#4 Old 26th Jun 2008 at 1:03 AM
A really nice idea and good job with the mesh, but I think a larger version of the vertical rack would look better. And dont you think something like homework assignments could be put in the bin as well?
Test Subject
#5 Old 26th Jun 2008 at 1:06 AM
Absolutely brilliant, as usual. I've been needing this for so long!
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 26th Jun 2008 at 1:08 AM
Wow!! This is amazing- I hate having magazines strewn around my homes!
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 26th Jun 2008 at 1:08 AM
This is great, Numenor -- thanks so much. Even in a small household, if two people each have three interests, the magazine clutter becomes out of control quite quickly!

I've made some mods for The Sims 1 -- yes, The Sims ONE :-) -- which you can find at http://corylea.com/Sims1ModsByCorylea.html
Field Researcher
#8 Old 26th Jun 2008 at 1:10 AM
Oh great! Thank you for a solution to the 13824503465 magazines on my sims' front lawns.

I basically just like to play uglacies.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 26th Jun 2008 at 1:11 AM
Wow! This is amazing! Thank you!

Click HERE and you'll get a surprise!
Field Researcher
#10 Old 26th Jun 2008 at 1:17 AM
Oh this is great! I can actually subscribe to the hobby magazines now! I was getting so sick of them laying around everywhere, Thanks!
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#11 Old 26th Jun 2008 at 1:19 AM
Info added on the first post:

Note: Multiple racks - You can put as many racks as you want in your house, but they work as in real life: if you store a magazine into one rack, don't expect to find it in all the other racks!
On the other hand, the standard bookcase functions (reading books, studying books, custom novels) work like the Maxis bookcases: all the books are shared between all the bookcases (including the rack).

Note: Pie Menu - Most of the pie menu entries have been modified to make them consistent with the idea of "magazine" (e.g. Study/Parenting has become Browse Monthly Review/"Children: User Manual" ); but since I only speak English and Italian, the new menu entries will apply only to these two languages; all the other languages will read the usual text.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your positive comments!

EpicCheese - I thought of this, but "putting away" a homework actually means deleting it from the game; for the UNI assignments owned by non-playable sims it's OK, but deleting Uni/school homeworks owned by family members wouldn't be a good idea It's true that I could modify the code, so to let sims pick back the homeworks from the rack, but I think it's somewhat dangerous to hide "real" homework into the rack (and anyway, many interactions like "ask for help with homework" require the homework to be visible in game).

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Test Subject
#12 Old 26th Jun 2008 at 1:26 AM
Cool! Cool! Cool! All i have to say.One more Cool!
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 26th Jun 2008 at 1:36 AM
Brillant! Thank you so much!
Test Subject
#14 Old 26th Jun 2008 at 1:48 AM
I downloaded it and when they are doing an action with the rack and i click on the rack when they are doing the first action and i click on the rack it resets my sims

Why is that happening?
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 26th Jun 2008 at 1:50 AM
Wonderful, I've been using the original version for years and wishing for an update. Thank You!
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#16 Old 26th Jun 2008 at 2:24 AM Last edited by Numenor : 26th Jun 2008 at 3:01 AM.
Big_de123 - Can you please give more details? You sent a sim to do an action on the rack (which action? Is the sim still walking, or has he already started reading?); then, while the same sim is selected (or another sim?), you click again on the rack, and the sim jumps. Correct?
If it's possible, an error log would hel a lot.

Can you tell me also which EP/SP do you have? Your profile says "Games Purchased: Original, University, Nightlife, Open for Business ".

OK, FIXED. Thanks big_de123 for reporting.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#17 Old 26th Jun 2008 at 2:24 AM
*brilliant* I always know I'm going to see something amazing when I check your posts, and I was not disappointed. Thank you for helping with the clutter problem.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
transmogrified
retired moderator
#18 Old 26th Jun 2008 at 2:22 AM
My Sims no longer subscribed to hobby magazines because of the clutter. Thank you!
Field Researcher
#19 Old 26th Jun 2008 at 2:25 AM
Fantastic! Now I might actually subscribe to magazines! Thank you!
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 26th Jun 2008 at 2:27 AM Last edited by Evil Plumbob : 26th Jun 2008 at 2:28 AM. Reason: wanted to add something....
i love it! although i won;t be downloading it as my sims are usually neat freaks.
Also, i think it's hilarious that Boblishman is on one of the magazines in the rack (see "object weekly" in picture)

May good fortune rule over you,
peace lie in your heart,
and the stars watch over you
Test Subject
#21 Old 26th Jun 2008 at 2:51 AM
Thank you soooo much... I didnt even realize I NEEDED this until I saw it here. I just kept saying NO I dont want any magazines coz I hated them lying about.

My sims love you for it! (least the neat ones do)
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#22 Old 26th Jun 2008 at 3:00 AM
Default Quick BUGFIX!
*** PLEASE REDOWNLOAD ***
(fixed a "jump bug" affecting games without FT)

After few hours since the first upload, the bug report by big_de123 allowed me to track a bug that affected the games without FT.
Please redownload the rack if you don't have FreeTime, or if you plan to use the racks in a AGS/BGS mini-game.

The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#23 Old 26th Jun 2008 at 3:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Evil Plumbob
Also, i think it's hilarious that Boblishman is on one of the magazines in the rack (see "object weekly" in picture)

I thought it was a nice thing to leave the original texture created by Boblishman, as a tribute to this great modder (that unfortunately has got into new interests )

Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
Scholar
#25 Old 26th Jun 2008 at 3:11 AM
Great!! Thanks!!
Page 1 of 11