Replies: 15 (Who?), Viewed: 2468 times.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Jan 2009 at 9:03 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Application has crashed!!!
Application has crashed!!!

Steps I have Taken:

1. Removed Downloads folder
2. Removed empty N'hoods and restored default N'hood files
3. Removed *sims 2* folder from documents
4. Removed all neighborhoods.

5. Removed and redid just about everything

6. Did everything in the MTS2 FAQ troubleshooting guide

The problem is still persistant. I have not yet uninstalled and reinstalled the game though. I don't know what happened. I didn't add or do anything different or special to my game but it seems the problem is persistant. On first install everything works fine but then after a few weeks the problems emerges. It always happens without fail when I create a new sim and move them into the trailer park and rent the biggest trailer there. Everything on my computer is updated...including video card driver...directx...

I did happen to install quicktime yesterday...would that make a difference?
Advertisement
Stupid people are stupid
#2 Old 9th Jan 2009 at 9:09 PM
Default MTS2 Staff Reply
In order to better solve your problem, please go through the following as listed below:
  • General - Post System Specs
    We need more information before we can help with your issue. Please post your system specs - instructions on finding them are here: Game Help:System Specswiki

On occasion you might be asked to do a long FAQ - please make sure you do all the steps and don't just skip over them. You'll often find that these long FAQs have all the details you need. If nothing in the above FAQs fixes your problem you may post again detailing exactly which you have done and which steps failed.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Jan 2009 at 9:32 PM
Here is my System specs. *hopefully is has attached*

I also uninstalled quicktime but problem still persist...
Download - please read all instructions before downloading any files!
File Type: zip Report.zip (5.8 KB, 3 downloads) - View custom content
Description: System specs
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#4 Old 9th Jan 2009 at 10:22 PM
Please update your profile to tell us which EPs you have. Does it happen only with that one lot?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
shiny!
retired moderator
#5 Old 10th Jan 2009 at 12:12 AM Last edited by callistra : 10th Jan 2009 at 2:10 AM.
Your GPU has known problems with TS2. There may not be a fix besides replacing the graphics card, as I have yet to find one once this sort of thing happens with people who are running that card.

Are you sure your graphics drivers are up to date, via Nvidia.com? What about chipset?

ETA: Do you have MS Live OneCare installed?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 10th Jan 2009 at 2:21 AM Last edited by summerbear5 : 10th Jan 2009 at 4:04 AM.
no I don't have MS Live OneCare and for the poster above just to let you know I have ALL EPs and SPs

EDIT: I haven't tested it on other lots because I'm totally starting fresh each time I try to troubleshoot the problem. *therefore I don't think it's corrupt if I'm starting fresh* Starting fresh meaning all neighborhoods are deleted and I make a new custom hood. The one lot that I've been testing the bug on is the trailer park that came with AL. It's the one place where the bug happens almost instantly...

I just updated the EADM *just in case* because I did a digital download of AL, and a few other expansions back when. I also updated flash player...and double checked to make sure I had newest video driver. Going to test again and will post back...

EDIT 2: Crash and burn!

EDIT 3: I've rollbacks to factory driver on my video card because the sims was working just fine 2 weeks ago and I have no idea what changed in that time to make it suddenly start doing this. Anyways after rolling back to factory driver still same problem
Be like the 22nd elephant with heated value in space- Bark!
retired moderator
#7 Old 10th Jan 2009 at 4:12 PM
Does it make any difference if you lower the ingame graphics- for example, turn off shaders and reflections?

I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
-RUSH- -RADIO- -RADIO- -ARCHIVES-
Simpeople and Me Archive- -11Dots Archive- My Sims World Archive
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 10th Jan 2009 at 11:06 PM
Okies this is what I have noticed. If I take the swings out of the maxis made trailer park and add the club house thing...then move a sim in the game crashes...if I leave the swings and move a sim in...the game is fine...

I changed the lot to residential to change the swings and back to apartment base but STILL it's causing the crash...

I took swings out of another maxis apartment and no crash there!
retired moderator
#9 Old 11th Jan 2009 at 1:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsample
Does it make any difference if you lower the ingame graphics- for example, turn off shaders and reflections?

Can you answer this one please?

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 11th Jan 2009 at 4:24 AM
no it doesn't...

And I didn't answer that question because the main reason why I am crashing is because I'm editing an apartment and for some reason the game doesn't like it.
#11 Old 11th Jan 2009 at 4:30 AM
Ah, that may be part of the problem. Are you trying to edit an occupied apartment, or an unoccupied apartment? Also, have you rezoned the apartment to an ordinary residential lot before editing it? Not having Apartment Life myself, I`m not certain, but I understand that you cannot edit an occupied apartment, and that you need to rezone it to residential first, and back to apartmentbase after. Does this help any?

Edit: I went back and re-read the thread, and I see that you seem to be doing this already. Can you confirm this, please?

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
retired moderator
#12 Old 11th Jan 2009 at 3:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerbear5
no it doesn't...

And I didn't answer that question because the main reason why I am crashing is because I'm editing an apartment and for some reason the game doesn't like it.

If you are playing on a clean install and with no CC and a clean Sims 2 folder then it doesn't seem likely that the game is the problem here, especially as you indicated earlier that other lots were affected. As Callistra has already pointed out that your card is known to be problematic with the game, I am trying to find out what we can do to prevent it from happening. Adding more items makes the model complexity on the lot increase, and the items have reflectivity and animations associated with them. So I would naturally try to reduce this so that the load on the card reduces, to see if this will help. I would also advise to turn off all background tasks such as the quicktime helper to ensure that your PC can use maximum resources on the game. It may also be a good idea to create a new user account on your PC to test if the game works better there. You say that you turned off shaders- what method did you use to do this, and what graphics settings did you try in game?

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 11th Jan 2009 at 9:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralOperationsDirector
Ah, that may be part of the problem. Are you trying to edit an occupied apartment, or an unoccupied apartment? Also, have you rezoned the apartment to an ordinary residential lot before editing it? Not having Apartment Life myself, I`m not certain, but I understand that you cannot edit an occupied apartment, and that you need to rezone it to residential first, and back to apartmentbase after. Does this help any?

Edit: I went back and re-read the thread, and I see that you seem to be doing this already. Can you confirm this, please?

Yes I confirm that is what I have been doing. I simply tried to edit an unoccupied apartment firt by turning it to residential and then turning it back to apartmentbase.

Also I've edited another apartment this same way and there way no problem. It's only with the Maxis Made Trailer Park.
retired moderator
#14 Old 11th Jan 2009 at 10:36 PM
Ahh, okay- I read this:
Quote:
The one lot that I've been testing the bug on is the trailer park that came with AL. It's the one place where the bug happens almost instantly...

And I thought it meant you had the problem on other lots. If it is just one lot then I would assume it's a bad lot. Perhaps the file on your hard disc is glitched? You could try copying the AL game files from your DVD again.

#15 Old 11th Jan 2009 at 10:56 PM
You say that the crash occurs when you attempt to move a freshly-created CAS Sim into the largest trailer in that trailer park? Not before, and not after?

What happens if you move a Sim into that trailer **from another lot** instead of a freshly-created CAS Sim? Does it still crash? Fresh-from-CAS Sims are known to have different issues than previously-played Sims. Also, if you have time, could you try to move a born-in-game Sim into that trailer? If either of these works, could you then try a fresh CAS Sim on the same trailer, after moving out the one that works? Sometimes previously-played LOTS have different issues than unplayed lots, too. Also, sometimes Maxis-made lots and Maxis-made Sims have issues that home-made lots and home-made Sims don`t. It doesn`t hurt to rule things out.

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 12th Jan 2009 at 5:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralOperationsDirector
You say that the crash occurs when you attempt to move a freshly-created CAS Sim into the largest trailer in that trailer park? Not before, and not after?

What happens if you move a Sim into that trailer **from another lot** instead of a freshly-created CAS Sim? Does it still crash? Fresh-from-CAS Sims are known to have different issues than previously-played Sims. Also, if you have time, could you try to move a born-in-game Sim into that trailer? If either of these works, could you then try a fresh CAS Sim on the same trailer, after moving out the one that works? Sometimes previously-played LOTS have different issues than unplayed lots, too. Also, sometimes Maxis-made lots and Maxis-made Sims have issues that home-made lots and home-made Sims don`t. It doesn`t hurt to rule things out.

To SimSample: I've totally reinstalled the game with still the same effect...

To GeneralOperationsDirector: It's any sim. The problem is when I make changes to the Trailer prior to moving *ANY* sim in and no matter what trailer I pick...

Can anyone with AL test this on your computer? These are the steps to reproduce the bug I am experiencing

1. Create a custom hood
2. Take the maxis made trailer park out of the house bin and set it in the neighborhood
3. Enter the lot and change it to residential...save exit the lot to neighborhood
4. Re-enter lot take out both swings and add the club house fort thing...change lot back to apartmentbase save exit to neighborhood
5. move sim onto the lot (in my case it's been a single female from CAS)
6. Rent a trailer...and after a few seconds it crashes

The only way the lot 'doesnt' crash is if I make no changes to the tailer park and I move a CAS sim in...