Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
#51 Old 17th Aug 2006 at 3:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by shotgun_mary
That was funny, but this is a serious problem. Everywhere I go it seems I'm finding content that belongs to people I KNOW don't want their stuff posted elsewhere without credit *who actually does?* I'm not sure what to do when I see other people's creations being used. Thankfully I've not run across anyone using my content improperly but I'm sure its out there. Maybe we should form a neighborhood watch of sorts.

That's a good idea. I don't see how it would work though. What I have noticed is a lot of creators say no paysites or don't put this anywhere else, but then they give it to another site as a special file. It is impossible to know if they know about it already. I made the mistake of telling someone their stuff was stolen and it wasn't. Now I feel like a tattletale moron. lol
One of my favorite sites closed because their stuff was on the exchange, and I just didn't want to see something like that happen.
Advertisement
#52 Old 18th Aug 2006 at 8:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sylla
Thanks for the laugh Numenor, made me spit my coffee every where when I read that line!

Really, some people are just fools, why I am surprised by this I have no idea...

Wow, that's impressive. I only broke my camera.

Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
Muhahahaha!!! As you all can see, I'm a fair person: I'm NOT posting this on MTS2!

You told him! Go Numenor!
#53 Old 18th Aug 2006 at 8:45 PM
NUmenor, thanks for the laugh :laugh: He's the big baby for posting your stuff :eviltongu
Inventor
#54 Old 18th Aug 2006 at 11:32 PM
Good stuff Numenor :D

By the way, don't you just love this:
Quote:
This sims site and ALL it's contents are © Copyright 2006 Pandora sims. All rights reserved. No content from this site is to be used without written permission from Pandora Sims
No ideas, objects, skins, modded items or original work may be rented, resold or given.

Please call me Laura
"The gene pool needs more chlorine."
My Site
#55 Old 18th Aug 2006 at 11:42 PM
a little hypocrtical eh? :werd:
#56 Old 19th Aug 2006 at 1:29 AM
You handled this brilliantly. Now I'm imagining Bladex's reaction... :D
#57 Old 19th Aug 2006 at 2:02 AM
You took this a lot better than most creators I'm aware of. Some of them would immediately throw a tantrum, cussin' up a storm and threaten the person who redistributed custom content with their name on it. Doesn't make the rightful creator look any better than the person stupid enough to slap their name on someone else's work and repost it publicly. So yeah, I applaud you for that. =)
#58 Old 19th Aug 2006 at 8:42 AM
Default about 2 cents
I would definitely take the guy out by complaining to his host. He is an idiot. But I would want to have a little bit of fun with him first. He did open himself up for it after all.

All kidding aside, if you create "digital art," including textures/meshes/alphas - whatever, you can buy a program to embed a "watermark" in your material which can include whatever info you want. More info can be found here: http://www.uconomix.com/umark/

They offer a free version or a full featured version for $18. Pretty Cheap if you value your work.

But, as I believe someone already said - any original creative work is automatically assumed copyrighted and you can pretty much trust most people around this neighborhood as being honest. It is just the occasional BUTT.

I recently had the opportunity to speak with lawyers and the govt about this, so as far as the US goes, your original work is protected pretty much automatically but (there is ALWAYS a BUTT), if someone steals your original idea you will need to take them to court AND you have to be able to prove it was yours to begin with, (hence the watermarking.) And since for the most part, we are just hobbies - it's not worth it (unless of course you are getting paid for this).
#59 Old 19th Aug 2006 at 9:17 AM
*gigglesnort*

GO NUMENOR! I love your rationale. :D
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#60 Old 20th Aug 2006 at 6:22 PM
Numenor, the all-round Genius - someone needs to send Bladex a link to this... link text "Not a link to MTS2" :P

Idiots like this can be a real pain in the backside, but when they give such good sport, it's almost worth it

Well done on the superior emailing... it reminds me of myself telling my godbrother over msn to stop taking my PS2 games home with him!

I'm still chuckling... I've got to eat, how do I eat when I can't stop laughing??

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
#61 Old 20th Aug 2006 at 7:19 PM
Jesus christ he writes like a 5 year old (and I just checked out pandorasims- man that has to be one of the worst download sites for Sims 2 I've ever come across... talk about technically and artistically challenged!).

Good job for posting it =) And keep up the great work Numenor!
#62 Old 21st Aug 2006 at 4:56 AM
There have been several attempts in the past to watchdog file thieves to try and stop illegal file sharing, but for every thief that was stopped, five more would crop up to take their place...some of us still do this, but we do it quietly and privately...the best thing you can do is alert a creator if you suspect their stuff has been stolen and let them deal with the theives' ISP, site host and whatever else may be applicable...complants from the injured party always carry more weight than a complaint from anyone else...

Still, it WAS amusing to see that exchange, Numenor...kudos!

hugz,
rowena
Test Subject
#63 Old 21st Aug 2006 at 5:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by displaybox
You know... his website is hosted by hairyglove.com (I <3 whois.net), which states in their TOS that he can't post copyrighted materials (anything you create is automatically copyrighted to you by law), which means he's breaking their rules. I bet if creators who found their stuff on his site without premission contacted hairyglove with information pertaining to their creations that he'd lose his site or at the very least, be forced to take it all down.

Just a thought.

Yay displaybox! Ammunition. I say we roast this guy.
#64 Old 22nd Aug 2006 at 2:52 AM
There are those who can create new things and then there are those who simply can't. Most of us are content to admire those with abilities that surpass our own; it is truly unfortunate that some pathetic souls feel so creatively bankrupt that they see stealing others' ideas as their only way to have anything at all.

Well, as much as it sucks to have your stuff stolen, there is one thing to consider;

you have it in you to create. you will create more. they can't.
Top Secret Researcher
#65 Old 22nd Aug 2006 at 3:20 AM
Dear Numenor, I'm sorry that this happened to you; Bladex was completely and thoroughly in the wrong. But please do remember that practically everybody honors you as one of the essential founding members of our community. You are admired and revered by many, many people. You can rise above little creeps like this guy because you're soooooo much bigger than they can even imagine being.

Heck, half the community worships you and the other half wants to be you. :-) Brush him off like the insect he is.
Test Subject
#66 Old 22nd Aug 2006 at 4:07 AM
I love MTS. Not only because it has free downloads for all the community who cannot afford to donate but look for quality downloads but also because it gives a chance to each and everyone of us to post the creations without the need to create a personal web site. Apart from this, the know-how and all the information you share in MTS is priceless. I do not remember a day I did not vist the site since I learned about it.
Anyways, I never visited that persons web site and I am not familiar with his/hers creations. If he/she ever find some spare time to create any other than stealing someone else's work. I always thought that kind of things would not happen in this community. I think that is a shame. Not only do they steal another persons creations but also they convince themselves that it is their lawful right to do so. I am sure he/she has some brains, If only he could use some of it for his socials and corrected his/hers wrong doing in the first place, he wouldn't be in this position now. Shame shame shame....
Thank you Numenor for letting all of us know.

Quote:
If it's just us, it seems like an awful waste of space
Lab Assistant
#67 Old 22nd Aug 2006 at 4:37 AM
What a loser. NEVER FIND NUMENOR! Numenor knows what Numenor is talking about! GO NUMENOR, YAY!
#68 Old 22nd Aug 2006 at 4:38 AM
if this is off-topic for here then please let me know, but this reminds me of a question I had about using content:

I am totally cool with not using content I can't give credit for, however, UI have found a couple things my six year old downloaded from the exchange that has no name on it, no tool tip, nothing to identify whose work it is and I'm wondering if at the point where I have made a number of attempts to find out who to credit before I use even the general idea, at what point does anybody assume the creator doesn't care enough to be bothered?

I know those things can be stolen but part of looking for the creator is that I search every site I visit for anything resembling my find. Thoughts??
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#69 Old 22nd Aug 2006 at 7:39 AM
Personally, I'd have to say that any creator on The Exchange has very little in the way of copyright rights, given that that community as a whole is such a scummy den of theives: therefore I'd say to use it. However, I realise that doesn't exactly sit right with various laws - I'll have to leave it to your judgement and/or consience!
(Thankfully I'll never have this problem, having downloaded only two things from the Exchange which are shareable, and which haven't been deleted )

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
#70 Old 22nd Aug 2006 at 3:05 PM
"sims1 rule creator"? I thought this was sims2!!!
Test Subject
#71 Old 22nd Aug 2006 at 6:54 PM
good reactions from you, numenor! i have a website myself ( non Sims..) and if i post stuff there i either make sure i an allowed, or just link to it. (done that with a few things i liked from others.)

acacia, maybe you could add a sentence telling that if the person who created it doesn't like seeing his/her stuff, they can contact you?
#72 Old 22nd Aug 2006 at 7:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Acacia
at what point does anybody assume the creator doesn't care enough to be bothered?

I know those things can be stolen but part of looking for the creator is that I search every site I visit for anything resembling my find. Thoughts??

I don't know if you include readme's with your downloads (and i don't know if you're talking about sims, lots or whatever here)...but if you DO, then simply include something in your readme file that says "The following objects are uncredited:..." and list them...then, at the end say "If anyone knows who created these objects, please contact me at (insert email address here) so i can give proper credit. If you are the creator and you would prefer your creation not be included, contact me and i will remove it immediately. Thank you!"

That shows that you made an effort to find the creator and that you are not purposely using stuff that you may not have a right to use...it is always easier to beg forgiveness than it is to get permission, although when possible it is best to ask permission first!
hugz,
rowena
Field Researcher
#73 Old 23rd Aug 2006 at 1:26 AM
This is on the front page of the site - No content from this site is to be used without written permission from Pandora Sims No ideas, objects, skins, modded items or original work may be rented, resold or given -

You got my curiosity up so I went for a look :wtf2:
I'm not sure if bladex :loser: knows what the word hypocrite means - but I'm sure he has a tough time spelling it....what a tool. :screwy:
Top Secret Researcher
#74 Old 23rd Aug 2006 at 6:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by maskeysims
I'm not sure if bladex knows what the word hypocrite means - but I'm sure he has a tough time spelling it.

*laugh* Great line!

I've made some mods for The Sims 1 -- yes, The Sims ONE :-) -- which you can find at http://corylea.com/Sims1ModsByCorylea.html
Lab Assistant
#75 Old 23rd Aug 2006 at 12:18 PM
Stealing is stealing no matter how you put it
That guy is :screwy: I will also put the link in my signature. Here is my contibution of laughter.....LOL

When you see someone without a smile Give them Yours! Want to impress your Father this Father's Day come check out my new site...http://holladaure.ecrater.com/
Locked thread | Locked by: leesester Reason: Threadcromancers about
Page 3 of 7