Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th May 2009 at 8:38 PM
Default Why is it that everyone hates or dislikes Pets and unleashed so much ?
I am always hearing how people think it is the worst expansion pack and how they hope they dont make another one for the sims 3 and how they shouldnt of even done it for the sims 2 . But what is soo bad about it i loved the feel of the sims unleashed and i mean the pets expanison for the sims 2 wasn't thrilling but it definitely wasnt as bad as freetime or obf imo.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 18th May 2009 at 9:38 PM
I don't hate the Pets EP but I do think it lack new game play if you compare it with the other EP's. OFB is actually one of my favorite EP's together with Seasons because they added so much more options. I have all EP's and I like them all, just that I like some of them more...

Edit: Not sure if I'll get Sims 3 yet, need to get Vista first and hear some more info from players about the game before I make my decision, but I wouldn't mind having pets in the game as long as it came with a lot of new game play.
Test Subject
#3 Old 18th May 2009 at 9:43 PM
I don't like Pets very much. My computer is REALLY slow, and having one pet on the lot adds about as much lag as having 2-3 Sims. It doesn't add much to the game, so there's really no point in me having it. Next time I install the game, I might just leave Pets out.

I prefer OFB and AL because they add so much to the game.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 18th May 2009 at 9:52 PM
I don't mind pets. but I'd love if they add more animals in Sims 3. Like horses for example.

It would be more fun then just cats and dogs.
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 18th May 2009 at 10:24 PM
I loved Pets, but found OFB slightly boring. Go figure.

I would like to clear up the little matter of my sanity as it has come into question. I am not in any way, shape, or form, sane. Insane? Hell yes!

People keep calling me 'evil.' I must be doing something right.

SilentPsycho - The Official MTS2 Psycho
Field Researcher
#6 Old 18th May 2009 at 10:35 PM
I don't know that they HATE the pack as such. It's more the letdown factor you see when it comes to Pets. It's like Alma said. Folks tend to feel the EP lacked new additions to the game play compared to the other EP's. Pets had a lot of potential. Potential carries expectations. The frustrations with Pets not meeting the expectations bred by its potential are what you're seeing as hate.
Forum Resident
#7 Old 18th May 2009 at 10:46 PM
I think it comes down to a combination of how important people think pets are in the game, plus how much general gameplay comes with the EP. Some just don't see any point to having cats or dogs around because they don't do anything/they're pointless/they're annoying and destructive. Personally, I'm used to having pets wandering/lazing about and doing their own thing in real life, so it seems natural to me for some Sims to have pets lazing about and occasionally ruining furniture in the background in their own homes.

That said, Pets really was a weak EP overall. The pets themselves were greatly improved from their UL predecessors, but that's really all there was. UL at least added "fake" pets (2 birdcages, turtle and iguana terrariums, and I think something else) in addition to dogs and cats, some new careers paths, an expanded neighborhood with the awesome New Orleansy Old Town and associated NPCs, plus the ever-important gardening, which also brought the cute mice and rabbit vermin. I think the stray raccoon may have also been introduced here (or was it Claire the Bear?). UL pets could also participate in pet shows, which to me is way more interesting (and realistic) than pet career paths.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 18th May 2009 at 11:27 PM
Generally, it's kinda irritating. Like they've said, there aren't that many new options, and it just adds unwanted wants.
You get animals coming onto your lot constantly and digging holes, you get irritating LTW like, "Get 6 Pets to the top of their careers" et cetera, et cetera.

It's just an unneeded failure where they could have done a lot more good.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 20th May 2009 at 12:34 PM
I don't hate Pets, I kind of like it actually but it do was a disappointment. Seeing how the only thing they added was pets (+some furniture), I surely was expecting more from the animals. As a pet owner I find it ridiculous how limited all the actions are and how all the pets are blind, deaf or just plain stupid. They don't act like real animals at all. I mean... what kind of dog just sits doing nothing while burglar is roaming around in your house? What kind of dog just snores away while his/her owner is having a massive fight just next to her/him? Pets also don't really show their personality. Cats do this better but dogs are very dull. My real life dog was a real personality (she passed away in february ) so it kind of saddens me how her Sims version is like every other dog in the game. I just think the creators were lazy with the EP and there's really no excuse to that. I accept the fact that they only added pets (I didn't expect anything more) but because it's just PETS they should have paid much more effort to them.
The another thing why this EP irritates me are the numerous bugs and other annoyances. Insanely dominating pet wants were the worst but there were many other things too which forced me to download lots of hacks and mods to make the game bearable again.
Site Helper
#10 Old 20th May 2009 at 1:09 PM
I loved Unleashed (yes it was the raccoon that got introduced. And the bunny rabbits in the garden. Claire the bear raided your beehive in Making Magic)

I thought Pets would be as good, but they left out pet shows, and the animals are no more developed than the sims 1 versions other than wearing a better mesh. The bugs that needed fixing in Pets were a big disappointment.
Sim Princess in Pink
#11 Old 20th May 2009 at 1:33 PM
To be honest when both games come out, they were my favorite! I loved having different animals to play with, but now whenever I make a family, I will admit I don't make pets anymore now the novelty has worn off.

Please, Call Me Lou :D
Field Researcher
#12 Old 20th May 2009 at 2:29 PM
i buy Pets EP for some furnitures? or mod?
but i didn't make or adopted a pet yet...
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 20th May 2009 at 4:08 PM
I find the pets a bit ugly,I never could make myself like the dogs/cats in the game. Unleashed,though was one of my favorites..those things were adorable! My favorite pet (was it even a pet? I can't remember) was the dragon from Making Magic!
I'm more into my sims having birds,gerbils,rabbits and so on,the Pets EP has even less animals and I could never make a pet as how I wanted to (No Shih tzus no Pommies and so on) too limiting.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 20th May 2009 at 4:53 PM
I recently got Pets partly for the furniture and mostly because I love animals. I haven't done much with the pets yet though. I think the strays are cute, but they can be really annoying, digging holes and all that. I think I agree with Thrior, though, in saying that they could have done much more with it.
Instructor
#15 Old 20th May 2009 at 6:10 PM
As far as Unleashed goes, I didn't like that if you had an animal and it wasn't suitable for the family (refer to the Burb's dog not liking the son), you couldn't DO anything about it. You were stuck with the animal.

In Pets, which I like (except for the blasted, hole-digging wolves), I don't like the fact that 'high speed' sleeping has been turned off. Unless you put in the codes, you can't control the pets anyway, so why does the game have to run at normal speed just because the flippin' pet is awake!? I miss the shows from Unleashed and think it's a feature they should have kept. I agree that it's a matter of expectations. With Pets the emphasis was placed on the "Create a Pet", being able to completely customize fur...Yeah, ok. Instead of putting more focus on interactions and gameplay. Other than that, most of my Simfamilies have a dog or a cat. And a lot of my Uni. students have birds and womrats.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 20th May 2009 at 7:58 PM
I don't hate Pets, but it wasn't my favorite EP. I wouldn't want to play without it though, or without any of my expansions for that matter, as each one adds a little to the gameplay.

Quote: Originally posted by AngelicScot
In Pets, which I like (except for the blasted, hole-digging wolves), I don't like the fact that 'high speed' sleeping has been turned off. Unless you put in the codes, you can't control the pets anyway, so why does the game have to run at normal speed just because the flippin' pet is awake!?

That has always annoyed me too. I've hoped for a hack since this EP came out to fix this, but I'm not even sure it's possible.
Forum Resident
#17 Old 21st May 2009 at 5:14 AM
Pets was boring tbh.
I loved Unleashed, and it engages you more (eg. the Pet shows) whereas Pets just added a lot of useless objects and the loading time only lagged even more.
Forum Resident
#18 Old 21st May 2009 at 5:36 AM
I never have pets in my game...I tried it once and got bored.
I don't hate the EP though, I couldn't pick an EP to uninstall because I'm so used to the game as a whole, so removing anything would make a difference for me.

I wish it had added more to the gameplay though. It frustrates me when I see some random strays digging up my yard.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 21st May 2009 at 5:43 AM
True to above. Thrior, I absolutely agree with you! That was a major disappointment. If they do make pets, I'd love a bit more of realism and more pet choices. I mean just cats and dogs? I want ferrets and horses! Oh lake full of pet crocodiles would be cute! OT: I am sorry about your dog
Field Researcher
#20 Old 23rd May 2009 at 3:46 AM
Not everyone hates it. If I had to get rid of all but 3 of my ep, I would keep pets as one. I like cats and dogs. I don't get bored with them like some people do. I adore the retro furniture in this pack. I do wish they had the pet show and I wish when the sims go to sleep, time would speed up regardless if the family pet was awake or sleep. Just my two cents.
Instructor
#21 Old 23rd May 2009 at 4:03 AM
I adore animals of all kinds and I own two dogs. But I dislike pets because it doesn't add much to the game, and all the stuff it does add is most likely annoying. But I do like the furniture that came with it
All they do is ruin your furniture and garden. And getting them to have puppies/kittens is a challenge all in it's own.
And it sucks how sims either always want a pet and when they do have one, most of their wants involve something for the pet.

Smile.
It's easier than explaining why you're sad.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 23rd May 2009 at 4:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by danirawr_SC
I never have pets in my game...I tried it once and got bored.
I don't hate the EP though, I couldn't pick an EP to uninstall because I'm so used to the game as a whole, so removing anything would make a difference for me.

I wish it had added more to the gameplay though. It frustrates me when I see some random strays digging up my yard.

I think there is no pets sign in there. As in only pets allowed on the lot is your own.
Site Helper
#23 Old 23rd May 2009 at 8:58 PM
There is a sign at simlogical that sends random strays away as soon as they appear, but I think the one in game is just a decoration.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Test Subject
#24 Old 11th Jan 2011 at 7:50 PM
There's not just cats and dogs. There's also Womrats, parrots, and aquariums of fish that can be found in the buy mode. You can't do much with the fish,but you can play with the Womrats and parrots.
It would have been nice for them to have added horses and ferrets though.
Mad Poster
#25 Old 11th Jan 2011 at 8:11 PM
I like Pets okay...I don't feel the need to buy every Sim a pet, but sometimes I like for them to get a pet.

My favorites to adopt are Bonkers and Cymmi (kittens), and Maxx and Leroy (puppies).

Even if you don't like some of an EP's features, at least you have more choices in furniture, decor, etc.
Page 1 of 3