Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#26 Old 3rd Nov 2007 at 9:12 AM
I don't believe you get dominant/recessive skintones, but if you're using most custom skins, they'll always be dominant over Maxis defaults - if one parent wears custom (*) skin and the other wears Maxis skin (or a default replacement) the babies will always get custom skin. Certain skins (like my own) are geneticized so that this doesn't happen - they blend genetically with Maxis skins. A side effect is that they may pop up even when neither parent has that skin (S1 and S4 Maxis may end up with an S2 baby with my skin!) so that's a little odd but I kinda like it.

Boioi - Gender is purely 50/50 random so don't worry about gender in your tests. As is said above, you should be looking at personality traits/star sign to be sure they're actually identical... and bear in mind that if you use the Maxis template faces (i.e. the first two, the only non-fugly ones) then all children are going to look the same because the parents have basically the same face.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Advertisement
#27 Old 4th Nov 2007 at 4:06 PM
Thanks. I looked up their personality and interests and they are slightly different.
#28 Old 12th Nov 2007 at 3:51 PM
Does rolling the pacifier affect the birth of twins? So far I've had 4 births in my town and 3 of them have been twins (1 couple with 2 sets)! I did not know about rolling the pacifier for any of these pregnancies (and all four births happened during different play sessions), so I am wondering if that affected it. Or is this just random?
retired moderator
Original Poster
#29 Old 12th Nov 2007 at 4:04 PM
No, it doesn't, dfs2600. If you read on the game guide linked in the first post of this thread it explains what gets you twins.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
#30 Old 12th Nov 2007 at 4:14 PM
I read the game guide, and that's what got me wondering because it says there is only a 5-10% chance of twins per pregnancy. So statistically speaking, it would seem rather amazing that I have 3 sets of twins out of 4 births, right? I was just wondering if anyone had had the same experience (with regard to not rolling the pacifier). But if it truly is chance, cheesecake, or cheats, I will defer to you and the guide. Twins are exhausting for me and my sim parents, so I was hoping I could do something to prevent them. Oh, well.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#31 Old 12th Nov 2007 at 4:16 PM
If one of the parents is a twin or may have randomly gotten the "twin gene" that could cause you to get more twins. Or it might just be randomly - statistical anomalies do occur. I've only had natural twins once, ever, in my game.

#32 Old 12th Nov 2007 at 4:23 PM
I'd go with "twin gene" (especially for the parents with two sets of twins in a row) because none of these parents have a twin (but out of the two sets of parents, all of them except one have a sibling from CAS--could that be considered a twin?). So, presumably when these twin children grow up, they are more likely to have twins? Ugh. Adoption is looking good (you can't get twins from adoption, can you?)
retired moderator
Original Poster
#33 Old 12th Nov 2007 at 4:28 PM
It can just come up randomly even if no twins are present in the family. There's a little invisible token sims can end up with that denote they are more likely to have twins. I'm not sure how to tell whether or not a certain sim has one - might be a way to look in SimPE though I've never checked for that. It is more likely that children who are twins will get the twin token - not 100% but more likely.

You could always impregnate your sims using the InSIMenator. If you don't specifically choose twins when using it, you don't get twins.

Test Subject
#34 Old 17th Nov 2007 at 8:22 PM
Wow, that's some good information to know. Thanks for the heads up!
Field Researcher
#35 Old 6th Jun 2008 at 12:52 AM
well that explains it!
I have a family that I made in CAS with 2 teen girls that have exactly the same face, but I liked that, because in my mind they are fraternal twins (one blonde, one brunette)
In another family, 2 boys, born at different times, are clones of each otehr, even down to the shirt they were assigned when they grew to child. That bugged me, and was more than a bit creepy. Now I know to roll the pacifier to avoid the creepy cloning!
Site Helper
#36 Old 6th Jun 2008 at 8:35 AM
There is a token in memory that you can see in SimPE called "Pregnancy modifier token". I've seen it in sims who weren't pregnant. (In one neighborhood Ricky Cormier had it, and he's a teen townie male.)

My sim who has one and is married to a guy who has one always has twins unless I use the Triplets and Quads hack and select "Single." So I'm guessing that this is the "twin token".

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Test Subject
#37 Old 21st Jun 2008 at 3:21 PM
i still don't get it i am kind of confused....
Scholar
#38 Old 22nd Jun 2008 at 11:18 AM
Basically, unless you roll the pacifiyer then your Sims next child will look identical to their first child.

I'm supporting the Optimist Camp for the Sims 4.

Top Secret Researcher
#39 Old 22nd Jun 2008 at 11:22 AM
I did roll the pacifier. But my babies keep getting the same eye color and skintone. I'm confused--am I supposed to roll the pacifier before I get my sims pregnant or before she gives birth?

Edit: One sim has custom eye colors and skintone. The other has default replacements and a Maxis skintone. Any explanations why?
Scholar
#40 Old 22nd Jun 2008 at 11:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by 1306
I did roll the pacifier. But my babies keep getting the same eye color and skintone. I'm confused--am I supposed to roll the pacifier before I get my simj pregnant or before she gives birth?

Rolling the pacfiyer means that your Sims children will not get the same features - i.e. same nose, same mouth, etc. It does not mean they will get different skintones and eye colour, as that is based on dominant/recessive genes that the parents have. For example, if the mother had pale skin and brown eyes, and the father had dark skin and blue eyes, its very likely that most of the children they have will have medium/dark skin and brown eyes, as those are dominant.

Edit; Custom eyecolours and skintones are much more dominant than the genetic skintones. So, in other words, if one Sim had custom eyes and skin that was not default, and the other Sim had the default Maxis skintones, the custom eyes and skin will always be dominant (this applys even when you have default replacements; the CC skin will still be dominant).

I'm supporting the Optimist Camp for the Sims 4.

Field Researcher
#41 Old 22nd Jun 2008 at 11:45 AM
Ok, here it goes. I didn't roll the pacifier and my kids are NOT looking a like. I have one couple with 4 kids.

The teen boy has his father's features and eye colour, but he has his dad's skin and hair colour.

The girl has her dad's mother's features, her father's eye colour, and her dad's skin and hair colour.

Twin baby no. 1 has his dad's mother's eye colour and his dad's skin and hair colour.
Twin baby no. 2 has his father's eye colour and his dad's skin and hair colour.

All the kids are played in different playing sessions. I think my sister might have been playing around in CAS, but not in the same playing session as my couple have had 2 births.

Am I lucky...?

~*Sofie-Amalie*~
LJ
Top Secret Researcher
#42 Old 22nd Jun 2008 at 11:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Figgi
Edit; Custom eyecolours and skintones are much more dominant than the genetic skintones. So, in other words, if one Sim had custom eyes and skin that was not default, and the other Sim had the default Maxis skintones, the custom eyes and skin will always be dominant (this applys even when you have default replacements; the CC skin will still be dominant).

What about two sims who are all CC eyecolors and skintones? How does that work?
Field Researcher
#43 Old 22nd Jun 2008 at 11:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by 1306
What about two sims who are all CC eyecolors and skintones? How does that work?

I think there's a 50/50 chance of the baby getting any of the parents' genetics.

50/50 on eyes, skin, hair etc.

~*Sofie-Amalie*~
LJ
Top Secret Researcher
#44 Old 22nd Jun 2008 at 3:03 PM
Sometimes Pescado's Debugger Mod doesn't work for me. Instead of giving my sims vastly different faces, they'll have different eye colors and skintone with very similar facial features with maybe a nose difference. I don't know why seeing as the parents usually have very unique faces, so their children should have different faces from each other.

~* Childish, Eco-Friendly, Snob, Couch Potato, Inappropriate *~
#45 Old 28th Jun 2008 at 3:45 AM
Ah fantastic, I haven't been on this site for a couple of months and I just got back into playing TS2 and remembered hearing about how to avoid the dreaded Firstborn Syndrome here somewhere - what luck to find a topic on the very first page.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#46 Old 28th Jun 2008 at 9:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by happycowlover
Sometimes Pescado's Debugger Mod doesn't work for me. Instead of giving my sims vastly different faces, they'll have different eye colors and skintone with very similar facial features with maybe a nose difference. I don't know why seeing as the parents usually have very unique faces, so their children should have different faces from each other.

You're missing the point of the FFS Debugger. What it actually does is to randomize the sim generator- it doesn't mean that your siblings will not look very similar. The way the game works is that each 'value' (cheek shape, eye shape, nose shape etc.,) has different probabilities of being inherited, depending upon the parent. For example, Parent A may have dominant nose, eye shape and chin, whereas parent B may only have dominant mouth. Therefore, there is a greater chance that each sibling will have the nose, eye shape and chin from Parent A and the mouth from parent B, than there is that they will have parent B's nose, eyes and chin. As the game works by giving the sim either the nose from parent A or the nose from Parent B, and not a combination of the two, then you will often have two siblings with 'the same' nose. To see which traits are dominant you need to boot the game in debug mode and use the SimDNA (simname) cheat. If you don't roll the pacifier or use the debugger then you can guarantee that the sim randomizer will be at the same condition in successive game sessions.
Alchemist
#47 Old 28th Jun 2008 at 9:52 PM
I dont understand the FFS Debugger, i have it in game but i dont fully understand the randomise sim genetics button and if it just exits the lot or the whole game?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#48 Old 30th Jun 2008 at 8:56 PM
Yes, that is by design. In order to randomize the sim generator the game must exit to neighbourhood view (without saving). You must then re-enter the lot you were playing.
#49 Old 9th Jul 2008 at 2:54 AM
Why is this feature in the sims?

And is it true that it is fixed with the seasons EP?
retired moderator
Original Poster
#50 Old 9th Jul 2008 at 2:55 AM
lolwtf - It's just a quirk, not really a feature exactly - nor is it exactly a bug... They could have easily randomized the genetics a little bit somehow. It's just an oversight. It's never been fixed - it's present in all EPs.

Locked thread
Page 2 of 10