Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Jun 2007 at 2:18 PM
Default What did you do with the Strangetown characters?
What did you do with Tank Grunt, Nervous Subject, and the rest? Tell us every little detail of what happened with the Maxis premade characters in Strangetown in your game.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 17th Jun 2007 at 3:57 PM
I play only with the Grunts and the Smiths. All the rest are pulled to the family bin.

I begin with Olive Specter's house, moving all the tombs to the cemetary, send Ophelia to college, and pull the old "black widow" to the family bin (can't kill her, lol).

The Curous Brothers are ugly, so I pull them too, and so the Beakers.

The interesting event is, that Jill, after I marry her to some sim, always have an alien baby, although she has a human look.

I always resurrect Lyla Grunt, but change ger aspiration to a knowledge one, to prevent further cheatings. The most happy one is Buck, who gets his mother back.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 18th Jun 2007 at 10:54 AM
LOL Every detail? Before I went to bed last night I started thinking about how best to remove aliens from my game within my plotline. I remember drifting off to sleep thinking I'd use General Buzz Grunt for a government cover-up and have him murder the lot of them. While I was brushing my teeth today, I began to plot the intricate death of ... (I'll stop now before someone thinks I'm serious.)

I use Insim to age all the aliens into death. Anyone in any hood who has alien DNA but a normal skintone stays but I don't let them breed. I'm not into the fantasy aspect EA gave us. No vampires, werewolves, plantsims, aliens, or zombies for me. Other than that I do it differently every time.
Test Subject
#4 Old 24th Jun 2007 at 3:05 PM
Brilliant idea creating the Common Threads area, Hysterical Paroxysm, it will make finding these common, though delightful, topics all the easier.

Gee Gali, you think the Curious brothers are ugly? All of them? I found Pascal to be rather handsome once I changed his nerdly hair and clothes, and I'm a bloke who doesn't ordinarily look at other blokes in that manner.

Oh wow, Moondragon! You'd have General Buzz commit murder? I'd love to hear about that! If you plan to upload it as a story, do tell me about it, for I would love to read it!

Anyway, as for the question, Strangetown is by far my favourite neighbourhood, and the characters are so interesting that I have no desire to make CAS characters to put in the town. I did however use the tutorial by SaraMK for merging Maxis Neighbourhoods and combined Strangetown with Pleasantview, as the gene pool of either neighbourhood could potentially become rather small in two or three generations.

Anyway, I tend to follow the wants of the characters above all else, so the effects surprised me at times. Thus far, this is what has occured:

Grunts-Tank continued to bully Ripp whenever my attention was elsewhere, so I hastily built his skills up and moved him to the University, but not before he got into two fights with Johnny Smith. Tank won the first one, but Johnny built up his body skill and won the next one.

Ripp thrived without Tank's abuses, but unfortunately, bore the brunt of General Buzz's wrath when I was busy having Buck build his skills. Buck was taught to study by Ripp after Buzz grudgingly taught Ripp and Tank. The only way I've found to keep Buzz from abusing either Buck or Ripp was to keep him busy at skill building, or with the electric guitar (that is more addicting that SIM Crack I suspect). Unfortunately, Buzz died when I drove him too hard and he fell asleep whilst cooking and burned to death. Ripp supported Buck until they were both teens, at which time I sent them to college to join Tank, who I had not played during this time, and so all three Grunt brothers went through college together. Oddly enough, once in college, Tank no longer bullied Ripp and the two become the best of friends, and both brothers seemed to adore Buck, and got on with him. They all graduated together Summa Cum Laude. Buck is attracted to Lucy Burb from Pleasantview, while Ripp seems to like Lazlo Curious (unrequited, as Lazlo doesn't seem to notice him) and Tank got into a fight with Dustin Broke over Angela Pleasant. Lilith Pleasant likes to poke, insult and shove Tank on a regular basis.

Ajay Loner- Unfortunately I wasn't a very proficient player when I first started, and Ajay died whilst fixing a broken dishwasher when he was too poor to afford a repairperson. I thought two mechanical points would be enough!

Cloe Curious (Singles)- Went into aspiration failure shortly after I started playing the Singles house and so I had her befriend the maid Remington (I can't remember his last name, as his name is Curious now), and they turned out to have three lighting bolts for each other, so they married shortly thereafter and have a son.

Lola Curious (Singles)-Fell in love with one of my Pleasantview CAS Sims which I created simply because I adore tough warrior women (Matsutoya Tokugawa) and they had three children, the later two being twins. Really, I never thought it would happen, but as soon as they met, they had hearts for one another. Who knew? Lola likes females.

Erin Beaker (Singles)-Called a truce between her and her brother Loki and the two are now very close. Erin later moved in with Loki and Circe and made use of the career reward items there and reached the top of the politics career.

Kristen Loste (Singles)-Is still single, although I've been playing for many sim lifetimes (the characters are generally happy enough to afford Elixir of life coolers every three to four sim weeks or so), and she seems to be satisfied with many friends and her job as a Hall of Famer

Smiths- Jenny and Pollination Technician were drinking ample measures of elixir of life and are still as they were then the game began, Jenny rolled the want to quit her job as a Nurse, and went through many career tracks(she kept wanting to quit her job) and is now a Space Pirate and seems happy with the job. Pollination Tech spends his days making friends for the Smith family and seems to enjoy fishing and growing crops for their meals each day. Jill is currently in college, and Johnny married Ophelia.

Beakers-Loki and Circe both reached the tops of their careers and thankfully haven't been abusing Nervous Subject beyond the occasional teasing or insulting. No human experimentation, YAY! They still go about the neighbourhood stealing newspapers and kicking bins when I'm playing other people's houses.

Nervous Subject-Knowing that Olive is not long for the world when the game begins, I had Nervous build a relationship with his mother by calling her at least daily and inviting her over to the Beaker's house whenever he had a day off from his work on the culinary track. He seemed to thrive once his relationship with Olive and Ophelia improved, and he is now a Celebrity Chef. Because I fulfil all any character's wants (not if Nervous wanted to fight with someone though) Nervous was content enough to work to the top of his career and had enough aspiration points banked to buy his mother Elixir of life once he left the Beakers and moved in with Olive.

Olive Spectre-Still alive as a result of a life saving gift of Elixir of Life from her son Nervous, she is now kept content enough to earn her own Elixirs. She eventually built a good relationship with Ophelia and Johnny as well as their daughter. Although she is still mean to nearly everyone else in the game, she has a special place in her heart for her Grandchildren(Yes, you've heard that right!) and she helps them with their work each day and trains them to be neat.

This brings us to the ever popular Curious brothers, as their story is very much related to the aforementioned families.

Curious-Because of the neighbourhood merge, something happened with Pascal's alien baby, and caused his daughter to be born a human, who looks exactly like Pascal, except that she's female. Shortly after her birth, Nervous turned up at the Curious house. And after Pascal had fed her and put her to bed, they began talking. While I was busy watching Vidcund Vomit after his alien abduction, I heard chimes in the background and upon investigation, I saw Nervous caressing Pascal's Cheek. I thought it was delightful how Maxis seemed to set them up to fall in love without the players intervention! They have three lightning bolts for one another, so I left them to it whilst I built up Vidcund and Lazlo's skills. Whenever Nervous left, Pascal rolled wants to invite him over, so over the three days that Pascal remained home with Hypatia(his alien daughter), Nervous spent the days with him. Several times, Nervous fed Hypatia autonomously, which I thought odd since he's usually such a difficult character as he likes to argue constantly. He was very loving to Hypatia, and since he loved Pascal, I moved him in with the Curiouses for a time. When he rolled the want to get engaged and be married, Pascal accepted and they were married just before Pascal was promoted to Mad Scientist. I don't use many hacks, but I decided to download TwoJeff's Pregnancy for All Genders Hack to fulfill Nervous's Child want, and they have three biological children of their own now, which are the grandchildren that Olive Spectre dotes over. After the birth of first child, they moved in with Olive. As for Vidcund, he is exceedingly odd, as he seems to be attracted to all of the alien children born to the SIMS in the merged neighbourhood. He is currently married to one named Satsuki. As for Lazlo, I was surprised that he had no lightning bolts for Crystal Vu and wondered what Maxis was thinking putting people together who aren't even attracted to one another, so I allowed them to drift apart. Lazlo showed no interest in anyone until the Pets expansion pack brought Tara Kat. I don't know if she's the descendent of Ginia Kat from SIMS 1, but Lazlo got three bolts for her, and they are now a couple. Neither rolled the want to get married or have children, but Lazlo loves Tara's cats.
Instructor
#5 Old 12th Jul 2007 at 10:54 PM
Strangetown is my favorite neighborhood by far -- it's a built-in excuse to play with all the weird things in the game (especially aliens). My other hoods aren't as off-the-wall as Strangetown, since it gives me a place to put all that stuff. It's also the only one where I'm really attached to any Maxis Sims -- Pleasantview's interesting enough to play a little, but Strangetown is the one where I'll read a ton of other people's stories about the same Sims.

The one thing I always do is hook up Nervous and Pascal, since it's the nearest thing to being programmed into the game. At one point, in fact, I had to quit without saving because I didn't want them hooking up YET, but if I didn't micromanage them to avoid letting them do anything autonomously, then inevitably one of them would go smooching on the other out of the blue. I also like hooking up Lazlo with Erin (Beaker) Singles, who is ridiculously cute with better hair. (And I made Loki cheat on Circe and get kicked out of the house, but I actually almost felt sorry for him, because while I was carrying out that plan all his wants were pretty much all 'Kiss Circe' and 'Flirt With Circe' and 'Talk to Circe'. I guess for all he's a nasty bastard he actually does love his wife. )
Field Researcher
#6 Old 12th Jul 2007 at 11:41 PM
wow all these nice stories... I actually played in strangetown about a year ago and I remember that these characters were much more...complex than the ones of pleasentview and verona. anyway in my strangetown this alien grandpa died and his wive married buzz grunt they got ,I guess, four more children. AJ got a make-over and began a liaison with teenage jill and college johnny^^. the only family that wasn't so interesting were the singles... I just couldn't see their personalities^^;
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 13th Jul 2007 at 6:06 PM
This might get a little complicated. Everyone in Strangetown is already related...and Chloe's escapades really messed with a couple of families.

Curious: I never played Vicund. He died when he was crushed by a satellite. In his kitchen. Lazlo hung around for a bit, but he never did find love. I moved him into a bachelor pad and have never played him since. Pascal, on the other hand, had a beautiful baby girl, who I named Trillian. He married a former male maid named Xavier and became stepfather to Chloe's -his half-sister's- child, Chase. This makes step-siblings Trillian and Chase cousins. Xavier, being a family sim, had a child with Pascal named Solidad. This makes Trillan and Chase both her siblings and her cousins. Chase is in college now and Trillian is devastated. She freaks out when she sees Solidad sleeping where her brother/cousin should be (like when a sim walks in on another sim in the shower).

Singles: I couldn't deal with all these sims in one house with only 20K between them.

Kristen and Erin: Kristen and Erin moved downtown. They shared a house for a while, they dated a couple of people, but they were always more attracted to each other than to anyone else. They're engaged.

Chloe: Had four different lovers at one point, which included Some Blonde Maid, Xavier, Kate Holmes (Not a Katie Holmes sim. My brother's last name is Holmes and she's his sim wife.), and Olive Specter. Xavier got her pregnant with Chase, which she wasn't too happy with. She kicked them out and gives Chase a call every so often. When I decided that she was getting on in years I had her change aspirations and marry her best friend, Katelyn. They had a girl named Ruth.

Lola: Married a CAS sim named Devi Orestes and adopted a sweet Japanese girl named Akiko. Eventually, Devi became pregnant with their second child, a girl named Alex. Alex was supposed to be their last, but I have a bit of a problem in my game with risky woo-hoos and same-sex couples. Thus, Santiago was born. I call him Santi (like the ghost kid in my favorite Guillermo del Toro movie). I'm really glad that I didn't abort him, because he's the cutest kid I've ever seen.

Smith: Johnny grew into an adult, but the game doesn't seem to think so. He still acts like a teenager. My teenage sims even bring him home from school. I call him The Mean, Green Pedophile Machine.
Instructor
#8 Old 14th Jul 2007 at 5:54 PM
I used to play Strangetown all the time before I discovered the wonders of custom hoods.
I had all the families merged together. Every family are related somehow and I had little alien kiddies running around everywhere (let's just say that the hack I have for abduction was frequently used ) and there were far more aliens than humans.
In the end, it got so overcrowded that I deleted it and I haven't had time to start over again. Maybe I will come back to it some day. It was really fun to play that hood. :D

Feel free to call me Squash

#9 Old 14th Jul 2007 at 9:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ~Squash-buddy-ven~
I used to play Strangetown all the time before I discovered the wonders of custom hoods.
I had all the families merged together. Every family are related somehow and I had little alien kiddies running around everywhere (let's just say that the hack I have for abduction was frequently used ) and there were far more aliens than humans.
In the end, it got so overcrowded that I deleted it and I haven't had time to start over again. Maybe I will come back to it some day. It was really fun to play that hood. :D

sounds fun! But I'm sure I won't have any abduction hacks. I love it when it's mystical, unplanned and unspoken of. I've heard many people who have planned to have aliens take over the whole Strangetown. It would be fun if it happened naturally without a hack but the sad thing is that the aliens cannot breed with the others because they are from the same Pollination Technicians. I would have to wait for some generations for them to be able to breed.

What did I do with my Strangetown characters?
I've had 4 Strangetowns so it's difficult to tell.
I've got a new Strangetown now and I will make sure I won't get tired of it. I will focus on the sims (characters) and control the birth rate. I won't let them have more than 2 (and sometimes 3) kids so I don't end up with boring, no-purpose characters.

1st Strangetown
The first Strangetown was only used for custom families so I deleted all of the maxis sims. I didn't know the fun of the maxis made sims at that time and the names were translated into Norwegian (my first language). Now I play the game in English only.
I had my Strangetown populated by my own fantasy people (Scarlegans) with jet black hair, blue eyes and pale skin. My favourite sim was Draco Clýaweca. It was the time back when I could make good custom families......

2nd Strangetown
My game had went fubar so I decided to install it again (before I knew how to look for mistakes in the downloads folder instead of in the game). I wanted to try the maxis characters and I'm so glad that I did. I don't really remember much now, sorry. I remember Pascal and Vidcund having their alien kids, Lazlo marrying and divorcing Crystal Vu (with 2 kids), the Beakers trying to get promoted (I think they had some kids too), Nervous remaining a test subject, Ajay and the Singles doing nothing, Johnny Smith marrying one of my custom sims and Ophelia going to college.

3rd Strangetown:
It still exists in a folder on my computer and just go and read my story "Spontanous Strangetown Stories" if you wanna know more.

4rth Strangetown:
The Strangetown I'm playing now.

What I've done so far:

Singles/Loner: I moved Ajay and the Singles' into the same home and I'm planning to marry off Ajay to either Lola or Kristen. Who should I choose?
He has got 2 bolts with both girls and I cannot decide. I gave them all jobs. Lola is politics, Chloé is slacker, Kristen is ShowBizz, Erin is paranormal and Ajay is business.

Beaker: I had Nervous make friends with Pascal (his future hubby) and Lazlo. I won't let Circe and Loki breed this time because Loki's genes are so unimaginably ugly. Should I marry off Circe to Vidcund? I did so in my 3rd Strangetown but she was nearly an elder when it happened. What do you think? Should she and Vid get a longer life together this time? I need help here because I'm not sure.

Curious: Pascal had his baby girl (Starla) and Vid got abducted and pregnant. Pascal will marry Nervous and Lazlo will probably get married to Crystal (as always). Vid will maybe marry Circe. But maybe he is too kind for her.........

Smith: Johnny grew up and I had Jenny and Techie go on 2 dates to get enough aspiration points to get some elixir of life. I cannot stand to see poor Techie die soon.....

Grunt: Tank got a job in the military career for kids and I'm not sure whether I will have him marry a girl and stay enemies with Johnny or if I will pair up him with Johnny (haven't anyone done that before???). I think Buzz will marry Bella. Ripp is dating Ophelia and Tank has a crush on Tina Roenningke (a girl Ripp brought home from work). I think Buck will be gay. He wants to be a pet stylist (read his biography).

Specter: I will give Olive elixir of life so she won't die as fast. Ophelia is dating Ripp.
#10 Old 14th Jul 2007 at 11:56 PM
I adore Strangetown, it's the only hood I kept after a fresh reinstall and a happy retirement from contests I hope that I can continue to play it until every original sim has died; see how many generations I can continue, that would be pretty cool...

Ajay Loner - Met a girl named Thomas, fell in love, got married, has two adorable sons Vikram & Samson, plus a baby on the way. They're both doing well in their respective careers. Has double-bolt chemistry for Lola Curious-Smith but hasn't acted on it...yet.

Beaker/Subject - After re-rolling Nervous' turn-ons, he garnered a little chemistry for Loki, which was...amusing Circe caught him trying to flirt with Loki and even though Loki refused the flirt Circe broke up with him. As Loki prepared to leave he sat down to do some final stargazing and a satellite fell on him :confused: Nervous saved him from death and they moved in with Loki's reconciled sister, Erin (Singles). While playing the Specter household, Olive killed Loki (more on that later) and Nervous and Erin fell in love in some weird twist of fate. They're engaged and have a toddler named Aaron and a baby named Isabel.

Before Loki and Circe divorced, Circe became pregnant and after Loki's death, gave birth to a daughter named Cerise, who is a very unfortunate looking kid but has such great character, lmao :P

Curious - Pascal had his alien baby, Orion, who's now a teen. Lazlo had his alien son, Aries, who's now an infant. Lazlo has double chemistry for Ajay's wife, Thomas, and is planning to act on it. Vidcund fell back in love with Circe after her divorce and married her. They now live in the original Beaker house, along with their daughter Dharma, Vidcund's alien daughter Astrid, and Circe's daughter with Loki, Cerise.

Curious-Smith (Singles) - These two are SO boring right now it hurts me to play them but I must have all my sims age together! Both are living a very frugal (read: BROKE) lifestyle. They're best friends with their father PT9. Lola had a son, Hiram, resulting from a one-night stand (a dream date with max chemistry that ended in the photo booth ) who the father has yet to meet. Chloe is just making do in the criminal career track.

Kristen Loste (Singles) - Kristen is why Chloe and Lola are so broke. She was the moneymaker of the Singles household, but fell in love with the pizza guy. They recently got engaged and moved out, taking her money-making job with them...I have yet to play them in their new house.

Grunt - When Tank was still a teen, Johnny walked past and autonomously beat him up Since then he's been furious with him. He started flirting with Johnny's girlfriend Ophelia as a result, but then he fell in love with her. Ripp was a girlfriend-less loser and lost his job because he flunked out of school. Both are now adults. Buck continues to be an adorable little geek that the entire family loves, and is going steady with the goth cheerleader downtownie. :valentine General Buzz met Bella Goth through a mutual acquaintance and are now married.

Smith - Johnny is an adult; at his birthday party both Ophelia and Tank showed up locking lips, resulting in a cheating memory and a failure of a party Jenny and PT9 are still alive (barely, lol), Jill *just* aged into a teen.

Specter - Ophelia moved out to live with her new boyfriend, Tank. Olive became a vampire so she'll never die. At one point Loki walked past and she needed to feed so...she killed him resulting in Nervous and Erin getting together above.

...whew, I think that's it so far
Test Subject
#11 Old 15th Jul 2007 at 6:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by akatonbo
Strangetown is my favorite neighborhood by far -- it's a built-in excuse to play with all the weird things in the game (especially aliens). My other hoods aren't as off-the-wall as Strangetown, since it gives me a place to put all that stuff. It's also the only one where I'm really attached to any Maxis Sims -- Pleasantview's interesting enough to play a little, but Strangetown is the one where I'll read a ton of other people's stories about the same Sims.

The one thing I always do is hook up Nervous and Pascal, since it's the nearest thing to being programmed into the game. At one point, in fact, I had to quit without saving because I didn't want them hooking up YET, but if I didn't micromanage them to avoid letting them do anything autonomously, then inevitably one of them would go smooching on the other out of the blue. I also like hooking up Lazlo with Erin (Beaker) Singles, who is ridiculously cute with better hair. (And I made Loki cheat on Circe and get kicked out of the house, but I actually almost felt sorry for him, because while I was carrying out that plan all his wants were pretty much all 'Kiss Circe' and 'Flirt With Circe' and 'Talk to Circe'. I guess for all he's a nasty bastard he actually does love his wife. )

Brilliant! I must say that I agree with much of what you've said. I am an avid reader of Strangetown stories as well, and I must say that Nervous and Pascal do get together on their own if Nervous is present, and my attention is on Lazlo or Vidcund at any given time.

I've never tried pairing Lazlo and Erin before, but I certainly did not understand the game pairing Lazlo and Crystal though, as they have very little chemistry, while Lazlo has two bolts for Erin.
Test Subject
#12 Old 15th Jul 2007 at 6:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by oceanborn
sounds fun! But I'm sure I won't have any abduction hacks. I love it when it's mystical, unplanned and unspoken of. I've heard many people who have planned to have aliens take over the whole Strangetown. It would be fun if it happened naturally without a hack but the sad thing is that the aliens cannot breed with the others because they are from the same Pollination Technicians. I would have to wait for some generations for them to be able to breed.

What did I do with my Strangetown characters?
I've had 4 Strangetowns so it's difficult to tell.
I've got a new Strangetown now and I will make sure I won't get tired of it. I will focus on the sims (characters) and control the birth rate. I won't let them have more than 2 (and sometimes 3) kids so I don't end up with boring, no-purpose characters.

1st Strangetown
The first Strangetown was only used for custom families so I deleted all of the maxis sims. I didn't know the fun of the maxis made sims at that time and the names were translated into Norwegian (my first language). Now I play the game in English only.
I had my Strangetown populated by my own fantasy people (Scarlegans) with jet black hair, blue eyes and pale skin. My favourite sim was Draco Clýaweca. It was the time back when I could make good custom families......

2nd Strangetown
My game had went fubar so I decided to install it again (before I knew how to look for mistakes in the downloads folder instead of in the game). I wanted to try the maxis characters and I'm so glad that I did. I don't really remember much now, sorry. I remember Pascal and Vidcund having their alien kids, Lazlo marrying and divorcing Crystal Vu (with 2 kids), the Beakers trying to get promoted (I think they had some kids too), Nervous remaining a test subject, Ajay and the Singles doing nothing, Johnny Smith marrying one of my custom sims and Ophelia going to college.

3rd Strangetown:
It still exists in a folder on my computer and just go and read my story "Spontanous Strangetown Stories" if you wanna know more.

4rth Strangetown:
The Strangetown I'm playing now.

What I've done so far:

Singles/Loner: I moved Ajay and the Singles' into the same home and I'm planning to marry off Ajay to either Lola or Kristen. Who should I choose?
He has got 2 bolts with both girls and I cannot decide. I gave them all jobs. Lola is politics, Chloé is slacker, Kristen is ShowBizz, Erin is paranormal and Ajay is business.

Beaker: I had Nervous make friends with Pascal (his future hubby) and Lazlo. I won't let Circe and Loki breed this time because Loki's genes are so unimaginably ugly. Should I marry off Circe to Vidcund? I did so in my 3rd Strangetown but she was nearly an elder when it happened. What do you think? Should she and Vid get a longer life together this time? I need help here because I'm not sure.

Curious: Pascal had his baby girl (Starla) and Vid got abducted and pregnant. Pascal will marry Nervous and Lazlo will probably get married to Crystal (as always). Vid will maybe marry Circe. But maybe he is too kind for her.........

Smith: Johnny grew up and I had Jenny and Techie go on 2 dates to get enough aspiration points to get some elixir of life. I cannot stand to see poor Techie die soon.....

Grunt: Tank got a job in the military career for kids and I'm not sure whether I will have him marry a girl and stay enemies with Johnny or if I will pair up him with Johnny (haven't anyone done that before???). I think Buzz will marry Bella. Ripp is dating Ophelia and Tank has a crush on Tina Roenningke (a girl Ripp brought home from work). I think Buck will be gay. He wants to be a pet stylist (read his biography).

Specter: I will give Olive elixir of life so she won't die as fast. Ophelia is dating Ripp.

Very interesting, I'd love to read a story where aliens take over Strangetown.

By the way, what are their names in Norwegian?

I'm amazed that you were able to play Crystal Vu and Lazlo, for they have no chemistry (at least from what I observed in my game).

Vidcund to kind for Circe? I think boxing gloves would make a splendid wedding present for them! I love what you've done with the characters though. Strangetown characters are delightful and I love hearing how others play them.
Test Subject
#13 Old 15th Jul 2007 at 6:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zora
I adore Strangetown, it's the only hood I kept after a fresh reinstall and a happy retirement from contests I hope that I can continue to play it until every original sim has died; see how many generations I can continue, that would be pretty cool...

Ajay Loner - Met a girl named Thomas, fell in love, got married, has two adorable sons Vikram & Samson, plus a baby on the way. They're both doing well in their respective careers. Has double-bolt chemistry for Lola Curious-Smith but hasn't acted on it...yet.

Beaker/Subject - After re-rolling Nervous' turn-ons, he garnered a little chemistry for Loki, which was...amusing Circe caught him trying to flirt with Loki and even though Loki refused the flirt Circe broke up with him. As Loki prepared to leave he sat down to do some final stargazing and a satellite fell on him :confused: Nervous saved him from death and they moved in with Loki's reconciled sister, Erin (Singles). While playing the Specter household, Olive killed Loki (more on that later) and Nervous and Erin fell in love in some weird twist of fate. They're engaged and have a toddler named Aaron and a baby named Isabel.

Before Loki and Circe divorced, Circe became pregnant and after Loki's death, gave birth to a daughter named Cerise, who is a very unfortunate looking kid but has such great character, lmao :P

Curious - Pascal had his alien baby, Orion, who's now a teen. Lazlo had his alien son, Aries, who's now an infant. Lazlo has double chemistry for Ajay's wife, Thomas, and is planning to act on it. Vidcund fell back in love with Circe after her divorce and married her. They now live in the original Beaker house, along with their daughter Dharma, Vidcund's alien daughter Astrid, and Circe's daughter with Loki, Cerise.

Curious-Smith (Singles) - These two are SO boring right now it hurts me to play them but I must have all my sims age together! Both are living a very frugal (read: BROKE) lifestyle. They're best friends with their father PT9. Lola had a son, Hiram, resulting from a one-night stand (a dream date with max chemistry that ended in the photo booth ) who the father has yet to meet. Chloe is just making do in the criminal career track.

Kristen Loste (Singles) - Kristen is why Chloe and Lola are so broke. She was the moneymaker of the Singles household, but fell in love with the pizza guy. They recently got engaged and moved out, taking her money-making job with them...I have yet to play them in their new house.

Grunt - When Tank was still a teen, Johnny walked past and autonomously beat him up Since then he's been furious with him. He started flirting with Johnny's girlfriend Ophelia as a result, but then he fell in love with her. Ripp was a girlfriend-less loser and lost his job because he flunked out of school. Both are now adults. Buck continues to be an adorable little geek that the entire family loves, and is going steady with the goth cheerleader downtownie. :valentine General Buzz met Bella Goth through a mutual acquaintance and are now married.

Smith - Johnny is an adult; at his birthday party both Ophelia and Tank showed up locking lips, resulting in a cheating memory and a failure of a party Jenny and PT9 are still alive (barely, lol), Jill *just* aged into a teen.

Specter - Ophelia moved out to live with her new boyfriend, Tank. Olive became a vampire so she'll never die. At one point Loki walked past and she needed to feed so...she killed him resulting in Nervous and Erin getting together above.

...whew, I think that's it so far

Brilliant, Zora, I love what you've done with all the Strangetown families, especially in the Beaker and Subject Household! How odd that Circe would break up with Loki, especially since he refused the advance, but who can understand a sim?

How did you get Ophelia and Tank together? In my game, they have absolutely no chemistry whatsoever. I would think your Ophelia wouldn't like Tank all that much, especially since he hammered Johnny without provocation, but again, who can understand a sim?

Thanks for the great read!
Test Subject
#14 Old 15th Jul 2007 at 7:45 PM
I never know what to do with Strangetown.Everyone is related so It gets complicated as for as pairings
#15 Old 15th Jul 2007 at 8:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Modestgurl88
I never know what to do with Strangetown.Everyone is related so It gets complicated as for as pairings

Everyone are not related. It's much worse with Veronaville. I'm sure there aren't any more related people in Strangetown than in Pleasantview (where the Pleasants, Burbs and Oldies are all related). The Beakers, Ajay Loner, Grunts, Specters and two of the Singles girls are not related at all to the Curious/Smith family. But then again....... Erin Singles is related to the Beakers...... And Nervous is Olive Specter's son.

Quote: Originally posted by joe_mulcahy
Brilliant! I must say that I agree with much of what you've said. I am an avid reader of Strangetown stories as well, and I must say that Nervous and Pascal do get together on their own if Nervous is present, and my attention is on Lazlo or Vidcund at any given time.

I've never tried pairing Lazlo and Erin before, but I certainly did not understand the game pairing Lazlo and Crystal though, as they have very little chemistry, while Lazlo has two bolts for Erin.

I am looking for and reading Strangetown stories every week. But I've never noticed Pascal and Nervous automatically falling in love/flirting/interacting. I would maybe turn my attention to Vid or Lazlo the next time I invite Nervous over.

As for Lazlo and Crystal...... I love them. I don't really know why but I find Crystal a very beautiful, unique sim. And very unique in both looks and personality for being a townie.....Lazlo and Crystal don't show any chemistry for each other. Maybe Maxis wanted to show us that not all couples fit into the love-at-first-sight/sweet/romantic movie category.
Do you think Crystal was just a randomly spawned townie or was she made uniquely for Lazlo???
If she was just a randomly spawned townie, why would maxis make Lazlo have a crush on her?

I cannot imagine Maxis setting up Darren Dreamer to have a crush on Sandy Bruty...... There must be more in Crystal than just a townie generator. Crystal has the totally opposite interests as Lazlo too. She is into fashion and has no interest for scifi or paranormal. Maxis clearly wanted us to show that opposites attract.

I'm actually setting up sims if I want them to be together even if the chemistry is bad. Maybe I should take more notice of chemistry......
In my game I had Crystal read about scifi after many years of being married to Lazlo and there! She was into scifi. I won't do that now though......

The Norwegian names on the characters are bad. Always ridiculous and the same goes for the Harry Potter names translated into Norwegian.

Strangetown= Snålfoss (which again means "strange falls"). What the hell? It's a desert...... No waterfalls......

The Specter family= Aandesen. Ophelia is named Ofelia in Norwegian.

The Curious family= Zelig. Pascal is named Oversan, Vidcund is named Paz and Lazlo is named Plut. :smash: It sounds really ridiculous compared to the original names.

The Smiths= Svenssen. I don't remember the first names except for Pollineringstekniker 9 which is PT 9.

The Grunts= Bang. General Buzz= General Kruttleif Bang, Tank= Cephire Bang, Ripp= ????, Buck= Bukkleif Bang.
Ridiculous!

The Beakers (I actually like the names there)= Lyse.
Circe Beaker= Anna Lyse, Loki Beaker= Khata Lyse and Nervous Subject= N.R. Voes (N.R Voes=Nervøs=Nervous in Norwegian).

I'm soooo glad that I have the opportunity to install the game in English because I don't need the stupid, childish translated names.
Instructor
#16 Old 15th Jul 2007 at 9:17 PM
Since Nightlife is the second EP released for the game, I don't think they necessarily paid any attention at all to whether couples created for the base game would actually have chemistry for each other or not -- they may not have had any idea.
#17 Old 15th Jul 2007 at 9:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joe_mulcahy
How did you get Ophelia and Tank together? In my game, they have absolutely no chemistry whatsoever. I would think your Ophelia wouldn't like Tank all that much, especially since he hammered Johnny without provocation, but again, who can understand a sim?

Thanks for the great read!
Awww thanks! Goooo Strangetown! :taekwondo

For some strange reason, Tank always brought Ophelia home as his "friend from school" on the bus so they became best friends very quickly. I had Tank reassign his turnons with that drink that comes in your inventory (I forget the name) and then they had one chemistry bolt.

I generally treat one or two bolts as good attraction and let them ultimately get together. I generally treat the max chemistry (three bolts) as lust, lol, and those couples rarely get married in my game. But then I've only had one such couple like that so far, even after setting up numerous matchmaker blind dates and paying the maximum amount. :shrug:

I am looking for and reading Strangetown stories every week. But I've never noticed Pascal and Nervous automatically falling in love/flirting/interacting. I would maybe turn my attention to Vid or Lazlo the next time I invite Nervous over.

I know a lot of people think Nervous and Pascal are meant to be since they start out as best friends (or VERY close to becoming so) and *right* after Pascal gives birth to his alien spawn, Nervous is programmed to walk past the house. If you've played each house even a little bit, you know 1) Nervous is supposed to be the abused test subject in the Beaker basement and 2) Pascal is the only person that Nervous is friendly enough with to immediately move him out and save him.

I've never had a case when Nervous and Pascal autonomously fall in love, though since I play households alphabetically to keep things in order, in my current hood Nervous was crushing on Loki before I even got to the Curious house, and then the second time around, he was engaged to Erin.

Somewhat off topic, I don't know why people think Nervous is not a good looking sim. I think he's adorable. I can't stand to give him any other hairstyle then a variation of his trademark mohawk though. :P

As for Lazlo and Crystal...... I love them. I don't really know why but I find Crystal a very beautiful, unique sim. And very unique in both looks and personality for being a townie.....Lazlo and Crystal don't show any chemistry for each other. Maybe Maxis wanted to show us that not all couples fit into the love-at-first-sight/sweet/romantic movie category.
Do you think Crystal was just a randomly spawned townie or was she made uniquely for Lazlo??? If she was just a randomly spawned townie, why would maxis make Lazlo have a crush on her?

Crystal is definitely not a random sim, Crystal was made uniquely to be a crush for Lazlo. Whether you follow that or not is up to you I think when it came time to create chemistry in Nightlife, it just turned out that they couldn't arrange every pre-existing crush and marriage from the base game to have chemistry since it's based on both turn ons and birth sign; the turn ons being randomly assigned. That's why every premade sim came with that bottle of potion to reassign them, potentially you could give Crystal and Lazlo matching turn ons and up their chemistry...or not.

I'm not a huge fan of Crystal, I don't think I've ever had Crystal and Lazlo get together. I remember the very first time I played the game I almost set up Lazlo and Chloe, not realizing they were half-siblings Usually I have the Curious brothers just busy with their science careers and their alien babies. This version of Strangetown was the first time I ever let a Curious brother (Vidcund) get married or have a baby that was not an alien. :einstein

PS: I love the Norwegian names for the Beakers, Nervous, and the Grunts. I'll probably name the next generation those names.
#18 Old 15th Jul 2007 at 10:52 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Crystal, I don't think I've ever had Crystal and Lazlo get together. I remember the very first time I played the game I almost set up Lazlo and Chloe, not realizing they were half-siblings Usually I have the Curious brothers just busy with their science careers and their alien babies. This version of Strangetown was the first time I ever let a Curious brother (Vidcund) get married or have a baby that was not an alien.

PS: I love the Norwegian names for the Beakers, Nervous, and the Grunts. I'll probably name the next generation those names.

haha... i may not use the Norwegian names for the future generation. They're too silly.

I love to have the Curious brothers interested in science and let them be geeks without any clue on how to have a relationship too but that may get boring after a while so I think I'm gonna marry off Pascal to Nervous, Vid to Circe and Lazlo to Crystal. But...... Should I move the couples on different lots? I have tried to have a multi-Curious family with Crystal, Circe and Nervous+ kids in the same house and it just ends with quarrels and the house gets too crowded. They are quarreling about the bathroom all the time. Even if I build on the house it gets too crowded.

I want the brothers to keep in touch and talk together and I want them to remain a very close family. How many money should I give Lazlo and Vid when they move out?
I want them to live in fancy, space themed (but not overly expensive houses).

My plan comes like that:
(please help me)

Pascal and Nervous+ kids will live in the Curious house.

Circe and Vid will either live in the Beaker house or move another place. Who should live in the Beaker house? Vid and Circe??? Or Loki???

And what kind of house should I give Loki if I give the Beaker mansion to Circe and Vid???

And I will move Lazlo and Crystal together.
#19 Old 16th Jul 2007 at 1:34 AM
haha... i may not use the Norwegian names for the future generation. They're too silly.

OMG, I'm so slow. I just figured out the Norwegian Beakers. Anna Lyze & Khata Lyze = analyze and catalyze. TOO funny! I probably won't use those names after all...I still like Cephire (Tank) though, I'll probably name his first child that. :P

Should I move the couples on different lots? I have tried to have a multi-Curious family with Crystal, Circe and Nervous+ kids in the same house and it just ends with quarrels and the house gets too crowded. They are quarreling about the bathroom all the time. Even if I build on the house it gets too crowded.

I want the brothers to keep in touch and talk together and I want them to remain a very close family. How many money should I give Lazlo and Vid when they move out? I want them to live in fancy, space themed (but not overly expensive houses).

My plan comes like that: (please help me)

Pascal and Nervous+ kids will live in the Curious house.

Circe and Vid will either live in the Beaker house or move another place. Who should live in the Beaker house? Vid and Circe??? Or Loki???

And what kind of house should I give Loki if I give the Beaker mansion to Circe and Vid???

And I will move Lazlo and Crystal together.
Depends on your plans with Loki, I would think. I knew that in my game Loki probably wouldn't have very many children (even before his little unplanned accident) and since Circe and Vid were in love and they each already had a kid, I let them stay in the Beaker lot because they needed the space and I like their house.

Personally I could never move Pascal out of the Curious house. If Lazlo or Pascal gets married, then Lazlo will be moving out. I like to keep everybody's relationships up as well, they call Vidcund and their sister Jenny Smith all the time.
#20 Old 16th Jul 2007 at 2:02 AM
OMG, I'm so slow. I just figured out the Norwegian Beakers. Anna Lyze & Khata Lyze = analyze and catalyze. TOO funny! I probably won't use those names after all...I still like Cephire (Tank) though, I'll probably name his first child that. :P

Depends on your plans with Loki, I would think. I knew that in my game Loki probably wouldn't have very many children (even before his little unplanned accident) and since Circe and Vid were in love and they each already had a kid, I let them stay in the Beaker lot because they needed the space and I like their house.

Personally I could never move Pascal out of the Curious house. If Lazlo or Pascal gets married, then Lazlo will be moving out. I like to keep everybody's relationships up as well, they call Vidcund and their sister Jenny Smith all the time.

I LOVE the Beaker house and the Curious house too. Pascal will never move out of the Curious house.
In my former Strangetown Loki remained in the Beaker house with 2 of his kids with Circe while Circe moved into the Curious house together with Nervous and Pascal.
I guess I will move Loki out but I don't know what I will do with him.
I love him as a sim and I love both Circe/Vidcund and Circe/Loki but I have had so many Circe/Lokis before and now I want a brand new Circe/Vidcund. And Circe/Loki works best with a scared, terrified Nervous Subject in their basement, not a strong, independent Nervous Curious. I've had that story too.....

But what shall I do with Loki?

I have a lot of ideas but I'm scared if I will regret if I'm doing it that way.

- let Olive Specter kill Loki and place the tomb in her graveyard?

- marry Loki off to someone else? But I won't let him breed..... So it may be boring. And what kind of sim would fall for Loki? It must be a unique "nerd".

- let Loki live alone and focus on his career and do some weird resources?

- delete him??? (I will regret that)
There's no way back.

- kill him and make him into a zombie???

- make him into a vampire or a werewolf???

And for the names..... I knew about the Analyze thing and I found it too funny......
Other good names for Tank's children are Miles (means "soldier" in Latin) and Hunter (a very strong, manly name). I've never had Tank have boys before......
#21 Old 16th Jul 2007 at 7:58 PM
And for the names..... I knew about the Analyze thing and I found it too funny......
Other good names for Tank's children are Miles (means "soldier" in Latin) and Hunter (a very strong, manly name). I've never had Tank have boys before......
Well, since Buzz and Bella just had twins I named them Miley (girl) and Hunter (boy), hope you approve of that. :D

I wouldn't delete Loki, because that is permanent. I hadn't planned on killing him, it just happened. If you don't want him to have kids he could be a roommate with somebody until you decide what to do with him...that way he's providing money to a household.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 16th Jul 2007 at 8:29 PM
I've never had an urge to play Maxi's made sims before and I just populated Strangetown with my own sims. But all these stories are so interesting I think I might try it. I had no idea there were actual predetermined interactions, attractions and story lines. Thanks for these insights!!
Test Subject
#23 Old 17th Jul 2007 at 12:40 AM
Default Re:Norwegian names
Everyone are not related. It's much worse with Veronaville.
The Norwegian names on the characters are bad. Always ridiculous and the same goes for the Harry Potter names translated into Norwegian.

Strangetown= Snålfoss (which again means "strange falls"). What the hell? It's a desert...... No waterfalls......

The Specter family= Aandesen. Ophelia is named Ofelia in Norwegian.

The Curious family= Zelig. Pascal is named Oversan, Vidcund is named Paz and Lazlo is named Plut. :smash: It sounds really ridiculous compared to the original names.

The Smiths= Svenssen. I don't remember the first names except for Pollineringstekniker 9 which is PT 9.

The Grunts= Bang. General Buzz= General Kruttleif Bang, Tank= Cephire Bang, Ripp= ????, Buck= Bukkleif Bang.
Ridiculous!

The Beakers (I actually like the names there)= Lyse.
Circe Beaker= Anna Lyse, Loki Beaker= Khata Lyse and Nervous Subject= N.R. Voes (N.R Voes=Nervøs=Nervous in Norwegian).

I'm soooo glad that I have the opportunity to install the game in English because I don't need the stupid, childish translated names.

Those Norwegian names are very cute! The name "Bang" certainly sounds better than "Grunt." When I first heard the name "Grunt" I thought MAXIS had created a family of Hog farmers.

The names Plut and Paz are so sweet, I might name one of the Curious children that in the future. Oversan is a rather interesting name, I may just create an doppelganger of Pascal named Oversan just to add even more variety to that already fascinating neighbourhood. I wonder how they chose the names Zelig and Aandesen though?

Have you got a Strangetown story posted somewhere, or do you know of some good Strangetown stories to read?
#24 Old 17th Jul 2007 at 9:27 PM
Well, since Buzz and Bella just had twins I named them Miley (girl) and Hunter (boy), hope you approve of that. :D

I wouldn't delete Loki, because that is permanent. I hadn't planned on killing him, it just happened. If you don't want him to have kids he could be a roommate with somebody until you decide what to do with him...that way he's providing money to a household.

hehehe.... Am I that good at naming?
Miley is cute. Never heard it before though. Will Miley be a general too? Or will she become a cutie?

And Joe Mulcahy!
The Curious brothers are all named Norwegian words just spelled differently.

Oversan Zelig= Oversanselig
Plut Zelig= Plutselig
Paz Zelig= passelig

Translated into English:

oversanselig= transcendent
Plutselig= abruptly, instant, sudden
passelig= suiting (I think)
#25 Old 18th Jul 2007 at 5:59 PM
hehehe.... Am I that good at naming?
Miley is cute. Never heard it before though. Will Miley be a general too? Or will she become a cutie?

She' (and her brother) will probably enter the career track but I don't know if they'll make general or not.

Part of the way I play is that I don't think *every* sim needs to make the top of their career ladder. Sometimes I'll purposely halt their progress because I may want one sim to be an Astronaut, and one sim to be Sous Chef. Also that way not everybody can afford to hire a maid, repairman, gardener, etc. I think it's much more realistic that way.
Page 1 of 11