Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Mar 2008 at 3:17 PM
Default Will there only be ONE city neighborhood?
I could wish there would be more neighborhoods in TS3 like it is in TS2. Both cities and small towns. I would really love that maxis did a remake of the original 3 neighborhood- Pleasantview, Strangetown and Veronaville. But I doubt they will do it. Strangetown is one of my main reasons for being THAT interested in simming. A good storyline always helps. I do atleast wish that they could have made 3 or more different cities and included Pleasantview, Strangetown and Veronaville as suburbs.
What do you think?
Advertisement
#2 Old 8th Mar 2008 at 5:18 PM
Ooh, that could be an interesting idea. If they made one city and then you could add the suburbs that you want to it. (But still a big seamless neighborhood.) I would want Pleasantview and Strangetown. Others that might not like the EAxis neighborhoods could create their own suburbs to add to it. Or they could do like you suggested and have 3 seperate cities each with their own suburb(s).
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Mar 2008 at 5:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Feenkitty
Ooh, that could be an interesting idea. If they made one city and then you could add the suburbs that you want to it. (But still a big seamless neighborhood.) I would want Pleasantview and Strangetown. Others that might not like the EAxis neighborhoods could create their own suburbs to add to it. Or they could do like you suggested and have 3 seperate cities each with their own suburb(s).

I would prefer 3 separate cities because it would be weird to have Pleasantview, Strangetown and Veronaville in the same city. Especially since Strangetown is supposed to be FAR away in the desert. I think I would prefer seeing it as not being a suburb because it gives me a "small town", isolated feeling. I would like a desert area with many small towns but not a big city for Strangetown. But otherwise I love cities and urban style
Mad Poster
#4 Old 10th Mar 2008 at 5:57 AM
What I hope that TS3 will include is a feature to set specific areas to be different types of areas within the same neighborhood. For example, you can set so and so lots to be a slum area while setting so and so lots to be an upscale area and that Sims from each different type would not be as likely to visit the other area with of course exceptions. That way you can have multiple types of areas in one neighborhood. This will go perfect for those who want a downtown area to be different than a rural area. And Sims can like/dislike Sims from such areas, etc. This will add more realism to the social awareness feature that might be included in TS3.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th Mar 2008 at 2:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by frankie
What I hope that TS3 will include is a feature to set specific areas to be different types of areas within the same neighborhood. For example, you can set so and so lots to be a slum area while setting so and so lots to be an upscale area and that Sims from each different type would not be as likely to visit the other area with of course exceptions. That way you can have multiple types of areas in one neighborhood. This will go perfect for those who want a downtown area to be different than a rural area. And Sims can like/dislike Sims from such areas, etc. This will add more realism to the social awareness feature that might be included in TS3.

YES! You're brilliant! This is exactly what I want. I'm trying to make all the rich sims in my game "enemies" with the poorer ones but that's not the way I want it to be. I want "sim classes".
Instructor
#6 Old 11th Mar 2008 at 3:58 AM
Yep "Pleasant Valley" as far as I could tell from magazine and tidbits. I guess you'll be able to construct areas within "Pleasant Valley" though - so you can have all your estates, and what not.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 11th Mar 2008 at 4:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by andru
Yep "Pleasant Valley" as far as I could tell from magazine and tidbits. I guess you'll be able to construct areas within "Pleasant Valley" though - so you can have all your estates, and what not.

So I won't be able to construct my OWN cities/neighborhoods? And there will only be one neighborhood/city?
I did read about Pleasant Valley and I'm sure it's a future Pleasantview. Why didn't they make anything that reminded me of Strangetown or Veronaville? ARGH!
Instructor
#8 Old 11th Mar 2008 at 4:04 AM
One article I did read that was linked from the main TS3 forum said that people could make thier own towns and homes and such. So hopefully they get it right and let us be able to have different types of towns in the one city- for variation like you all suggest. I actually hope they don't make too many "hoods" as I like to play all of them and too many choices make my head spin because I can never decide which hood will be my main played hood.
Theorist
#9 Old 11th Mar 2008 at 4:20 AM
Maybe the sim world can actually be made bigger than Pleasant Valley and be more like a seamless world like what Rod Humble hinted at? Then you could scroll far away from Pleasant Valley and you come to a desert...hey, there's Strangetown! That way we could even have neighborhoods intertwine like what some people wanted in The Sims 2. :D
Instructor
#10 Old 11th Mar 2008 at 4:34 AM
I think what's implied is that everything will take place in Pleasant Valley, for now at least (who knows, maybe there will be other settings, and they're just testing things out in Pleasant Valley right now). And, in Pleasant Valley you'll be able to build you're own buildings and settings - there was mention that we'll be able to upload our own buildings etc to the new Sims 3 website. Of course, I'm just speculating about what was said in the magazines.

I imagine Pleasant Valley is very big, if you look at the screenshots there seems to be a lot of open space which we may be able to build on and expand the town into, or build our own little settlements?
#11 Old 11th Mar 2008 at 4:48 AM
The summarizing of the GFW article states that there will be "modding tools" made available to create your own maps/neighborhoods.
Instructor
#12 Old 11th Mar 2008 at 4:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Furude Rika
The summarizing of the GFW article states that there will be "modding tools" made available to create your own maps/neighborhoods.

That will be awesome! I didn't read that.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 11th Mar 2008 at 4:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by psivampyr
One article I did read that was linked from the main TS3 forum said that people could make thier own towns and homes and such. So hopefully they get it right and let us be able to have different types of towns in the one city- for variation like you all suggest. I actually hope they don't make too many "hoods" as I like to play all of them and too many choices make my head spin because I can never decide which hood will be my main played hood.

So all have to play in the big city? Do we have to make neighborhoods/towns within the city???
I could wish it could be possible for simmers to build their own cities. And I don't really like the Pleasantview-bias. Will there only be one city and not 3? (like Pleasantview, Strangetown and Veronaville). Even if the cities dont't resemble them only 1 city sounds very weird.

Quote: Originally posted by andru
I think what's implied is that everything will take place in Pleasant Valley, for now at least (who knows, maybe there will be other settings, and they're just testing things out in Pleasant Valley right now). And, in Pleasant Valley you'll be able to build you're own buildings and settings - there was mention that we'll be able to upload our own buildings etc to the new Sims 3 website. Of course, I'm just speculating about what was said in the magazines.

I imagine Pleasant Valley is very big, if you look at the screenshots there seems to be a lot of open space which we may be able to build on and expand the town into, or build our own little settlements?

Maybe they are just showing us Pleasant Valley now. Before TS2 came out maxis didn't show Strangetown and Veronaville, did they?
Mad Poster
#14 Old 11th Mar 2008 at 4:57 AM
I agree that it should not only be a Pleasantview remake. Strange Town and Veronaville should at least return, or at least other cities that are similar to them. But so far the game does not look like it will be very creature-friendly and "strange" like in TS2. But it is early to tell, so we will see.
Instructor
#15 Old 11th Mar 2008 at 5:06 AM
Someone mentioned above that there will be tools made available to the community so we can create our own maps. So I guess we will be able to have our own neighborhoods independent of Pleasant Valley, like Strangetown and Veronaville are independent of one another in Sims 2.

Of course no one knows whether there will be any additional neighborhoods in the base game yet, we only know about Pleasant Valley. I imagine we'll be able to build our own things in Pleasant Valley though so even if there isn't any additional areas we can expand on the existing city.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#16 Old 11th Mar 2008 at 5:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by frankie
I agree that it should not only be a Pleasantview remake. Strange Town and Veronaville should at least return, or at least other cities that are similar to them. But so far the game does not look like it will be very creature-friendly and "strange" like in TS2. But it is early to tell, so we will see.

Yes. How do you think most people would react if only Strangetown was remade?
I also think the game pics lacked strangeness. But when I saw TS2 pics before it was released I didn't see much strange either. No alien abduction or Strangetown. I hope things like alien abductions, social bunnies, therapist and grim reaper will continue!
Instructor
#17 Old 11th Mar 2008 at 5:14 AM
The first Sims 2 pictures were pretty much like these, very vague. There wasn't much you could detect from them at all - just Sims doing daily activities lol.

At this time I don't think they want to give too much away. I think the first game play videos will be the true representation of things to come. I can't wait!
Mad Poster
#18 Old 11th Mar 2008 at 5:23 AM
That's true. I guess we will be seeing the strangeness in the coming months. Strangeness was very successful in TS2 so I wouldn't see why they would omit it in TS3. Plus, as much as I like Pleasantview, I hope that there will be more towns to play in that are of hugely different types. Not everyone wants the stereotypical suburb. Some want a strange type of town.
Test Subject
#19 Old 13th Mar 2008 at 4:02 PM
I'd like to agree with frankie. If I recall correctly, the main focus of the info about ts2 was mainly about genetics. So it doesn't surprise me they focus on the seamless world in ts3 now. It's probably one of the main features compared to ts2, but I suspect there's a lot more going on!

Personally, I love the seamless world idea. My sim families can be more interactive with other sims and perhaps this makes the "subhoods" a merged part of the neighborhood. And best of all no more loading screens! They really get on my nerves everytime my sims make an outing, it takes forever!
Inventor
#20 Old 13th Mar 2008 at 4:08 PM
I'm sure they'll make more neighborhoods in later expansions. Plus, it would be ridiculous if you couldn't make your own! So that's always something to look forward to.
Test Subject
#21 Old 13th Mar 2008 at 4:19 PM
You're right, annachibi, it would be ridiculous if you couldn't make your own neighborhoods. They're always saying that the sims are about creativity, so it would be strange if they would take away that piece of customizing. And knowing the sims franchise, they'll definitely keep coming with expansions we desperately need/want ;-)
Forum Resident
#22 Old 13th Mar 2008 at 4:27 PM
It was said in the article that the base game will ship with only 1 town - Pleasant View.
I don't mind.
#23 Old 13th Mar 2008 at 7:25 PM
Hmmm, from the article in the British magazine I got the idea that the Maxoids were painfully aware that players wanted full control of their own hoods, that's why they weren't bothering with a multiplayer mode. They are making one default hood so we'll all have something in common to talk about, but we can pretty much decided the rest for ourselves.

As for ts2 screenies back in 2004... Yes, there were screens from Strangetown, but not until right before the game was released. The very early pictures were from a hood named Riverside, that was supposed to have shipped with the game. They showed that girl and boy kissing by the window, the family playing video games and the fight at the party (where much more than 8 guests very present). I suppose they thought Riverside was a bit too much like Pleasantview and scrapped it for Veronaville. Many of the Sims seen in those early pictures never made it to the game, Don's original wife Sara, for instance. There is no trace of her. For now they'll probably just show us random Sims that have no real connection to the known storylines, and as the day of release approaches (please let it be 2009) they may drop more information about our loved ones. :D
Mad Poster
#24 Old 13th Mar 2008 at 9:10 PM
It's called Pleasant Valley actually... the new 'hood. As for new destinations such as vacation and all that, I wonder how it will work this time with the whole seamless style. I mean, since everyone ages now and things are always happening around us, it makes for taking a vacation difficult. I am so curious as to how this would work.
Field Researcher
#25 Old 13th Mar 2008 at 9:17 PM
WELL, if it actually is only one neighborhood, then more power to them. If you want it to be Strangetown, then make it Strangetown. If you want Veronaville, then make it that. It really isn't all too difficult, just a few fiddles with the families and you have a preset plot throughout the neighborhood. I like this idea, it will really show our creativity. :]
Page 1 of 2