Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 8:50 PM
Default Useful info - Gem cuts
I *think* I did my math right. Basically I was trying to figure out which cut is most profitable at different gem values. Here's a simple guide I made. Feel free to check my math. The numbers I used are based off of info from the Prima Guide.

This is useful for when you have unlocked all of the gem cuts.

If your gem is originally worth 40 and below - do not cut your gems
No Emerald cuts
41 through 60 = Oval cut
No Pear cut
61 through 83 = Plumbob cut
No Marquis cut
84 through 166= Crystalball cut
167 through 499 = Brilliant cut
500 and above = Heart cut

Also, only smelt Gold, Palladium, and Plutonium. Iron and Silver are always worth less than the $40 smelting fee.

Hope this helps!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 9:09 PM
I love the crystall ball cut; it makes really nice decoration. I usually cut my gems in that shape if they are of any value, otherwise I just sell them without cutting.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 9:19 PM
Blue topaz, Smoky Quartz, Rubies, and Emeralds are always worth less than 40 so unless you just want them for decoration, sell them.

This little cheat sheet is only profit based, since I have a Sim whose existence relies on things she finds/grows/fishes up! She doesn't have any gems in her home, they get sold right away.

But I agree, they do make very pretty decorations. It's a fun addition from the other sims games.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 12:53 AM
Where do you sell them at? I have a coffee table full of them and another full of gold and silver bars.
Inventor
#5 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 12:57 AM
You just drag them to the sell box in your personal inventory.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 1:23 AM
I just go into buy mode and click on them and delete them - that pays you their worth
Test Subject
#7 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 3:08 AM
how do you get different cuts? I only get emerald cut
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 5:04 AM
You'll get more after Emerald. You have to cut 4 Emerald gems before Oval is unlocked.

Oval - after 4 cuts total
Pear - after 8 cuts total
Plumbbob - after 16
Marquis - after 30
Crystalball- after 45
Brilliant - after 60
Heart - after you've found all types of gems. I don't even have this unlocked yet and I've spent hours and hours gathering. Just unlucky I suppose!
Test Subject
#9 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 1:44 PM
While the lower value gems may not sell for much, if you haven't unlocked the other cuts for that sim (because it is per sim) I am having them send off the cheap ones to build that up. Once I get the higher cuts then I will send off the really nice gems
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 3:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Talamaine
While the lower value gems may not sell for much, if you haven't unlocked the other cuts for that sim (because it is per sim) I am having them send off the cheap ones to build that up. Once I get the higher cuts then I will send off the really nice gems

That's exactly what I did. I was sending off worthless Blue ones because unlocking the high cuts is very profitable so you'll pretty quickly make your money back. I have some Rainbow gems I'm holding onto right now for when I get the Heart cut unlocked.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 3:32 PM
COOL! Thank you for the info! I was wondering what the scale up in levels was. *gleefully leaps off to gather yet more*

Let's face it, I KNOW I've been at this too long when successfully importing a new skin texture or a new model puts me in a real life Platinum Mood!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 5:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Elfmaid
COOL! Thank you for the info! I was wondering what the scale up in levels was. *gleefully leaps off to gather yet more*

Glad to help It's addicting, haha. It's like a game in itself.
Test Subject
#13 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 5:47 PM
Thanks for the info! I had no idea the whole gem part of the play was so extensive.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 9:34 PM
Okay , going to ask a newbie question!!! ^_^ Havent gotten used to all the aspects of the game... I read this thread, and tried looking in the strategy guide for info about the Gems etc... didnt see anything o.O;;;

so thought I would ask a silly question, and ask if anyone can explain this part of the game to me XD lol, how/where do i find gems ? o.O; where do i take them to get cut?

and while i'm at it, if its any easier is there a link/website/strategy guide page reference anyone knows of that can share so i can go look up a bit myself?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 9:51 PM
They're all over on the ground. They have set spawn locations, so once you find one somewhere, if you come back later you can find more. They tend to be near big rocks and stuff. In Sunset Valley there are some along the beach, particularly near the cliffs by the big houses (the Crumplebottoms etc). And there are always some by the graveyard and by the fishing pools.

The collection helper lifetime reward helps a LOT in getting to know their spawn points.

In the Prima strategy guide there's a bunch of info as well as a map of Sunset Valley with some big gem spawn points on pages 192-197.

You get them cut by clicking on them in your inventory. Your Sim will just go to the mailbox and you'll have them back when the mail person comes the next morning.

If there's anything else you specifically want to know, feel free to ask. I'm no expert but I'll help as best I can
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 12:50 AM
Heavenzdvl987..... Thank you so much for the info!!! ^_^ lol I had no idea about that part of the game! ^_^ I'll take a look at the areas you mentioned, and reference back to those pages in the strategy guide =) thanks!
Test Subject
#17 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 10:42 AM
Any cheats for getting gems without needing to search the whole town?
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 11:34 AM
No cheats that I know of, The Simmer, but if you save up enough happiness points for the Collection Helper (it's one of the more expensive items, I think about 35,000) then you get markers on the map which direct you to where gems, butterflies, bugs and fish are. It's a very useful item.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 9:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by elly001
No cheats that I know of, The Simmer, but if you save up enough happiness points for the Collection Helper (it's one of the more expensive items, I think about 35,000) then you get markers on the map which direct you to where gems, butterflies, bugs and fish are. It's a very useful item.

I just use that with the game paused. I've collected enough I roughly know which upper left icons are worth having my Sim collect and which aren't (blue gem = no thanks), so I just search the town myself. Yes, it's a bit tedious, but certainly less time consuming than waiting for 1 in game hour for my Sim to drive to wherever and then run on foot for half an hour down the beach :P
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 6:29 PM
Does anyone have a list of ALL the diff gem types? The only one that i have found so ffarr that i would consider "rare" Is the pink Diamond.
Field Researcher
#21 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 6:36 PM
There are:

Blue Topaz
Smoky Quartz
Ruby
Emerald
Diamond
Luminorous Gem
Yellow Sapphire
Tanzanite
Rainbow Gem
Pink Diamond

I think this is all of them. The only one I haven't found any of yet is the pink diamond, and I have only found 2 rainbow gems.
Field Researcher
#22 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 8:03 PM
I found a bunch of rainbow gems from exploring the catacombs, myself.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#23 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 8:07 PM
Woo, thanks for the bumps
and maven is right, I believe those are all the gems. The Prima Guide has the wrong info - for instance, it says Aqua instead of Blue. I guess that got changed last minute.
Field Researcher
#24 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 8:09 PM
Isn't the Prima Guide so reknowned for being obsolete on the day of publishing that it's become a running community joke?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#25 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 8:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Birgitte Heuschkel
Isn't the Prima Guide so reknowned for being obsolete on the day of publishing that it's become a running community joke?

True. And I can't believe it still doesn't have an index. C'mon now, I don't think any of us really think it's fun to spend <5 minutes every time we want to look something in particular up. And who really reads the thing cover to cover?
Page 1 of 2