Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Locked thread | Replies: 105 (Who?), Viewed: 27549 times. | Locked by: HystericalParoxysm Reason: See stickied opinions thread.
Page 1 of 5
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 12:55 AM
Default What's your opinion on TS3?
Here we go then, this is my first proper forum thread!
I just want to provoke a bit of a discussion/debate here....

What do you think of The Sims 3?

I know thats a pretty vague question but I'm targeting specifically at the new features such as Create-A-Style and the whole Rabbit Hole thing.

Go nuts! Include an out of 10 rating?
I give the game 9.5
Personally I really don't like how some of the objects are carbon copies of The Sims 2. However, I love the game and I think that the developers have done an awesome job!! Favorite part: Being able to centre objects without cheats xD

LiamHeartsTheSims

http://www.youtube.com/user/LiamHeartsTheSims

Hmm, I think that today I will get some grilled cheese, pee in the store and complain loudly about my light fittings.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 1:05 AM
As far as games go in general, I'd give this game a 9/10. For a sims game, I'd give it an 8.

It's really not as bad as everyone is saying. I really like the game. Many new things that can keep someone even further addicted. CAS is better in my opinion, the neighborhood is good, the revamping of jobs and skills is great, etc. What brings it down are the numerous "little things" that make it seem as if EA either rushed the game or is ripping us off, such as the slow time flow and the limited selection of objects.

If you were a Sim, would anybody want to play you?
Test Subject
#3 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 1:16 AM
My take is pretty mixed, to be honest. Sure, I skipped work repeatedly now just to play TS3. And spent like three days poking through packages and game files with the early modding tools, Milkshape, DDS converters and a plain old hex editor.

So TS3 is addictive and many of the new features and possibilities are quite intriguing. Especially if you think about how this can (and will be!) modded eventually.

On the other hand: Without all the custom content available for TS2 (and the possibilities which *that* offered) TS3 - to me - now feels like just "half a game". But one with great possibilities once all the creative folks here (and wherever else) have the shiny tools to unleash their creativity.

But ... despite my reserved enthusiasm I can't stop playing. :p
Test Subject
#4 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 1:30 AM
Default what do i think of sims3.
i have had the game since it came out. love the game ! dislike many of the objects and paterns, cant wait for beter ones to come out. i have downloaded ms3 skins would like better eyes and hair, that would be a great improvement. i have also downloaded mts 3 patterns when avalible, hope for more soon. i rate the game a 9 but i am sure it will get better with custom content and expansion paks i know will come hope one of them is weather i really miss that.
Inventor
#5 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 1:36 AM
I rate the game 9 out of 10. I also want better eyes and more hair options. But I'm torn on whether there should be weather added. The weather added in TS2 was neat at first but then became annoying for me soon after whenever I wanted my sim to do outdoor activities and there would always be a lightning storm or one would appear not long after he went outside. I think EA thought it would be funny that the characters were getting struck by lightning all the time but that got old quick. So unless they make the weather more real with giving some more days where you can actually spend them outdoors, then I don't want weather. All the sims I've been creating have the loves outdoors trait and it would suck if they couldn't go outside.
Test Subject
#6 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 1:45 AM
Default I like it
I only don't play when I'm trying to keep control of my day. However the tendency of Sims doing stupid things like, having a family they don't even know move in with them in a house way too small is annoying.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 1:49 AM
I really like story progression. Yeah, it's a little bit flawed at the moment but hopefully that'll get fixed. I just love the seamless town - it's so much better. No loading screens is brilliant. Stellar.

I really enjoy getting to choose how my sims will perform at work or school - one of my sims is basically a spoilt bitch. She's an heiress party animal who's social etc so whenever she was at school, I had her take it easy or talk to/meet new friends. It's great because you get to really feel characters.

Loving traits, too, and I don't see why everyone hates the way sims look. I've had several realistic sims. Perhaps not all of them are beautiful or handsome but they do all look real.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 1:50 AM
I'm quite taken with it, it really is quite different to TS2. I dont like not being able to see what my sims are doing in most buildings, but i don't have the speed problem, I think i'd have a major problem with that if I did tho
I like the way they've added some things from TS2 eps, like the gardening, nice touch, and I like that the interactions progress and are relevent to their traits - am loving the traits!
I do miss TS2 though, the only reason I'm playing 3 is the loading times, it's just rapid compaired to TS2, I could go for a pee and make a brew and a sandwich waiting on that loading! But on the whole I'm enjoying the game and would give it an 8/10

As lazy as a rug on vallium
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 2:01 AM
So far looks like EA should have called the game The Sims 2.5

Not quite a sequel. Maybe thats why its technically a prequel in the game chronology.

Has a great base for modding and expanding.

LiamHeartsTheSims

http://www.youtube.com/user/LiamHeartsTheSims

Hmm, I think that today I will get some grilled cheese, pee in the store and complain loudly about my light fittings.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 2:08 AM
I agree with those who say it's not a complete sequel. It definately looks and plays like Sims 2.5, and some of the bugs date back to Sims 1 and Sims 2 core game, which is just weird.

That aside, the game sucks or rather, it's heavily broken. I couldn't even play it in it's original form without hacking the damned thing to death. Now that I have it working more or less to my liking, however, I find myself actually enjoying The Sims 3.

I just find it very, very, very odd that it should take third party addons to make the game work properly... it's absolutely ludicrous, and a fine example of substandard products being shipped out for the sole purpouse of making money.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 2:13 AM
Can someone explain to me what the big deal is over story progression?

Test Subject
#12 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 2:52 AM
I give the game a 9. Would have been a 10 if we did not have rabbit holes, no animation getting into cars.

A Sims 3 Social Site !
http://www.simaroo.com
Test Subject
#13 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 2:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCF
Can someone explain to me what the big deal is over story progression?

People who like to play multiple families at a time are upset with the story progression. Should not affect you if you only play one family like I do.

A Sims 3 Social Site !
http://www.simaroo.com
Instructor
#14 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 3:08 AM
Overall, I think it has a lot of potential. I give it 7/10.

Things I like: Create-a-Style; half-grid; personality traits; open neighbourhood

Things I dislike: lack of items, particularly in the kids category; cartoony looking Sims (although they do look a lot better than vanilla TS2 Sims); swaddled babies; the way genetics works (or doesn't, as the case may be)

I miss a lot of things that were added in TS2 EPs, such as weather, pets, and certain build options (eg. stages), and really hope they get added in future. I also can't wait till the community has the tools for creating CC.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 3:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simar0o
People who like to play multiple families at a time are upset with the story progression. Should not affect you if you only play one family like I do.

Ah I see. Yeah I only play one family at a time.

Test Subject
#16 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 3:57 AM
I give it a 9.5/10. I love basically everything about it. The only thing that brings it down for me is when I put it into windowed mode and it goes choppy and squished. I also don't like how there's no weather, but I'm guessing that'll be added in an EP. =P

I miss CC too, but I'll wait patiently for that. I wish I still had all my wallpapers, hairs, beds, etc. =[
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 4:06 AM
Now that I'm learning more about the game (despite having the Prima guide but being too excited about the game to do more than skim through it, lol), I'm liking it a lot. One dumb thing I did (would have been solved if I read the book!) was giving all of my families different save files and then wondering why there weren't there. Oops. After I figured that one out, I was doing pretty good.

One little thing that I LOVE LOVE LOVE is when you go to the map and want to visit another sim, if they are not home it will tell you exactly where they are. I wanted my David sim to meet my Kyrie sim and it told me she was at the park, now they've met and it didn't take forever to find each other.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 12:38 PM
I don't see how anyone can objectively love *everything* about this game when it's full of bugs.

I agree with girlfromverona who says the game has the POTENTIAL for greatness, but that potential is certainly not completely fulfilled in this game, and we shouldn't have to count on third party hacks to play the game.
Inventor
#19 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 1:11 PM
I love everything that is in the game that works right. There are bugs but then there were bugs in Sims 2 even after getting all the expansion and stuff packs for it that never got fixed so far and I still enjoyed playing Sims 2 anyway, just as I'm enjoying Sims 3. There are plenty of things to discover in Sims 3 that will not take you just a day to find out, I've been playing since the day after the game came out and still find lots of surprises every time I play it.
Instructor
#20 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 1:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by guardianpegasus
we shouldn't have to count on third party hacks to play the game.

Other than the story progression workaround from EA, I have no hacks and play just fine. Which hacks are you deeming "required to play"?
Mad Poster
#21 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 1:27 PM
I really like the game, it has taken up most of my time since it came out here on Friday. For me it's the little things that have been improved, like careers, and the addition of things, like opportunities, that make it so good, it seems far more realistic. The only thing that annoys me is that there is barely any difference between the three speeds, and so I'm not progressing very quickly.

I tend to only play one or two families at a time, and I really like that all the sims will age and get on with stuff without your input, so broken story progression doesn't really bother me. That was something that I always wished would happen in S2, I had families with loads of kids and I didn't want to play all of them but didn't want them alive forever.

The only bug that I've encountered so far is that the first kid I had in-game lost one of her traits, so now as a young adult she only has four traits, when she should have five, but oh well.
Inventor
#22 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 1:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_flel
The only bug that I've encountered so far is that the first kid I had in-game lost one of her traits, so now as a young adult she only has four traits, when she should have five, but oh well.

You should be able to fix that with the traits changer reward. Just save up lifetime happiness points and buy it. I used it to change 2 of the traits for a sim that married one of my created sims.
Test Subject
#23 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 1:32 PM
I just feel like the Sims themselves have jumped back in time a bit. When I see them, it reminds me of the first Sims...when you didn't have a lot of variety! No matter how different I try to make these Sims, they all end up looking the same!
Sims 2 had better Sim-variety (genetics-wise). And the babies are swaddled like they were in Sims 1. I mean, I thought we would get more things to do with the babies and toddlers in the new game! How cute would it be if you could walk them around town in a stroller? I guess I have to wait for expansion packs to see if I get any of that!

I love that you get to play in the town though, I have so much fun sending my Sims to do all kinds of things! I will keep playing it, I think I just need to warm up more to it.
Test Subject
#24 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 4:51 PM
You know what?

I'm giving it a 10.

I refuse to give my opinion based on Sims-3-compared-to-Sims-2 rather than just Sims 3. By my point of view, Sims 3 is an engaging game that I rush home from school every day to play. It gives me hours of entertainment, makes me laugh and isn't buggy for me at all. In fact, it's pretty much perfectly well-behaved. Maybe there are a few serious bugs, but they haven't come up for me- or, at least, I haven't noticed them.

Even the apparent speed issue doesn't bother me that much. While my sims sleep or at work, I explore the town for seeds and metals and stuff or read the Prima guide. And I, personally, adore the way the sims look. (: Sometimes they look a bit fat, but generally I think their faces are cute. Also, there are no horrifically ugly sims. I'd never seen a person in real life look like that face plate on the Sims 2 that had the massive face and gigantic lips. Maybe they looked different, but often ridiculous.

Buut I'm rambling. xD So, 10- mainly because I'm enjoying this game much more than I enjoyed Sims 2 toward the end.
Alchemist
#25 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 5:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by guardianpegasus
I don't see how anyone can objectively love *everything* about this game when it's full of bugs.

I agree with girlfromverona who says the game has the POTENTIAL for greatness, but that potential is certainly not completely fulfilled in this game, and we shouldn't have to count on third party hacks to play the game.

all of us aren't playing a game "full of bugs". I know I'm not
Locked thread | Locked by: HystericalParoxysm Reason: See stickied opinions thread.
Page 1 of 5