Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 3:40 PM
Default Things you DON'T miss from TS2
Anything you are relieved to NOT see some things in the game? I am.

#1. Whatever AI made NPCs start fighting all the time. Every now and then was kind of funny, but sometimes I got tired of being somewhere really classy and there are two sims acting like Jerry Springer guests, beating the stuffing out of each other. I think what happened was that friendly sims did NOT figure out that an unfriendly sim wasn't into socializing. The S3 sims seem smart enough to steer clear of sims that don't want to be bothered.

#2. The "peeping tom" thing with the telescope. I HATED that my sim would autonomously use the telescope in the daytime and have a random sim come over and slap him. I didn't like the implication that the sim I was playing was a perveted creep.

#3. The champagne sim trap. Once you got champagne the sims would toast over and over and over until they wet their pants. I don't think I ever saw a hack or patch to fix it.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 3:46 PM
The number one thing I do not miss: Aspiration Failure.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 3:54 PM
I don't miss the random pirate chanting from Bon Voyage, and I also don't miss how everyone always fought in TS2.

I also don't miss having to water the flowers. The gardening is one thing, but I like that we don't have to water just the flowers
Forum Resident
#4 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 4:04 PM
I'm glad we now have a much more lenient social service. No more social worker snatching children if you leave them home alone, even just for a second. Much more freedom for children this way.

Definitely not missing the repetitive annoying interactions either, such as pillowfights and checking the weather every three seconds. Although some other sim-addiction things have been added. My sims are obsessed with sprinklers..
Test Subject
#5 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 4:14 PM
No ones mentioned loading screens yet?!
Field Researcher
#6 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 4:17 PM
I don't miss how how Sims 2, the Sims' actions would get canceled if they just got blocked once. I like how Sims 3 Sims persist when someone is in their way, for example, they don't just throw up their hands and give up.

Also, I like that we don't have to cancel previous actions in Sims 3. I had to get my baby to first stop playing with its toy before its mother could pick it up. Now it will scoot away by itself when its mom comes to pick it up.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 4:18 PM
I"m glad that sims don't say that there's something in their way as much. The only time that happened to me so far is when I told my sim to put a book away and it was sitting right in front of the book shelf and he picked it up, he went "there's something in my way!" and put it down on the other side of the room. But other than that there hasn't been much of it.

I also like how the toddler thing works now. It's so much easier. Now, instead of the parents canceling the action if the toddler was doing something they just wait for them to stop and I just like the entire toddler interaction thing a whole lot better.
Test Subject
#8 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 4:38 PM
Loading screens! (There, someone said it )
How they'd be bursting to use a toilet and would just stand there, WAVE and go "Yoo hoo!" at me! At least now they get on with things.
WHY has no one mentioned that toddlers are now NOT obsessed with splashing around in toilets?!

I don't get the obsession with sprinklers either...
Test Subject
#9 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 4:46 PM
I like how now when you change nappies, its quick and easy and no dirty nappies on the floor everywhere. You also don't need the fridge to feed them anymore.

At first I missed that but I don't now, it gives more time to do other things.
Instructor
#10 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 4:48 PM
We're loading screens that much of an issue? I never realized it. Mine were only a few seconds at best.

I miss EVERYTHING from the Sims 2. Even the annoying things, which is why I'm going back to it. I can't take the Sims 3.

My sims on the Sims 3 still waved their hand and complained that they couldn't move somewhere or talk to someone because something was in the way. The kids are missing the realism and that is a big issue for me.
transmogrified
retired moderator
#11 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 4:51 PM
I don't miss playing "find the homework on the floor."
Instructor
#12 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 4:55 PM
I got the desk claimer hack - it's great. The sim kids come home and put their homework on the desk that they claimed, doing it there like the college kids do. It's awesome.
Instructor
#13 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 5:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mangaroo
I don't miss playing "find the homework on the floor."

So agree, one time my sims never did find the homework and if you have multiple kids you will always pick the other kids homework first and find the one you wanted last. Ugh.

I never had much of an issue with the loading screens.

I despised their AI and how they couldn't walk around things and their constant obsession with checking the weather and the "oooh look its raining"...5 minutes later "ooh look its raining" and so on...

I still feel like running to my sims 2 collection and hugging it though

^_^
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 5:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ladyhawke976
We're loading screens that much of an issue? I never realized it. Mine were only a few seconds at best.

You either have a beast of a rig, very little CC, or only a few expacks installed. My computer is by no means a lightweight, but with all the expansion packs and a couple gigs of CC, it became a 10 minute initial load time, 5 minutes to get into a neighborhood, 5 minutes to get into CAS, and 3-5 minutes to load a house. Community lots were 3-5 minutes of loading time too. So if I wanted to make a family, move them in, and then send them to a community lot for whatever reason, I would be looking at 26 minutes minimum of loading time. I got lucky; some people have loading times twice that long.

That said!

The things I absolutely don't miss in any capacity:

--Sims autonomously making meals when there are tons of leftovers in the fridge.
--All the stupid hobby wants clogging up the stupid want bar. If you wanted to get rid of them, you had to fulfill them, and then they'd just get replaced by another stupid hobby want.
--The way radios worked. If it wasn't on, they'd turn it on, but it would always default to Latin and I would have to go change it manually. The fun it gave was also never enough to justify the energy lost from dancing. Ugh.
--Driveways that must sit like 20 miles back on the lot.
Scholar
Original Poster
#15 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 5:19 PM
Thought of another one. While the "mandatory family leave" ticks me off, I do like how pregnant TS3 sims aren't constantly on the verge of dropping dead. I hated how the hunger/toilet/energy bars would tank and if I wasn't very careful, I'd get in the awful loop of

"I'm starving to death. I'm too tired to eat. I fall asleep in my food and keep starving to death. Wake me up, I will whine about hunger for so long that I pass out again and keep starving to death."
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 5:26 PM
I don't miss all the godawful non-creative sims performing for hours on end >_<
Inventor
#17 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 5:30 PM
Whiny hungry Sims that stand around 2 hours whining at me instead of getting themselves a damn meal... and when they finaly do make it to the fridge they just stuff their face.

The Grumpy Old Gamer's Blog

~Life is like a box of chocolates, just when you're enjoying it, you choke on it.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 6:51 PM
I actually miss the weather aspect and them checking the weather. I guess it is just me and from growing up in the country where we would constantly check to see if it was snowing yet during the winter or raining in the spring; nostalgia I guess. Is there even weather in TS3 yet? I love the transitions of sunrise to sunset with the movement of shadows and what not, but I've not noticed any weather, but I sure hope they bring it back if it is not included in base.

However, I do not miss all the random pillow fights, water balloon fights, and a few other things I am sure. The more I think about this thread, the more I realize that I miss a lot about TS2 and can only hope that some of the things are ported over to TS3 because this base has huge potential.
Scholar
#19 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 6:58 PM
"What's this?"
"It's snowing!"
Playing in the bathtub
Kickybag in the house
Pillowfights in the middle of the street.
The influence meter and system
Cow Mascots and Cheerleaders
Pranks
Washing dishes in the bathroom sink
Goopy and all the other hideously dressed Townies
Bella Goth
Stray dogs digging holes and pissing on my lawn.
Flooded basements in Veronaville
985 765 678 490 memories clogging up my game and causing havok
20 minute loading times (and I have a good computer)
All the bugs and annoyances that EA never got around to fixing.

How could I forget: Water balloon fights in the middle of winter.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 7:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CatherineSimmer
The number one thing I do not miss: Aspiration Failure.

it was funny when they went into aspiration failure I liked the lampshade dance

I don't miss loading times thats for sure. 15 minutes to start the game, 3-5 minutes to load my family. Although it was my own fault for having so much cc, I wouldn't have liked the game otherwise.

Fug townies. The ts3 pudgy dollies have nothing on those monkey faces. Even with a custom clean hood they somehow still managed to sneak their way in.

university. god I hated that expansion so much but I loved the objects that game with it.

I kinda miss pets but on the other hand I'm glad we don't have them. With the pathing the way it is, its hard enough getting sims to do stuff sometimes without adding pets to get in the way all the time.
Scholar
Original Poster
#21 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 7:06 PM
Quote:
Goopy and all the other hideously dressed Townies

I seriously miss Goopy and the gang. I was hoping that someone from EA would remember all the obsessions many people have over some of the more popular townies and easter egg a few in.

I found a Goopy on MATY, but I'd like to make a house of 8 TS2 townies so that they can run around in the new town. I don't care about the stupid plot continuity. I want my Goopy back.
Test Subject
#22 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 7:14 PM
I know most people miss this aspect, but I do not miss the memories. I am much happier with how this game works. I am especially a fan of how a sim can be pregnant and do other things than sleep/eat/use the bathroom. It really makes the game a lot funner. I also like how having an infant doesn't consume your time.

It might just be me, but the lifetime wish points fill up quite easily. So far I've got the steel bladder, and fertility option. Love them!
Test Subject
#23 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 7:46 PM
Loading screens.

Having to play all my families for 3 days at a time so they all age at the same time.

Families being static when I'm not playing them. I like the storybook mode, contrary to the popular opinion. It's only annoying that new children seem to only have one parent...

Being forced to go out and buy groceries or have them delivered. That was horribly annoying.

Random fighting. My Sims never took part, but it was pretty grating to visit a community lot and have to deal with the slowdown of a picture-in-picture of a fight every 5 minutes (Sim-time).

the curious that wander are my prey
they come rolling in to be the heart of my sin
-take their souls and put them in their graves-
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 7:51 PM
well i dont miss my sims almost dying because they had a plate left in front of the fridge. no matter how many times i told them to pick up the plate and throw it away. they would not .and they would just whine and complain that they were hungry and there bars would go into the red. finally i just moved the stupied fridge to the living room. But i was like this is so uncalled for , just throw it away and eat!!!!!
Test Subject
#25 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 8:00 PM
one thing I don't miss:

Loading Screens every 2 seconds.
Page 1 of 12