Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Captain Louie
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 6:24 PM Last edited by QBUILDERZ : 4th Jul 2009 at 6:19 PM.
Default Tutorial - How to Create Split Levels With and Without Warped Walls - Video Now Available, July 4th
This thread has a tutorial for both warped walls split levels and split levels that have no warped walls

For instructions see the pictures, they are named in the order
they should be read. If there are any questions please don't
hesitate to ask, I have tried to make things as clear as possible.
Each one of the methods has it's own benefits and drawbacks, but
both accomplish the same thing.

FOR NON-WARPED WALLS
Step 1
Step 2
Step 3
Step 4
Step 5
Step 6
Step 7
Step 8a
Step 9a
Step 10a
Step 11a
Step 12a

Benefits - No slant, easy to work with
Drawbacks - Needs a front porch to work, can't place windows properly

FOR WARPED WALLS
Step 1
Step 2
Step 3
Step 4
Step 5
Step 6
Step 7
Step 8b
Step 9b
Step 10b
Step 11b

Benefits - Can place windows, no porch needed to enter
Drawbacks - Slant, harder to work around/with.

Youtube Video Now Up!
Is right here
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  No Warped Walls Split Level.zip (1.77 MB, 3019 downloads) - View custom content
Description: All the steps for the tutorial that result with no warped walls - Any picture tagged with an "A" is for this tutorial
File Type: zip  Warped Walls Split Level.zip (1.54 MB, 1887 downloads) - View custom content
Description: All the steps for the tutorial that result with warped walls - Any picture tagged with an "B" is for this tutorial

Now streaming on at Twitch.tv/SeveralNerds or UglyHoesConnect.com - whichever is easier for you to type in your browser.
51 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 6:38 PM
Great tutorial Qbuilderz! Between this one and Beefysim1's one that you mention it's giving me some interesting ideas I need to go play with
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 7:52 PM
Thank you so much Qbuilderz!
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 2:45 AM
Very intriguing, I shall have to do some experiments!
Instructor
#5 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 5:52 AM
Great tutorial. Thanks!
Wiki Wizard
#6 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 8:30 PM
Super Duper Q! Well done, this is so useful, i myself need to learn this and the pictures are perfect!

It's ok, we all laugh-snort occasionally!
Check out some of my other stuff here.
Scholar
#7 Old 28th Jun 2009 at 11:58 AM
Its a great addition to the game.Thank you so much for sharing this with us.Big hugs.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 28th Jun 2009 at 2:18 PM
Thanks very much. I have been applying TS2 techniques to building and making myself so frustrated. Your info is good to know!

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Captain Louie
retired moderator
Original Poster
#9 Old 29th Jun 2009 at 4:16 PM
Thanks guys for the positive feedback, I am surprised no questions have spung up yet! I hope to see some killer split level houses soon

Now streaming on at Twitch.tv/SeveralNerds or UglyHoesConnect.com - whichever is easier for you to type in your browser.
Instructor
#10 Old 30th Jun 2009 at 9:41 AM
I tried to make split levels with non-warped walls myself...didn't work. So Thanks very very very much!
Test Subject
#11 Old 4th Jul 2009 at 6:40 AM
thanks for the guide.

is it somehow possible to get the smaller wall on top of the larger one?
Captain Louie
retired moderator
Original Poster
#12 Old 4th Jul 2009 at 5:38 PM
No, if there was then the house couldn't be a split level on the bottom, it would be a split level on the second/third floor instead. If there is a demand for it I can make another tutorial on how to make split levels on floors other than the base level, but it requires a bit more than basic knowledge of CFE and math :D

Test Subject
#13 Old 11th Jul 2009 at 2:25 AM
Can you build more stories onto this house? i followed your tutorial but built a three story house and my tester sim can not access the higher floors via steps and they walk to the elevated floor like if they were walking on even ground. please help because i really love this house and would like to save it if possible.
Captain Louie
retired moderator
Original Poster
#14 Old 11th Jul 2009 at 4:15 PM
Hmm, this is really weird indeed. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

They shouldn't be walking through it in the first place, as the game would still notice the deck. As for being able to access higher floors, make sure your stairs aren't blocked or anything.

Test Subject
#15 Old 13th Aug 2009 at 5:42 AM
Thank you~!
Test Subject
#16 Old 22nd Aug 2009 at 1:36 PM
thank u! i love split-level houses, can't wait to try it
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 29th Aug 2009 at 6:04 AM
wow thanks for the great work! and i love your other guides
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 29th Aug 2009 at 6:06 AM
Default i haven't had that problem
Quote: Originally posted by angel4decale
Can you build more stories onto this house? i followed your tutorial but built a three story house and my tester sim can not access the higher floors via steps and they walk to the elevated floor like if they were walking on even ground. please help because i really love this house and would like to save it if possible.

i haven't had that problem... my sims went up just fine :p
Captain Louie
retired moderator
Original Poster
#19 Old 3rd Sep 2009 at 1:57 AM
^ okay, good to know that it is working *phew* :D

Forum Resident
#20 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 2:38 AM
I love your tutorials my wee Truffle
Test Subject
#21 Old 12th Sep 2010 at 2:23 PM
Thank you very much!
Test Subject
#22 Old 28th Oct 2010 at 5:30 AM
Thank you so much...makes this sooooo much easier... also i have late night now and i havent testing the stage floor for housing yet lol. but i still may need this tutorial to remake my house i put split level within a split level.....does that make sense? but thank thankie
Test Subject
#23 Old 29th Apr 2011 at 8:20 PM
Is the YouTube video no longer available?
Test Subject
#24 Old 17th Jun 2011 at 5:40 PM
Something I feel should be mentioned is that you need to turn the constrainfloorelevation cheat back to true before placing floor tiles in the sunken room (at least with the non-warped walls version). I nearly freaked because my walls were going bonkers when I tried to place the floors with it on false. By process of elimination I figured out that it was because of the cheat. Thank you for your tutorial.
Test Subject
#25 Old 1st Oct 2011 at 4:10 PM
Default Thank you!
Thank you very much! I've tried on several occasions to make a split-level home, but have always failed. For one thing, I didn't know about the cheat required and for another, I usually tried to build the foundation first. The message "You cannot attach walls to ...." would always come up.

Question: Did you use The Sims 2 or The Sims 3 for this demo? If TS2, have you tried it with TS3?

Page 1 of 2