Replies: 5 (Who?), Viewed: 2843 times.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Jul 2009 at 10:26 PM Last edited by JaneSamborski : 30th Jul 2009 at 11:24 PM.
Default Pattern Specular Test: Never Mind, Issue Fixed
IMPORTANT EDIT: This is totally superfluous now. Delphy figured it out. I'll leave this up as a warning till the packager is updated, then I'll delete it. LET THERE BE SHININESS!!!

Edit: Turns out I don't know how to delete the whole thread. So this little attempt will live on in perpetuity. Gotta love the internet.

I've been having problems getting Delphy's pattern packager to properly add custom speculars to my patterns. If it were just not working, that would be one thing, but its not working sometimes.

Delphy hasn't had much of a chance to look into this problem and I haven't had any really good examples to show him, hence this test. I'm no programmer, but I can crack open a package file and at least look for differences in the XML between working and not working patterns. I also have a theory that the program is not initializing properly all the time which may be a compatibility issue with certain computer configurations. Best case:I luck out and stumble on what is wrong; worst case: Delphy has plenty of data when he gets around to the problem.

You will need:

The current version of the pattern packager (1.3.0)
The .zip attached to this post, which contains the two .dds files you will use to build this pattern.

What to do:

1)Boot up the pattern packager
2)Hit File>New Pattern
3)Fill out creator details however you like.
4)Under pattern details, use the following information:

Pattern Tittle: TestSpecular *YourMTSUserName*
Pattern Description: TestSpecular *YourMTSUserName*
In-Game Category: Miscellaneous
Surface Type: Glass

5)Under pattern details:

Source DDS: TestPattern.dds
Number of recolourable palettes: 2
Palette 1: Select Med Grey from the picker (R=128, G=128, B=128)
Palette 2: Select Light Grey from the picker (R=192, G=192, B=192)
Uncheck the box next to 'Use default specular map'
Hit the button with the '...' and select TestSpecular.dds

6) The packager should look like this, except with your screen name:

7)Save the pattern as TestSpecular_YourMTSScreenName.package

8)Throw it in your mods folder and see if it picked up the specular. The easiest way to tell if it is working is to put it on a wall and rotate the camera left and right so the shine moves across the wall. It should be very obvoius if it is working, with alternating stripes of shiny and matte. In my experiance speculars do not show up (or don't show up well) outside, so use an interior wall. So you know exactly what you are looking for, this is what the specular looks like:

9) Whether it is working or not, grab a screen shot. Its hard to capture the effect of a specular map in a screen, but try your best. Name the screenshot exactly the same as you named your package file (swapping .package for .jpg, duh)

10)Zip up your package file. Name the .zip or .rar TestSpecular_YourMTSUserName.

11) Post both the .zip/.rar and your screen shot in this thread. Please also include the following information (if you follow the same format as me below, that will help streamline this process)

Is it working?
Your operating system.
Your game version.
Any notes about what you did/your set up that you think might be relevant.

Thank you to everyone in advance. I know that this looks like a pain but it really only takes ten minutes, maybe less.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#2 Old 30th Jul 2009 at 10:35 PM
NOT WORKING

Operating System: Windows XP
Game Version: 1.3, but I also did tests and experienced problems with 1.2

Notes: At first, speculars were working about 50% of the time, maybe less. Then they stopped working altogether, I haven't had a working one in the last 10-15 attempts. I've tried removing the program and reinstalling, but no luck. As far as I can tell I have not introduced anything new into my computer since before the specular option became non-functional.
Screenshots
Download - please read all instructions before downloading any files!
File Type: zip TestSpecular_JaneSamborski.zip (12.5 KB, 9 downloads) - View custom content
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#3 Old 30th Jul 2009 at 10:53 PM
I actually just took a chance to look at the packages you provided a while ago. Apologies for the delay, I've just been snowed under lately.

I can actually see the problem - while the specular is put in the file and the specmap line gets added to the XML correctly, it's missing a corresponding ChannelSelect for the specmap, which means the specular map will never get applied.

I'll fix this and upload a new version soon.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 30th Jul 2009 at 11:02 PM
HURAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *does a really stupid, happy dance*

Delphy: I completely understand that these things can take a while. I know you have tons of people begging for your attention. All I can say is thank you so much for your hard work.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#5 Old 30th Jul 2009 at 11:03 PM
Okay v1.31 should fix that issue.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 30th Jul 2009 at 11:12 PM
Wow! so fast!