Replies: 18 (Who?), Viewed: 5128 times.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Oct 2009 at 7:49 PM Last edited by cmomoney : 7th Oct 2009 at 11:41 PM.
Default Object Intersection(Solved)
I was wondering how to allow intersection in an object. I tried cloning a rug, but it flattens any mesh I put in it.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Advertisement
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#2 Old 7th Oct 2009 at 11:23 PM
I figured it out. In the FTPT, I changed the Area Type to 0x00000005 (Placement, Shape), and the 3 placement flags to:

PlacementFlags1: 0x000000DC
PlacementFlags2: 0x00000003
PlacementFlags3: 0x00000003

I had tried this before in the grid and thought it wasn't working, when actually it wasn't keeping the values I changed. So, I exported the FTPT and opened it in a hex editor and changed it there. Now my object intersects with others.

Hope this helps somebody

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#3 Old 19th Oct 2009 at 12:04 AM
Can you explain how to edit this in a hex editor? I have winhex, which seems complicated and maybe not the best one, I don't know. But the values are in hex, doh, but how do I know which one to edit? Recently with my bed blankets it was the same thing, and the stair covers. I tried editing them in grid and they won't stick. And I too had an issue with the rug flattening every mesh.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#4 Old 19th Oct 2009 at 12:54 AM
I use HexEdit.

I found what to edit by using the search function to find the current values, and changed them to what I wanted. In most of the objects I've seen the values are in the same place.

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Field Researcher
#5 Old 20th Oct 2009 at 2:19 PM
Sorry to barge in, but I'm very curious to what both of you mean, when you say that the rug 'flattens the meshes' ? Somehow, I can't picture it. Does that happen in game ?

But this hex editing is really interesting. I'm mostly clueless with a hex editor, but I've tried too to edit placement slots in grid and I did notice too that it doesn't stick... So i guess I'll have to get less clueless, at some point -__-.

The things you learn, when you make objects...
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#6 Old 20th Oct 2009 at 2:45 PM
There must be something in the coding of a rug that defines the height of the mesh, therefore whatever mesh you replace it with becomes that height in game.

I still don't quite follow on the hex editing part, I need to find the time to clone that topiary and look. I'm looking for a pattern that can be applied to my other objects, which of course are not the topiary.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 20th Oct 2009 at 8:03 PM
Thanks for your answer . That must be a weird effect to witness

We're all more or less looking to untangle that puzzle (placement, etc...). Good luck on your side .
Alchemist
#8 Old 21st Oct 2009 at 2:37 AM
As HT said...sorry to barge in...but I have to vent somewhere...lol.

All I know is that there is something freakish with the rug meshes. They're the only ones that give me UV scales incontinence even after WesHowe updated the ObjTool.

I cloned one to try a glass floor tile...you know...to make the floor shiny and reflective. And even though I didn't even open the thing in MS it still gave a UV scales overflow on recompile. In order to get the ObjTool to accept it without error I had to map it above and to the left of any EA map point.

The thing also came into the game partially merged with the floor so that it had to be lifted off of the MS baseline to stop it from flickering.

Other rugs I've made have had such serious issues with texture mapping that I haven't been able to share them. It's tough to figure out how to get the patterns to fit on them correctly. The map needs to be rotated in the TCE but the rotate function in MS is such a headache that the mind flinches.

Maybe the issues with rugs are why we haven't seen an explosion of rugs in Sims 3 like we saw in Sims 2.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll be coming back to ask what FTPT is...rugs are useful things in many ways and it's a sure bet that a lot of people are going to want to know how to clone other kinds of items onto them.

OM
Alchemist
#9 Old 21st Oct 2009 at 5:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemittens
And even though I didn't even open the thing in MS it still gave a UV scales overflow on recompile.

I would like to see that (the entire clone). There must be some "edge" condition in that rug mesh that is triggering the error detection code improperly.

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Alchemist
#10 Old 21st Oct 2009 at 12:30 PM
I hesitate to post this package because I am now very sure I did something wrong when making it that caused the UV Scales problem...and it's bound to be some embarrassing oversight that I would prefer not to have you catch me at. But I tried again this am to make the rug and this time it recompiled without the error.

The first time around I was working with the same clone repeatedly...just putting it into the game, seeing it wasn't how I wanted it, fixing it, and reimporting...somewhere in all of that I went wrong somehow...no surprise to you I know...it's a habit I have.

Anyway, best guess is that I must have lost track of the order of steps I was taking and when in that sequence I got the overflow message. I think I must have, in fact, opened the rug in MS to move it slightly off the baseline and then neglected to do any mapping at all. That is probably the point at which I got the overflow message. So it was my own fault and not a problem inherent to the rug...ouch.

At least I can honestly say I did *not* receive the bones error message...I am prone to meshing mistakes but I try not to make the same one twice...lol.

So, since you asked to see it, here is the package but it probably isn't something worth having you waste your time on darlin'.

http://jaue.com/om/OM_Rug_Glass.rar

OM
Alchemist
#11 Old 21st Oct 2009 at 5:13 PM
I am not going to download it then, if it is resolved. I have no intention of causing unnecessary work for myself or undue embarrassment for anyone else. It has been a struggle overcoming mistakes to get to where we are for the users and the toolmaker.

It's just as well... I have some other fish in the fryer now, and the aroma is starting to spice up the software shanty here.

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Alchemist
#12 Old 22nd Oct 2009 at 4:23 AM
"I have some other fish in the fryer now, and the aroma is starting to spice up the software shanty here"...that sounds good and I look forward to seeing what you're cooking up.

I could go on about the mistakes inherent in the communication between a user and a tool-maker but I've commented on it elsewhere at this site so I won't discuss it here...it's off-topic in any thread even though I think it's a definite issue that contributes to the struggle you've noted.

I would never want to be the source of unnecessary work...hence the full explanation of what went wrong. As far as undue embarrassment goes don't worry about that...I was just bantering with you as usual

OM
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#13 Old 22nd Oct 2009 at 6:05 AM Last edited by cmomoney : 22nd Oct 2009 at 2:52 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugeLunatic
I still don't quite follow on the hex editing part, I need to find the time to clone that topiary and look. I'm looking for a pattern that can be applied to my other objects, which of course are not the topiary.

I was just using the topiary as an example. The values have already been edited to allow intersection. If you open up the footprint file in your external hex editor, it should look the same as the pic (most objects I've seen).

1. Go to the 0030 line, and change the 11th value to 05
2. Go to the 0050 line, and change the last value to DC
3. Go to the 0060 line, and change the 4th and 8th values to 03

Save it and import back into S3PE and that's it.
Hope that helps

OM: It may be easier to just clone something other than a rug, change the ftpt, and/or mimic a rug.

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#14 Old 22nd Oct 2009 at 3:12 PM
Thanks cmomoney. You mentioned search function and I wasn't sure if you were searching in S3PE or hex editor. LOL Because I could *see* the values and couldn't understand why one would search. I also question the *most* objects part, this makes me think that it's *possible* for it to be in other areas.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#15 Old 22nd Oct 2009 at 4:10 PM Last edited by cmomoney : 22nd Oct 2009 at 9:56 PM.
Quote:
I also question the *most* objects part, this makes me think that it's *possible* for it to be in other areas.

I haven't looked at all the objects, so I didn't want to make an assumption. So, it is possible that it is in other areas, but I haven't seen it. You can always check by making sure the values match what you see in S3pe.

EDIT: ellacharm3d found that you can also edit the AsBytes values and they will save (without an external hex editor)

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#16 Old 26th Oct 2009 at 4:37 AM
So I found out that a 1 tile coffee table has the footprint info a second time. I could see this in a 2 tile coffee table, but I didn't expect it in a 1 tile. I had to change the values a few lines down from the first ones to get my sudo table to intersect with another. I've also found that the intersect is only one way. I must place the normal object then place my modified one.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#17 Old 26th Oct 2009 at 5:21 AM
Quote:
I've also found that the intersect is only one way. I must place the normal object then place my modified one.

Is this for the coffee table you're talking about (I wonder why it has two)? The objects I have applied this to intersect both ways. The one problem I did have was small deco objects popping into slots. I fixed it by mimic-ing a rug or slot placement changes.

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#18 Old 26th Oct 2009 at 2:21 PM
Yes, the coffee table and end table. When you say mimic, is that replacing the script class? Then that isn't what flattens the mesh flat?

Well my object is freezing my game when I go to live mode so maybe I will try again with changing that and see what happens. I miss my cres...
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
Original Poster
#19 Old 26th Oct 2009 at 2:35 PM
Yes, change the script class, and no, it isn't what flattens the mesh. I never figured out why that happened...

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
DELETED POST
13th Feb 2012 at 11:28 PM
Default Sorry.
This message has been deleted by leesester. Reason: no requests thank you