Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#26 Old 13th Nov 2009 at 5:36 PM
Since I've been building and creating more and more, I wish there were sort of a general feedback forum. For instance I posted in Creator Issues the question of whether or not I had to re-upload a cheap version of a bed I made or if I can just edit my current upload and add it. I know it doesn't really belong in CFF but I can't find a better place for it.

Oh I'd also love just to be able to see all Sims2 things in CFF, although it is possible to give feedback on Sims3 even if you don't have the game.

The search for true love goes on...

I'm back and working on some new clothes...check out my work at Creator Feedback
Advertisement
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
#27 Old 13th Nov 2009 at 10:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Elizabella
Since I've been building and creating more and more, I wish there were sort of a general feedback forum. For instance I posted in Creator Issues the question of whether or not I had to re-upload a cheap version of a bed I made or if I can just edit my current upload and add it. I know it doesn't really belong in CFF but I can't find a better place for it.
I had a similar question I wanted to ask the moderators only the other day, and after some head scratching I plumped for Creator Issues Forum as well, but I must have gone in and out twice before I decided it was probably the best place for the question - I really wasn't sure.

Mostly I fix Gameplay annoyances. I take requests and have made a few Requested mods already. Visit me on MTS Yearbook
My other projects: British High Street, Postal System for the Sims and Better Parking for Sims
Inventor
#28 Old 14th Nov 2009 at 3:50 AM
I've noticed uploads at MTS have been dwindling, I'm not sure if it's because most things being uploaded are being rejected, or just a lack of people uploading? I think it would be great if more sims were accepted. I know you guys want to see "unique" sims, but I'd love to see more, pretty sims!! I uploaded several sims, and I thought they were very pretty, fairly unique, and not maxisy at all, I spent a lot of time on them, and the pictures,got lots of feedback in CFF before uploading etc! They didn't even look like pudding, but they still got rejected for lack of being "unique" enough! For me personally, if somebody spends a little time to make a nice looking sim and spends time doing the pictures to show off the sim, I'll usually download it! I do appreciate how MTS has high quality uploads, that's great!! I'm not suggesting that you accept sub-par uploads, just maybe loosen your restrictions on non celebrity sims! I'd just really love to start seeing more downloads here! I know in the past MTS was a place I checked several times a day for new goodies, now when I do, it's the same downloads showing on the first page for a couple days it seems like!

In CFF I also think it's kind of cluttered, like others have suggested! It would be nice if when you click on CFF, it would give you an option to go to either Sims 2 or Sims 3!

Also, I think Creator Issues is a great idea, if the mods would respond! hehe!

Anyways, just a few suggestions!! Thank you guys for making such a great forum! MTS is really my favorite place to go to upload my creations, get feedback, and learn how to create! Thanks for listening!

Curvalicious Sims 2 (My website, only sims 2 stuff currently)Curvalicious Sims2

For more great content check out PMBD

Typical
#29 Old 14th Nov 2009 at 1:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jessica_2020
Also, I think Creator Issues is a great idea, if the mods would respond! hehe!

I second that... I've a had a thread in there for several days... about 3. And it's been viewed 8 times. About 6 of those by me.
I realise that mods have lives too... but I'd apreciate it if atleast once while they're online they could check CI.
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
#30 Old 14th Nov 2009 at 2:54 PM
My personal worry about putting a question on Creator Issues Forum is that mainly (I think anyway) threads will be on there as a precursor to uploading things (i.e. you can upload by building the thread on there and then asking a moderator to move it to the queue). Thus I was unsure whether the people monitoring that forum would realise my thread was a question or a thread that was incomplete (i.e. something to be ignored until prodded). So I made my title "Question for moderators" and it was answered immediately.

It think it might worth spliting those two purposes into separate forums? i.e. Have a special upload threads forum perhaps, and then Creator issues can remain as creator issues and will all be questions?

Mostly I fix Gameplay annoyances. I take requests and have made a few Requested mods already. Visit me on MTS Yearbook
My other projects: British High Street, Postal System for the Sims and Better Parking for Sims
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#31 Old 14th Nov 2009 at 6:18 PM
Creator Feedback has now been split into Sims 2 and Sims 3 subforums, and in addition, the Latest Active Threads has been added to the main CFF section.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
#32 Old 14th Nov 2009 at 7:20 PM
Ya beauty!

Test Subject
#33 Old 14th Nov 2009 at 10:34 PM
Delphy, I agree with most of what you said and understood it. But, it's not just the fact that this place is moderated. It's the implementation. I haven't submitted to any other site. It's that some of the arguments made concerning submission are overly broad and the submission process is a bit frustrating.

Time + effort does not necessarily equal value, for instance. Few Sims players are hacker types who are going to go to the trouble of making even "easy" things like tuning mods and would rather download them, ready-made... things like that. The rejection of the Van Gogh submission is one I had issues with that I think are valid, although I am happy to note that I was asked to re-submit after I made my case.

I'm glad to hear that you think my mods will be considered useful. If that was made clear when changes are requested, it would make the process less frustrating! The way it's stated, though... is that even if changes are made it's not a guarantee that the submission with be accepted. It sent the message to me, at least, that no matter how many times I submit, there is the possibility that the mods won't ever be accepted.

How about re-wording it a bit so that it's clear to the submitter that if they make all of the changes that are requested that the submission will be accepted?

As for my mod being special... It does seem to be a special case in the case of the conversion mod. There really is no need for multiple flavors of that one from my point of view. The game's default requirement of six artificial player-initiated actions is awful, and the minimum value of 1 is bad enough. Basically, the game discriminates against gay people by having autonomous opposite-sex romantic socials without any action on the part of gamers while forcing the player to initiate the romantic same-sex socials; the game hides this in their byzantine gameplay.package structure which most Sim players will never touch let alone locate the correct value (which is not in the main tree).

I really don't want to submit versions with a higher value than 1 and call the mod part of a "realism" set. However, I did as the moderator requested and submitted three flavors of the conversion mod in the first round of changes requested. I'm even less thrilled about putting them up as separate downloads because it sends the message that I endorse having this behavior in the game (Why else would I make available anything but the minimum value?).

EA made a bad decision, in my view, for implementing this line of code and I want my mod to minimize it as much as possible. It's not only bad in the way I described. It's also bad because it's based on the erroneous notion that gay people are "converted" to being gay. I called it the conversion mod for ironic effect, but it's actually what the code does. It requires players to convert Sims.

The media made it seem like the Sims 3 was a great step forward in equality for gamers, but yet there are major snags built in that ruin the playing experience for gay gamers (at least those who don't like to force everything). It would have been much better to simply enable preferences options concerning sexuality and options in create-a-sim. If I could code, I would create a gameplay replacement mod that would fix these things. Unfortunately, I don't have the skill.

In the case of the other mod (the "chance" mod), though, I can certainly see a case for plenty of flavors.

To some degree, I should apologize for being grouchy. However, I also have raised valid points here and in the topic concerning the Van Gogh paintings. Thanks for taking the time to read my posts and respond!

Quote: Originally posted by Jessica_2020
I've noticed uploads at MTS have been dwindling, I'm not sure if it's because most things being uploaded are being rejected, or just a lack of people uploading? I think it would be great if more sims were accepted. I know you guys want to see "unique" sims, but I'd love to see more, pretty sims!! I uploaded several sims, and I thought they were very pretty, fairly unique, and not maxisy at all, I spent a lot of time on them, and the pictures,got lots of feedback in CFF before uploading etc! They didn't even look like pudding, but they still got rejected for lack of being "unique" enough! For me personally, if somebody spends a little time to make a nice looking sim and spends time doing the pictures to show off the sim, I'll usually download it! I do appreciate how MTS has high quality uploads, that's great!! I'm not suggesting that you accept sub-par uploads, just maybe loosen your restrictions on non celebrity sims! I'd just really love to start seeing more downloads here!

One way to maintain the high-level image is to have the more run-of-the-mill submissions be hidden by default. Users can manually change the search preferences to show all submissions, and so forth. New users to the site, though, would only see the submissions that get awards/"picked" and so forth. This satisfies both the avid collector and the purist. The only things to watch for are: too many submissions due to lowered standards leading to moderator fatigue and: too much server space usage with large file size submissions.

I don't download some submissions because I don't want to have to track down fifteen pieces of custom content, especially when the custom content involves replacements for standard features. I'm not very happy that so much is a "default replacement" in the Sims 3. I think it's a major step backward for customization. Nonetheless, I have plenty of respect for those who go the trouble of making so much custom content and for tracking down precise pieces of custom content to realize the perfect celebrity and so forth.

I've been able to make some nice-looking Sims with primarily Maxis' tools and content, and some of them took quite a bit of time to make. I haven't tried to submit Sims myself, but I have made some that I'm certain people would enjoy having, even if they use a minimum of custom content and don't look like celebrities (although the guy in my avatar looks like a male Julia Roberts).

Also, some highly stylized custom Sims are beautiful and impressive but not so useful in most games as more run of the mill Sims. For instance, there were characters from Final Fantasy for the Sims 2 that were really impressive, and done early in the game's history. Yet, the scars, the hair, and the clothing were really not useful to me. I downloaded them because they were so well done, but they didn't get real use in the game.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#34 Old 15th Nov 2009 at 12:59 AM
superstition: The thing about the Changes Required messages is that, honestly, no, there is absolutely no guarantee that an upload will be accepted after the changes are made. The Changes Required used to be called Conditional Approval, which actually did mean what you imagine it to be - once the changes are made, it'd get approved. But what we found was that even after making changes, the overall submission still didn't meet our standards.

Think of it this way - an upload gets uploaded, nice idea, nice description, but the pics are kind of blurry. We wouldn't just reject it becuase all we have to do is to see the item more clearly - so we ask for clearer pics. But then somebody updates the pics and we see that, actually, the texturing work is really bad. Obviously we couldn't have spotted this prior to getting the Changes Required, but it's not fair to also say that Changes Required = Approval after changes are made.

The entire process has been working quite well now for a number of years - and while we are always looking to improve things, I think that in the case of the game mods, it's more a question of explanation of why the changes are required (which I will admit, I didn't put in), rather than a quality issue.

With regards to changing the download view to only show Picked/Top items to new users - thats something I am absolutely against doing. What defines a "new" user? When does a "new" user not become "new"? Why should we hide non-picked/featured items to these people? If you think about it - every single upload on this site has been looked at by people. It's been checked, and judged, by people. It may take a toll on the moderators time and energy, but at the end of the day every single upload here is a quality one, and I am proud of that fact, and would not want to hide everybody elses hard work in favour of only the most "popular" ones, when thier work is just as good in it's own way.

The site caters for many people, and avid downloaders are one of those types - I really don't think the actual download system needs changing - and thats not what this thread is about anyway

BTW, I totally agree that some things in the Sims 3 are totally weird - hard coding a slider limit of 20, or hard coding other, random values. But as modders we have to work around those, and as downloaders, it really is better to get a variety of things from the same author - saves space, and is the same quality as other flavours. I think that in the end, everybody wins.

Banned
#35 Old 15th Nov 2009 at 4:36 AM
For some reason when I submit a sims 2 item, it gets reviewed and approved rather quickly, but when I submit a sims 3 item the wait time is usually about a week sometimes more. Since I've been creating for sims 3 more and more, and so has everyone else, I think there should be more mods in charge of the sims 3 download section.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#36 Old 15th Nov 2009 at 10:55 AM
jonin: We are aware of the delays since it's mentioned in the very first post of this thread

Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
#37 Old 15th Nov 2009 at 3:01 PM
Just going through the upload wizard right now for a new Global Mod and noticed the following:-

Step 1: Select game, Sims 2 or Sims 3
Step 2: Select area - in this case it was a Global Mod
Step 3: Category of mod, choices presented are:-
  • TS3 Tuning Mod
  • TS3 Core Mod
  • TS2 General Mod
What? I've already said it's a Sims 2 mod. These choices seem like some correction is required?

Cheers
Mog

˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#38 Old 15th Nov 2009 at 3:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MogHughson
Just going through the upload wizard right now for a new Global Mod and noticed the following:-

Step 1: Select game, Sims 2 or Sims 3
Step 2: Select area - in this case it was a Global Mod
Step 3: Category of mod, choices presented are:-
  • TS3 Tuning Mod
  • TS3 Core Mod
  • TS2 General Mod
What? I've already said it's a Sims 2 mod. These choices seem like some correction is required?

Cheers
Mog

Doesn't it also say you can't have inline images over 800x600? That isn't true anymore, right?

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Banned
#39 Old 15th Nov 2009 at 3:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
jonin: We are aware of the delays since it's mentioned in the very first post of this thread

Woops! my bad. Sorry about that.

Maybe you could promote some site helpers to staff members so that it would make thing go a little faster.
Typical
#40 Old 15th Nov 2009 at 3:57 PM
Seems like he's been doing that already...
Mother Function
retired moderator
#41 Old 15th Nov 2009 at 4:27 PM
I have one or two little nitpicks about uploading.

Is it possible to add a second zip/rar upload slot to the Wizard? This would speed up the upload process for those who have several sets of zipped/rar'd items.

Also, after you've uploaded your files, could you make it to where the image and zip/rar files are clearly separated? Like into their own separate groups? Because sometimes my rar files get lost among the sea of images so I think it'd help to be able to see things clearly separated.

Like I said, just a few nitpicks

"Holy Shift! Check out the asymptotes on that mother function!"
Test Subject
#42 Old 15th Nov 2009 at 5:04 PM
Default HoodReplace Version 2.1
I looked all over this site to download this program and the is none.If you are going to tell us that you can download this program then make sure this is a place to download it.
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
#43 Old 15th Nov 2009 at 5:44 PM
Hi there DKinner1956 - I just typed hoodreplace into the Search menu's (top of the page) Search Downloads box and got only one hit - perhaps you can try that and see if it is what you are looking for?

world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#44 Old 15th Nov 2009 at 7:13 PM
daluved1 - You can put more zip/rar files in the image slots. It doesn't care if it's an image or a zip/rar. It's labelled that way as a bit of a guide for newer folks but you can put rars in all the slots, upload them, then do your images and it's happy either way.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#45 Old 15th Nov 2009 at 7:59 PM Last edited by superstition : 15th Nov 2009 at 8:12 PM.
Delphy, would you mind letting me know what you think of my argument concerning the multiple flavors of the conversion mod?

Quote:
What defines a "new" user?

Someone who just created an account.
Quote:
When does a "new" user not become "new"?

When they have changed their preferences.
Quote:
Why should we hide non-picked/featured items to these people?

I explained why in my post.
Quote:
If you think about it - every single upload on this site has been looked at by people. It's been checked, and judged, by people. It may take a toll on the moderators time and energy, but at the end of the day every single upload here is a quality one, and I am proud of that fact, and would not want to hide everybody elses hard work in favour of only the most "popular" ones, when thier work is just as good in it's own way.

I did think about it, and my idea fits with what the site is already doing to some degree. There already is a tier system where some downloads are given preference over others. The starred/picked items can be shown by themselves in the search if the user wishes, right? The only thing my suggestion did was make something like that the default search view instead of the alternative. Depending upon the design of the pages, it could be very obvious to new users that they can find more content by changing their preferences, so it's not like the submissions would end up in a black hole that would do a major disservice to the uploaders.

It was just an idea that I thought of when I read the suggestion the other person made about there being more Sim submissions accepted. A tiered default search view where only the top tiers are seen by default enables there to be more accepted content on the site, which satisfies those who may like content that doesn't meet the "highest standards" (or content that the moderators don't think is especially compelling but which others would like to have, like Sims made with Maxis content that don't look like celebrities) -- while also keeping the image of the site up by showing a "high standard" of product.

As I said, it's not a perfect solution because it may encourage too many submissions, which could overload moderators and stretch the queue for submissions and also requires more server storage space (which may be an issue for large submissions). But, it does have its advantages, I think, as well.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#46 Old 15th Nov 2009 at 8:45 PM
Standards for the moderation queue will not be changed/relaxed and I don't think we're interested in doing a "tiered view" - there are plenty of other sites that allow anything and everything, and while I understand it may sometimes be upsetting to creators to be rejected, we do intend to stick to those high standards. If that means less uploads on the whole but a higher quality in what -is- uploaded, then so be it.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#47 Old 15th Nov 2009 at 9:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
You can put more zip/rar files in the image slots. It doesn't care if it's an image or a zip/rar. It's labelled that way as a bit of a guide for newer folks but you can put rars in all the slots, upload them, then do your images and it's happy either way.

I didn't know that.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#48 Old 15th Nov 2009 at 9:39 PM
Mog: Re the categories - thats deliberate and unfortuantely can't be changed. Theres no "auto category" option for a specific game type.

Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
#49 Old 15th Nov 2009 at 10:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
Mog: Re the categories - thats deliberate and unfortuantely can't be changed. Theres no "auto category" option for a specific game type.
I can understand if something can't be changed, but I find it odd that you deliberately put TS3 categories in the TS2 upload? I have noticed on occaision some TS2 uploads have selected one of these TS3 categories. If it can't be changed could it be part of some check-list to ensure they don't end up categorised in a mixed up way?

Mother Function
retired moderator
#50 Old 16th Nov 2009 at 2:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
daluved1 - You can put more zip/rar files in the image slots. It doesn't care if it's an image or a zip/rar. It's labelled that way as a bit of a guide for newer folks but you can put rars in all the slots, upload them, then do your images and it's happy either way.

Really....okay! :D
*bounces off*

"Holy Shift! Check out the asymptotes on that mother function!"
Page 2 of 5