Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

23 Recoloured "Almost Deco" Wall Sconces

by justmoi Posted 13th Jan 2005 at 4:12 AM - Updated 18th Oct 2008 at 7:57 AM by -Maylin-

29 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 27 Feedback Posts, 1 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 2
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 13th Jan 2005 at 6:24 AM
I am so happy that someone is recolouring light fixtures! Thank you so much. They look fantastic!
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 13th Jan 2005 at 1:16 PM
Thank you. I love these lights and now I can love them in even more colors.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 13th Jan 2005 at 2:33 PM
Thumbnails do NOT update. So if you make an item and then decide to make a change to it the original thumbnail for it will show. To get a new thumbnail you will need to go to your MyDocuments/EAGames/Sims2 area and look for the Thumbnails Folder. In it you'll see a number of files. The one that says DesignMode Thumbnails is the one you are interested in - delete it. When you go back in game and view an item for the first time the only thing different from normal is that there will be a slight pause as the game rebuilds the thumbnails using the current object. So if you are making things you'll need to constantly delete this particular file to see the right thumbnails for them.

For those things that are part of build mode - I believe it the BuildMode thumbnails you delete not 100% on that now. Again will rebuild itself as you view items for the first time.

"A man who keeps company with glaciers comes to feel tolerably insignificant by and by." Mark Twain
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 13th Jan 2005 at 3:20 PM
Those look great. If only we could change the color and amount of light they put out. *sigh* I like bright light. lol
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#6 Old 13th Jan 2005 at 5:33 PM
glacier1701 - thank you, I read about that in a thread a while back but I thought that it would apply to both the frame colours and the glass colours...this time it was showing the corrcet frame colours but not the glass. I'm at work now but I'll give it a try when I get home. Thanks for the info.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
#7 Old 14th Jan 2005 at 1:17 AM
Awesome job, thank you
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 14th Jan 2005 at 2:51 PM
Those look great.
Forum Resident
#9 Old 14th Jan 2005 at 2:54 PM
Test Subject
#10 Old 19th Jan 2005 at 10:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by glacier1701
Thumbnails do NOT update. So if you make an item and then decide to make a change to it the original thumbnail for it will show. To get a new thumbnail you will need to go to your MyDocuments/EAGames/Sims2 area and look for the Thumbnails Folder. In it you'll see a number of files. The one that says DesignMode Thumbnails is the one you are interested in - delete it. When you go back in game and view an item for the first time the only thing different from normal is that there will be a slight pause as the game rebuilds the thumbnails using the current object. So if you are making things you'll need to constantly delete this particular file to see the right thumbnails for them.

For those things that are part of build mode - I believe it the BuildMode thumbnails you delete not 100% on that now. Again will rebuild itself as you view items for the first time.

When I download alot, I delete (or move) the entire Thumbnails folder, and let the game recreate it when I start the game up. Is that ok, or a bad idea?
Field Researcher
#11 Old 26th Jan 2005 at 3:57 AM
awesome :clap:
Field Researcher
#12 Old 5th Feb 2005 at 5:33 PM
Thank you for sharing
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#13 Old 15th Feb 2005 at 7:20 AM
Hi, the lamps have been updated for the upcoming EP.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Field Researcher
#14 Old 15th Feb 2005 at 10:32 PM
Thank you for recolouring these (or any lighting for that matter :D), off to test soon
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#15 Old 16th Feb 2005 at 6:40 AM
Hi, I've added 3 more frame colours and some silly whimsical glass recolours to the set. Hope you like them.

Theorist
#16 Old 16th Feb 2005 at 8:46 PM
Oh, cute! I end up using that light often and the in-game colors are getting a little dull. LOL
Test Subject
#17 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 2:16 AM
THANK YOU! I love these!!
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 11th Mar 2005 at 9:41 PM
Thank you so much for these!! They look great!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#19 Old 19th Mar 2005 at 2:10 AM
Thanks for the compliments. Enjoy the lamps and now that I'm back from my vacation I'll have a lot more new objects coming soon.

Test Subject
#20 Old 25th Mar 2005 at 5:50 AM
Hi, first these look great! Thank you for doing them. I'm having a problem though. I downloaded them and put them in my downloads folder, did the delete thumbnail thing, but the recolors don't show up in my game. Help! Please. Thank you. :D
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#21 Old 25th Mar 2005 at 6:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mlwalton13
Hi, first these look great! Thank you for doing them. I'm having a problem though. I downloaded them and put them in my downloads folder, did the delete thumbnail thing, but the recolors don't show up in my game. Help! Please. Thank you. :D

After you unzipped the files into your /EAGAMES/Sims 2/Downloads folder and when you click on the "Almost Deco" lamp, do any of my recolours show as an option? They won't display as a new thumbnail but as a colour option for the original "Almost Deco" lamp. I retested it out in my game and even though the "shade" colour doesn't appear different in the menu (I didn't rebuild my thumbnail catalogue), it is the correct colour when you place the lamp on a wall. Are all the recolours not showing up as a colour option?
Screenshots

Test Subject
#22 Old 25th Mar 2005 at 2:24 PM
No, no color options appear I'm not sure why either. They look really beautiful too, and I really would like to use them. I have downloaded twice incase perhaps something went wrong the first time. Any advice?
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#23 Old 26th Mar 2005 at 4:17 AM Last edited by justmoi : 26th Mar 2005 at 4:23 AM.
No, no color options appear I'm not sure why either. They look really beautiful too, and I really would like to use them. I have downloaded twice incase perhaps something went wrong the first time. Any advice?

Do you have CEP installed? You need it for the colour options to work. It's the only thing I can think of because I tried them yesterday with a fairly clean installation (no other custom objects) of the Sims and University and I had no problems as the screenshots show. I also don't have any hacks installed with my game.

P.S. I downloaded the files from this post just to be sure that the posted files were okay and tried again and they show up in my game without problems.

Does anyone else have a problem?

Test Subject
#24 Old 26th Mar 2005 at 5:13 AM
You're a genious!!! Yay it works! I had installed CEP before but that was pre-EP I guess there's an updated version for EP? Dunno, don't care...it works and the sconces are beautiful. :lovestruc

Thank you for all your hard work and for help resolving the issue. :bow2: You're the best! :D
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#25 Old 26th Mar 2005 at 6:38 AM
You're a genious!!! Yay it works! I had installed CEP before but that was pre-EP I guess there's an updated version for EP? Dunno, don't care...it works and the sconces are beautiful. :lovestruc

Thank you for all your hard work and for help resolving the issue. :bow2: You're the best! :D

I'm so happy to hear that the problem has been resolved. They had updated the CEP to version 2.0 for University so thanks for letting me know that the new version is required. Enjoy the lamps and take care.

Page 1 of 2