Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Feeder of Cheesecake to Llamas
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Jan 2005 at 4:02 AM Last edited by lidiqnata : 23rd Dec 2013 at 3:46 PM.
Default Faylen's Clothing Recolor Tutorial Part 2: Selective Recoloring
I must be nuts. Here's another tutorial in Microsoft Word format, showing you a couple of ways to recolor selected sections of a garment in Body Shop. Hope you like it. Adding new textures comes next. . .

HTML version insterted by RGiles for anyone who doesn't have Word
Click on the images for a full-sized version

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

Step 4

Step 5

Step 6

Step 7

Step 8

Step 9

Step 10

Step 11

Step 12

Step 13

Step 14

Step 15

Step 16

Step 17

Step 18

Step 19

Step 20

Step 21

Step 22

Step 23

Step 24
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Selective_Recolor_Tutorial.rar (5.64 MB, 33 downloads) - View custom content
Description: PDF file
File Type: zip  SelectiveRecolorTutorial.zip (3.33 MB, 38 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Word file
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 18th Jan 2005 at 4:35 AM
Thanks Faylen, I can do the objects but have trouble with the skins. Sure it will help me out.
Test Subject
#3 Old 19th Jan 2005 at 1:07 PM
I LOVE you thank god! thanxs so much
retired moderator
#4 Old 19th Jan 2005 at 1:16 PM
Nice job! And I love the fact that it is in Word format.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 19th Jan 2005 at 7:36 PM
RGiles put my first one up in the Tutorials section so you can read it on-screen. I hope he tackles this one next. (Hint, hint. . .I make a phenomenal cheesecake, you know. . .)
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
#6 Old 25th Jan 2005 at 6:15 AM
Done, and moved to tutorials. About to start on the 3rd one now.

RG
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7 Old 25th Jan 2005 at 1:36 PM
RGiles is soooo getting a cheesecake. . .

"Living well is the best revenge. . ." George Bernard Shaw
Test Subject
#8 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 1:41 AM
OHH LOOK AT THAT AS I READ ON YOU HAVE POSTED MORE
YOU'RE GREAT
Test Subject
#9 Old 12th Mar 2005 at 11:48 PM
*smiles* Done!!! Of course I chose something even my husband would approve. He would faint if I pulled something purple out for him. We went with a tasteful Green. Again, was able to translate these instructions into Paintshop Pro 8 with ease. Thank you!!!
Test Subject
#10 Old 15th Mar 2005 at 1:53 PM
thanxs sooo much! ^_________^ helped heaps!
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 18th Mar 2005 at 1:35 PM
thankyou! soo so much..
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 15th Apr 2005 at 1:12 AM
Thanks! :D
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 15th Apr 2005 at 9:02 AM
Thank yoy for that
BTW: for anyone who doesn't own / doesn't want M$-Word: go to www.openoffice.org
There you'll get a free Office Suite which is almost identical in look and feel (it's based on Star Office)and which can handle M$-Word formats (and could even convert .doc into severak other formats like i.e. .RTF or .HTML
or..in case you don't need the office packet and just want to be able to read and write in Word format, google for Abiword (which is free also)
-le
retired moderator
Original Poster
#15 Old 17th Apr 2005 at 6:22 PM
You can go to the skinning forum to get lots of answers. I do check for new posts on my tutorials, though.

Lab Assistant
#16 Old 21st Apr 2005 at 11:16 AM
another great tutorial! thanks again!
Test Subject
#17 Old 2nd May 2005 at 3:53 PM
I have no experience using photoshop, but after read your tutorials I think I can generate my own new clothes for my sims. Thanx
#18 Old 22nd May 2005 at 1:01 AM
Additional help desperately needed
Hello, I found this thread very useful. I am wondering if you can help... I downloaded a package of default skins for my Sim 2 adults and I like the way the female looks, but am less enthusiastic about the male skin. I cannot find a way to delete the male without deleting the female as well and am wondering if you have any ideas on how to either remove just the male default that I downloaded or to recolor it. Since it is a default, it does not appear in my Bodyshop. Any help you can give would be tremendously appreciated! :comp: Darlene
Test Subject
#19 Old 12th Jun 2005 at 5:58 PM
Thanks for the tutorial! That would really help me if only I had that program...
Top Secret Researcher
#20 Old 26th Jun 2005 at 2:08 AM
Thank you so very much for this and the other tutorials that you have made out for us.
Test Subject
#21 Old 4th Jul 2005 at 7:50 PM
Wow! What a clear tutorial! Thanks alot for these.

I'm having trouble making things black... colors work fine, and I can get varying shades of gray but I'm having trouble finding how to make things black and am wondering what I am overlooking? I'm also using PS. I just know it's something right in front of me but I can't find it.. lol help!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#22 Old 5th Jul 2005 at 7:16 PM
Black is hard. What you can do is select "pick color" in PS and select as close as you can get, and you'll still need to play with the opacity, unless you want to dodge and burn your own shading and highlights. You'll want to go back and look at it in-game, too, because just as the game adds smoothing effects to items (so it looks different in-game than it does in body shop) it also adds color for lighting effects - your blacks and greys may show greens and pinks in the higlights and around the edges, so you may need to go back and forth tweaking it until it looks the way you like in the game.

Test Subject
#23 Old 13th Jul 2005 at 12:07 AM
Thanks alot, I'm going to try that!
Test Subject
#24 Old 29th Jul 2005 at 1:54 PM
Wow, great tutorial! Until now, I felt like I'd never be able to do -anything- with clothes on my own. You've really helped me out, thanks! Though I do have a question, maybe it's just because I'm new and haven't gotten the hang of it, but I seem to be having problems getting the edges colored. As in.. they'll stay the original color, it's noticeable enough for me, but I'm not sure how noticeable it really is. Even so, any hints or tips on how to get better at including the edges of clothes?
retired moderator
Original Poster
#25 Old 29th Jul 2005 at 5:21 PM
Well, don't worry too much about going beyond the outside edges with your texture - the alpha will block it out. Beyond that, it's mostly a matter of practicing until you get a steady hand. You may want to begin by clicking with the mouse and shift-clicking in tiny increments to get as close to where you want the edge to be, and if you hit a wrong point, you just undo >that< one.

Page 1 of 5