Replies: 28 (Who?), Viewed: 13203 times.
Page 1 of 2
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Jan 2010 at 6:07 PM Last edited by Phaenoh : 6th Feb 2014 at 10:12 PM.
Default Prosperity is Random Challenge
This challenge borrows some of the good ideas from other challenges – they do say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery – but I think it is enough of a variation to deserve it’s own name. It is designed especially for those of us who want to get away from habits like always creating perfect sims who live perfect lives, achieving all their goals, leaving platinum headstones, having the same aspirations, careers, etc. I've tried to add elements of randomness throughout.

Setup:
Start with a new, empty neighborhood – preferably one you have not played before. This could be a good time to create a really empty neighborhood – without the standard NPCs or townies. In fact, why not go all the way and add new face templates and new default names (optional to the challenge). Name the neighborhood anything you want and add at least one community lot, more if you want.

Roll the dice to determine how many families you will start with – but you must have more than 1, so if you roll a 1 you get to roll again.

For each family you roll the die again to determine how many people each will start out with. Since you are using one die, each family will end up with between 1 and 6 members.

Creating Your Families:
Many of us tend to pick skin tones from the same one or two possibilities – so if you have rolled for 3 - 5 families, one of them must be 2 shades lighter or darker than the other families. Use a roll of the dice to determine which family will represent your ethnic diversity. If you have 6 families, two of them should be 1 or 2 shades darker or lighter than the others – use the dice to determine which families.

Naming your families – I’d suggest you use http://names.mongabay.com/most_common_surnames5.htm as a source of surnames, just to get away from using the same names you use all the time. These are the last names ranked 5001 to 8000 in popularity, so they are fairly common but do offer some variety. You can also use this site to find first names.

For each sim in each family you will determine the age, gender, aspiration, personality and career by rolling the dice. You will be using the same method to determine aspiration and career as you play (when children transition to teens).
2 = Child
3 = Teen
4 = Adult
5 = Elder
6 = Roll again or Young Adult (depending on which EPs you have)

If a family would start with only elders or only children/toddlers you can re-roll. If the family has no adult, but there is a teen or elder you can add one adult parent as a placeholder. This adult must either suffer a tragic early death or move out of town (sims bin) the first day.

Odd number = Male

Aspiration:
1 = Fortune
2 = Knowledge
3 = Romance
4 = Family
5 = Popularity
6 = Pleasure or Roll again (depending on which EPs you have)

Personality: Since there are 12 zodiac sign choices you will roll the dice twice. The first roll will determine the group, the second roll will determine the sign within the group. You cannot change any of the personality points.
First roll is an even number, then 2nd roll is:
1 = Aries
2 = Taurus
3 = Gemini
4 = Cancer
5 = Leo
6 = Virgo

First roll is an odd number, then 2nd roll is:
1 = Libra
2 = Scorpio
3 = Sagittarius
4 = Capricorn
5 = Aquarius
6 = Pisces

Aside from the skin tone requirement, all other appearance choices are up to you.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#2 Old 29th Jan 2010 at 6:10 PM
Rules:
1. Keeping score and winning: There is no winning – or maybe we all win if we all have fun. And the points don’t matter. But just to keep score a little bit, as easily as possible, you start with the total number of families, the total number of sims (subtract the placekeeping adult sims), and the total amount of money (which should be $20,000 per family). Identify your youngest starting sim – if you have more than one toddler (or child) it would be the one in the last family. The game ends when this sim dies – however he/she dies. At that time, you add up the total number of families, the total number of sims and the total amount of money in your neighborhood.

2. No money hacks – motherlode and even kaching just make it too easy.

3. No moving townies in just to get more money. Your sims can move in/marry townies or NPCs if they are in love.

4. You must accept every chance card – the choice of answer is up to you.

5. Any other hacks are up to you. I do recommend ACR and the triplets & quads hacks to add random pregnancies and multiple births. If you do have ACR the only sims who can “Try for Baby” are those with a current want for a child. All others would have risky woo hoo – cause you never know. If the sim with a current want for a child is in a same sex relationship they can either have a biological child or adopt.

6. Marital fidelity – the only sims who will never cheat on a spouse/partner are Family sims (OK, I know that isn’t like real life, but we need some rules here). Romance sims will always cheat! For all other aspirations you roll the dice – odd numbers cheat, even numbers do not cheat. You only roll the dice once per sim and this sets their lifetime possibility of cheating. When they actually do cheat is up to you and circumstances.

7. Gender preferences: If you start off with more than 10 teen, adult and elder sims then at least one of them will be gay. If you have 20 or more teen, adult and elder sims then two of them are gay. Use the dice to determine who they are (you can use the same method as for personality). If you never play gay characters – or if you always do! – try to look at this as part of the randomness in the sims world. As the children in your game transition to teens you will select via the dice what their gender preference will be. If you roll a 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 they will be straight. If you roll a 6 they may be gay – roll again. If you roll an odd number they are gay, even number they are straight.

8. Careers: Custom careers are encouraged, but you don’t get to pick which career a sim will go into. Make an alphabetical list of all the careers you have installed in your game. Divide that list so that the first 6 careers (alphabetically) is group 1, the next 6 are group 2, etc. For your starting sims and for those who transition to teens as you play you will roll the dice twice to determine what career they will follow. The first roll will determine the group, the second roll will determine the career within that group. Obviously if you only have 4 groups and you roll a 5 or a 6 you roll again. This will mean that some sims will be in careers that don’t match their aspirations or their LTWs. Life is like that, isn’t it? If you have the Sim Blender hack or something similar, you can re-roll their LTW up to 3 times to see if you can get one that is not career related.

9. EP rules: I only have Seasons and Bon Voyage, so would love for others to fill in the blanks on the other EPs. But the idea is simple, a roll of the dice will determine if a sim will or will not participate in an activity/option. For example in Seasons, does a sim want to work towards a fishing badge? A gardening badge? Roll the dice – odd number is ‘yes’, even number is ‘no’. With Bon Voyage, will your sim go on vacation? - Roll the dice – odd number is ‘yes’, even number is ‘no’. If ‘yes’ you roll again to determine the vacation destination; 1 or 2 means a mountain resort, 3 or 4 means the island and 5 or 6 is the Far East. I don’t have University but assume that not everyone can go – that they must have good grades, for example? If that isn’t built into the EP, then I suggest adding it (only grades B+ and above can go) as well as other criteria (does the family have enough money for college?) and a random factor (cause not everyone wants to go to college) that you determine with the dice.
Test Subject
#3 Old 29th Jan 2010 at 6:17 PM
I really like this. It'll get me out of my "perfect family" funk! (Now i gotta find a dice..)

Its so bad. I try to play one of the in game families without cheats. But like 5 min in i'm like "just one motherlode...". Then i update there house to my liking. Then i play for a lil while. I change the people to a little prettier. I get annoyed that accomplishing things take to long and i pop on the boolprop. Ugh. Before i know it i'm sneaking in all kinds of help, lose interest and stop playing. Bad habit!
Scholar
DELETED POST
3rd Feb 2010 at 2:14 AM
This message has been deleted by ForeverCamp. Reason: Added new post below
Scholar
#4 Old 3rd Feb 2010 at 4:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaSSJ
Rules:
9. EP rules: I only have Seasons and Bon Voyage, so would love for others to fill in the blanks on the other EPs. But the idea is simple, a roll of the dice will determine if a sim will or will not participate in an activity/option. For example in Seasons, does a sim want to work towards a fishing badge? A gardening badge? Roll the dice – odd number is ‘yes’, even number is ‘no’. With Bon Voyage, will your sim go on vacation? - Roll the dice – odd number is ‘yes’, even number is ‘no’. If ‘yes’ you roll again to determine the vacation destination; 1 or 2 means a mountain resort, 3 or 4 means the island and 5 or 6 is the Far East. I don’t have University but assume that not everyone can go – that they must have good grades, for example? If that isn’t built into the EP, then I suggest adding it (only grades B+ and above can go) as well as other criteria (does the family have enough money for college?) and a random factor (cause not everyone wants to go to college) that you determine with the dice.

As for University, there isn't any built-in restrictions with EA (besides being in the Teen stage to enroll), but if somebody has InTeen, there is a flavour pack which would add some restrictions:

(From the RTFM for InTeenimator Flavor Paks - I have the Apartment Life edition, but it's the same for any other version.)
Quote:
College Admissions: Adds the requirement that all teens be at least 18 years of age (seven days until birthday by default InTeen programming - you can disable that 'mini-stage' with the 'No Adult Teens' pack) and have graduated high school with a C grade or better before being admitted to college.

As for the money... hmm... Well, my real-life uni costs about 4000$ a year, so you could, say, adjust the family funds by -4000 (minus any scholarship money the teen might have earned) when they first move out, and then do the same to the college household whenever they change years (or divvy it up into 2000$ per semester - they can also earn up to 1200$ a semester with good GPAs). Think that's what I'm going to do.

I'm going to go make my families now, will update later.
Scholar
#5 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 3:10 AM Last edited by ForeverCamp : 5th Feb 2010 at 5:13 AM. Reason: More family pictures and bios
Default ForeverCamp's PARAMOUNT
So I've begun the challenge in a new neighbourhood called Paramount (a custom map). I rolled a 5-family start, picture below is family # 1. The others are made but not moved in - I'll update the pictures as I start them.

I'm using some adaptations for what I have in my game - because I'm using InTeen, I'm also rolling for teen pregnancy or not for the girls. Once somebody rolls for Uni and heads off, I'm going to have to figure out how to roll for it - I have more than 36 majors... >.< Maybe split them into sections? (Arts, Humanities, Sciences, etc.)

Teens are also being rolled for PT jobs or not - if the PT job can be carried over to adulthood, this is considered the rolled career track.

This is the first family in my neighbourhood. I chose the name Caulfield because I'd never use it normally (I detest Catcher in the Rye with every pixel of my being), and took the first names from my (new!) baby name book - I do a lot of Simming and a lot of writing, it's come in handy!! The Caulfield family consists of an adult, two teens and two children.

The mother (pictured in centre) is Lavinia Caulfield. She is a knowledge sim, Libra and faithful. Currently she works in the Military career. I was thinking of maybe getting her together with the single dad in family # 3. It'd make an interesting storyline, because her daughter's been flirting with the teenage son in that family. (I'm getting Tropic of Virgo flashbacks, if anybody's familiar with that Twilight fanfic).

The eldest son (pictured in top left corner) is Clancy Caulfield. He is a romance sim, Aries. He is NOT going to university and is working in the Military career.

The daughter (pictured in top right corner) is Kamry Caulfield. She is a family sim, Virgo. She is NOT going to university and does NOT work part-time.

The second son (pictured in bottom right corner, with glasses) is Eli Caulfield. He is a Libra.

The third son (pictured in bottom left corner) is Levi Caulfield. He is a Gemini.

Eli and Levi's future academics and aspirations have been rolled already, but I'll leave you in suspense until they age up!

Family # 2 was rolled for one elder. I chose the name Lansky because that's the editor of the aforementioned name book, and the first name came from the book as well.

This is Yuliya Lansky (and her cat Perinsk). She's my designated 'crazy cat lady', . She's a popularity sim and a Pisces.

Family # 3: two elders, and one each of adult, teen, child and toddler. The name is a random pick, the first names are from the book again.

The bigger elder's picture is Marwood Clark (I think... either that or the littler elder pic is Marwood). He's the patriarch of the household, brother to Merritt Clark, father to Hartley Clark and grandfather to Landric Clark, Court Clark and Zhana Clark.

Marwood does NOT work, is a popularity sim, Scorpio and faithful. Merritt does NOT work, is a popularity sim, Virgo and faithful. Hartley is an Artist, a fortune sim, Sagittarius and faithful.

Landric (teen) does NOT work, is Uni-destined at 4 days to b-day, a knowledge sim, Aries and faithful. Court (child) is a Taurus. Zhana (toddler) is a Cancer.

Family # 4: Designated 'ethnic' family, two adults and a toddler.
Shippe was a last name in one of the lists and first names in the ubiquitous name book.

Mickey Shippe (blonde) was my 'designated' gay sim, so Richie Shippe (brown hair) became his partner. Gilroy Shippe is their adopted son - since I already had a pretty good spread of mid-range skintones in the other families, I just made all three on opposite sides of the scale.

Mickey is in the Law career, a romance sim and a Taurus. Richie is in the Architecture career, a pleasure sim, faithful and a Cancer. Gilroy is an Aquarius.

Family # 5: one elder. Etc., etc. for name selection.

Meinhard Frost is a knowledge sim, Scorpio and faithful.

GILROY SHIPPE is my ending sim.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 1:49 PM
They look great!
I hadn't thought of rolling for teen pregnancy and that is a great idea. I usually can't wait for my sims to grow up to have babies and my teens are very likely to get pg early. The dice will keep me from doing the same thing I usually do. Or at least it won't be my decision.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 1:52 PM
For uni, with 36 majors you can easily split them into 6 groups of 6 in alphabetical order and use two rolls of the dice to determine their major, same as with careers.

Also wanted to ask you if you have a replacement set of faces - your sims are very nice looking and I do like pretty sims.
Scholar
#8 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 3:35 PM
What I ended up doing was splitting the majors into different faculties (just like real uni - somewhat...). I ended up with nine faculties, so I have to roll three times, but I have two dice . This is what happens when you download the Missing Majors Uberpack! Since I still have a while to go before Landric heads off to uni (if he does - he still has to meet uni criteria), I'll ponder whether or not the faculty/major rolled influences his career.

I'm getting really complicated... LOL I'm weird like that.

ANd I don't have replacement face templates, really, but I do have replacement skintones and eyes. Skintones are default replacements of HystericalParoxysm's Idolatry of Flesh (found HERE ), with age transition faces from CatOfEvilGenius (found HERE. Maybe that's why some of them look better than I thought they would...). I also have HP's Idolatry of Foliage skintone for plantsims, the Pale (lighter than Light - the Clark family's skintone) and Tropical (between Tan and Medium - the Caulfield family has tan, Lansky has medium) skintones in Idolatry of Flesh, but none of them are featured on these families. I've just noticed COEG has some of HP's other 'fantasy' skins as zombie replacement too! *runs off to download them*

Eyes are Bruno's Behind These Eyes, default replacements made by Callistra (found HERE).

Hairs are all either Raon's free hairs or Maxis hairs.

Happy simming - I have to go give Pleasantview some love, but will return another day with a Paramount update!
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 3:55 PM Last edited by addict12 : 5th Feb 2010 at 10:50 PM.
I have uni, but I can't make YA in normal CAS. I would have to send a teen to college to have a YA in game. So I decided to just roll only for Adult, Elder, Teen, Toddler, and Child. When I got a six, I rolled again. Then I'll roll to see if they would want apply college or not. Anyway, I rolled and had to create six families. For pets, I rolled too. Even: Yes. Odd: No. Then I rolled for type of pet: Cat or Dog. Even: Cat. Odd: Dog. Then I rolled to see how many pets I should have in each household. Though, I put a max of four pets for each household. Anything over four, I'd rolled again.

(( Removed )) :3
Scholar
#10 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 6:40 PM
Crazy, I never even thought about rolling for pets. I just elected to have a cat in Lansky.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 7:28 PM
Oh, I thought - since we're rolling for nearly everything, that we would have to roll for pets too. XD

Edit:

Should I roll on rather to have a family live in Apartments or House too? ( @[email protected])
Scholar
#12 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 7:41 PM Last edited by ForeverCamp : 5th Feb 2010 at 7:56 PM. Reason: Added thought
Didn't think of that, either - man, this can get complicated if you have all the EPs!

I just sort of randomly put them in apartments or houses. I still have to have some level of control, LOL!

MY Rolling Rules (outside the challenge's specifications):

Teens roll for:
University-destined?
Even - Yes (conditions apply)
Odd - No
PT Job?
Even - Yes (roll with regular career options)
Odd - No
Teen Preggers? (FEMALE ONLY)
Even - Yes
Odd - No

University-Destined Conditions:
- Uni-destined Sim must have 4000$ upon departure day (household funds, scholarship funds or combination). This is subtracted from family funds and used as freshman year tuition.
- FEMALE ONLY: Must not have had child as teen - teen preggers roll overrides uni roll.
- Once a sophomore, Sim must have 2000$ at beginning of each semester (household funds, grant funds or combination). This is subtracted from household funds and used as semester's tuition. If tuition cannot be paid by the end of the first day, student is withdrawn from studies.

University-Destined roll for:
Day of departure?
# = Days until birthday (1-6)
Major?
Roll 1 - Group
Roll 2 - Faculty
Roll 3 - Major
Uni Preggers? (FEMALE ONLY)
Even - Yes
Odd - No
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 8:50 PM
Oh, I see. I'll borrow some of your Rolling Rules then. XD I decided on rolling for them to live in a house or apartment. Odd: No. Even: Yes. Good thing I don't own BV. :3

I'm almost done with Family One: The Applewhite Family!

I tried to give them apple shaped faces because of their surname. <3
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 10:19 PM Last edited by addict12 : 5th Feb 2010 at 11:17 PM.
I noticed I made a mistake with the family sizes. XD I just thought had to create eight family members and roll for gender, age, etc. But, I'll fix that during game play by moving out two or more depending on the dice roll. D: Whoever is left over, I'll move them into separate lots. Luckily, I have to only fix this with Applewhite. I rerolled for the rest.

Results after re-rolling:

Family One - Five Members: Applewhite
Elder(s): 1
Adult(s): 0
Teen(s): 2
Child(ren): 1
Tot(s): 1

Family Two - Four Members: Emerick
Elder(s): 0
Adult(s): 1
Teen(s): 1

Family Three - Five Members: Armour

Family Four - Five Members: McDevitt
Adult(s): 2
Teen(s): 0

Family Five - Four Members: Kipper
Tot(s): 0

Family Six - Three Members: Haworth
Elder(s): 0
Kid(s): 0
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 6th Feb 2010 at 5:27 PM
I've added starting money rules to mine, depending on whether the family is between 1-3 members or 4-6. Makes the start a bit more interesting to me I adjust the money the families get alloted with the familyfunds cheat.
After all, wealth isn't spread evenly in the real world.

1: 10.000/15.000
2: 15.000/20.000
3: 20.000/25.000
4: 25.000/30.000
5: 30.000/35.000
6: 35.000/40.000
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 6th Feb 2010 at 6:20 PM Last edited by addict12 : 6th Feb 2010 at 7:04 PM.
That's an interesting idea. :3

The McDevitt Family:

The Kipper Family:

The Haworth Family:

The Emerick Family:

The Armour Family:

Finally finished. XD
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 6th Feb 2010 at 6:37 PM
Great idea by the way, it sounds like a perfect way to keep the game just enough out of my control to be intriguing.

A few questions:
- Can we let our sims choose who they want to be with?
- Pregnancies are allowed right?
- Is there any control over # of kids? or is that up to us?
- What is the ultimate goal for the neighborhood? To have as many people before time runs out? To have as much money?
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 6th Feb 2010 at 9:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJalepeno
Great idea by the way, it sounds like a perfect way to keep the game just enough out of my control to be intriguing.

A few questions:
- Can we let our sims choose who they want to be with?
- Pregnancies are allowed right?
- Is there any control over # of kids? or is that up to us?
- What is the ultimate goal for the neighborhood? To have as many people before time runs out? To have as much money?

1. I believe you can choose whoever you want to be with depending on the dice. I think dice roll determines their sexual interest. Check Rule 7.

2. As far I know, pregnancies are allowed. Read Rule 5 to be sure.

3. Well, dice roll determines the family size when creating a new family, and also determines the gender and age. So, the number of children, in CAS, is based on dice. Now, if your sim(s) were to become pregnant during the actual game-play, I think you can have any number of children.

4. There's no wining or losing. Basically, no real wining goal unless you set one yourself. Read Rule 1.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 7th Feb 2010 at 8:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by addict12
1. I believe you can choose whoever you want to be with depending on the dice. I think dice roll determines their sexual interest. Check Rule 7.

2. As far I know, pregnancies are allowed. Read Rule 5 to be sure.

3. Well, dice roll determines the family size when creating a new family, and also determines the gender and age. So, the number of children, in CAS, is based on dice. Now, if your sim(s) were to become pregnant during the actual game-play, I think you can have any number of children.

4. There's no wining or losing. Basically, no real wining goal unless you set one yourself. Read Rule 1.

I totally agree. That's part of the fun of playing to me - deciding who gets together with who. The rules on gender preference and cheating are just designed to add randomness.

Of course pregnancies are allowed. Hadn't thought to use a dice roll to determine the number of children during game-play but that sounds like a good idea. I use ACR and have it set to allow random pregnancies for everyone. The only time I have them try for a baby is if they have that as a want, which means only Family sims actively try to have kids. It's a surprise for the rest. I think I will roll a die for all my family sims to determine the maximum number of kids - otherwise they are liable to have dozens.

No winning or losing if you are having fun. But it might be interesting to total up the amount of money and the number of sims in the neighborhood when you reach the end.

My youngest CAS is getting closer to dying of old age and I'm thinking of moving in a serial killer or a terrible plague to wipe out everyone after that. Then I can start all over.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 1st Aug 2010 at 7:27 AM
O WO Hi again. Is anyone still doing this challenge?
Scholar
#21 Old 1st Aug 2010 at 7:47 AM
I plan on doing it!
I would like more then 1-6 families though :/
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 5th Aug 2010 at 4:11 PM
Good luck! I plan to up soon~!
Scholar
#23 Old 20th Aug 2010 at 5:23 AM
LOL I just restarted this challenge - lost the original families.
Test Subject
#24 Old 29th Aug 2010 at 10:13 AM
I will start this! :D
And I have a question: if you got YA as an age, it means you had to make a teen first then make him/her go to college on the very first day, rite?
Mad Poster
#25 Old 4th Sep 2010 at 12:14 PM
I started this challenge with 4 families, and have been making good progress so far. But I've got a little challenge within the challenge-I have "empty templates" set up in my game so that it only spawns what necessary townies are needed to run the fire department, the post office, etc. Nobody else.
Because you can't (by the rules) add any CAS Sims once it's started, I must populate my hood only with the sims that are created naturally by birth-that's going to be the real challenge in my game-to populate the town with only created sims. I'm limiting the townie numbers to as few as possible. No nannies are allowed in it, either. These families are starting out fairly poor.
So far I have only 21 characters total in my game file. It's going to be a real push to create a town from the original four families I've created:
The Maxwell family, with Grandpa Sylvester, Tracey, and her children: 3 teens, and one child
The Kelly family, with Drew, and his 2 teen daughters.
The McClain Family which consists of Grandpa and Grandma, their daughter Belinda, and her son.
The Kirby Family-Eli and his twin toddlers, Eli and Kristy.

But it's getting interesting:
Drew Kelly fell in love with Belinda McClain, and married her. Her parents found the fountain of youth and are now a lot younger than they were before she left! Drew and Belinda are planning to have a family together.
It looks like one of Tracey's teens, Floyd, is in love with Drew Kelley's daughter Caroline, and they might end up together after they reach adult hood. All the teens are going to roll for college-it's pretty expensive, so they will get their degrees more or less quickly by way of a cheat (sorry, I hate the college!)-the instant college degree.
I kept the elders only for variety. They're going to be more than placeholders. Perhaps they'll add some fun to the game, as witness the fights that occur when one female elder hits on every man in the hood (admittedly, not many of them), and her husband gets jealous.
Page 1 of 2