Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#51 Old 10th Apr 2010 at 10:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Cyberian_Trooper
I was going to call it Big Bad Religion but I decided to stick with the name it was given. ;-)

Are you a Christian? I would say the same thing about God because I always some how think that he is so big and I think some Christians and non Christians will put God in a box.

No, I'm not a Christian. But I don't fit neatly into any of those religious categories, either. There are aspects of quite a few of them that I identify with... but not so much that I would use their terminology to define myself.
Advertisement
Instructor
#52 Old 11th Apr 2010 at 1:04 AM
On another thread, Nekowolf said:

Quote: Originally posted by Nekowolf
Either way, I'll always hold Thor as my patron god. But that is a discussion for the "other religions" topic, not here.

and just wanted to throw out there that I have this bumper sticker:

Wake early if you want another man's life. No lamb for the lazy wolf. No battle is won in bed. ~ Odin
Scholar
#53 Old 11th Apr 2010 at 1:47 AM Last edited by Nekowolf : 11th Apr 2010 at 4:00 AM.
That's why I'm not, uh...an Odin person. He was a god of battle, war, strife. He sowed war on Midgard for his entertainment. Plus, he was lecherous.

There is a tale. Thor came across a river, and saw a ferryman on the other side. Thor hailed to the ferryman to bring the boat over, but instead, he just scoffed at Thor and insulted him. Thor became enraged, and screamed at the man. It lead to a back-and-forth of their accomplishments.

Thor went on about the foes he had defeated, the acts of might he can perform. The ferryman boasted about the women he had slept with, many of them married, and his own accomplishments, some resulting in him backstabbing against a deal. Insults were strewn throughout.

In the end, Thor had stormed off, unable to intimidate the man to send across the boat. The man was Odin in disguise. Odin was respected and feared, but there is a reason why Thor was even more popular and liked.

Now sure, Odin was also a god of magic and poetry. But above all else, he was a god of war. Thor, while a warrior, stands for much more. He is a god of strength and justice.

Is that a shillelagh in your pocket, or are you just sinning against God?
Instructor
#54 Old 11th Apr 2010 at 11:27 AM
My Norwegian father introduced me to the Havamal, and Odin was his favorite. So I had them made for him. Kinda makes sense--my dad was a Marine, so the "respected and feared" aspect would have appealed.

Personally, I like Baldur.

(I have a Sim family with children named Thor, Odin, Tyr, Freki, Loki, and Geri!)
Scholar
#55 Old 11th Apr 2010 at 11:49 AM
Oh yes, Baldur is a very good one; after all, he is the god of light. In the aftermath of Ragnarok, he actually comes back to life.

I aim to misbehave
retired moderator
#56 Old 17th Apr 2010 at 7:18 PM
I've been all my life in Catholic schools and now I'm in a Catholic University, but I'm agnostic.. I just think that you can't believe on what you don't see. Why does bad stuff happen to good people and good stuff to bad people? It has no sense.. It isn't proved the existence of anything trascendent, but maybe there's something, maybe something is waiting after death, but I don't know what is it or if it's real, nobody knows it. Most of the people keep the religion they grow up with, but that doesn't mean that it's the good one. If some person is born in Morocco they'll really believe that their god is Allah, but if the same person was born in India, they would believe that their gods are Brahma, Bishnu and Shiva.. and it's the same person, so what's the point with all this?

Check out my tutorials: For TS4: Eyelashes and for TS2: Eyes and Eyes 2
-My Insta-

Please, call me Nina (:
Lab Assistant
#57 Old 17th Apr 2010 at 9:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Vampire_aninyosaloh
I've been all my life in Catholic schools and now I'm in a Catholic University, but I'm agnostic.. I just think that you can't believe on what you don't see.

Well, that's faith. Faith is believing in something what you can't see, can't touch, but you still believe that it exist. Catholic explanation.
Instructor
#58 Old 17th Apr 2010 at 11:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ivan17
Well, that's faith. Faith is believing in something what you can't see, can't touch, but you still believe that it exist. Catholic explanation.

Which makes SOOOO much sense. Answer this--if God, Allah, Odin, or whoever, created everything--why would they give people reason if they expected them to make the most important decision of their lives based on faith?
Scholar
#59 Old 17th Apr 2010 at 11:45 PM
If we have the ability to reason, why do we do really stupid shit?

We're creatures of both reason and irrationality.

Top Secret Researcher
#60 Old 18th Apr 2010 at 4:27 AM
Most of the people keep the religion they grow up with

Do they? To me it seems like people who were brought up to believe in a religion may be more likely to believe in a religion when they are adults but not necessarily the one they grew up with.

if the same person was born in India, they would believe that their gods are Brahma, Bishnu and Shiva..

Or Allah or God. There are plenty of muslims and christians in India.
Instructor
#61 Old 18th Apr 2010 at 11:52 AM
The main point, simbalena, is that people tend to follow in the religious footsteps of their parents. If you are raised a Hindu, you're Hindu. If you are raised Christian, you're Christian. Which is why religions tend to cluster, with large groups of a certain religion in one place.
Lab Assistant
#62 Old 18th Apr 2010 at 11:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by grumpy_otter
Which makes SOOOO much sense. Answer this--if God, Allah, Odin, or whoever, created everything--why would they give people reason if they expected them to make the most important decision of their lives based on faith?

God tempts us every day. He is looking will we betray him, will we repent for our sins. God is gracious and merciful. He will forgive our sins, we just need repent for them. He loves his creations. That makes different between God and humans. We are cursed and prone to sin, but we have few God's gifts: to love, to create...

Quote:
If I bear witness to myself, my testimony is not true; there is another who bears witness to me, and I know that the testimony which he bears to me is true. You sent to John, and he has borne witness to the truth. Not that the testimony which I receive is from man; but I say this that you may be saved. He was a burning and shining lamp, and you were willing to rejoice for a while in his light. But the testimony which I have is greater than that of John; for the works which the Father has granted me to accomplish, these very works which I am doing, bear me witness that the Father has sent me. And the Father who sent me has himself borne witness to me. His voice you have never heard, his form you have never seen; and you do not have his word abiding in you, for you do not believe him whom he has sent. You search the scriptures, because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness to me; yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life. I do not receive glory from men. But I know that you have not the love of God within you. I have come in my Father's name, and you do not receive me; if another comes in his own name, him you will receive. How can you believe, who receive glory from one another and do not seek the glory that comes from the only God? Do not think that I shall accuse you to the Father; it is Moses who accuses you, on whom you set your hope. If you believed Moses, you would believe me, for he wrote of me. But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe my words?

John 5:31-47

I have one question for Jews. Are you still waiting for Messiah, or you understand that Jesus is Messiah?
Scholar
#63 Old 18th Apr 2010 at 12:36 PM
@grumpy_otter

I think you're half-right. More -conservative- religions, or rather, denominations, tend to clump together. I think the more liberal denominations are more open to ideas from outside, and so children, though they may stick with it, may also branch into other faiths as they grow older. Cause again, the whole "open to new ideas" thing.

Mad Poster
#64 Old 18th Apr 2010 at 6:37 PM
Faith is believing in something what you can't see, can't touch, but you still believe that it exist.

I believe that gravity and CMB radiation exist. Does that make me a person of faith?
Lab Assistant
#65 Old 18th Apr 2010 at 6:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by fakepeeps7
I believe that gravity and CMB radiation exist. Does that make me a person of faith?

LOL. Well, if gravity or CMB is for you god, and if you believe in it, it can be your faith (I have learned that in America is everything possible, so you can open your own temple of holy gravity or CMB).
But humans have convinced them selfs that gravity and CMB exist and that is proven, so it can be your faith, but it's not real and true faith.
Mad Poster
#66 Old 18th Apr 2010 at 7:08 PM
LOL. Well, if gravity or CMB is for you god, and if you believe in it, it can be your faith (I have learned that in America is everything possible, so you can open your own temple of holy gravity or CMB).

You insult me with your assumptions, but I guess you're seeing everything through a Catholic lens. Not everyone requires a temple, and we don't all need to fixate on something and worship it.

So... do you not believe in gravity?

But humans have convinced them selfs that gravity and CMB exist and that is proven, so it can be your faith, but it's not real and true faith.

Humans have convinced themselves that God exists. What's the difference? Why is that "real and true faith" while believing in other things I can't see is not?

I'm not a scientist, and I wouldn't even begin to know how to prove that gravity and CMB radiation exist. So for me, it has to be faith.

Who are you to say what is "real and true faith" and what is not? Is it only "real and true faith" if it agrees with your faith? What if I wanted to have faith in a different god? Would that not be "real and true" because it wasn't faith in the right god (in your opinion)?
I aim to misbehave
retired moderator
#67 Old 18th Apr 2010 at 7:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by grumpy_otter
The main point, simbalena, is that people tend to follow in the religious footsteps of their parents. If you are raised a Hindu, you're Hindu. If you are raised Christian, you're Christian. Which is why religions tend to cluster, with large groups of a certain religion in one place.

That's exactly what I mean.

@Simbalena: Do you think that you would believe in the same thing you believe now if you were born somewhere else? Maybe you wouldn't even have known about it..

I have one question for Jews. Are you still waiting for Messiah, or you understand that Jesus is Messiah?

I have one question for you: How do you know that Jesus was the Messiah? OK, faith.. and that stuff, but Jews have faith too, maybe they are waiting for a messiah because he didn't come, or maybe they are wrong too and there are many gods, or maybe there's nothing.. It's proved that someone called Jesus lived in that time and he was some kind of revolutionary.. OK, and what else? It's not proved that he was the Messiah, the Bible could have been writen by a fraud or a madman.. who knows?

Check out my tutorials: For TS4: Eyelashes and for TS2: Eyes and Eyes 2
-My Insta-

Please, call me Nina (:
Scholar
#68 Old 18th Apr 2010 at 8:32 PM
Oh, btw, here is a current case going on regarding religious freedom in California; I'll link to a summarization:

http://wildhunt.org/blog/2010/02/pa...mainstream.html

Known about it for a while now, and it's still ongoing.

Mad Poster
#69 Old 18th Apr 2010 at 9:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nekowolf
Oh, btw, here is a current case going on regarding religious freedom in California; I'll link to a summarization:

http://wildhunt.org/blog/2010/02/pa...mainstream.html

Known about it for a while now, and it's still ongoing.

Interesting. First-tier faiths?

I guess these folks would have denied people like Thomas Jefferson his religious rights.

Oops.
Lab Assistant
#70 Old 19th Apr 2010 at 9:21 AM
@fakepeeps7

I know that gravity exist, so I don't need to believe in it.
Different is that you can directly feel gravity, but you can't directly feel God (only if you had private revelation of God), you can feel God only indirect through, for example, prayer.
If you believe in, for example, Allah, that will be real and true faith. Except believeing, you must live in accordance with your faith.
Building temple was only suggestion.
And, I'm sorry if I have hurt you, it wasn't my intention.

@Vampire_aninyosaloh

Well, Messiah will come in the end, one last time.

While I was part of few debates, I have learned that most of the Americans:
1. Hate Christians (especialy Catholics).
2. Would love to throw atomic bomb on Vatican.
3. Would love to remove all Christians (especialy Catholics) from Earth.
4. Must always be right.

Correct me if something is not true, pls.
Instructor
#71 Old 19th Apr 2010 at 9:49 AM
4. Must always be right.

1) Not at all
2) NEVER! And ruin all that beautiful artwork?
3) Again, not at all
4) Nope.

I'm being silly--but really--to say MOST Americans believe these things really is wrong.
Scholar
#72 Old 19th Apr 2010 at 11:20 AM
Quote:
4. Must always be right.

1. Christianity is the MAJORITY RELIGION. By like 76% or something like that, from an ARIS (American Religious Identification Survey) 2008 survey. With 25.1% saying they were Catholic.
2. Hardly! As grumpy_otter said, the artwork and the architecture, it would be criminal! I'd prefer to raid them instead and drag them out into the streets.
3. Maybe some of the more extreme atheists, but again, Christianity holds religious majority.
4. Maybe if you're a...well, never mind, that's political and not part of this. In short - only if you're an arrogant, pompous ass.

Lab Assistant
#73 Old 19th Apr 2010 at 2:56 PM
@fakepeeps7

I know that gravity exist, so I don't need to believe in it.
Different is that you can directly feel gravity, but you can't directly feel God (only if you had private revelation of God), you can feel God only indirect through, for example, prayer.
If you believe in, for example, Allah, that will be real and true faith. Except believeing, you must live in accordance with your faith.
Building temple was only suggestion.
And, I'm sorry if I have hurt you, it wasn't my intention.

@Vampire_aninyosaloh

Well, Messiah will come in the end, one last time.

4. Must always be right.

Are you sure you are not the messias??Because I think you want to convert everybody into your religion ...
Are you conscious that criticizing Americans who don't like catholicism saying things like they love throw atomic bomb on Vatican or that they always be right you are becoming like one of them?You hate this kind of people in the same way they """hate""" catholics. Do you know that there exist more opinions than yours?
Think about it.

**If I sit the same way as other people my reasoning ability is decreased by forty percent**
Scholar
#74 Old 19th Apr 2010 at 5:01 PM
God tempts us every day. He is looking will we betray him, will we repent for our sins. God is gracious and merciful. He will forgive our sins, we just need repent for them. He loves his creations. That makes different between God and humans. We are cursed and prone to sin, but we have few God's gifts: to love, to create...

Why does God tempt people? If he is perfect, he should be able to create perfection, in which case there is no need to tempt or test. Humans are theoretically his creations, so why is it that they were able to become "imperfect"? Further, all other life is supposedly his creation, yet there are species that die out naturally all the time, without any human intervention. Every expression of nature has flaws, so how is it that God is perfect?

4. Must always be right.

1. No. Many of my friends are Christian, and one of my closest college friends is Catholic.
2. I shudder to think of all of the knowledge that would be lost if the books held by the Vatican were destroyed.
3. Again, no. Christians are still people, and most of them are moderate enough in their views that they can get along with others who don't share their beliefs. Even the extremists are deserving of life until they take someone else's.
4. Everyone tries to be right as much as they can be. Part of human nature is that we inherently search for truth. Ideally, one would remain open to other possibilities if there is logical reason for them. Unfortunately people (not just in America) have a tendency to close their minds off to other possibilities once they find something that they want to believe.
Mad Poster
#75 Old 19th Apr 2010 at 6:05 PM

Sorry. That made me laugh. I really don't see how that's possible... unless most Americans hate themselves.

Yes, I'm sure a bunch of stodgy old men in silly hats and robes are at the top of the nuke list.

Again, how short of mass suicide, I don't see how Americans could accomplish this.

There is a certain amount of animosity between the Protestant and Catholics denominations, but not to the point of genocide (at least, not in the U.S.A.).

4. Must always be right.

Well, I can't really argue with that one. I've met quite a few Americans who fit into this category. But then again, I've met quite a few people from other countries who do, too...

Page 3 of 24