Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Servo Default Replacement

by Amaryll Posted 12th Mar 2010 at 6:44 PM

49 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 42 Feedback Posts, 6 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 2
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 12th Mar 2010 at 9:25 PM
Superb!
Zombie Socks
#3 Old 12th Mar 2010 at 9:38 PM
Excellent work! I was working on a project exactly like this a while back, but I never could figure out how to remove the glowing ball. It never occurred to me to just cover it up with a new mesh. Excellent work! Although, the lack of normal iris creep me out, this is very well made.

Nintendork Island | Please call me WWW!| Despite what avatar says, loves all of mts <3
Field Researcher
#4 Old 13th Mar 2010 at 2:35 AM
I have been searching forever for a decent servo replacement that wasn't just clothes!

I basically just like to play uglacies.
Test Subject
#5 Old 13th Mar 2010 at 3:30 PM
Haa! Wonderful job!
Test Subject
#6 Old 13th Mar 2010 at 7:59 PM
Yesss, not only dose this match my steam punk sims, but it fixes the dumb look of the servos. I loved the concept, but the Maxis Servos looked so stuiped I got sick of looking at them. Tankies!
Field Researcher
#7 Old 13th Mar 2010 at 9:00 PM
Beautiful work!

Let me know if you use any of my recolors in a story, video, etc. I'd like to see it!
Field Researcher
#8 Old 13th Mar 2010 at 9:42 PM
I hope this gets featured Amaryll, because as I said at GOS it is gorgeous
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 13th Mar 2010 at 10:46 PM
awesome!!! :3
Test Subject
#10 Old 16th Mar 2010 at 4:16 PM
Oooooooh thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou!
Test Subject
#11 Old 17th Mar 2010 at 1:54 PM
Oh wow! I love the idea of having stamps on them to represent the creatures. It's fantastic, I can't wait to use them.
Test Subject
#12 Old 18th Mar 2010 at 12:10 PM
Fantastic! I've been hoping for something like this for ages. Thank you!
Test Subject
#13 Old 22nd Mar 2010 at 12:40 PM
Okay, here I am again and it's been a while since I've posted on these boards, but this is one those downloads that requires more than just a hit on the THANKS button. Timekeeper has mentioned the totally ludicrous appearance of the regular servos, which has made me pretty reluctant to use them if I can help it. Yeah, Maxis, or EA, whichever it was at the time (I can't be arsed to check) created this comical-looking robot with its single eye and a nose like a blind cobbler's thumb that did a good job around the home, but could malfunction and go rogue. Trouble is, when it did turn bad, it looked even more comical than ever, especially when it started making that "Bidillybidillybidilly" noise while it was up to its dirty tricks (and if anybody asks me, "How does it go again?", I'll bloody well 'ave 'im!) :-).

Now, along comes Amaryll and gives us a default replacement that not only looks like a robot, but it also has that ... sinister ... dangerous ... menacing ... look that gives a suggestion that this extremely useful homehelp could turn bad. Not only bad, but outright nasty and dangerous. Excellent job, Amaryll. You have captured the essence of how that servo should appear. Familiarly friendly with it's humanoid appearance, but also a very cold look that suggests a potential danger should it malfunction.

Now to reiterate Pinketamine, if the Powers That Be at MTS are reading this, what are you waiting for? This needs to be featured with the best of the rest. It's in your hands now; do the right thing, this deserves it.

Cheers Amaryll. I've downloaded it, tested it and love it. I hope it gets featured, but if not, rest assured, there's a ton of us out here that appreciate the work you've put into this. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Field Researcher
#14 Old 1st Apr 2010 at 1:30 PM
Default compliments
Thank you for this wonderful work.
Test Subject
#15 Old 9th Apr 2010 at 5:24 AM
I've used this skin before and love it. Now it is a default servo! Oh happy day. Thanks so much.
Test Subject
#16 Old 23rd Apr 2010 at 4:16 AM
How do I get the maxis shape to go away?
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 30th Apr 2010 at 5:16 PM
I'm wondering the same thing Insanity333 is. My Servos, when initialized, turn up in Maxis form with the skin's colors. How do I make them switch over?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 8th May 2010 at 1:09 PM
I am not sure I understand completely... Did you put both, the skin and mesh files, into your DL folder, and after your servo is initialized,i.e. turned on by a sim and moving about, it still looks like the Maxian one?
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 10th May 2010 at 4:07 PM
More or less. The Servo intializes with the color of the skin, but the Maxian shape, and from there I can't work out how to fix it. I tried moving the Servo out of the lot and then moving it back in, forcing an error with boolprop, and building another Servo on a different lot to see if it could be an error in one lot. Every Servo initialized in my game consistently remains Maxis-shaped. I have both the mesh_defaultservo file and the servotexturesdefault file in my downloads folder.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 10th May 2010 at 4:58 PM Last edited by Amaryll : 11th May 2010 at 10:06 AM.
Well, I wanted to make sure we both have the same definition of "initialized", as the servos do show up looking maxian (in shape with only the golden skintone), once they are spawned/built and only change their appearance once they are turned on.

I just downloaded the files from here myself and loaded the game with only those in my folder, and they do work fine. I am very sorry about this, but unfortunately, I do have no explanation why the meshes would not work in your game. Maybe you could check whether something in your DL folder conflicts with them, by doing the same I did, and checking whether the servos show up correctly then?
I just had a look at your profile, and as you seem to have the same EPs I do, I do not believe that I have overlooked some requirement for them.
Would you mind checking again?
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 11th May 2010 at 2:15 AM
Sure, I'll check and see if there's a conflict the next time I run the game. That could very well be it.
Test Subject
#22 Old 17th Jun 2010 at 5:35 AM
I am really shocked that this isn't featured. It's the only decent servo replacement I've ever seen, and I adore it! The in game ones have always bothered me, and so I never used them, but now... =)
Thank you very much.
Test Subject
#23 Old 17th Jun 2010 at 9:06 AM
I like thaaaaaattttt I will for sure download when it is fingished and I hope it comes in recolors at some point : )
Forum Resident
#24 Old 22nd Jul 2010 at 7:31 PM
HaunterMooneyes, did you ever get it working? I am having the exact same problem. The servo still looks like the Maxis one, except for the skin color (now it is gold). I checked for conflicts and nothing turned up.
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 22nd Jul 2010 at 8:51 PM
Just in case (as I see people complaining about issues) I am going to download the original skin. But I also think these beauties need a new set of eyes. And formal-wear. So, I am going to see what I can do for them. I don't promise I will ever achieve anything, but I may be able to get something decent-looking cobbled together.
Page 1 of 2