Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#51 Old 16th Feb 2005 at 9:09 AM
IMPORTANT: tha tutorial was updated to include EP-compliant information.

All the packages made with the previous versions of the tutorial are not strictly "EP-ready"; nevertheless they will work fine with the new EP.
Updating them is not mandatory; if you choose to do so, follow DeeDee's tutorial.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 16th Feb 2005 at 8:53 PM
K I did get as far as recolouring the window, but in the game the texture appears as dark blue. I didnt rename the things you said cause I wasnt sure where to do taht, i hope thats the problem, ill keep trying
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#53 Old 16th Feb 2005 at 11:32 PM
You mean the steps 16 and 17?
If you open the Material Definition, you'll see a parameter called "stdMatBaseTextureName": click it and edit (replace) the texture name in the edit box called "Value", on the right.
Lab Assistant
#54 Old 16th Feb 2005 at 11:50 PM
Actually steps 13 and 14

I tried it over again before following the directions and renaming everything but I still get the dark blue window in the game
Test Subject
#55 Old 18th Feb 2005 at 8:47 PM
Default Charmed front door
your Charmed front door is great!! Can you send me it or create a link to download it?? that'd be nice...
Thx in advance

Kaz

It's all about power
Lab Assistant
#56 Old 13th Mar 2005 at 4:25 PM
i have tried everything i have not changed any names or anything i have the colour enable pack and SimPE version 27 i also have the ep and all the recoulors i have done from this tutorial are flashing blue even though i have chewcked eberything over and over

please help me it driving me crazy
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#57 Old 13th Mar 2005 at 4:27 PM
Post your package here, I'll take a look.
Lab Assistant
#58 Old 13th Mar 2005 at 6:19 PM
here it is i dont know where i went wrong :confused: thanks for taking a look
Attached files:
File Type: zip  my2nd go.zip (154.8 KB, 22 downloads) - View custom content
Test Subject
#59 Old 16th Mar 2005 at 8:38 PM Last edited by moc001 : 16th Mar 2005 at 8:48 PM. Reason: Too wide. From the long file names. Just wanted to make it a bit easier for people to read, so no scrolling back and forth.
Default I am just not getting this......
Ok, this is driving me nuts. i hgave been repeatedly re-doing this for the past 3 days. All I ever get is the blue flashing glass instead of my image. I have the latest SimPE Download, and latest CEP. I even Downloaded the EP ready version of the broken glass window to look at it in SimPE and see if I could figure out what I am doing wrong. I know I have to be dense here, and missing just one or two things. Can anyone point out what I may be doing wrong? I would be soooooo apreciative. I am posting step by step what I am doing.

I am cropping down the images as much as I can so they wont be huge, but hopefully still show what is needed.

1. Use the Object Workshop to make a reclor copy of Sheer Glass.

2. When the subset comes up, I uncheck all the boxes, except for the windowloftdoublehung_glass.

3. So here is what I end up with so far.

So, at this point, all I am doing is deleting That Matierial Definition line. Then I import the texture and MATD that came with the beginnng of the tutorial.

Did the save, and reopen the package.

4. Do my image next, this part I am familiar with, I have done transparencies and things before. Import the Alpha Channel, Update All Sizes, Commit, and then Save.

5. Now here is where I think I am getting messed up somewhere.

I have this so far:

Then I get my Guid from Plugins->Hash Generator->GUID

Now I have this on the Texture Image

Since the box will not show the full value, here is what is actually entered there after I paste the GUID into the name:

doortwotilewidecommercialplateglass-overlay-clearbadcc4c4-6653-
44de-8dd5-2d0c6ecff50e_txtr

Then I commited (LOL, I feel like I should be commited at this point.)

6. Now, do the same with the GUID on the MATD Filename

7. Now, next step, do Plugins->Fix Integrity->Then just hit ok and then save.

8. Now, I get a bit confused here. With this tutorial step:

16) Select the texture and copy its filename (including the leading ##0x1c050000! hash but *not* the _txtr extension)

There is no leading hash on my filename. At this point, I have tried it multiple ways several time. I have jsut continued on, ignoring the fact that there is no ##0x1c050000! hash, and I have also tried it by manually putting that hash number at the beginning of the file name, commiting and then saving. For this, I am omitting it.

I have copied this value:
doortwotilewidecommercialplateglass-overlay-clear667811a8-4c27-
400b-b83f-92cb74a1d826

from this value:

doortwotilewidecommercialplateglass-overlay-clear667811a8-4c27-
400b-b83f-92cb74a1d826_txtr

on the texture file name.

So for steps 16 and 17 of the Tutorial"

So we go from this:

to this:

Did this on the File List tab also, Commit, save, and now, loading game.

Here is the end result show beside Numenor's updated EP window.

Now, just to be thorough, I went back, and redid everything just as above, only this time, When I added the GUID to the file name, I also manually put the Hash at the beginning fo the file name, So I was using this.

##0x1c050000!doortwotilewidecommercialplateglass-overlay-clear667811a8-4c27-
400b-b83f-92cb74a1d826

Got same blue window result

I am also inluding the 2nd copy that I tried in zip format. The only thing I can see different, between what I have and what Numenor has, is that:

The Texture Image file name is:
##0x1c050000!numenor-brokenGlass-ddecffcc-d828-472a-84f3-d6c9b5c9588d__
windowcommercialplateglass-overlay-broken_txtr

The stdMatBaseTexture name is:
windowcommercialplateglass-overlay-broken

The Filelist Filename is:
windowcommercialplateglass-overlay-broken

And, the Filename on the MATDEF is:
##0x1c050000!numenor-brokenGlass-ddecffcc-d828-472a-84f3-d6c9b5c9588d_glass_
ddecffcc-d828-472a-84f3-d6c9b5c9588d_txmt

So they are all the same, but the last one. From the way I am reading the torial, they should all be the same, with the exception of the _txmt endings and stuff.

If anyone can she some light on this, I would greatly appreciate it. I know I have to jsut be missing or skipping something small, but I am feeling really dense here and missing it completly.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  SMSSheerGlassTutorial001.zip (14.2 KB, 28 downloads) - View custom content
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#60 Old 17th Mar 2005 at 12:32 AM
Since SimPE changes almost everyday, and this makes difficult to follow the tutorial, I've created a ready-to-use package, and I've updated the tutorial.

STICKYLUNGS, MOC001:
I've examined your packages and I realized that SimPE wasn't working fine: when creating the recolour package for the Sheer Glass Window (windowloftdoublehung), SimPE pulled also some unneeded files from another object (doortwotilewidecommercialplateglass). In both your packages, the name of the Material Definition doesn't match the reference contained in the Material Override.
Sorry for the inconvenience (it wasn't my fault, anyway): SimPE is a great tool, but is still in an Alpha stage, and so its routines sometimes are faulty.
Follow again my (updated) tutorial and use the pre-made package I've prepared.
Test Subject
#61 Old 17th Mar 2005 at 12:41 AM
Thank you!!! LOL, just so i know I was not completly crazy! My main goal is to take one of the 2 story doors, and make it glass. And then have an etching of my Greek Houses letters on it. I am getting ready to try it again now, and hopefully can post some succesful results.
Test Subject
#62 Old 17th Mar 2005 at 2:27 AM
Ok, something still does not seem to be working out here. Sorry to be a pest.

I downloaded the new files.

Is there supposed to be a .package file in there? As it says in step 1 to open the package with SimPE. There are only 4 files in there like before. 2 xml's, a .5tm and a .6tx file. None of them will open with SimPE.

I did try to clone the object Sheer glass, and delete the matd, then import those 2 files as was listed before.

I went thru the rest step by step and have posted the result here if you would not mind taking a look at it again. I really would love to get this to work.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  SMSSheerGlass005.zip (6.4 KB, 27 downloads) - View custom content
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#63 Old 17th Mar 2005 at 7:58 AM
What?! All that work to update the tutorial and I have posted the wrong file...! I must be silly or something (maybe just tired ).
OK, now I've posted the right package, but it contains the files needed to recolour the Sheer Glass window; in order to modify the glass of other objects there is some additional work to do...
OK, let me look at your package.
Test Subject
#64 Old 17th Mar 2005 at 8:34 AM
Worked like a charm! Only problem I see is, now you have gone and made it way to easy! LOL.

Seriously, went thru with no hitch on the 1st try. I just need to play around with the texture itself and get that to where I want it. I was holding off till I could see if I could even get it to work.

I saw other posts in this thread about abbplying that mat/texture to other windows.

Let me see if this sounds right. Lets say I wanted to do this on a door or some object that already has a MATD and Texture file. Would it be as easy as jsut deleting the MATD and Texture of the copy made for recolor, and then going in to update the Override? I'll try and see how that goes.

That you so much at least for this start and your fast responses.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#65 Old 17th Mar 2005 at 9:09 AM
If you experience problems, when exporting the glass from the window to another object, you might find interesting this Check-List.
Remember the window/door you want to import the galss into, must already have a glass part.
And if you are curious about the ##0x1c050000! thing, you can read this post.
And then let me know if you still think it's too easy... :D
Lab Assistant
#66 Old 18th Mar 2005 at 10:04 PM
sorry i have not replied earlyer thank you for looking it now works fine. thank you
Lab Assistant
#67 Old 22nd Mar 2005 at 5:06 PM
Yippeeee!! It worked for me!!! I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how I now make coloured glass - I tried adding colour to the alpha channels but they just came out grey!!! Thanks for fab & easy to follow tutorial!! I will evevntually finally be able to have charmed windows!!!! :D
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#68 Old 22nd Mar 2005 at 5:20 PM
You can't add colour to the Alpha channel: it must be in grey-scale. You can add colours to the main texture, and/or changing the "stdMatDiffCoef" values in the Material Definition (they are RGB values: 1,0,0 means full red; 0,1,0 is full green, and so on).
Lab Assistant
#69 Old 22nd Mar 2005 at 6:12 PM
So to do that would I work in Object workshop as I would with a recolour?!?! Sorry to sound so stupid I am new to recolouring etc!!! BTW I am amazing that you are Italian, your English is Fantastic!!!!!!
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#70 Old 22nd Mar 2005 at 7:41 PM
If you have followed the tutorial, now you have a package that contains:
- a Material Override
- a Material Definition
- a texture with embedded alpha channel (edited by you).

Select the Material Definition and edit the stdMatDiffCoef using the R,G,B values that you like (just to avoid misunderstanding, you have to change the standard RGB values "0.8,0.8,0.8" to anything you like: each value may range from 0 to 1).
Test Subject
#71 Old 29th Mar 2005 at 2:38 AM
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone has sucessfully cloned and made a new mesh for any window frames yet. I've tried, but just get the 'blue flashing disco wall of death'.

Is it possible?

sorry to be off the topic
Lab Assistant
#72 Old 31st Mar 2005 at 11:48 PM
I suppose this means that someone could essentially make screens? I asked about them in a request thread for a screened in porch im making,but no one ever replied....

Big thanks if this can be done!
Test Subject
#73 Old 3rd Apr 2005 at 10:33 PM
First - thanks for the help so far. The tutorial was great.
I'm having some problems - I'm simplly trying to put a small design on a window. I've completed your tutorial, and it comes out okay, but for some reason it doubles the image (one on the middle pane, one on the bottom) even though I've only put the one image in the alpha file. What could cause this?
Also, I'd like to use a different window than the Sheer Glass that your zip was intended for, and I've heard you can use the image on any window, but how? I'm confused as to what everyone means by the LIFO? I don't see any files that end with that extension.
Another - how do I recolor my design so it's not black?
Basically, the end I'm trying to achieve is: a medium-sized window, with my design in the center (in color with some detail). I'm going to use it as a career reward for a career I'm working on, and this window thing is really confusing me.
Thank you for helping!
Test Subject
#74 Old 5th Apr 2005 at 12:29 AM
Ditto, SIMSpeare
Field Researcher
#75 Old 8th Apr 2005 at 6:31 AM
SimSpeare and MilkRose.

I can tell you what's happening there...

It's the way the window mesh has been UV Mapped.

Unfortunately, that's just something we have to live with - unless we mesh a new window, and re-map it.

Kiri

Simthing for everyone

"No Boom Today. Boom Tomorrow. Always Boom Tomorrow" - Ivanova (B5)
Having trouble with the Graphics card and Sims2? Feel free to pm me here, or in this forum at Leefish Sims 2 Graphic Cards
Page 3 of 6