Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Application to convert audio files

by fleabay Posted 25th Jan 2005 at 7:00 AM - Updated 27th Nov 2013 at 9:29 PM by Nysha

58 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 57 Feedback Posts
Page 1 of 3
#2 Old 23rd Feb 2005 at 12:09 AM
Is there a way that a batch script can be run to convert more than one file at a time?
Field Researcher
#3 Old 23rd Feb 2005 at 12:15 AM
Fleabay - help a semi-senile old lady out here - are you telling me there is a way to get classical music into the game?
Test Subject
#4 Old 23rd Feb 2005 at 4:31 PM
Is this for Sims1 Or Sims2? I guess Sims 2 is it?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 23rd Feb 2005 at 10:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tabbysgranhag
Fleabay - help a semi-senile old lady out here - are you telling me there is a way to get classical music into the game?

You can put whatever music into the game by placing MP3 files into a folder in the My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Music\ catagories.

This program should work for Sims 1 and 2 and possiblly other EA or Maxis games.

Test Subject
#6 Old 16th Mar 2005 at 6:22 AM
Thankx. This made it really easy. You rock!
Test Subject
#7 Old 1st Apr 2005 at 5:23 AM
Does it go into the downloads file??
Test Subject
#8 Old 10th Apr 2005 at 12:51 AM
I think this is a separate application that converts .xa files into .wav files. You can then use other programs such as CDex to convert these .wav files into .mp3 files. Happy listening!
Test Subject
#9 Old 23rd Apr 2005 at 4:01 PM
First I thought that SPX1 could be related to Speex ".spx" which is "a free codec for free speech" but their program didn't want to decode any Sims 2 speech files.

Now I'm wondering if the "SPX1 format" somehow might be related to Analog Devices/Soundmax.

On this page: http://www.soundmax.com/products/faqs/SMAXfaq21ch2.html i found the following text.

Quote:
Sound Production eXtensions (SPX) - a set of next-generation audio rendering technologies used in interactive game development to provide 'Animated Audio'

Anyone else interested in editing the speech files who might have some information? This might be something we can ask any of the Maxoids about.
Inventor
#10 Old 29th May 2005 at 12:03 PM Last edited by mod_bv : 29th May 2005 at 12:05 PM. Reason: "Have" wasn't spelt correctly
I have no clue how to play the *.movie files in The Sims 2. I tried Quicktime, cahnged it to .mov, tried .avi, tried .wmv, but it never works! Anyone can help?
Test Subject
#11 Old 31st May 2005 at 6:40 AM

Well, after making a movie in sims 2, it creates it as an avi file... ...so any movie player should be able to recognize it. QuickTime isn't really that reliable, I too have had my fair share of prollems with QuickTime... ...I either use ATI launchpad, Windows Media Player 10 with Windows 9.0 Codec, Realplayer (any version), or jukebox.

I'd try to stay away from QuickTime player, all versions of it, in my opinion, are alittle buggy.

if u need links lemme know.

Those Who Run From The Darkness Are Those Who Are Swallowed By The Light. Those That Creep In The Shadows, Are The Darkness' Shape-shifters.

- imp

Twitter: @Hypnotikid
Firestarter
#12 Old 25th Jun 2005 at 2:11 AM
Does anyone have a program for converting the wavs to an xa? I need to do the opposite of what Xantippe does. I need to be able to take my own wavs and change them to xa format and I can't find anything that does that. If anyone knows of a way or can make a utility for it, please post.
Test Subject
#13 Old 25th Jun 2005 at 3:31 AM

well first you need to d-load a plugin or codec, something that recognizes and plays "xa songs or videos"

then download a ripper "like a wave editor (there are free trials everywhere)"

then you could install the codec or plugin into the wave editor or a music player.

record your wav, click save as then change the extension to .xa

NOTE: both wav editor and xa player should have .xa as a readable extension (if not, then your file cannot be converted)

NOTE: if the file you are trying to view or play, the file shows up with an "open with" selection when you right click it...then you should select the program that plays it.

Also, you may need to pick a more common extension or program that allows numerous plug-ins.

If what I have mentioned helps any, or you need more info, lemme know.

SPECIAL NOTE: all files are coded in different ways, some require special codecs to be read by a certain program (like a media player, flash player, or a game, etc.), once that target program is used, it can either recognize the host file to be read and both share the common codec or have "missing codecs" that cannot be read from the target program, thus it spits out some jargon to the terminal stating that it cannot be read or needs to be shut down due to an "illegal operation" by the host file.

PERSONAL EXPERIENCE: i use a wav editor to convert back and forth between 100 different kinds of music files (in order to do that, I needed a program that plays all 100 of those extensions)

Again, I hoped this helped.

Those Who Run From The Darkness Are Those Who Are Swallowed By The Light. Those That Creep In The Shadows, Are The Darkness' Shape-shifters.

- imp

Instructor
#14 Old 25th Jun 2005 at 3:37 AM
would it be possible for one to do the same thing, except for video files. Not just to help for the sims 2, but for every video chainging stuff out there.
Firestarter
#15 Old 25th Jun 2005 at 5:15 AM
I talked to Quaxi about this. He said he would do a SimPE plugin that converts the XAs and Wavs, but he needs specs for the XA's. Can someone please email any specs you have on XA files to Quaxi? That's all he needs.
Test Subject
#16 Old 25th Jun 2005 at 6:07 AM
:umm:

I don't know about xa files...the closest things I have to that would be (.xm, .wma, .xmz, .wmv, .zst, & .zs).

i have learned about their codecs and specs via google just search for

".xa specifications" or ".xa codecs"... ...on 2nd thought I found something that may or may not help you... ...this site explains all about codecs and it has XAnim as a codec your should do research on.

So on google type "XAnim codecs," and that should help you. Now XAnim is a codec that is recognized by Media Player (if downloaded).

XAnim Codecs

:umm:

- imp

Test Subject
#17 Old 25th Jun 2005 at 12:42 PM
Default About those sound files..
So how does one go abut extracting them from the game with SimPE or anything to begin with? I'd love to know as there are a couple of those college rock tunes that I actually quite like...

Thanks for the help...
Firestarter
#18 Old 25th Jun 2005 at 12:57 PM
All you have to do is take the package files, they are located in TSdata/Res/Sound, that's in the Program Files area. Just open them with Simpe. Extract the files, the ones you can play easily tend to be MP3's, the unplayable ones are XA's. Rename your own music to the exact same long Hash names, replace them in the file, save the file. That's it. However, backup the originals first because the Nightlife installer will look for them. It checks file creation dates and all the Hash names.
Field Researcher
#19 Old 26th Jun 2005 at 3:41 PM
i am guessing that irfanview or winamp doesn't recognize this... maybe something more high end like fruityloops, et. al. so the ultimate end of this would be something handy like replaceing 100% of all the very irritating toddler voice overs in the game that make one want to KILL THE CHILDREN? as well as practical stuff like what the guy who made the modded magical kymengo--- sic--- pure guess work on the spelling there.... you know, it's the object made to turn on and off jelousy. he's a musician and liked this object for his mod on this global behavior, so he put in his own sounds when you use it... nice touch.... maybe ask that cat, sounds like audio software is something he does more than fiddle with. that mod is posted here, shouldn't be hard to dig up if you can spell the thing correctly so the search will work, ha ha.... happy hunting!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 28th Jun 2005 at 9:30 AM
I posted this in the wiki, seems missing now.

Maxis XA specs
Attached files:
File Type: txt  Maxis-XA.txt (8.0 KB, 140 downloads)

#21 Old 4th Jul 2005 at 11:44 PM
:confused: Is there a way to get MIDI files in The Sims 2?
Test Subject
#22 Old 5th Jul 2005 at 3:48 AM

I could... ...I know how to convert midi files into mp3s, it is an easy process, though time consuming...

And to answer your question, if you are speaking in general... ...the sims 2 only recognizes package files, and mp3s.

so, u need to convert the midi to an mp3 in order to have the sims 2 recognize it, otherwise the midi would not be recognized in the sims 2.

- imp

Test Subject
#23 Old 10th Jul 2005 at 7:12 AM
I don't get it?
Field Researcher
#24 Old 10th Jul 2005 at 11:24 AM
how about turning wma files into mp3?

i have a lot of them that i would like to be able to play in my sims1-2 and it will just not read them unless thier mp3 format.

(nether will my player, though it says in the book that it reads wma as well as mp3)
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 10th Jul 2005 at 9:38 PM
Default converting sound files
I understand that this file is to help with changing Maxis files to MP3's, and this is probably a stupid question, but Does it change the language format or the way they speak? I wanted to change how they talk so I can understand what they are speaking, if that is at all possible. I understand alot of things they say by the bubble above their heads but a couple of times they would complain about something or say something and didn't understand and always wished they would talk english.
Page 1 of 3