Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#26 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 3:05 AM Last edited by Kailacat : 29th Jul 2010 at 3:58 AM.
No, what I'm saying is that hacks would make it unclean. Clean when I say that I mean, not a bunch of people having completely different hacks and passing a neighborhood through all those hacks and collecting it all like a lint roller.

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
- Douglas Adams (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)
tumblr
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#27 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 3:11 AM
Oh, also I PMed you but I never attached my E-mail. Should I PM you my Email?
Scholar
#28 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 3:39 AM
Yukkuri:
Quote: Originally posted by perihelion
Everybody who's interested, PM me with your email address and a list of all the EPs and SPs you have.

Ooh! I have another question. Do you think there could be aliens or supernaturals or anything? Probably not, but... it would make it more Sim-like if there was.

tumblr
Banned
Original Poster
#29 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 2:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kailacat

Also, Perihelion, I'm a bit confused about this part:

So we're only playing with our sims? Or are we having the same sort of legacy as the boolprop forums had, where the offspring marries the next person who has the neighborhood. If we only play with our sims and don't touch the other sims, then it wouldn't be a surprise when it got back to us again.

Well, in most multiplayer games you can't touch the other players' stuff, and besides, you CAN play other sims if you make a legacy agreement with another player. Otherwise, each player has their own separate legacy. I just figured it would be kind of annoying to get the hood back and find out my hardworking business tycoon is now a starving artist and single parent to half a dozen alien children. If you don't have a legacy agreement, then your Sims will have to try their luck with the townies. The fun lies in seeing what others have created and done rather than what they've done with your stuff.

So far, judging by the PMs I got, the game would have to be adjusted using Numenor's AnyGameStarter to have only OFB, FT and Seasons, nothing else. As for CC and hacks, I would suggest the simplest way: backup your entire Downloads folder to a DVD, then delete it (or at least rename it so the game can't use it). If your other hoods rely on hacks, don't play them until your Downloads folder is restored.

UPDATE: I just wrote a little .txt file which will be attached to the email along with the neighbourhood, containing the rules and the list of players with their email addresses (so you know how to send it on to :D) I'm off to create the hood now!
Scholar
#30 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 2:55 PM Last edited by Kailacat : 1st Aug 2010 at 8:26 PM.
Yes, but if you take hacks that interact with other people (like Macrotastics) out, then it'll make the super-duper hug option appearing and I can say from personal experience: BAD. I'm just saying, I'm making the game generate a whole new Sims 2 folder just in case, with a clean downloads folder.

Personally, when the neighborhood comes back to me, I'd love if someone played my family/Sim while I was gone. I officially give anyone permission to do that as long as it's not something illogical (like Perihelion's example.) But say, if one of the kids got married, and had some kids of their own, and maybe one did become a starving artist. It would be like being out of touch with a friend and then seeing them again and their lives have gone on as usual. I no longer allow this. The neighborhood will be played on a cycle, and this would mess up the rotation.
I mean... I don't really see the point of playing multiplayer if your sims aren't being played with by someone else. Otherwise, it wouldn't really be multiplayer, would it?

tumblr
Banned
Original Poster
#31 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 3:09 PM
If that's what you want.

Super-duper hug option? What?
Scholar
#32 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 3:15 PM
Some stupid thing Maxis put in. When you take out certain hacks there's an option called DEBUG Super-duper Hug. Okay, let me just quote Mangaroo on this one.

Quote: Originally posted by mangaroo
DEBUG Super Duper Hug is a Maxis game-developer's testing option. It can be invoked in your game if you install then remove or disable a mod that adds social interactions. (For example, a mod that allows vampires to "feed from" or kill their victims or a mod that allows you to control townies' actions, Basically, anything that adds to the clickable menus when you have one Sim selected and click on a non-selected Sim.)

This bug can also be inherited in specific lots if you download and install a lot built by someone with such a mod in their game. (Random plea to creators: build your lots in hack-free games. Clean Installer cannot prevent this particular bug because it is caused by the absence of cc.)

tumblr
Field Researcher
#33 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 3:57 PM
Well, in most multiplayer games you can't touch the other players' stuff, and besides, you CAN play other sims if you make a legacy agreement with another player. Otherwise, each player has their own separate legacy. I just figured it would be kind of annoying to get the hood back and find out my hardworking business tycoon is now a starving artist and single parent to half a dozen alien children. If you don't have a legacy agreement, then your Sims will have to try their luck with the townies. The fun lies in seeing what others have created and done rather than what they've done with your stuff.

So far, judging by the PMs I got, the game would have to be adjusted using Numenor's AnyGameStarter to have only OFB, FT and Seasons, nothing else. As for CC and hacks, I would suggest the simplest way: backup your entire Downloads folder to a DVD, then delete it (or at least rename it so the game can't use it). If your other hoods rely on hacks, don't play them until your Downloads folder is restored.

UPDATE: I just wrote a little .txt file which will be attached to the email along with the neighbourhood, containing the rules and the list of players with their email addresses (so you know how to send it on to :D) I'm off to create the hood now!
But I don't have OFB. So if I get the neighborhood, there will be no OFB stuff
Field Researcher
#34 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 6:35 PM
I dont have OFB either
Test Subject
#35 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 6:48 PM
This sounds like a good idea for TS3, because it is easier to connect the stories of the families with an open neighborhood. Anyone thinks the same?
Field Researcher
#36 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 9:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RoseGirl101
I dont have OFB either
I think a lot of people don't have it
Scholar
#37 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 9:19 PM
Hmm, did both of you PM Perihelion and tell him the EP's you have? I know you PM'd him, Yukkuri, but I don't know what you said in it.

tumblr
Field Researcher
#38 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 9:22 PM
Hmm, did both of you PM Perihelion and tell him the EP's you have? I know you PM'd him, Yukkuri, but I don't know what you said in it.
Yes I did PM him but I said I didnt have OFB...

Maybe they forgot I said no OFB?
Scholar
#39 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 9:26 PM
Well, then we can just stick with playing FT and Seasons. As long as there's Seasons. I don't actually play OFB that much, it's just a bunch of brightly colored stuff that I don't use. And businesses... which are very time-consuming.

tumblr
Field Researcher
#40 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 9:41 PM
Well, then we can just stick with playing FT and Seasons. As long as there's Seasons. I don't actually play OFB that much, it's just a bunch of brightly colored stuff that I don't use. And businesses... which are very time-consuming.
Seasons and Freetime I have
Field Researcher
#41 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 10:17 PM
I pmd him. I only have apartment life and university
Inventor
#42 Old 30th Jul 2010 at 2:11 AM
Well I love the idea of a multiplayer hood, but I guess this one is not gonna play out exactly like I'd imagined something like that would. So good luck with it, but I am out for this round.
Scholar
#43 Old 30th Jul 2010 at 2:20 AM
Er... I don't want to be rude, RoseGirl, quite the opposite, but... Perihelion said that he has already started the hood, and you don't have any of the EP's he's decided on.

tumblr
Field Researcher
#44 Old 30th Jul 2010 at 8:17 AM
Well he should ofmentioned it in here. I didnt see anything about it
Banned
Original Poster
#45 Old 30th Jul 2010 at 8:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by RoseGirl101
Well he should ofmentioned it in here. I didnt see anything about it

I did, you obviously didn't read my posts.

Sorry Rose and Yukkuri, but unless you have the three EPs I mentioned, you'll have to sit this one out.

Kaila: After I finally got AGS working, I noticed that it creates a separate game folder for the special game config. (It has the base hoods in there too! Excellent since I baleeted the ones I had, now I magically get them back! Woot :D) You can just disable your downloads folder without worrying about borking up your other custom hoods. Just unzip the file into the AnyGame directory when you get it and make sure to put the custom terrain file in the right place as well.
transmogrified
retired moderator
#46 Old 30th Jul 2010 at 9:58 AM
I did, you obviously didn't read my posts.

Sorry Rose and Yukkuri, but unless you have the three EPs I mentioned, you'll have to sit this one out.

perihelion, I've re-read your posts, and all you said was
Quote:
So far, judging by the PMs I got, the game would have to be adjusted using Numenor's AnyGameStarter to have only OFB, FT and Seasons, nothing else.

You neglected (until now) to say "Some people who PM'd me don't have these EPs. I'm sorry you won't be able to join this particular experiment." So, unless you had responded directly to those PMs with an explanation, please don't be surprised some people misunderstood and are frustrated by the lack of communication.

In less grandmotherly tones: I hope you and your players will report back. This sounds like an interesting way of playing! appelsagodin, I like your version as well. Maybe you could organize a separate group where players play everyone's Sims in rotation? Sounds like you and kailacat could arrange a group who wanted to play all-EPs + ACR? And, of course, this also goes for players who want to do a cc-free, basegame-only version. Perihelion can't run a game for everyone's needs, but you can! (And then you have to report back or maybe link to a shared blog detailing the evolving story...because I really, really want to see how this plays out.)
Mad Poster
#47 Old 30th Jul 2010 at 12:50 PM
If anyone wold like to do a basegame only, CC free version, I would be happy to set that up, but you'll have to wait a few days as I'm at my parents' house at the moment and didn't bring my laptop (and boy oh boy was that a mistake!). If anyone's interested, PM me. I'll try sending the neighbourhood on through a PM once it's set up, but if that doesn't work I may need your email adresses later. Mangaroo, I don't supose you have any idea of whether that would be possible, do you? Maybe the file would be too big or something?

Oh, and Perihelion, I'd definitely still like to play in your one too, I have all the EPs you mentioned. It sounds like a lot of fun! And if appelsapgodin/kailacat/someone else sets up one with all EPs and ACR I'd like to join that one too please (I'd be willing to set it up if nobody else has time but I've never used ACR before so not sure how that works....) :-) Yes, I have a lot of time on my hands! :-D
Scholar
#48 Old 30th Jul 2010 at 2:02 PM
Kaila: After I finally got AGS working, I noticed that it creates a separate game folder for the special game config. (It has the base hoods in there too! Excellent since I baleeted the ones I had, now I magically get them back! Woot :D) You can just disable your downloads folder without worrying about borking up your other custom hoods. Just unzip the file into the AnyGame directory when you get it and make sure to put the custom terrain file in the right place as well.

Separate game folder? You mean like another Sims 2 folder? Cuz you know the game can do that by itself.
I really don't think my computer can stand any more "programs and utilities" in the game, so I think I might pass on AGS.
Also, speaking of custom terrain, what have you made the neighborhood like so far, or have you not gotten there?

edit: Laura, before starting my own I'm gonna do this one so I can figure out what the best way for doing this is. But perhaps I could do one after my round of the first neighborhood.

tumblr
Inventor
#49 Old 30th Jul 2010 at 2:16 PM
Well, I didn't want to butt in and take over Perihelion's plans, but yeah I would be willing (and able) to set up an exchanche with a clean/ all EP&SP/ ACR hood. So if 4/5 people would like to play a hood that way. I wouldn't mind organising it. (Would also be a nice way to revive my own old sims-playing blog.)

I don't have time to do this before the end of the summervacation though since I just heard I have to leave my house soon and expect to be in the middle of a move during the end of august/ beginning of september. But if that situation has resolved somewhere in September one way or the other, I'm game.
Banned
Original Poster
#50 Old 30th Jul 2010 at 3:07 PM
Separate game folder? You mean like another Sims 2 folder? Cuz you know the game can do that by itself.
I really don't think my computer can stand any more "programs and utilities" in the game, so I think I might pass on AGS.
Also, speaking of custom terrain, what have you made the neighborhood like so far, or have you not gotten there?

Yeah! The path goes something like My Documents/AnyGameStarter/AnyGame1/EA Games/The Sims 2.

Unless you're willing to uninstall and reinstall EPs and SPs every time it's your turn, or you're a master at redirecting folders, I strongly recommend using AGS to avoid contaminating the hood with features from other EPs and possibly borking it.

Anyway, I'm done. I used a terrain I previously made and set up the hood, made my sim in CAS, moved him in and played a full cycle. Just have to pack everything up and it'll be on its way to Kaila. Hopefully that will be enough time for Laura to get back before it's her turn.

Mangaroo: I replied to the PMs telling those with the wrong EPs that they would not be able to join us.
Page 2 of 8