Replies: 26 (Who?), Viewed: 13631 times.
Page 1 of 2
Retired
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Dec 2010 at 10:26 AM Last edited by kiwi_tea : 12th Dec 2010 at 2:04 PM.
Default Character Import XML - potential for better prepopulation?
I've been fixing some missing data from the dead Sims in the WA locations with some default replacement world files (http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=427945). Specifically I'm adding traits and lifetime wishes, mainly because it annoys me that EA overlooked them, and I'm doing this by editing the Character Import XML in each of the WA worlds. (Original files backed up for patching, etc, of course). Generally this is the only XML in a world file, and I'm quite curious about its exact purpose, because it is absent from both Sunset Valley and worlds prepopulated using current methods, and they seem to function fine without it.

I do notice that this XML allows for the creation of dead sims, something world builders still can't do. The mechanics of this are a mystery to me, though.

If you understand more about this file than I do and can explain its function in simple terms, I'd appreciate it.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
DELETED POST
12th Dec 2010 at 10:27 AM
This message has been deleted by HystericalParoxysm. Reason: Nonsense.
Advertisement
Retired
retired moderator
Original Poster
#2 Old 13th Dec 2010 at 9:37 PM Last edited by kiwi_tea : 13th Dec 2010 at 9:49 PM.
Some comments about this XML. The basics are that you need Sims in the world already, and this lets you organise them. The details in this XML will override all the details of any Sims you export in the world.

This XML, when imported into custom worlds, appears to mess with flyovers. I'm not certain why, that needs investigation but can probably be circumvented/fixed.

There are sections to describe first all the households in the world, and then all the Sims and their relationships. It's all pretty intuitive, but I'll lay it out all the same. The elements break up thusly:

Quote:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<CharacterImport>

<Households>
<HouseholdId></HouseholdId>
<FamilyName></FamilyName>
<Funds>0</Funds>
<HouseholdName>Gameplay/Excel/PV/Households:HouseholdNameNotSpecified</HouseholdName>
<HouseholdBio>Gameplay/Excel/PV/Households:HouseholdBioNotSpecified</HouseholdBio>
</Households>

<Sims>
<SimDescriptionId></SimDescriptionId>
<SpreadSheetUniqueID></SpreadSheetUniqueID>
<FirstName></FirstName>
<LastName></LastName>
<PercentageAgeStateComplete>0</PercentageAgeStateComplete>
<Traits></Traits>
<Skills></Skills>
<LifetimeWish></LifetimeWish>
<Sign></Sign>
<CelebrityLevel></CelebrityLevel>
<PreferredRole></PreferredRole>
<OccultType></OccultType>
<CareerName></CareerName>
<CareerLevel></CareerLevel>
<CareerLocation></CareerLocation>
<CareerBranch>Base</CareerBranch>
<CareerPerformance></CareerPerformance>
<HasRetired>0</HasRetired>
<AgeWhenStartedJob></AgeWhenStartedJob>
<Fitness>-100</Fitness>
<Weight>-100</Weight>
<GenderPreference>N</GenderPreference>
<Description>DescriptionNotSpecified</Description>
<PercentagePregnant>-1</PercentagePregnant>
<PregnancyPartner></PregnancyPartner>
</Sims>

<Relationships>
<Sim_1></Sim_1>
<Sim_2></Sim_2>
<Sim_3></Sim_3>
<Sim_4></Sim_4>
<Sim_5></Sim_5>
<Sim_6></Sim_6>
<Sim_7></Sim_7>
<Sim_8></Sim_8>
<Sim_9></Sim_9>
<Sim_10></Sim_10>
</Relationships>
<Relationships>
<SpreadSheetUniqueID>Sim_1</SpreadSheetUniqueID>
<Sim_2>Good Friend</Sim_2>
<Sim_34>Friend</Sim_34>
</Relationships>
<Relationships>
<Sim_34>siblingOf</Sim_34>
</Relationships>
<Relationships>
<SpreadSheetUniqueID>Sim_2</SpreadSheetUniqueID>
<Sim_34>Spouse</Sim_34>
</Relationships>

<DeadSims>
<FirstName></FirstName>
<LastName></LastName>
<Traits></Traits>
<Skills></Skills>
<Fitness>0.25</Fitness>
<Weight>0</Weight>
</DeadSims>

<TownieSims>
<FirstName></FirstName>
<LastName></LastName>
<Traits></Traits>
<Skills></Skills>
<Fitness>0.25</Fitness>
<Weight>0</Weight>
</TownieSims>

<ServiceNPCSims>
<FirstName></FirstName>
<LastName></LastName>
<Traits></Traits>
<Skills></Skills>
<Fitness>0.25</Fitness>
<Weight>0</Weight>
</ServiceNPCSims>

< /CharacterImport >

Each Sim has a unique identification number, for example Kim Sun Young in Shang Simla has: 5939685142644166528. This seems to be the only crucial piece of information. All changes in this XML will override the traits/weight/celebrity status etc of the Sim with this Id. You can find your Sim's Id and their current household using Twallan's DebugEnabler's "Who Am I?" interaction on the necessary Sim, and this also displays the current household Id for that Sim. Each Sim can also have a spreadsheet Id, but this is just to set up the relationships when the world is loaded. Kim Sun Young is Sim_1. If you look in the relationships above you will see she is friends with Sim_2 and Sim_34, as well as Sim_34's sibling.

If any WA Sims have ever joined your family (high risk as that may be) then you'll notice their description text literally displays the words entered above: "DescriptionNotSpecified". Adding description texts is as simple as changing this value.

Adding traits, etc requires knowing what the game identifies each as. As of Late Night here's a list:

This looks like a really useful resource that could ensure populating worlds is safer (ie less time spent running the game, and a fresher start for Sims). I think it definitely warrants a great deal more investigation and testing.

Test Subject
DELETED POST
14th Dec 2010 at 8:46 AM
This message has been deleted by sleepalldaypartyallnight.
retired moderator
#3 Old 14th Dec 2010 at 10:08 AM
Very interesting research, kiwi_tea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi_tea
This XML, when imported into custom worlds, appears to mess with flyovers. I'm not certain why, that needs investigation but can probably be circumvented/fixed.

Do the flyovers stop working, or something else? This is like changing a world to a city- it messes something else up!

I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
-RUSH- -RADIO- -ARCHIVES-
Simpeople and Me Archive- -11Dots Archive- My Sims World Archive
Retired
retired moderator
Original Poster
#4 Old 15th Dec 2010 at 2:22 PM
Well, what happened when I replaced the XML inside France was that the flyover on Sunset Valley changed. Odd, I know. I was even working in a fresh install.

I've run into a weird issue as well. I made a heap of changes to the Sim Import XML in France again, adding lots of details to the Sims but not removing any, and the world is loading up without the XML. It worked for a short period of time, when I made minor changes. Now it doesn't work at all.

I can't pinpoint why it has stopped working. I'd be interested to see what happens if other people try editing Sims this way. The best way to test is to add celebrity status because you can just pause the game and mouse over the French Sims to see if it's worked.

retired moderator
#5 Old 8th Jan 2011 at 12:04 AM
Kiwi_tea, I played around with this and managed to get it to work all right- I had no problem with the Sunset Valley flyover, even when I made more changes to the xml. It all worked as you said- the sims have descriptions and I was able to give some of them celeb rating.

I was looking at the in-game worldbuilderoutput command- this generates some character export files with various details, but not in the right order or format for use in the import xml. I was wondering whether there was a way of using this data, or whether there was another command to export more useful data. It would be great if we could build our world, then put it in game, populate it and from that generate the information to make the import file.

The one thing that I cannot figure out is the Simdescription ID- this is referenced in the import file, but I can only find it referenced in the OBJS of the world file. What I'm wondering is how this ID is generated and how we can give a simdescription ID to sims we import to the world file. What I'm aiming for is to be able to create some households, generate the xml and then import families/ .sim files and xml into the World File, instead of actually having to manually add them in EIG.Not sure if it's possible, but it's worth a try! I've been looking at this on and off for the last few weeks and not getting anywhere!

Attached are the output files (one for 'visible' sims and one for 'non visible' -off-world) generated by 'worldbuilderoutput' command.
Download - please read all instructions before downloading any files!
File Type: zip CharacterExport_DBCAC7B8.zip (2.7 KB, 53 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: zip CharacterExport_FF31EB80.zip (48.2 KB, 36 downloads) - View custom content

Field Researcher
#6 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 2:39 AM
Ok I'm looking at this and have a possibly dumb question coming from complete lack of XML fussing experience-

As things stand, does this give a way to just make up dead Sims somehow as XML, or turn some random townies made into dead sims?

For example, if I place families and townies and things in EIG, would it be a case of opening, and using cut & paste/re-flagging to just designate some as dead Sims that'd then be around the cemetary/mausoleum?

EDIT: and also, (sorry if I'm just somehow not having good reading comprehension) has it been looked at in terms of placing dead Sims somewhere OTHER than a Cemetary? My Island had a tomb lot or three that I'd loved to have somehow stuffed a couple of actual ghosts into....
Retired
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 4:17 AM
Unfortunately, even using this method, CAW doesn't seem capable of rendering and saving ghost Sims properly.

Field Researcher
#8 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 2:27 PM
But what I meant was, after completely finishing with the CAW and EIG steps, has this been working stable enough that if I do plant some Sims that way, they can be edited in the world package somehow since the XML overwrites/changes things? I'm assuming you're changing the files with S3PE or some other application to be able to go in and edit for a world- or is it just a saved game that can be edited this way?
Retired
retired moderator
Original Poster
#9 Old 23rd May 2011 at 12:14 PM
Quote:
The one thing that I cannot figure out is the Simdescription ID- this is referenced in the import file, but I can only find it referenced in the OBJS of the world file. What I'm wondering is how this ID is generated and how we can give a simdescription ID to sims we import to the world file. What I'm aiming for is to be able to create some households, generate the xml and then import families/ .sim files and xml into the World File, instead of actually having to manually add them in EIG.Not sure if it's possible, but it's worth a try! I've been looking at this on and off for the last few weeks and not getting anywhere!

I've made a small breakthrough late at night here, which I'll follow up more thoroughly in the morning, but twallan's DebugEnabler allows you to see the Simdescription ID. I'll check if it changes between creating a Sim in game and exporting a Sim into the world, and give details when I have them.

@baka - It is edited with s3pe, but even so there's no adding ghosts. When I tried to make Sims into deceased Sims using the XML they simply stayed alive.

Lab Assistant
#10 Old 9th Jun 2011 at 7:22 PM
I found an intereting cheat in the cheat list in EIG today ... two actually.

1. worldbuilderimport
2. worldbuilderoutput

Output created two xml files - one for invisible sims and one for visible sims. Using output in the cheat console gave me the two file names. They are put into your The Sims 3/exports folder.

I only found these cheats in EIG. They weren't listed at all in the regular game.

God Bless,
mik
retired moderator
#11 Old 9th Jun 2011 at 9:39 PM
Mik, that's the cheat I was playing with in my post above. I would like to know more about it, too!

Retired
retired moderator
Original Poster
#12 Old 18th Jun 2011 at 9:05 PM
I really hate how stumped I am with this. :/

Test Subject
#13 Old 2nd Jul 2011 at 11:01 PM
Default XML method
Is there a tutorial for using the XML method for moving in Sims into a CaW?
retired moderator
#14 Old 3rd Jul 2011 at 12:54 AM
Improvman- no, just Kiwi's instructions in post #2. As you can see, we are still trying to figure this out- if you'd like to play around with it, we'd be grateful to know anything you manage to find out.

Retired
retired moderator
Original Poster
#15 Old 31st Jul 2011 at 4:16 AM
Okay. I'm trying and trying and trying to edit France and *something* is going wrong, but I can't pin down what it is.

When I import the file I've attached into France, I get most of the changes, but not all of them.

I know you need to clear the world caches and start a new save to get the changes to show up. It's neither of those.

It should provide all the sims with flavour texts, some with celebrity status, and all the households should get funds and a flavour text.

The one thing that's gone wrong is with the household texts. They're very wrong. They don't show up, with one exception: Jean Luc Beaumont's household.

I can't work out why this is. Could somebody please try this out and tell me what results they get?
Download - please read all instructions before downloading any files!
File Type: rar FranceCharacterImportXML.rar (6.5 KB, 25 downloads) - View custom content

Lab Assistant
#16 Old 31st Jul 2011 at 7:01 AM
From my personal sim experience isn't France poorly written causing many bugs to occur,
the Fly-overs are done by INI files which after some research I found are closely linked to the XML langue so perhaps some overlap with the code? who knows and Mikka, I thought that was part of NRaa Debug Enabler thus part of the game core, Very interesting stuff Kiwi, although wouldn't it be quite laborious to write custom XML for each sim or have I missed somthing.

Experience a truly beautiful and unigue neighbourhoood http://gatescove.weebly.com
Retired
retired moderator
Original Poster
#17 Old 31st Jul 2011 at 7:46 AM Last edited by kiwi_tea : 31st Jul 2011 at 8:04 AM.
It would be, and even just updating the WA worlds so that the Sims have personalities is. But if we master it, it may provide more control than we currently have.

I *think*, judging from experiments, that setting premade Sims as "Mummy" occult status stops the world loading. At least, that looks like a correlation so far.

retired moderator
#18 Old 31st Jul 2011 at 7:32 PM
Quote:
The one thing that's gone wrong is with the household texts. They're very wrong. They don't show up, with one exception: Jean Luc Beaumont's household.

I can't work out why this is. Could somebody please try this out and tell me what results they get?

I'm not even getting a household text for Beaumont; also all funds are set to zero.

Retired
retired moderator
Original Poster
#19 Old 31st Jul 2011 at 9:59 PM
Righty-o! Hooray for the light of morning! I think I've found the problem.

I was sure the problem was that the worlds were caching somewhere, and pulling that instead of the updated XML info, but I had previously thought all the caching of that nature was done in the My Documents folder. I was looking and looking for where might hold a cache relating to the WA worlds, and coming up empty because they are cached in the Program Files directory.

Program Files/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3 World Adventures/Caches.

Delete the cached worlds from that directory, and you should get the changes on the next load. Let me know if that's not the case. Obviously this is only an issue with the WA worlds, because all the other cache to My Docs, but it's good to know.

I've mucked up the formating for the Petit Godard house, but all the other changes I made seem to be intact. Good. With this information in hand I can finally polish and release these overrides.

It only took, what, months? For me to work out such a simple thing! :P

retired moderator
#20 Old 31st Jul 2011 at 10:02 PM
Quote:
I was looking and looking for where might hold a cache relating to the WA worlds, and coming up empty because they are cached in the Program Files directory.

Program Files/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3 World Adventures/Caches.

Sorry to tell you, but I had already removed those static caches when I tested.

Retired
retired moderator
Original Poster
#21 Old 31st Jul 2011 at 10:15 PM Last edited by kiwi_tea : 31st Jul 2011 at 11:01 PM.
Ah. Curses! I'm so confused then. :S

There's something I'm missing, because they just loaded for me fine this time.

Edit: The bizarre thing is Calisims was also kind enough to test this this morning, and she got all the changes I made applied. :/

retired moderator
#22 Old 31st Jul 2011 at 11:35 PM Last edited by simsample : 1st Aug 2011 at 12:54 AM.
Okay, I'll test again. Here's what I did, I imported the xml into France.world, removed the static caches, created a new save game and made a random sim go off to France. Then I checked to see if the changes were there. It's possible I did something wrong, I'll have another go!
ETA: Nope, still not working, with al caches deleted and no mods in-game. Tested on some fresh EA world games. I had it working once before, so can't figure out why your custom xml shouldn't work, Kiwi! Am I doing something wrong?

Retired
retired moderator
Original Poster
#23 Old 1st Aug 2011 at 12:59 AM
This is exactly what happens to me. It's not that it doesn't work, it's that it doesn't work consistently.

And I can't work out why not. I just had another player in the Random Legacy Challenge thread report it worked perfectly for them. The only thing I did differently, was I used a completely 100% fresh back up of France, without ellacharm3d's routing fixes, or anything. But I do not see how that would make any difference at all. It's enough to drive a man to superstitious thinking!

retired moderator
#24 Old 1st Aug 2011 at 1:37 AM
If it's any help, I can get the XML you put up on your old thread to work every time:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=427945

The main difference that I can see is that you have family name and fund fields in the one that does not work:
<FamilyName>Beaumont</FamilyName>
<Funds>15000</Funds>
Which is not present in the one that does work.

Also, I tested it on Gameversion 1.19, in case that's relevant.

Retired
retired moderator
Original Poster
#25 Old 1st Aug 2011 at 2:00 AM
Hmmm. Yeah, I've removed the FamilyName field earlier when I was testing it myself. I started to suspect that. It made no difference. Funds do apply, for myself and for Calisims, and I've had this issue with XMLs I made before I ever inserted funds. It doesn't seem to be a matter of what's in the XML, that I can see. I've spent a great deal of time blaming what's in the XML, and I've tried changing it over and over again - I've gone quite OCD over this in the past few months. Eventually I put it down in disgust and confusion. There is something I'm overlooking, or something I don't understand yet, happening. It's driving me up the wall.

Why, for example, has this *just* started working for me? And why did it work for Calisims and co, but not for you?

Calisims and I were using the latest patch, we just had a discussion about patching in the Legacy thread. It's very odd, because the file itself seems so straightforward.

Page 1 of 2