Replies: 12 (Who?), Viewed: 2505 times.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Dec 2010 at 9:09 AM
Default Some problems with my world (lol)
Title sounds funny. Anyway I made this pretty awesome world which loads seriously fast for me (which makes me really happy) but I have a couple of problems...I'll list them below in the hopes that someone can help me out .

1. Some of my house lots, after being cloned and rotated, had blank cubes in front of one of the steps up to the house. I couldnt click on it, and it didnt show up in game so I ignored it....however sims keep having problems using those stairs and have started using the back door to enter and leave the house. Not sure what the cube (which is gone from CAW now) meant or how to fix it, the other cloned lots are A OK, it's just the rotated ones for the opposite side of the street which arent .

2. I built and fully furnished my homes in the "edit in game" mode, but when I move sims in or move myself into these homes (choosing fully furnished) I'm missing a lot of furniture and items. For example, none of the homes I made have bar stools in them, lights, and a couple of other objects which vanished. Why did they vanish? Can I fix it?

3. Why don't my roads and footpaths show up under lots? I wanted a footpath to go through a park, for example, but it just vanished under the lot. How do I fix that?

4. I have two married couples which I moved into homes and they sleep in separate beds despite there being a better double bed being available to them. They're at 100% relationship....why arent they sleeping in the same bed and making babies for my town?! They're sleeping in what should be their future kids beds and not filling their nursery with screaming babies so I'm not happy with them lol.

5. When I'm in a profession it tells me " Town council" has promoted me...how do I make it have a name there instead of a big gap?

And finally I have a few questions :D

1. I want to eventually share this world, but the sims in it are AMAZING looking so I also want to have those sims in it for people. How do I share with sims? I have copies of each sim in my library but I wasnt sure how to do it.

2. Is there any rules for sharing worlds on here? I don't think I've ever uploaded content here before.

3. Say I lay all my roads accidentally in the base game road, can I change which road they are without having to re-lay them?

4. I want to put fences up around the world....can I do that without having to place lots around half of my world?

Jade Elizabeth (Alundra)
Just call me Al
Advertisement
The Camera Eye
retired moderator
#2 Old 14th Dec 2010 at 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alundra
1. Some of my house lots, after being cloned and rotated, had blank cubes in front of one of the steps up to the house. I couldnt click on it, and it didnt show up in game so I ignored it....however sims keep having problems using those stairs and have started using the back door to enter and leave the house.

Delete the stairs and replace them- use moveobjects on and the hammer tool to remove the boxes. They are some kind of routing marker and started appearing on lots built before a certain patch when payed in later game versions.

Quote:
2. I built and fully furnished my homes in the "edit in game" mode, but when I move sims in or move myself into these homes (choosing fully furnished) I'm missing a lot of furniture and items. For example, none of the homes I made have bar stools in them, lights, and a couple of other objects which vanished. Why did they vanish? Can I fix it?

Are these custom items, store items or in-game items?

Quote:
3. Why don't my roads and footpaths show up under lots? I wanted a footpath to go through a park, for example, but it just vanished under the lot. How do I fix that?

You cannot- the game treats lots as completely separate from the world itself, so the lot has its own routing. Paths and roads cannot exist on a lot. The best you could do is to have the path going to the edge of the lot and using matching floor tiles to continue the path through your lot.

Quote:
4. I have two married couples which I moved into homes and they sleep in separate beds despite there being a better double bed being available to them. They're at 100% relationship....why arent they sleeping in the same bed and making babies for my town?! They're sleeping in what should be their future kids beds and not filling their nursery with screaming babies so I'm not happy with them lol.

What type of relationship do they have? Unless they are romantically involved they will not share a bed. Also, they may just have chosen the kids beds because they are slightly better comfort/ sleep rating. Once a sim chooses a bed then they will continue to choose that bed. The way to break this is to direct your sims to use the double bed; after a few nights they should autonomously choose that bed.

Quote:
5. When I'm in a profession it tells me " Town council" has promoted me...how do I make it have a name there instead of a big gap?

Does your world have a name and description given to it in CAW? Usually the name is pulled from here if needed in game.

Quote:
And finally I have a few questions :D

1. I want to eventually share this world, but the sims in it are AMAZING looking so I also want to have those sims in it for people. How do I share with sims? I have copies of each sim in my library but I wasnt sure how to do it.

You can either do this:
http://www.simswiki.info/wiki.php?t...ting_CAW_Worlds
Or else, just offer people a savegame file with all families moved in to your world.

Quote:
2. Is there any rules for sharing worlds on here? I don't think I've ever uploaded content here before.

Here:
http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...s/Sims_3_Worlds

Quote:
3. Say I lay all my roads accidentally in the base game road, can I change which road they are without having to re-lay them?

No, you cannot edit the base road. You need to replace the roads with a custom road(s), then you can edit the textures used.

Quote:
4. I want to put fences up around the world....can I do that without having to place lots around half of my world?

There are fence objects in CAW. If you want to just stop sims from going to certain places, use the routing paint.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Dec 2010 at 11:30 AM
1. Wow I didnt know that. I'm up to date with patches though and I built the house two days ago (after latest patch). I'll play around and see if I can get them back :D.

2. Base game/EP items. It's that light that's the "bent" square with the gold chains going to each corner, and the sit up straight bar stools. I believe that's the name. I havent used any custom content at all except for some road textures which I have to ask for permission to use if I upload .

3. Damn. Thanks for the info though, I appreciate it :D.

4. They're young adults, 100% relationship, and just married. The kids beds are 9/3/6 and the double bed is 10/3/7 (iconic twin and the iconic queen). It's really frustrating. I guess I'll have to play in their house for a little bit to get it to work right.

5. Yes, if you're referring to the name and description thingie I had to do before I could export my world....no if anything else.

Q1 & 2. THANK YOU!! Awesome :D.

Q4. No I need to make it look like people put fences up to stop stupid sims falling down a fairly steep hill into the ocean lol. Thanks!! :D

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it :D. I have one more question. Do sidewalks have to be connected to roads via an intersection or can they just connect to the road as is?

Jade Elizabeth (Alundra)
Just call me Al
The Camera Eye
retired moderator
#4 Old 14th Dec 2010 at 11:48 AM
1) Hmm, I've never seen the white block things on stairs other than on old lots- must be a new glitch, then. Anyway, still try deleting and rebuilding the stairs.

2) Not sure why they aren't showing them- try editing the lot to replace the items. I've never seen this in my game, so the only thing I can think of if is you have some sort of custom content or mod interfering?

4) Yes, try directing the sims to use the bed you want them to, to break the 'habit'!

5) Could be an EA glitch- there are lots of places in the game text where they have missed out things, or misspelled.

Fences- in that case try the CAW fence objects, there are several there- type 'fence' into your metadata filter.
Sidewalks- No, you can just connect a path up to a sidewalk/ road without a connector- just visually line it up. The only time you need the path/ sidewalk intersections is if you are connecting three or four paths. If you are just connecting two, snap them together like you do with roads.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 18th Dec 2010 at 2:04 PM Last edited by Alundra : 18th Dec 2010 at 2:19 PM.
I think I'm going to make a new world, and add the Late Night stuff in. I'm going to be putting a bunch of my own sims in though, so just to clarify on the save game method (cause it doesnt say) do I just zip up the folder inside the saves folder or is there more to it? I assume I'd also need to supply the world too.

If I run the game without custom content will my save game not include any custom content? What if I remove everything and play with the master controller so I can pollinate sims and edit their skills? Will it be okay? I don't want to mess anyone elses game up .

Edit: I'm also planning to use my own terrains and road textures...would I need to do anything special to have those work for others?

Jade Elizabeth (Alundra)
Just call me Al
The Camera Eye
retired moderator
#6 Old 18th Dec 2010 at 8:19 PM
Yes, people do need to install the world file as well as to put the save in their saves folder for it to work. You just zip up the appropriate save from inside your saves folder, as you supposed.

You should check your packaged world file (Sims3pack) with CUSTARD to check that it's clean before uploading it.
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=390235
The savegame itself will not include custom content, but if you have used any CC in your world (or in the savegame) then you should link to it in your download thread.

It's fine to use mods such as master Controller to edit sims but remember that some mods inject code into the save and so need correct uninstalling. Also, some core mods (such as Awesome) should not be used as they cannot be uninstalled from your save.

Terrains and road textures that you use in CAW will be included in the world itself, so people will not need to download those to use your world.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 20th Dec 2010 at 6:56 AM
Thanks!!!

I will be using the master controller....so if I make it add skills to certain sims, will their skills be there when I save? What about pollinating the sims? Will that work out if I let them show they're pregnant first?

Jade Elizabeth (Alundra)
Just call me Al
The Camera Eye
retired moderator
#8 Old 20th Dec 2010 at 8:48 AM
Yes, it will all be in the savegame. The best thing you can do is to try things out for yourself- that way you'll be able to find out the answers to your own questions.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 20th Dec 2010 at 2:55 PM
Usually I do... I guess I was just trying to figure out what sort of data would be left behind. I don't understand how mods work so I was just trying to figure out whether you meant something I could see (such as skills) or something I couldnt see (such as code) would be left behind. Cause I would never have guessed it would change things for save game files.

I know I'm probably annoying the crap out of you guys with all of my questions . I just want to do this right and not screw anyone up .

Jade Elizabeth (Alundra)
Just call me Al
The Camera Eye
retired moderator
#10 Old 20th Dec 2010 at 4:41 PM
Quote:
Usually I do... I guess I was just trying to figure out what sort of data would be left behind.

I'm not sure what you're asking here- do you mean what data the mods you use leave behind? If so, you'd need to check with the creator for that information.

Quote:
I don't understand how mods work so I was just trying to figure out whether you meant something I could see (such as skills) or something I couldnt see (such as code) would be left behind. Cause I would never have guessed it would change things for save game files.

Master Controller should be okay but some of Twallan's other mods (and indeed, some mods by other creators) add code to your save. As long as you read the information at the place where you downloaded any mods you use from, then you will know which mods do this.

Quote:
I know I'm probably annoying the crap out of you guys with all of my questions . I just want to do this right and not screw anyone up .

Nah, you're not annoying me- sorry if I gave you that impression! But most of what I learn is from trying things out and seeing what happens, so don't be afraid to try things out. If you want people to download your world and savegame then test things out- when you have it all ready, generate yourself a clean Sims 3 folder and then install your world and the save, and try it out.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 21st Dec 2010 at 12:03 AM
Thanks for that . I just felt annoying cause I have so many questions...and some I just can't figure out by myself (and I have a hard time explaining what I mean). I used to create lots for the sims 2, and I hardly ever needed to ask a thing; most of what I needed was in tutorials. Unfortunately I only released a couple to TSR. I sort of want to get into it again with worlds, only I want to release them this time.

I'd have released the one I was talking about in this topic since I'd fixed the issues and testing was going well, but I got Late night and the world I made wasnt really ready for that. So I've decided to make a better world! It's going to have a LOT of customisation. It's got a lot of inspiration from the haunted pod villiage if that gives you any idea, at least in architecture .

Jade Elizabeth (Alundra)
Just call me Al
The Camera Eye
retired moderator
#12 Old 21st Dec 2010 at 9:00 AM
Good, we look forward to this world!

Also, when you find out how to do things with world creation, you can always write a wiki article for it. Then, you could let us know and we can link it in so that people will see it, if it's useful. We do have some CAW tutorials, but there are gaps.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 21st Dec 2010 at 1:27 PM
Ya shouldnt have said that! I'm a manic writer who's written so many technical documents it's not funny. Now I HAVE to write out anything I find out LOL!

Jade Elizabeth (Alundra)
Just call me Al