Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Dec 2010 at 9:14 AM
Default Got a problem with invisible water
In CAW:

In Game:

In CAW (zoomed):

In Game (zoomed):

I seem to have a severe drought caused by invisible water? I have tried raising and lowering the water levels but it doesnt help any, and if I raise it too much it floods my main area anyway. I've tried rescuplting the areas over and over but that doesnt help any either. I've tried making the areas it happens deeper and shallower but neither has any effect. I've also made the areas a little wider but so far it doesnt have any effect.

I've also tried making my graphic settings super high in game but that doesnt help any for the in game version. It seems to happen in areas where there's only a few squares for the water to be, and there's tall "ground" around it.....but I do not want to remove the little rivers cause they look so good!!

Anyone got any ideas?

Jade Elizabeth (Alundra)
Just call me Al
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 21st Dec 2010 at 10:50 AM
I don't think there is a permanent fix for that however there are 2 temporary things that might benefit you. First one try smoothing the edges and at the top and bottom of your rock walls, its may not be the best thing but it generally helps to reduce it. The other I can think about is creating a texture that reflects the blue of the water and paint underneath the parts that turn invisible.
The Camera Eye
retired moderator
#3 Old 21st Dec 2010 at 11:29 AM
I always get this problem too. I've found no sure cure, but sometimes what Encloped has mentioned can help. Try exporting your heighmap and reimporting it- on occasions forcing the world to re-calculate/ redraw the terrain may make an improvement. Otherwise I've had some luck with re-sculpting, and often using the masks (to protect areas of terrain from change) can help you to get a clean edge to an area of terrain, so minimising the tears.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#4 Old 21st Dec 2010 at 11:37 AM
Unfortunately I don't think there's any surefire fix besides trying some of the suggestions here. This happens even with EA worlds - look in France by the little island with the ruins. There's a big blocky chunk of invisible water just like that.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 21st Dec 2010 at 1:13 PM
Aww that sucks .

I don't want to paint under my water cause I read somewhere on here that it's more stuff for your world to load that it doesnt need (then again if I use, say sand, which is also used elsewhere would that hurt much?). Currently my world is all in purple dirt lol and it's making the water look teal. I'm going to look into making the water more teal and brighter later but I wanted to solve this problem first..

I can't believe it's an EA bug. It pretty much kills my world's mood and beauty . I thought it might have something to do with reflections (since I have them disabled) but I can't test it cause putting reflections on overloads my graphics chip in this laptop . Placing a mirror with it on instantly killed it, it was horrible. I guess I'll have to try resculpting until it quits freaking out.

As for height maps....I thought you couldnt export them?

Jade Elizabeth (Alundra)
Just call me Al
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#6 Old 21st Dec 2010 at 1:20 PM
Sure you can. You can export/import a new heightmap at any time, it seems. IIRC it's on the Terrain thing near the terrain painting/sculpting button.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 21st Dec 2010 at 2:01 PM
OMG HOW DID I MISS THAT?! Talk about a blonde moment!! Thanks :D. If I'd have found that earlier...

...okay after looking at it there's no way in hell I could have done it in photoshop LOL...I don't think I could even edit it now that it is done... It's so small..

Anyway, 100 years of sitting here trying to get my water to re-appear....I think it works in giant squares. No really, it only leaves triangles free, but if you make the triangle into a square it works out... And it REALLY doesnt like smoothing lol.

Thanks guys!! I've learned so much from you all!! :D

Jade Elizabeth (Alundra)
Just call me Al
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 21st Dec 2010 at 3:51 PM
The entire terrain is a wire mesh in triangles. If you turn on the wire mesh view you can see it easily. I haven't had any luck in smoothing rivers that gently turn but straight ones are okay. I just have learned to live with them, paint the terrain to match the water, or put rocks in the river to hide them. I am not sure its an EA bug but rather the fact that the mesh is not really that fine. In terrain building for some games, the mesh is finer and therefore you don't really see those big junks. EA's is not, probably because of the performance hits. I really don't think using a blue water to paint would cause that much drag on the world...I could be wrong, but I have run worlds with all sorts of paint, even over the 8 per bounding box with no issues. Its the accumulation of everything else that causes the issues, especially bad routing.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 21st Dec 2010 at 5:28 PM
Forgive me for my ignorance but by routing do you mean where sims can and can't walk and where they attempt to walk? How can that cause issues?

Jade Elizabeth (Alundra)
Just call me Al
Mad Poster
#10 Old 21st Dec 2010 at 6:27 PM
You just need to either hide the spot, or mess around with the land to eliminate the spot. If you make the area of water larger, the spot will definitely disappear. Don't know if more water is what you want though.
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 21st Dec 2010 at 8:04 PM
From my experience routing causes the main issues with worlds. Its easy to miss a tiny spot when painting no-routing on the terrain. Also, too many buildings, too close together, not enough room between for sims to route, anything that slows down the path of the sims such as narrow stairways, hallways, or elevators, plus probably lots of stuff I haven't discovered yet.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 22nd Dec 2010 at 7:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rian90
From my experience routing causes the main issues with worlds. Its easy to miss a tiny spot when painting no-routing on the terrain. Also, too many buildings, too close together, not enough room between for sims to route, anything that slows down the path of the sims such as narrow stairways, hallways, or elevators, plus probably lots of stuff I haven't discovered yet.

Ahh ok. I don't think I'll have those issues unless it's forced on me by LN.

Jade Elizabeth (Alundra)
Just call me Al
Scholar
#13 Old 23rd Dec 2010 at 7:29 AM
The best I was able to do with water was to just keep adding terrain under it with the small hill tool and smoothing it out again, sometimes you have to either cut a bit of terrain away or add a bit at the side of the land, it's all trial and error with that and it's a headache. Just keep playing around with it till it works, I know, not a great solution but it's all we have
Test Subject
#14 Old 20th May 2011 at 9:55 PM
It almost appears that EA uses the large-area/small-area sizing to differentiate between the opaquely textured "ocean" water and the more transparent "pond" water......in the CAW pic, i could see the water distortion even where your water is "missing". Note; the EIG function suffers from severly reduced rendering of special effects, so (hopfully) depending on the LOD (and/or misc graphic settings/capabilities), the "pond" water may be temporarily invisible.
Or, more likely, the program simply clamps to texture dimensions to improve performance. (try a lower or a higher texture rezz to see if there is change in the apparent cropping size?)
I'm sure this and other issues will only be addressed by a group of hacker-programmers with many months of free time.

P.S. : No need to point out my exceptionally late response to this thread... LOL
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 22nd May 2011 at 7:29 AM
I'm not sure what the issue is...but maybe I'll test out the graphics settings since I have a new graphics card coming :D.

Jade Elizabeth (Alundra)
Just call me Al