Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#26 Old 28th Dec 2010 at 4:50 PM
Yeah the tabbed favourites is lightyears ahead of the old way of doing it.

I'm curious: Does any other sims site have graphs like these, to track downloads on a daily, or monthly, or even per upload, basis?

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#27 Old 28th Dec 2010 at 5:44 PM
Well, they sure as hell will now. Or in a few months' time anyway :P

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Not actually evil.
#28 Old 29th Dec 2010 at 12:03 AM
Not the unethical sites with employees paid by download count. They don't want their employees having accurate figures and comparing notes.

Please spay or neuter your pets. --- Cat Music Video! --- my meshes
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#29 Old 29th Dec 2010 at 11:52 AM
I'm not talking only about paysites though - I mean any site, pay or free. My guess is... no. I mean, how many other sites have a professional programmer / system engineer (and not a creator) as the owner?

Forum Resident
#30 Old 30th Dec 2010 at 8:49 AM
I haven't noticed any other sites with it, but I think The Sim Supply may be getting one in it's next revision in the next month or so?

Facebook | Currently On Hiatus | Twitter
Current Works-In-Progress: 0
Future Car | 2012 EA Cars | Car Parts | Jet Plane | Telephone Table | Concept Car
Traditional Bed Set | Living Set | 82 Slate Roofs | 1/2-Tile Kitchen Set | Distant Terrains | Kids Bedroom
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#31 Old 30th Dec 2010 at 1:19 PM
Ahahaha and I wonder where they got the idea from.

Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#32 Old 30th Dec 2010 at 8:15 PM
As an update: I've today made the second graph on the scorecard, and the daily graphs kind of resized depending on how many uploads you have (and how many it thinks you have downloads for). Currently it works out based on 3/4 of the total number of uploads, and then appropriately sizes from there, which works in the majority of cases.

Due to this change I've also been able to convert the vertical bar graph into a horizontal bar graph, and enable labels on > 75 download graphs.

Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#33 Old 30th Dec 2010 at 8:25 PM
I have a little feature for creators like this on my site - yea, I pinched the idea off Delphy.....(and AFAIK the one coming up on TSS is the one I coded)

AND - cos its Christmas - I'm gonna be nice to Delphy now.

For all of you who have ever thought "hrmmmph, I don't like that", or "I don't like this" about MTS, I advise you to try and set up a website like this. Its HARD. You spend ages on making something and then someone says "can we have another colour?" or "can the text go sideways/upways/downways....." or "can you make it see what my upload stats were on a wet february in 2006 and while your at it can you make the biggest free sims site IN THE WORLD go faster?"

We are lucky to have a coder of Delphy's experience working on MTS. It makes MTS the awesome site it is, making it easy and fun to share our stuff and learn how to make it better. Thank you D.

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Meet Me In My Next Life
#34 Old 30th Dec 2010 at 9:57 PM Last edited by Simonut : 30th Dec 2010 at 9:59 PM. Reason: typo
Delphy Not sure if this have been mention, today I notice that when I click on a date like ( Dec 29 ) it will open up to be view, but when you try to X it out or close it after viewing, it will Not close.

Therefore the whole screen stay that greyish veil like color and it will not turn back to normal, because it will not close I try it more than once with no luck so I had to go off the mod and come back. ( I do have Abobe Flash ) This happen my Pacific Time around between 1:45 pm

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Theorist
#35 Old 31st Dec 2010 at 2:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
Due to this change I've also been able to convert the vertical bar graph into a horizontal bar graph, and enable labels on > 75 download graphs.
Great - thanks!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#36 Old 31st Dec 2010 at 3:02 PM
Simonut: It's perfectly fine for me. What browser are you using?

˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#37 Old 31st Dec 2010 at 4:09 PM

Probably IE. I tried it with IE and it won't close.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Meet Me In My Next Life
#38 Old 31st Dec 2010 at 8:34 PM

Sorry, Delphy about this also being mention in site issue section as well. The answer to what you are asking me I have it there in Site issue. ( After I found the same problem the next day I went there to be sure you or the staff would see it. )

PS. I agree with Cmomoney.

Not actually evil.
#39 Old 31st Dec 2010 at 8:56 PM
First, thank you, Delphy, for the constant updates and super site maintenance. Yes, having a professional do it does makes a huge difference.

And now for a tiny request. *ducks leefish* Might the horizontal bar graph list most downloaded stuff at the top, rather than the bottom? That's the stuff that's of most interest to me so I would like to see it first.

------------------------------------------

Simonut's issue - same problem for me when using Internet Exploder, but works fine when using Fluffyfox.

Meet Me In My Next Life
#40 Old 1st Jan 2011 at 3:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CatOfEvilGenius
Simonut's issue - same problem for me when using Internet Exploder, but works fine when using Fluffyfox.

@ Cat and cmomoney all is now working as it should now, Delphy fixed it.

Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#41 Old 1st Jan 2011 at 12:31 PM
Cat: Done. Horizontal bar charts should now list most downloaded at the top.

Not actually evil.
#42 Old 1st Jan 2011 at 9:40 PM
Delphy, thanks much! Good infovis is always appreciated.

Meet Me In My Next Life
#43 Old 2nd Jan 2011 at 9:20 PM
Maybe I miss it the first time around, but today January 2, I notice a grey like line on the graph bar that show how many have view or is viewing your creations. Thanks Delphy I like this feature.

˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#44 Old 2nd Jan 2011 at 10:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Simonut
Maybe I miss it the first time around, but today January 2, I notice a grey like line on the graph bar that show how many have view or is viewing your creations. Thanks Delphy I like this feature.

...and a green one for thanks.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#45 Old 2nd Jan 2011 at 10:49 PM
I LOVE the new thanks - its awesome yet depressing..... cos I have lots of DLs but very few thanks. Makes me sad. Come on guys - thank the uploads so we can SEE the awesome new features D has made for the creators. It encourages us all to make stuff if folks say thanks. Warm fuzzy feelings and all that....

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#46 Old 3rd Jan 2011 at 5:12 PM
Yeah I can now see daily stats for how many thanks there are vs downloads... and it's only around 4.7%. Which is quite sad for creators.

HP and I have some ideas on how to encourage people to thank more, so we'll be addressing this shortly.

Not actually evil.
#47 Old 5th Jan 2011 at 8:31 AM
Pie: Usually a good thing...

I noticed just now that the horizontal bar graph in the scorecard has been replaced with a pie chart. Perhaps this was done because it takes up less space? I appreciate your ongoing efforts to make the Scorecard even better. However, might I ask for the return of the bar graph, but with less entries, or perhaps in a small subframe with scroll bars? I ask not simply out of personal preference, but as someone married to a guy that teaches infovis. According to that field, pie charts are not as good as bar graphs at conveying numerical information. People don't interpret angles as easily as bars.

Thanks

Yay for tracking views (and thanks), your efforts are appreciated, Delphy.

I personally don't mind the thanks ratio at all. Why try to raise it? I get my satisfaction from the dl count. If someone downloaded, that probably means they liked it. I don't want the thanks button to be just another dl count. I realize some folks click thanks on stuff they particularly like but don't download, and that's great and appreciated. I certainly like when users leave thanks comments and click thanks. But I don't think anyone needs to be encouraged to thank more. If it's not spontaneously done on their own, it's not sincere, so what's the point? If thanks are rare, that makes the ones you do get all the more meaningful, no? I've always been slightly bothered when creators ask for thanks. Not singling anyone out, tons of people do this. No one owes me thanks, and I won't ask anyone for it. I create and share for fun, not for thanks. If there is "encouragement", please make it clear that it's from MTS staff and not individual creators.

-----------------------------

leesester I <3 your stuff! It is full of win and the best kind of pie! I honestly don't understand what you're upset about. You're one of the more popular creators here. Look at your dl count. Please consider this message a "thank you", not an argument.

Née whiterider
retired moderator
#48 Old 5th Jan 2011 at 3:49 PM
The pie chart is the "default", the bar chart is used when there are 15+ entries, which would render a pie chart unreadable. Personally I find them both easy enough to read, but then I've always been (relatively) good at visual mathsy-stuff.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Not actually evil.
#49 Old 6th Jan 2011 at 12:01 AM
Thanks (another idea)

If there is to be "encouragement" of thanks, could there please be a way for creators to opt out of it? I know I'm in the minority when it comes to not actively asking for thanks, and I understand wanting to make those creators who want lots of thanks happy. I just don't want to be made to look like I'm soliciting thanks when I'm not. Just to clarify, I'm all for thanks, they're great, so long as they're freely given, not given because they were asked for.

edit:
I'm really hoping the "encouragement" will not take the form of some kind of "reward" for lots of thanks. I don't think MTS would bribe people to thank, but the very thought is just so distasteful that I'm bringing it up at the risk of offending people.

Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#50 Old 6th Jan 2011 at 9:27 AM
A "reward" for lots of thanks? What the heck? I don't think thats *ever* going to happen.

No, what we are thinking of is basically just say to say to the downloader "Hey, you've only thanked 10% of the things you download, maybe you should go and thank the creators of the thing you like." In other words, absolutely not mandatory, and just a message that people can choose to ignore if they want. It's more about making people aware of the fact that they might have gone and downloaded 100 things but only thanked 2, and it's nice to the creators if they do. (Most of them, anyway...)

But this is really getting OFF the subject of the scorecard, and should probably be moved to another thread.

Page 2 of 3