Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Jan 2011 at 6:54 PM
Default Is there a way to tuck pants into skin-tight boots?
I made some skinny jeans on an underwear mesh so that nothing clips through 3D boots around the ankles. This works really nicely so far.

Now I would like to tuck the jeans into skin-tight boots like afShoesKneeHighBoot and afShoesAnkleAHiHeelPointy01_thighHighBoot from the base game as well.

I have read that the shoes texture is normally overruled by the bottom texture which is then overruled by the top texture.
So is it possible at all to make my bottom texture go under the shoes texture?

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Advertisement
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#2 Old 20th Jan 2011 at 9:59 PM
I'd clone one of the pirate clothes because their pants legs are already designed to fit into boots. or at least take that pirate mesh apart to see what they did.
Sockpuppet
#3 Old 20th Jan 2011 at 10:33 PM
I dont know why but you can not do it with CTU, many have tried but somehow the pants textures keep overruling the shoetextures.(wich is normal on most outfits but not on the thighhighboot)
The partmask texture normally defines how far a shoe texture can overrule the pants but it doesn't work when using CTU.(well, it partly works as it depends wich part you put on a sim first in CAS....)
Mother Function
retired moderator
#4 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 1:31 AM
I think you may have to pick the part mask of a pair of shorts or maybe capris and apply it to your jeans via TSRW

"Holy Shift! Check out the asymptotes on that mother function!"
Sockpuppet
#5 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 2:25 AM
Oops, we are talking about a pants here....
I was to much thinking about the skintight boots, srry
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#6 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 10:29 AM
You can change the part mask in CTU too - don't know if it'd work, but if you've so far made this in CTU you may want to try that before importing everything over to TSRW.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 1:13 PM
Wow, that's a lot of replies. Thank you!

Porkypine, do you mean the AM pirate outfit from the Store? That one can't do what I need either. The French outfit from World Adventures ist just the same. Apparently, they were also built to fit only into 3D boots. (These boots were used in the screenshot.)

About the part masks... When I extract the part mask from the underwear mesh I used (afBottomBriefs) and the one from afBottomShortsMidlength_Casual in CTU, they look exactly the same. Actually, I have checked all bottom meshes, and they all are the same. What am I doing wrong? xD
Screenshots

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Sockpuppet
#8 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 2:50 PM
You need to do wat Daluved said but if they are all the same you need to black out the white part way up to the knee area or even higher.
This might work with CTU also.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 2:57 PM
I accidentally stumbled into a solution for this problem a while back. I noticed that a particular top that I cloned caused my texture to overrule the bottoms. So out of curiosity, I cloned the same top and replaced the meshes and textures with that of the base game thigh high boots. I tested it in-game it successfully overruled the bottom's texture. I used "afTopShirtFitted_tank" and just changed the Clothing Type to shoes. I primarily use TSRW, but this should work with CTU as well. You could change part to male, unless you find a male top with overruling textures, but cloning the female top "afTopShirtFitted_tank" will most likely do the trick.

You could create two versions of the boots, one that overrides bottoms and one that can be worn under bottoms as well.
Screenshots
Sockpuppet
#10 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 2:59 PM
But he is creating a pants
I also made that mistake earlier but thats a good find tho!!
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 3:04 PM
Haha, I must have just skimmed through without reading fully. Hmmm, I'm stumped on this one. Now I really want to find a solution.
Sockpuppet
#12 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 3:07 PM
Think blacking out the legs on the partmask should fix this(in theory)
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 3:40 PM
In both CTU and TSRW, I completely blacked out the part mask of a pair of pants (alpha as well) and it made no noticeable difference. The unaltered base game boots still appear under the pants texture in-game. I remember reading somewhere that the part mask has no in-game affect and is just a guide showing what areas can be textured. Someone else may have better luck with the tweaking the part mask and getting results, but it doesn't seem to be working for me.

frizelbliz, if this is for personal use maybe you could ask for permission from the creator of the boots if you could possibly copy the mesh and textures to one that will allow your pants to be tucked in?
Mother Function
retired moderator
#14 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 3:59 PM
I would also try copying the partmask from EA tights/stockings. Those definitely get overruled by shoes. Or maybe even clone a pair of stocking and reimpot meshes, textures, etc.

I think the CTU may not properly update partmasks, so if you wish to change one, you'll have to do it in TSRW. Which is why just cloning the stockings (in theory) might be the easiest route.

"Holy Shift! Check out the asymptotes on that mother function!"
Sockpuppet
#15 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 3:59 PM
i have a outfit that you can expiriment with, gotto look
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 4:39 PM Last edited by frizelbliz : 22nd Jan 2011 at 6:50 PM.
Okay... So I tried to clone a pair of stockings and import all the textures and meshes and change the part types to imitate a bottom . When saving, CTU throws an exception: 'Unable to read beyond the end of the stream.' I guess that means you can't mess around with CAS part categorys like that. xD

Daluved, I made a part mask with the legs cut off, saved and closed the file, reopened it, made it display the part mask and the new part mask was still there. Does it need more to be properly updated? Otherwise part masks would be just useless, like .indiemilk suggested.

.Indiemilk, I don't even need that feature so bad that I would make the effort to rip apart and put together again all the skin-tight boots I have. xD In fact, the pants are in the moderation queue at the moment, and I was asked to try and make unlimited tuckedness possible for my items. That's the only reason why I'm asking for help.

Sockpuppet
#17 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 4:51 PM Last edited by BloomsBase : 21st Jan 2011 at 5:16 PM.
Here is a pants i hope some of you will test(i cant run the game anymore since one harddisk broke down)
It is a pants i once made for someone but he didn't want it.
It has the waist of a normal pants but half way the thigh its skintight(nude legs)

Has 3 designs, neglect the first one.
Try the thighhigh boots on the 2nd and 3rd design, also try to clothe a sim with shoes first and vice versa.
If im correct the 2nd design will work while the 3rd will fail

The lod2 and 3 are not finished.

I tell you the secret when i get some feedback :P
I did empty the partmasks wich might screw things up, i hope not.
Made with TSRW

Edit,

Oh, its a female pants
Attached files:
File Type: rar  skintightpants.rar (299.4 KB, 60 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 4:53 PM Last edited by .indiemilk : 21st Jan 2011 at 5:24 PM.
I posted this before I saw the last two responses: I'm not sure about CTU, but in TSRW stockings don't even have mesh tab because they don't use any particular mesh as the texture is placed directly onto the skin. Creating a bottoms accessory by cloning stockings and replacing the textures with the one from your pants would work though, unless you have a shirt that you'd want tucked into the pants. In that case, the top texture would overlap the accessory pants (stockings).

ETA: I checked out your file in-game Bloom, but I couldn't get the boots to appear over the pants texture. I tried putting on each bottom design before and after adding on the boots. Maybe someone else had a different result.
Sockpuppet
#19 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 4:55 PM
yup, you can not use the stockings as they are overlay textures
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 10:47 AM
Bloom, I tried exactly the same things like .indiemilk and I can't get any of the designs to layer under skin-tight boots either.

Sockpuppet
#21 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 4:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by .indiemilk
ETA: I checked out your file in-game Bloom, but I couldn't get the boots to appear over the pants texture. I tried putting on each bottom design before and after adding on the boots. Maybe someone else had a different result.

I was hoping it had something to do the skinhighlight(thought it was called that way?) option, aparently not....

This might sound stupid but you might want to try the shoe error
Clone a shoe and change it in your pants.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#22 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 6:36 PM
Okay, this is what happens:
A) It doesn't work.
B) Glitchy arms and top.

Look at it and have a laugh. And excuse the tacky color choice. xD

Apparently, changing the part category to bottom breaks the feature we want in any case.
Screenshots

Sockpuppet
#23 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 6:50 PM
Wich proggy you used?
With TSRW you need to save your workfile and reopen it when changing category

If you used CTU you have to update the comments in Milkshape.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#24 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 7:04 PM
I used CTU.
So, what would be easier: Importing everything over to TSRW and learning how to use that program, or learning how to use Milkshape and what comments even are? xD

Sockpuppet
#25 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 8:17 PM
I would definatly recomment TSRW for a beginner, CTU is limited when creating a new file for the pants.(you will need Milkshape/s3PE or Postal and BMM)
Ill try if i can fix my file
Page 1 of 2